Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 07:27   #1246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Selva View Post
Hi Team,
With regret I inform you all that due to a major engine problem and Rust isuues and my inability to spend time and money on her, I had to part with my Beauty.There were no real buyers so I had to ask a scrap dealer to tow away my vehicle.
Dude

Didn't Karthik and me find the parts you needed? All parts you would need was just a phone call away man.

I wont go to Stephens Square today then.. I don't want to see your car there..

Its a sad day for FCB. We formed the Club to save Fiats and you didn't even ask us before letting it go:-(

Last edited by arun1100 : 10th March 2010 at 07:44.
Old 10th March 2010, 08:16   #1247
Senior - BHPian

This is really a sad moment. I am sure it was a tough call. I too wouldnt want to go to Stephen's Square today.
Old 10th March 2010, 08:31   #1248
Senior - BHPian

May OUR MER 3501 Rest In Peace.

Last edited by arun1100 : 10th March 2010 at 08:33.
Old 10th March 2010, 08:47   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,
With regret I inform you all that due to a major engine problem and Rust isuues and my inability to spend time and money on her, I had to part with my Beauty.There were no real buyers so I had to ask a scrap dealer to tow away my vehicle.

This vehicle had served us for close to 32 years and I learnt my drving with her. Indeed a very sad envoirnment sourrounds me.

My Padmini is no more.

Hoping to buy another one and get her to my expectations as my sunset beige, lost beauty.

RIP : MER 3501

Regards
Selva
Oh no not again. Such a beauty is going to be scrapped. Very well maintained fiat it is. What type of engine problem is there which is proving expensive to get rid of her Mr Selva. Even mine is in worst condition both physically and mechanically but for the sake of love towards these cars its been kept. Actually every time i take it out the one thing many people state is sell it for 10,000 or after a year or 2 you will not get even 5K for it.
If you didn't got any real buyer for it then you would have offered it to someone at a price stated by the scrapper(which i think is not more than 8K). Although, its your car and you are the one to decide its fate. May the soul of MER 3501 rest in peace.

Arun bhai it will be first time you would not be visiting the Stephens Square in the past one yr. I know how you feel but you will find MER 3501 parts hanging outside the shops from tomorrow as you are familiar with the car and will definitely identify them. Once again feeling very sad for the car.

Last edited by samsag12 : 10th March 2010 at 08:49.
Old 10th March 2010, 09:27   #1250
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Team,

This vehicle had served us for close to 32 years and I learnt my drving with her. Indeed a very sad envoirnment sourrounds me.

My Padmini is no more.

Hoping to buy another one and get her to my expectations as my sunset beige, lost beauty.

Regards
Selva
One post here on this thread would have saved that poor car.

Very sad indeed. A good car is deprived of its further life.
Old 10th March 2010, 09:50   #1251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

My Padmini is no more.

OMG!!!! I remember having seen pics. of this car in the fiat club rally pics. earlier!! I NEVER imagined even in my wildest dreams that THIS car, of all the cars I've known, that too being owned by a team bhpian, would go for scrap!!

It appeared to be such an original car, with even the original hubcaps intact!! Many lesser cars are still being 'wowed' at by the fiat 1100 club and are found worth buying!! Talk about irony!

Of course, its your car...but still, What on earth ever made you take such a rash decision??!!

As these guys say, you could've just made one post in this very thread and have one of them take her off your hands!! If they didnt have enough money (which, as sagar says, wasnt much anyways for the price you would've sold her for) they wouldve paid you an advance and taken the car later!!

I think arun/karthik you guys SHOULD go down to Stephen Square today and see if the car can be saved in time! You never know, you may have just one chance! C'mon guys, dont get down yet!! :(
Old 10th March 2010, 15:24   #1252
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about MER 3501.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:24   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Its one year today since Karthik Makam, Karthik MB, Sujith and Me became officially FIAT Friends.

We all had joined the ORKUT Community for FCB started by Sujith on this day a year back.

Karthik Makam and Sujith first became friends on Orkut on Feb 11 2009. There were few problems with Karthik's President. So he took Suji's help to solve them.

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-3.jpg

On Feb 9th 2009, Karthik Makam suggested Sujith to start a Community for Fiat Fans in Bangalore. Then Sujith started a Community called Fiat 1100 Club Bangalore. All four of us joined the community on march 10th 2009. Karthik M.B too had started a Community for Fiats in 2006. But we were not aware of it.

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-7.jpg

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-1.jpg

Sujith and me did chat way back in July 2007. I had created a new topic called Premier Padmini Fan Club in the Orkut Community "Premier Padmini Fans". I had then asked him if there was any Premier Padmini Fan Club in Bangalore. He said "sadly none!".

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-arun.jpg

Its just one year since we guys met. We had lots of memorable times. Hope Aal goes well in the coming years.
arun1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2010, 16:46   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Its one year today since Karthik Makam, Karthik MB, Sujith and Me became officially FIAT Friends.

We all had joined the ORKUT Community for FCB started by Sujith on this day a year back.

Karthik Makam and Sujith first became friends on Orkut on Feb 11 2009. There were few problems with Karthik's President. So he took Suji's help to solve them.

Attachment 304572

On Feb 9th 2009, Karthik Makam suggested Sujith to start a Community for Fiat Fans in Bangalore. Then Sujith started a Community called Fiat 1100 Club Bangalore. All four of us joined the community on march 10th 2009. Karthik M.B too had started a Community for Fiats in 2006. But we were not aware of it.

Attachment 304569

Attachment 304573

Sujith and me did chat way back in July 2007. I had created a new topic called Premier Padmini Fan Club in the Orkut Community "Premier Padmini Fans". I had then asked him if there was any Premier Padmini Fan Club in Bangalore. He said "sadly none!".

Attachment 304570

Its just one year since we guys met. We had lots of memorable times. Hope Aal goes well in the coming years.
Wow! Arun what a compilation. I do remember how it started a year ago. When we first met, I was thinking it would be me and my prez, sujith and his Padmini. It so happened that Arun and Karthik MB too joined. Since then, our and our car's lives have changed.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:00   #1255
Senior - BHPian

With a heavy heart, myself and Arun finally took the courage to visit Stephen Square. We were very relieved that we did not see any trace of MER 3501. We did several enquiries, most dint know of MER 3501 and many confirmed that such a car never came there.

For a moment we were shocked to see a Fiat of exact same color pass by, after a moment we realized it was some other fiat and not MER 3501

Also, I managed to pick up a Mikuni carb with manifold and the full air filter unit for my 118 NE. Happy to have found it, that too at a very reasonable price.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:25   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
With a heavy heart, myself and Arun finally took the courage to visit Stephen Square. We were very relieved that we did not see any trace of MER 3501. We did several enquiries, most dint know of MER 3501 and many confirmed that such a car never came there.
I feel the scrapyard guy might change the engine and sell the car. Tomorrow lets ask Lia Bhai and Siddique if they have bought the car.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:29   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel the scrapyard guy might change the engine and sell the car. Tomorrow lets ask Lia Bhai and Siddique if they have bought the car.
Very much possible. There could be some guys wanting the car without an engine. They might put another engine and tag the car with another number and use. Or may be, some day it will come to Stephen Square. Cant say at all.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:35   #1258
Senior - BHPian

For now, we can almost be sure that 99% the car did not make it to Stephen Square.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:45   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Also, I managed to pick up a Mikuni carb with manifold and the full air filter unit for my 118 NE. Happy to have found it, that too at a very reasonable price.
The guy who sold the carb and manifold was so happy when we paid whatever he asked and took the stuff.

I think we should not stop going to Stephens Square as it might affect their livelihood!! I am serious actually.. People in Stephens Square are really kind to we FCB guys as we pay them promptly and don't bargain much. That doesn't mean they charge much to us.

Sometimes they quote so low for some worthy parts that, I felt like paying more to them. Especially to Bade Bhai(an 70 yr old man with a shop measuring 20 sqft!) who gives me parts. Eg: This old man knows very well the value of old Fiat parts. Still he gave me full set of Delight side pattis' (aluminum ones) for 150rs!!! Once more, Noddy gave me four Delight wheel caps (alumium ones) for 200rs!

Once my cars are done with the resto job, I will arrange a special Biryani party to all those in Stephens Square who helped me in sourcing parts.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:50   #1260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The guy who sold the carb and manifold was so happy when we paid whatever he asked and took the stuff.

I think we should not stop going to Stephens Square as it might affect their livelihood!! I am serious actually.. People in Stephens Square are really kind to we FCB guys as we pay them promptly and don't bargain much. That doesn't mean they charge much to us.

Sometimes they quote so low for some worthy parts that, I felt like paying more to them. Especially to Bade Bhai(an 70 yr old man with a shop measuring 20 sqft!) who gives me parts. Eg: This old man knows very well the value of old Fiat parts. Still he gave me full set of Delight side pattis' (aluminum ones) for 150rs!!! Once more, Noddy gave me four Delight wheel caps (alumium ones) for 200rs!

Once my cars are done with the resto job, I will arrange a special Biryani party to all those in Stephens Square who helped me in sourcing parts.

I agree! Our fascination to buy old stuff is their livelihood. Dont worry Arun, we have done justice by visiting numerous times. Yes, I too feel some times we get some stuff for very low price. Similary, we sometimes pay fancy prices for some rare items. Overall, the math would work out correctly. I too was very happy with the guy who gave us the carb. He kept an eye on the person removing it and ensured it wasnt being manhandled. He was kind enough to even offer to fix the carb back to manifold and then give to us as a single peice

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks