Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2016, 13:33   #1396
Senior - BHPian

Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Since we're talking about the bolting Nissan A12 into the FIAT 1100/PP; here is one lovely restoration thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ni-1989-a.html
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 14:15   #1397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Since we're talking about the bolting Nissan A12 into the FIAT 1100/PP; here is one lovely restoration thread.
Dear Fintail - I know CKO6116, it is Prabhuav's car. It is done much better than this one! I still do not approve of the brake booster position, the suspended pedals and the electronic power steering. The Padmini has 10" brakes which means that it is over-braked by design, braking area is more than sufficient. Floor mounted pedals could have been used with the NISSAN transmission as cable operation was engineered and was in production in S1 RHD and LHD cars. Power steering is not required, with correct caster and correct tire pressure, it is power steering compatible in any case! You can see the main and return fuel lines near the carburettor, the car cannot run on the mechanical fuel pump as it fouled with the chassis.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 22:04   #1398

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Adivir - hello to you. Kamal Automobiles was the PAL dealership in Jaipur. The owner was Mr.Dayanidhi Kasliwal, lovingly known as "gattababu". Please ask your father if he still has some contact. If yes, please pass on a message to Dayanidhi, that Behram Dhabhar had come to your dealership in the last week of October 1994 with MMB1975 and MMY5189, both Premier Safari Service Vans in blue color with yellow top, on the way to New Delhi and beyond for the Himalayan Rally. He may still remember!
Dear Behram Sir,
Happy New Year! Thank you so much for your response. I will ask my father to extend your message to Mr Kasliwal sir whenever he visits Jaipur next. My Premier Padmini just came back after paint job and I will post some more pictures as soon as I have them. Your observation about the rear bumper is perfectly right. Hoping to be guided by you in the future too!
Regards!

Last edited by ampere : 17th January 2016 at 22:54. Reason: Edited quoted content
Old 18th January 2016, 22:27   #1399
BHPian

So my S1 is at the mechanic's place and I got a call from the mechanic this afternoon and these pictures:

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-timing_chain.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-time7.jpg

Powerloss, clatter from the engine and exhaust leaks were the main reasons why the car was taken to the mechanic. Though we initially suspected the tappets for the sound, the mechanic says the sound is coming from the timing chain and it has to be replaced (the whole timing chain set with the cogs). I am unable to make out anything from the pictures he sent. Do you guys see anything that should be taken care of from these two pictures?

P.S:- Thanks Goutham for the lead to the mechanic and your help. Hopefully we can go together and see the car in the next couple of days at the workshop.

P.P.S:- The car has a Mikuni carb (from Zen) and an electronic distributor set from Contessa.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 18th January 2016 at 22:39. Reason: Adding the last line.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 14:09   #1400
Senior - BHPian

@Behram sir:

1) I think its time for me to change the clutch of my S1 column shift. Is this clutch of regular Padmini or is it of 118 NE? Whats the brand I should go for.
2) Front coil springs seem weak, the entire front is sunk in quite a bit. Are they available now. Any specifications or brand.
3) Tie rod ends needs replacement. What make is available in market that's of good quality?
Old 1st February 2016, 17:21   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
@Behram sir:

1) I think its time for me to change the clutch of my S1 column shift. Is this clutch of regular Padmini or is it of 118 NE? Whats the brand I should go for.
2) Front coil springs seem weak, the entire front is sunk in quite a bit. Are they available now. Any specifications or brand.
3) Tie rod ends needs replacement. What make is available in market that's of good quality?
Dear Karthik,

3) Rane ones are available at CAR Automobiles on J C road, but without outer packing and at eye-watering price. The RANE stamping is there on the parts though.

Goutham
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:16   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Dear Karthik,

3) Rane ones are available at CAR Automobiles on J C road, but without outer packing and at eye-watering price. The RANE stamping is there on the parts though.

Goutham
I dropped the idea of replacing the coil springs. In entire JC road, total of 4 units of coil springs were there.
- A brand new one
- 2 used ones
- 1 used and of slightly higher height

I was not convinced as I couldn't find 2 brand new ones and dropped the idea. Purchased the rubber pads and the rubber bushes for the arms. Mechanic Anji says the new rubber bushes should increase the height a bit. I have also purchased spacers and thinking on whether to use it or not. The ride quality may become very harsh. Yet to take a call on this. The front shock absorber had a leak and got a Gabriel make.

I already purchased the tie rod ends and cant remember the make. Purchased the long tie rod ends also as per mechanic suggestion.

Brake hoses too need replacement and has been purchased.

Valeo 118 clutch kit and release bearing has been purchased and by now this may have been installed also.

Unable to find good gold seal beadings from Gujari, I purchased a Aluminium beading that will be replaced. I was lucky enough to find a family lock set. I can breathe easy now with a single key for door, dickey and fuel.

Car Automobiles have become 100% opportunists these days. While Best, Nitin and other Automobiles were quoting premium price 1800 for a pair of coil springs due to lack of supply, Car Automobiles wanted me to pay up 1450 per spring.

The best part was, the very 4 same springs were getting circulated in all of the shops I visited
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 11:03   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
The best part was, the very 4 same springs were getting circulated in all of the shops I visited

Whats the status of the car now? The clutch work is done?

Goutham
Old 9th February 2016, 14:02   #1404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. New rubber bushes should increase the height a bit. 2. I have also purchased spacers and thinking on whether to use it or not. The ride quality may become very harsh. Yet to take a call on this. 3. The front shock absorber had a leak and got a Gabriel make. 4. I already purchased the tie rod ends and cant remember the make. Purchased the long tie rod ends also as per mechanic suggestion. 5. Brake hoses too need replacement and has been purchased. 6. Valeo 118 clutch kit and release bearing has been purchased and by now this may have been installed also. 7. 1800 for a pair of coil springs due to lack of supply.
Dear Karthik - my reply is as follows:

1. How can rubber bushes increase ride height? It will not happen. You will get better performance due to the new rubber but that's about all.
2. Please DO NOT do such nonsensical things on your car.
3. Gabriel was OE, so OK.
4. This should be Rane make.
5. This should be Brakes India make only. These are safety critical parts, be careful (TVS Girling).
6. It is not advisable to replace the clutch kit. Does your car have NISSAN transmission?
7. Reasonable if they are original. They are very difficult to find nowadays.

When you open the front suspension, please be very careful with the spiders.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 14:20   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Behram sir!!!

All the works are complete and got the car few days ago and I already finished close to 500kms of running.

1. How can rubber bushes increase ride height? It will not happen. You will get better performance due to the new rubber but that's about all.
Oops. I think I miswrote as bushes. The spring pads I suppose.
2. Please DO NOT do such nonsensical things on your car.
Spacers weren't used and will be returned.
I also have to say I was pretty lucky to not find a even and good looking set of springs. I also stumbled upon this thread also. Have to thank the unavailability big time! The best was to put back the old springs which thankfully I did due to circumstances.
3. Gabriel was OE, so OK.
Cool
4. This should be Rane make.
Rane wasn't available. No shop in Bangalore. Had to put local ones, out of no choice.
5. This should be Brakes India make only. These are safety critical parts, be careful (TVS Girling).
Brakes India make they were.
6. It is not advisable to replace the clutch kit. Does your car have NISSAN transmission?
Nissan transmission, clutch plate was worn out. I got the Valeo kit and release bearing and got it replaced.
7. Reasonable if they are original. They are very difficult to find nowadays.
Not even close to being original. They looked and felt shabby, was of uneven height.

All the works are complete and got the car few days ago and I already finished close to 500kms of running. The front height has increased slightly, may be because of the new pads (?), the issue with the RPM rising and car not delivering proportionate power is gone with the new clutch.

I also got a family lock set (some local brand). Happy to have just 1 key in the pocket. I leave the ignition key at the slot itself after using the car. I just lock the car from outside (who would steal a Padmini yet).

Need to find a good set of used Bumpers and a sun shade.

Last edited by funkykar : 9th February 2016 at 14:21.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 09:15   #1406
BHPian

Quote:
(who would steal a Padmini yet).
So where do you live?

Even if people don't steal PPs they steal everything on the car, wheel caps, side pattis, headlight rings, sunshade and even luggage carriers.

Need to be careful.
Old 10th February 2016, 20:18   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
So where do you live?

Even if people don't steal PPs they steal everything on the car, wheel caps, side pattis, headlight rings, sunshade and even luggage carriers.

Need to be careful.
Kumara Park! Ping me before you come, I will leave the door also unlocked. As you already state, the cosmetics that get stolen, and again the lock doesn't help in any ways
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 11:56   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen

I have a 1972 Fiat 1100D. I would like to explore the possibility of fitting a air conditioner. I know one of the biggest problems to deal with will be keeping engine temperature in check. Can you please direct me to a reliable garage. The car is in top shape and requires no cosmetic or mechanical attention. I'll be driving the car from Calicut to Bangalore in a week or so. On checking with the garage in Calicut who carried out the partial rebuild of the car, they advised me to get the aircon job done in Bangalore, as it might be cheaper and there may be more options and better components available in my city. I'd like your take on this.
Old 15th February 2016, 15:57   #1409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Gentlemen, I have a 1972 Fiat 1100D. I would like to explore the possibility of fitting a air conditioner. I know one of the biggest problems to deal with will be keeping engine temperature in check. Can you please direct me to a reliable garage. The car is in top shape and requires no cosmetic or mechanical attention. I'll be driving the car from Calicut to Bangalore in a week or so. On checking with the garage in Calicut who carried out the partial rebuild of the car, they advised me to get the aircon job done in Bangalore, as it might be cheaper and there may be more options and better components available in my city. I'd like your take on this.
Dear Sandeepmohan - hello to you. Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm, but please remember that the Fiat 1100 engine has a 3 main bearing crankshaft construction which is not conducive to take the AC. I agree that people have been fitting ACs in the Fiat 1100 for 40 years now (MMD3232 and MMD2979 were the first two cars in the company in December 1976), I have myself worked on and introduced the AC system on the Padmini S1 in production, but the crankshaft still has only 3 main bearings and not 5 main bearings, which please note. My take would be not to do it. Finally it is your car, so your decision. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 12:06   #1410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
My take would be not to do it.
I am going to take your advice. It is an old car after all. I don't want to end up frequenting the garage after fixing an aircon.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to get a electrical motor to drive the compressor? Or are the load requirements too high?

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 16th February 2016 at 12:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks