Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2021, 08:36   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Happy to share that the Daimler Lanchester Owners Club, UK (DLOC) has published the 2022 Calendar and I was in for a surprise!

Attachment 2234063

Made to the July'22 Page!
Attachment 2234064

Cheers

KPS
Hearty congratulations KPS. A reward for your labour of love.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 21:15   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Hearty congratulations KPS. A reward for your labour of love.
Hehehe. KPS, now you get to travel the world. Kudos!!!!
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 15:16   #273
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

After more than 12 months of use and having clocked close to 2000 kms in the car, it was time to revisit Rodricks Restorations. In 2022, there are some major road trips planned and hence the car needed a complete check up.

While all fluids had to be changed, small niggles too had to be fixed. I also wanted an electric fan fitted as an upgrade, after being stuck in quite a few traffic jams in Bangalore.

One niggle from the recent past was that oil was leaking from the Fluid Flywheel. As the oil level falls in the fluid flywheel, there is loss of power.

As a short term measure, we used to top up the fluid flywheel oil and continue to use the car. Since the gear box had to be removed, wanted postponed as much as possible, till Chris could make space for the car in his packed garage.

Since a major road trip is planned, we could not postpone this work. The culprit was higher oil clearance in the bushing on the fluid flywheel. We had to machine a new one and fix the same

Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon-1.jpg

Another thing which was was in my pending list for such a long time, was the crank hole cover. This piece is just not available any where. Fitted in a unique way, the grill had to be removed to get this done.

BHPian Srinand was kind enough to get his tinker to build one from scratch. Chris modified and refined this same, to fit is just like it should look!

Seen with the cover closed
Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon-2.jpg

You can see it is hinged on top and has to be opened upwards
Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon-3.jpg

Demonstrating the closing
Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon-4.jpg

Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon-5.jpg

This has come out far better than I expected

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 16:04   #274
BHPian

Brilliant attention to details, kudos to KPS and Christopher
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 11:53   #275
BANNED

The semaphore was a neat idea at the time. And reminds me of the one we found fascinating, as children, on our bua's Hindustan-14 (erstwhile Morris Oxford of the 50's) in Allahabad.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 17:09   #276
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Some updates on the recent work

Fitted a fan to the radiator, to take care of the heating issues, we experience being stuck in one of those notorious traffic jams at Bangalore.

Secondly, the Starting Handle has been fixed back at its original position, under the bonnet. With a fluid flywheel, you cannot push start this car! Hence the Starting Handle is very important

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 15:32   #277
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

The car came back home, after a through check at Rodricks Restoration,
Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon-11.jpg

The following work has been done on the car

Engine oil replaced, Gear oil replaced, Differential oil top-up.

Coolant added 2 L, Distilled water added, Sacrificial anode fitted inside radiator.

Comprehensive tuning for optimum running, New spark plugs.

New exhaust flexi pipe fitted with clamps. The allows the silencer to flex and pressure on the manifold bolts significantly reduces. Reduces the possibility of leaks, an issue I faced in the Sandur trip

Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon-6.jpg

Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon-7.jpg

Gearbox removed for change of fluid flywheel seal. Fluid flywheel center PB bushing replaced. Fluid flywheel calibration for optimum clearance.Bell housing cleaned and detailed as original.

Front grill assembly fitted and realigned. Radiator mounting assembly fitted. Radiator electric 10” fan fitted with brackets. Electric fan relay fitted. Electric fan switch and bracket installed.

Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon-5.jpg

All wheel drums sanded. Brake mechanical cylinders serviced. Brake hardware serviced.

Steering link arm bushes refabricated and fitted. Tie rod ends replaced all. LH king pin bushes fabricated and replaced.

Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon-9.jpg

Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon-10.jpg

Carburettor banjo bolt fabricated and chrome plated. Carburettor banjo adaptor fitted. Brass mesh fuel filter added to carburettor.

Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon-8.jpg

Three clamps fabricated and chromed for new badges. Starting handle clamp fabricated. Crank hole cover fabricated and installed

The car is now set for the 2022! Plan to do 2000-3000 kms in 2022!

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 10th February 2022 at 15:34.
KPS is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 12:37   #278
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (3)

Mr. KPS, I feel like - installing a dual inline radiator fan (which covers whole radiator) could have increased the cooling capacity and performance of your masterpiece.
rohanhsaraf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 17:01   #279
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanhsaraf View Post
Mr. KPS, I feel like - installing a dual inline radiator fan (which covers whole radiator) could have increased the cooling capacity and performance of your masterpiece.
I am still running with the Dynamo. Had I installed a Alternator, probably the load would have been manageable. The fan is used mostly in heavy traffic. On the highway, it is not required. The radiator is not pressurized.

Everything is tight fit in this car.

Appreciate your suggestions. Thanks for following the work done

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 13th February 2022 at 17:07.
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 07:55   #280
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

The Feb'22 issue of "The Driving Member" the monthly magazine of the Daimler Lanchester Owners' Club (DLOC), features my car in two places

The Editor was fascinated by the Temple Chariot next to my car on the Sandur-Chitradurga Highway

The lovely article by Pablo Chaterji of Motoring World, was reproduced with kind permission.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 09:11   #281
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Spent time with Chris last morning, as we worked on adjusting the tappets, after more than 2000 kms use.

Getting ready for adjust the tappets. Having the original Starting Handle makes this exercise relatively easy. The tappet cover is opened and starting handle engaged

Shows the how the Crank Hole Cover is operated. The Starting Handle in place and the crank hole cover in open position

Chris adjusts the tappets while I operate the starting handle

With the manual in place, Chris explained to me how this is done. .

Fascinating to watch the way Chris approaches his work. Very systematic, no short cuts and totally focused. Do it once and do it right

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:10   #282
BHPian

Having started the day at 0430, shuttling between Kochi, Kolkata, Bengaluru and finally to Coimbatore, I was looking forward to reaching Vivanta and hitting the bed. Alas, destiny had other plans. Reaching the hotel and stepping out of the car, I spot this beauty. Ditching my first officer, I went straight for her. Somehow, my mind convinced my body to stop thinking about how tired I was and take it all in. Stood staring at her for a good couple of minutes, did the customary walk around, admired her timeless curves, snapped a couple of pictures. Sir, you truly have done a magnificant job. Peace
Attached Thumbnails
Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon-20220221_165319.jpg  

Air_Kerala is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 10:31   #283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Spent time with Chris last morning, as we worked on adjusting the tappets, after more than 2000 kms use........Fascinating to watch the way Chris approaches his work. Very systematic, no short cuts and totally focused. Do it once and do it right

Cheers

KPS

Takes me back to my 5th Engr days when tappet adjustment of the alternator diesel engines was de rigueur for us, while the 4th engr watched with eagle eyes that there was no cutting corners!
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 11:36   #284
BHPian

KPS Sir, this is a fantastic car, a true classic. Hope you keep it for a long time and keep giving us updates as you have been.

If you don't mind could you share the cost of restoring a classic car to such a pristine condition? I have been wondering about this for years now.
KingKong is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 16:31   #285
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Kerala View Post
..............., I spot this beauty............... Stood staring at her for a good couple of minutes, did the customary walk around, admired her timeless curves, snapped a couple of pictures. Sir, you truly have done a magnificent job. Peace

Sorry for the delayed revert. Air_Kerala, you are being too kind. Glad you like the way she looks! If you have read this thread, you can easily connect as to why this car is a Star!

This picture is just after we arrived in Coimbatore from Bangalore.

Happy to inform you that we returned home last noon after a 2100 kms drive in the Daimler. She performed flawlessly as we travelled Bangalore to Coimbatore to Munnar to Kochi to Madurai to Karaikudi to Pondicherry to Chennai and returning home to Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKong View Post
If you don't mind could you share the cost of restoring a classic car to such a pristine condition? I have been wondering about this for years now.
Actually each to his own. There are no boundaries on the amount time and money what can be spent. The same car could be restored differently based on the eccentricity of the current owner!

I follow certain rule, namely I will not spend more money than what to car is currently worth.

Preference should be to sort the car mechanically, use the car, before doing a complete restoration.

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 7th March 2022 at 16:43.
KPS is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks