Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 15:23   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
Posting some photos of 1970 Ambassador car I have recently bought to restore.
Congratulations on your purchase.Lets hope it turns out restored and a good car. The OHV engine, air filter and carburettor (SU) seem to be original.The bonnet centre chrome ornamentation with the H is original and so are the Mark II bumpers (rare to get now).The body has been messed up. You will need a front grille, parking lights,headlamp covers with the extra shade on top (like the Mark I and II),the two unit tail lights,a number plate light.
The dash has been messed up. In 1970 the Amby"s dash was changed to a new design of the central console.The meters and warning/hazard lights were though all the same and a carry over from the 1968 design. The top and lower strips were of brown sunmica (woody imitation) with a ribbed, horizontal aluminium strip at the centre which housed the speedo, fuel gauge and ammeter (all Yenkay make). The four rectangular warning lights viz.yellow (indicator), red (oil), blue (high beam) and green in a single unit were placed at the centre of this aluminium strip.The turn indicator controls need to be atop the horn button.The rear view mirror is not original.
I am sure the Mumbai market will have all the body parts. Also please keep as many spares of the SU carburettor handy as possible as these are to tough to find.Wish you a happy Restoration!
This is a very original mid 1960's Mark II (picture taken from karlosdeville post)

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-amb-1.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th January 2010 at 15:36.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2010, 18:05   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

A treat for our Amby-loving friends again!

A rather complete mk2 I spotted yesterday, needing a little TLC. Albeit fitted with a couple of extra fittings from other classics, presumably yank cars. The boot badge seems lifted from a Dodge (going by the ram head shape)

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-mk2am1.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-mk2am3.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_4776.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-mkam2.jpg
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2010, 19:43   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
A treat for our Amby-loving friends again!

A rather complete mk2 I spotted yesterday, needing a little TLC. Albeit fitted with a couple of extra fittings from other classics, presumably yank cars. The boot badge seems lifted from a Dodge (going by the ram head shape)
Thats a good example from among the many spoiled ones with some Mark 3/4 half baked mod jobs.True it needs a little TLC.
Was also trying to figure out whether the fog lights or the headlights are larger?
Old 27th January 2010, 23:46   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase.Lets hope it turns out restored and a good car. The OHV engine, air filter and carburettor (SU) seem to be original.The bonnet centre chrome ornamentation with the H is original and so are the Mark II bumpers (rare to get now).The body has been messed up. You will need a front grille, parking lights,headlamp covers with the extra shade on top (like the Mark I and II),the two unit tail lights,a number plate light.
The dash has been messed up. In 1970 the Amby"s dash was changed to a new design of the central console.The meters and warning/hazard lights were though all the same and a carry over from the 1968 design. The top and lower strips were of brown sunmica (woody imitation) with a ribbed, horizontal aluminium strip at the centre which housed the speedo, fuel gauge and ammeter (all Yenkay make). The four rectangular warning lights viz.yellow (indicator), red (oil), blue (high beam) and green in a single unit were placed at the centre of this aluminium strip.The turn indicator controls need to be atop the horn button.The rear view mirror is not original.
I am sure the Mumbai market will have all the body parts. Also please keep as many spares of the SU carburettor handy as possible as these are to tough to find.Wish you a happy Restoration!
This is a very original mid 1960's Mark II (picture taken from karlosdeville post)

Attachment 275010
anjan_c2007,

Thanks for your wishes and detailed reply.

Am not very sure if this model is a mark II or mark 3. The logo on the boot cover says Mark III. The RC book mentions Ambassador only. The aluminium plate in the bonnet area says Ambassdor OHV.

Will try to get the original grille and horn button, lets see if I can get them. I have the horn button cover of this car but it is broken and will need stick it with some good adhesive like araldhite.

Also request you to point out the corrections / repairs I need to do to correct the body.

Regards,
Sanat
Old 28th January 2010, 16:39   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
anjan_c2007,

Thanks for your wishes and detailed reply.

Am not very sure if this model is a mark II or mark 3. The logo on the boot cover says Mark III. The RC book mentions Ambassador only. The aluminium plate in the bonnet area says Ambassdor OHV.

Will try to get the original grille and horn button, lets see if I can get them. I have the horn button cover of this car but it is broken and will need stick it with some good adhesive like araldhite.

Also request you to point out the corrections / repairs I need to do to correct the body.

Regards,
Sanat
@Sanat thanks- please see the date of original registration on the R.C. book.The Mark II was built between 1964- June 1975. From June 1975 till Feb 1979 it was the Mark 3.The Mark 4 came along in Feb 1979.Also if it has the original Bombay passing and if you can give me its registration number I will be able to say whether its a Mark II or 3 ? Depending on whether its a Mark II / 3 you will need the body changes. I am sure its a Mark II as the Mark 3's came with Solex carburettors and not SU that is fitted to your car.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th January 2010 at 16:40.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:14   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
@Sanat thanks- please see the date of original registration on the R.C. book.The Mark II was built between 1964- June 1975. From June 1975 till Feb 1979 it was the Mark 3.The Mark 4 came along in Feb 1979.Also if it has the original Bombay passing and if you can give me its registration number I will be able to say whether its a Mark II or 3 ? Depending on whether its a Mark II / 3 you will need the body changes. I am sure its a Mark II as the Mark 3's came with Solex carburettors and not SU that is fitted to your car.
Dear Anjan,

You know a lot about these cars and I need to learn a lot from you.

This must be a Mark II model. The registration number is MRG 954, not been able to check the RC book for the registration date.

The colour mentioned in the RC book is black and we intend to paint it black again. Have asked my mechanic who is good at body repairs to give me an estimate.

Regards,
Sanat
Old 29th January 2010, 20:32   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Anjan,

You know a lot about these cars and I need to learn a lot from you.

This must be a Mark II model. The registration number is MRG 954, not been able to check the RC book for the registration date.

The colour mentioned in the RC book is black and we intend to paint it black again. Have asked my mechanic who is good at body repairs to give me an estimate.

Regards,
Sanat
@Sanat thanks again.Do feel free to ask me about your car and I will try to answer your queries to the best of my knowledge. The registrations in Mumbai in the MR series roughly were:
MRB(for temporary registrations -yellow plates to Jeeps and Fiats made in Mumbai)
MRC (1964 to 1966)
MRD (1966-1968)
MRE (two wheelers)
MRF(1968-1970)
MRG (1970-1972)
So your car is a 1970 registration and model.The dash of 1970-1975 (just before the advent of Mark 3) with the brown sunmica and ribbed aluminium and Yenkay meters has become very, very rare. I do not have any picture as most of these have been swapped for the black ones.
For the car body black is an universal colour and will look appealing.So again all the best.
Old 5th February 2010, 23:51   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

This is not really a classic Amby, like what I normally post here......but looking at this car, I couldnt help taking this pic.!

'saw this near a workshop this morning.

What the heck were these guys trying to do with this car?? And WHY?? And how DID they manage to do it?!

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_4925.jpg
Old 6th February 2010, 00:29   #294
Senior - BHPian

@ jeepster09, a good car. bring her back to life.

here are pictures of the dash, the rear & the seats posted here before. you will get some idea.

Name:  1.bmp
Views: 5729
Size:  649.7 KB

Name:  2.bmp
Views: 5412
Size:  627.0 KB

Name:  3.bmp
Views: 5454
Size:  953.2 KB

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-ambassadormanual_3-xvd.jpg

Last edited by amit V8 : 6th February 2010 at 00:30.
amit V8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2010, 21:52   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
@ jeepster09, a good car. bring her back to life.

here are pictures of the dash, the rear & the seats posted here before. you will get some idea.

Attachment 281938

Attachment 281939

Attachment 281940

Attachment 281941
Thanks for posting these details of the dashboard, Amit.

Will consider these. I am thinking off replacing the plastic dashboard with a metal one, lets see.

Will be starting the work soon.

@ Anjan,

The estimate for the body work is 35,000 and the paint job will be 15,000.

Is this a fair one ? Also do let me know if there are any specific points I need to pay attention to ?

What size and make of tyres would be correct for this car ?

Regards,
Sanat
Old 7th February 2010, 00:21   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

As a young school boy I would regularly see a pristine white Mk2 Amby in the camp area of Pune. It was always impeccable in condition, kitted out with some period accessories.

2 things I clearly remember - a pair of period english mirrors mounted ahead on the fenders - and a number of badges of various clubs scattered on the grille. The owner (I think Parsi) obviously cared very much for his car, and seemed well travelled going by the badges.

I caught a glimpse of the car today after atleast 12-15 years, she still looked great. Only saw the rear, so dont know of those precious badges are intact with the recent spate of badge theft!

Digging through my archives I found pictures of the badges I had taken as a school boy around 95.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-01.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-02.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-03.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-04.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2010, 00:43   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
As a young school boy I would regularly see a pristine white Mk2 Amby in the camp area of Pune.

a number of badges of various clubs scattered on the grille. The owner (I think Parsi) obviously cared very much for his car, and seemed well travelled going by the badges.

Digging through my archives I found pictures of the badges I had taken as a school boy around 95.
Wooooooooowieee!! This has to be a record-qualifier!! Am I envious! Especially of the rotary badge- my parents were members of Rotary club in Jodhpur, Raj. back in 80s when we lived there, but they unfortunately never received such a badge! 'did have a sticker on our car windshield though.

I'd love to have this car just for those badges! Their value together would be pretty much the same as the car's! (No offence meant!)

'also must appreciate the keen eye you had for such things even as a school boy!

Last edited by Stanher : 7th February 2010 at 00:46.
Old 7th February 2010, 08:59   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
'also must appreciate the keen eye you had for such things even as a school boy!
Hehe - I would pester my father so much he got fed up and bought me a throw away camera so I could click to my heart's content. And I did! I would have been around 10 at the time.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2010, 20:43   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a young school boy I would regularly see a pristine white Mk2 Amby in the camp area of Pune. It was always impeccable in condition, kitted out with some period accessories.

2 things I clearly remember - a pair of period english mirrors mounted ahead on the fenders - and a number of badges of various clubs scattered on the grille. The owner (I think Parsi) obviously cared very much for his car, and seemed well travelled going by the badges.

I caught a glimpse of the car today after atleast 12-15 years, she still looked great. Only saw the rear, so dont know of those precious badges are intact with the recent spate of badge theft!
AWESOME!!! i would love to see the car. great pictures Karl.

there is a cab in kolkata (WB04B) which has all these badges all over. from LOTUS CORTINA to TOYOTA to AAA to FORD V8 to MORRIS OXFORD to OHV. it' a must see cab. anjan_c2007 must have seen it. i never got the chance to click it.
Old 7th February 2010, 22:55   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karl love those old badges. Nostalgic! Guess the radiator may have been deprived of some cool air too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
AWESOME!!! anjan_c2007 must have seen it. i never got the chance to click it.
no amit I did not sight such a car during my short visits to Kolkata.Do post pictures if you ever happen to sight it.
I loved the old 1970's Amby dashboard picture you posted.Its a very, very rare sight these days-even rarer than the original Austin 8/10's or Morris 8's dashboards which are seen aplenty.

Quote:
Thanks for posting these details of the dashboard, Amit.

Will consider these. I am thinking off replacing the plastic dashboard with a metal one, lets see.

Will be starting the work soon.

@ Anjan,

The estimate for the body work is 35,000 and the paint job will be 15,000.

Is this a fair one ? Also do let me know if there are any specific points I need to pay attention to ?

What size and make of tyres would be correct for this car ?

Regards,
Sanat
Sanat I am not sure what all body work the fellow is doing for your Amby.The fitment of original period spares will have to be done and these procured by you.Amit has posted a rare picture of the dash of the 1970-75 era just before the launch of the Mark 3. The charges of Rs 35000 includes what all? The painting job for Rs 15000 is OK perhaps. Last year I got a touch up done for my Landmaster again in black and was charged some Rs 8000 odd.
The front grille parking lights headlight covers all need a change.The bumpers need to be chrome plated.
The dash needs to be done up and so also the steering horn button/indicator switch.
The first picture is of a early 1960's dash. This is a Morris Oxford Series III. The dash layout is the same but the meter console and switches are different for the 1970 Amby.The air vent on the top of the dash gave way to a chrome ash tray. The switches used to be fully black and so was the gear lever.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-scan0013.jpg
The lower ones are from a 1969 Amby thats fairly original but for the dash which has been messed up.The cream colour was like the black one and lasted for many years during the model life of the Mark II.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc02692.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc02693.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc02694.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc02695.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th February 2010 at 23:04.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks