Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 11:30   #856
BHPian

Re: Classic Volkswagens in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
I believe your bus is from Europe and so it is likely to have a 1500cc engine.But 1500cc never had twin ports .Actually 1500cc engines were intended primarly to use in Type 1 but were fitted to Type2 and variant models.The 1500cc baywindows are there even in 1975
yes ajay ji, you are correct the bus was purchased by my uncle from hamburg -Germany on special order for RHD,may be this is the reason she has sliding door on the driver side,i had penned down the history of the bus some where in this forum last year,i also have the video will try uploading on you tube, the story of the bus by the owner,he traveled almost the whole world with this bus as he was a naval engineer,so she is 1500 cc thanks a lot
Old 7th February 2011, 11:38   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Its a 1600cc Twin port engine, these engines came in Baywindow's starting from 1969 - 1971. Later all the Baywindows carried 1303 twin port engines.

Link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/...a_french/9.jpg

Barring 1972 where all American Baywindow's were manufactured with 1500cc engines. But few models were manufactured with walk through aisle came with 1708 cc Twin port engine. But this was only for 8 month period.And i am lucky to own one such rare model.

Link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/72bus/back.jpg
dear Pawan i doubt the 1700cc thing as per my info the vw didnt make any aircooled above 1600 cc ,what does mr ajay suggest ?
Old 7th February 2011, 11:47   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
Here is the Engine bay pic.
beautiful car, 3 advices: change the fuel pipes, change the coil to Bosch blue and paint the wheels body colour not silver! i also had a variant amongst 4 beetles and a bus at one time but now i have only 2 beetles and a golf!
Old 7th February 2011, 12:07   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
what my info says it is a 1600 super bug -German, as i have seen this car personally
this is not a super beetle, its a 1302. 1303 is called a super beetle with its curved windscreen. the 1302 retains the flat windscreen but has the mcpherson struts in front, 1302S is 1600 with front disc brakes.
Old 7th February 2011, 12:40   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
beautiful car but seems not to be in very good hands
Actually quite shabby as described by Kasli. You see, the hands are also full and she was away during monsoon to fix the hood, thereafter in a lock-up where someone even damaged the side. Engine + brakes were just fixed, and so now she must be run in and this was an opportunity. Getting all the rubbers and dash parts together and will rebuild.

Cheers harit
Old 7th February 2011, 13:11   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerman View Post
this is not a super beetle, its a 1302. 1303 is called a super beetle with its curved windscreen. the 1302 retains the flat windscreen but has the mcpherson struts in front, 1302S is 1600 with front disc brakes.
Disagree pls take some time and go through SuperBeetles.Com
you will easily find what is called a super beetle, i believe we argued on this topic some time before ?
Old 7th February 2011, 14:20   #862
BHPian

Quote:
dear Pawan i doubt the 1700cc thing as per my info the vw didnt make any aircooled above 1600 cc ,what does mr ajay suggest ?
The type-4 engine, Which was first used in the 411/412, And later in the Baywindow bus, Came in 1700, 1800, and 2000cc.

On the bus, It was a option from 1972 onwards in Europe, But was standard in US and Canadian models.
Old 7th February 2011, 17:40   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Disagree pls take some time and go through SuperBeetles.Com
you will easily find what is called a super beetle, i believe we argued on this topic some time before ?
See this info.

The story behind one of the most desired and best loved Beetles - THE GT BEETLE

In the early 70's VW were put under pressure through the demands of their customers.
They were wanting more in the cars they were buying, this gave VW the motivation needed to release a series of special edition Beetles such as the Marathon Beetle, the Jeans Beetle and the GT Beetle.

"The first special edition, and quite probably the best ever Beetle, was the sports model - The GT Beetle. It was the most well known of all the special editions, and VW started releasing them in 1972.
Only 2500 of these GT's were made, they were firstly introduced to the UK market, but then spread out more, with the last GT Beetle being sold in April 2003.
The GT Beetle, priced at £997 was only £19 more than the contemporary 1300 model.

The sports bug took its foundation from the European 1300s, which was a 1300 fitted with a 1584 engine that was putting out 50bhp, and had the advantage of front discs.
When sold in the UK, bizzarely they kept the 1300s badge, which if you didnt like, the dealer would have it removed and replace with the VW GT Beetle badge. Apparently, the reason for so many people keeping the 1300s badge, is that they had lower insurance premiums due to the badge. Imagine if that was the case now!!

One of the most endearing factors of the GT, was its distinctive colour choice. Out of the 2500 made, 50% were sold in lemon yellow, 40% in apple green, and 10% in tomato red.

Other styling tweaks that set the GT apart from other beetles of its day, were the Elephants foot lighting cluster. This is a favourite for the German look of today."

Old 8th February 2011, 22:53   #864
Team-BHP Support

Here's a couple more beetles from Goa:
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-beetle_goa1.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 9th February 2011, 13:59   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
See this info.

The story behind one of the most desired and best loved Beetles - THE GT BEETLE

In the early 70's VW were put under pressure through the demands of their customers.
They were wanting more in the cars they were buying, this gave VW the motivation needed to release a series of special edition Beetles such as the Marathon Beetle, the Jeans Beetle and the GT Beetle.

"The first special edition, and quite probably the best ever Beetle, was the sports model - The GT Beetle. It was the most well known of all the special editions, and VW started releasing them in 1972.
Only 2500 of these GT's were made, they were firstly introduced to the UK market, but then spread out more, with the last GT Beetle being sold in April 2003.
The GT Beetle, priced at £997 was only £19 more than the contemporary 1300 model.

The sports bug took its foundation from the European 1300s, which was a 1300 fitted with a 1584 engine that was putting out 50bhp, and had the advantage of front discs.
When sold in the UK, bizzarely they kept the 1300s badge, which if you didnt like, the dealer would have it removed and replace with the VW GT Beetle badge. Apparently, the reason for so many people keeping the 1300s badge, is that they had lower insurance premiums due to the badge. Imagine if that was the case now!!

One of the most endearing factors of the GT, was its distinctive colour choice. Out of the 2500 made, 50% were sold in lemon yellow, 40% in apple green, and 10% in tomato red.

Other styling tweaks that set the GT apart from other beetles of its day, were the Elephants foot lighting cluster. This is a favourite for the German look of today."

this was interesting to read,can you throw some light on the super beetle issues that is being discussed below

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Here's a couple more beetles from Goa:
poor girls,the upper one seems to be in a very sad state, wish some good restorer comes up for them or they may become a piece of junk

The history of my 1969 VW Westfalia, direct from the first owner,on how and where he purchased and how he used her throughout his life, i Thanks Mr.Dhillon(Owner) to hand over me the beautiful VW for another journey-LIFE
here is the link

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 13th February 2011 at 21:59.
Old 13th February 2011, 00:16   #866
BHPian

That is awesome
Your Westfalia has amazing history!
Old 14th February 2011, 12:36   #867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The history of my 1969 VW Westfalia, direct from the first owner,on how and where he purchased and how he used her throughout his life, i Thanks Mr.Dhillon(Owner) to hand over me the beautiful VW for another journey-LIFE
That's a great story, and that you have documented it for future generations is a commendable. This was possibly the last generation of travellers who drove across continents living out of their cars - there were so many, but rarely seen.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:45   #868
BHPian

Quote:

here is the link
YouTube - VTS_01_1.VOB
Saw the entire video twice and really enjoyed it especially the Saddam Hussain part. Indeed very historical vehicle and the best part is that it has been driven under all the conditions, weathers and roads. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Take care of it as you have been already doing it. It is a very rare piece of history as seldom would there be a vehicle which would have been driven in so many countries.
Old 14th February 2011, 14:04   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Saw the entire video twice and really enjoyed it especially the Saddam Hussain part. Indeed very historical vehicle and the best part is that it has been driven under all the conditions, weathers and roads. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Take care of it as you have been already doing it. It is a very rare piece of history as seldom would there be a vehicle which would have been driven in so many countries.
Thanks sid and the best part that even you have driven her!
Old 16th February 2011, 12:43   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
special request to all the vw friends here pls suggest iam unable to locate the westfalia 69 water storage tank( for the sink not the washer) its a big tank can some one suggest where is it located asked the owner he told that he never removed it but is old enough and doesnt remember where it was any clues,its an orginal westfalia bus with the westy plate and original RHD purchased on special order and 9 months waiting time against full payment as he told me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks