Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 21:49   #451
Senior - BHPian

NE and Fiat steerings are very different. NE's milling is different from the
Fiat. You get lot of after market and Sports steering for Fiats in scrap yard. I have never seen even a single one for NE. Every Ne has the original steering. Wonder if there were never any after market steerings for NE.

S1 steering is difficult to find which is in proper condition. Atlleast in Bangalore, they are very very rare. As Arun said anywhere between 50-200 bucks is a good buy.

S1 grill also was slightly different. Yes, it was plastic. The PAL logo was little thinner. Agaim , I am fortunate to have one at home. As many guessed, Arun gifted that to me.

Delight grill prices are again subjective. All depends on the seller. If you are very lucky, may be you get it for 100 bucks. If not anywhere between 400-500 for a good one is a cool buy
Old 26th February 2010, 21:54   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
S1 grill also was slightly different. Yes, it was plastic. The PAL logo was little thinner.
And the Logo fits at the top of the grill.. Make of the grill and PAL logo was Sunax.
Old 26th February 2010, 21:56   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
And the Logo fits at the top of the grill.. Make of the grill and PAL logo was Sunax.

Correct. Also, its hardly noticeable. Only the real FIATIANS can identify it
Old 26th February 2010, 22:13   #454
Senior - BHPian

Which S1 steering are you referring to karthik. The one which is on my car. They are the ones easily available here. Can you post some reference pics of original S1 grill and logo. I have one grill stocked up for a very long time. Will have a look at it and its make.
Old 26th February 2010, 22:22   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Which S1 steering are you referring to karthik. The one which is on my car. They are the ones easily available here. Can you post some reference pics of original S1 grill and logo. I have one grill stocked up for a very long time. Will have a look at it and its make.
Karthik is referring to the last model of S1 steering. It looks like that of Alto's steering.

Here is a pic of my car with S1 grill. I think your car did not come this special grill.
I miss this grill!! Karthik give it back.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc08095.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 26th February 2010, 22:30   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Karthik is referring to the last model of S1 steering. It looks like that of Alto's steering.

Here is a pic of my car with S1 grill. I think your car did not come this special grill.
I miss this grill!! Karthik give it back.
The steering in reference here is the one owned by karthik having problem of horn button. Am i right. Sirji my car came with whatever type of grill, but till date it has changed almost 17 grills. I don't have any front photo of it when it was new. I do have one or two displaying its back. Will post it sometime for the original color reference.
BTW i don't see any type of difference in your car's grill and mine.

Last edited by samsag12 : 26th February 2010 at 22:31.
Old 26th February 2010, 22:36   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
BTW i don't see any type of difference in your car's grill and mine.
Cool then! You seem to have a nice S1 grill!
Old 27th February 2010, 11:07   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arun and all - there is a story behind the "thin" monogram & why it was shifted up. In 1991, external projections were included in CMVR. In the certification test to be conducted at ARAI, a 250 mm diameter ball is rolled on the external surfaces and any projections must not touch the ball. Therefore, the monogram was moved towards the bonnet so that the ball would touch the bonnet edge and provide relief. Even after doing this, we had to reduce the monogram thickness to provide clearance with the ball. Therefore, the thin monogram. Its mounting face has a taper, it is not straight. The bumper ends were similarly modified but the modification is so minor that you will not be able to differentiate between pre 1991 bumpers and post 1991 bumpers. The post 1991 bumpers are turned inwards more. The bumper tools were modified. The layout part number for 1991 CMVR bumpers was PA-L-3157/5.63.000. The layout was done by my colleague Mr.H.K.Mistry, an absolute master of layouts and engineering drawings, also my teacher. The choke cable was moved out of the instrument cluster for the same reason. Choke cable mounting bracket for LHD / RHD is a mirror image design.There is a joke here. I ordered for 1 no RHD part to be made in R&D workshop in second shift. The next day morning, I got a mirror image of what I wanted. I wanted for RHD, I got LHD part which I kept in my drawer and when I made LHD, I calmly used it for the prototype.

NOW YOU KNOW! HA HA HA!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2010, 11:17   #459
Senior - BHPian

Behram Sir,

I always thought that the thin monogram and this design grille was just for looks sake.

But now we know the story behind it! All thanks to you.

Karthik: I suggest you to preserve the S1 grill well considering the design story behind it. After few years we may not find that grille at all...
Old 27th February 2010, 15:44   #460
BHPian

Lot of changes has been made in Premier Padmini, but the theme behind the grill was just out of my imagination, that Premier has been so keen on improvement without much alteration.

Thanks Premier Auto for giving us the S1.
Old 27th February 2010, 22:11   #461
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much Dhabhar sir for sharing the story behind the grill. It seems each and every part of the PP were designed to perfection carrying a good story behind it. Just because of the certification the company had to do changes in the grill. We never thought of something like that before.
Old 28th February 2010, 19:46   #462
Senior - BHPian

Fiatians.. Petrol prices have gone up! We need to think of alternatives to improve the mileage of our cars.

Ilango: Whats the status of your Mikuni carb adapter project?

We need some solution like this to improve the mileage of our cars. Conversion to Mikuni procedure is already explained but if a adapter is readily available to fix it, then it will help in a large scale.

Fiat Gurus, your suggestions
Old 28th February 2010, 22:44   #463
BHPian

I have picked up a mikuni, looks like now will have to get an adaptor.
Old 1st March 2010, 09:28   #464
BHPian

Arun: Actually this was an experiment to be done on a colleague's car. The project has'nt moved any further after the adaptor was made. Either of us havent found a leisure time to open up the vehicle and proceed further. Wil update in the forum as and when we progress.
Old 1st March 2010, 11:30   #465
Senior - BHPian

Recently i restored this meter which many of you know. I was wondering whether the temperature gauge cable is available in the market which is used in this type of meter. It doesn't have full cable with it. The wire is cut in half and i think cannot be joined. Whats the solution, can i get a new cable for it in the market. If yes then what is it called.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0082.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks