Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 20:44   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Not a problem sir . I think it should be done now at this stage before the metal sheet being welded on.I am sure there are some more ways to treat the chassis. Why don't you look at those and even i will try and find out for you. But till then i would say put a hault on the current patch work.Later you don't want trouble with a thing like the chassis once every thing is done. The corrosion has to be stopped on the chassis before!

Its just my point of view on this.
At present, the work has not progressed much, but for the patchwork on the rear a few days ago. (pics, attached)
But then, it is unfortunately not within my control to direct everything as per my specifications. Plus, often, with the method we suggest, if these guys get it wrong and they blame the bad result on us!

I have once again decided to experiment with the 3-in-1 phosphoric acid I had tried a sample of the last time. But it didnt turn out effective. They were nearly angry with me for it!

'turns out those guys had applied it on soon after using caustic soda on the entire body. So I was told that the latter, being a base had reacted with the acid and thus neutralised the effect, leaving the surface as rusty as ever! (thus they had to clean it out with another wash with caustic soda)

So this time, I intend to treat the chassis using it directly, without the caustic soda, which anyway only cleans out the paint traces and makes the metal bare. 'hope for better results this time!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5426.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5427.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5428.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5429.jpg
Old 19th March 2010, 22:14   #137
BHPian

Very nice work STANHER. kudos to your effort to take such a project in India.

As seen on TV on OVERHAULIN / WEST COST CUSTOMS, those guys have every tool available to ease their work. It is a mammoth of a task to do such kind of work in India.

Cheers
Old 25th March 2010, 21:21   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

OK guys, here's finally an update over the last couple of days! Following the outriggers, the horizontal outer members on the left and right sides of the rear have been replaced. 'turns out that they have done the overlap welding only on the rear outriggers and the part under the rear axle (arrowed) because those are the 'joint' areas in the chassis, so cutting them off totally would not prove beneficial structurally. But the other areas such as on the outer edges as shown now, can be replaced with new pieces.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5430.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5431.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5432.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5433.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5434.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5435.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5445.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5446.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5447.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5448.jpg

More as work progresses.

(Note: I'll be going out of town tomorrow, back on monday)
Old 25th March 2010, 22:53   #139
BHPian

ahhh now its making more sense.....cuz earlier the overlapping repair just didnt seem right. the guy working on your car seems technically sound
Old 28th March 2010, 00:59   #140
BHPian

okay i went through the thread AGAIN....and i examinied the rear suspension design of the herald closely. one trailing arm,one link with the leaf spring!!! besides that the axle helps keep the wheeel in place.....thats it??????
i have to say the rear suspension design oh the herald is RUBBISH!!! it looks like something that will break on the slightest of undulations. i am sure it wasnt very durable the rare suspension...no offence shyam. any idea if this was a problem with heralds or have some parts been romved in the pics taken prior to the removal of the leafspring leading to the impression that there are very few things holding the wheel in place.. there should atleast be one more link on the lower side of the wheel to the chassis to make this setup even remotely durable. The 18th and 21st pics on page 6 are the ones i am refering to

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 28th March 2010 at 01:00.
Old 28th March 2010, 16:45   #141
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
okay i went through the thread AGAIN....and i examinied the rear suspension design of the herald closely. one trailing arm,one link with the leaf spring!!! besides that the axle helps keep the wheeel in place.....thats it??????
i have to say the rear suspension design oh the herald is RUBBISH!!! it looks like something that will break on the slightest of undulations. i am sure it wasnt very durable the rare suspension..
Yes, TRUE, the rear suspension set-up in the Herald's are considered "rubbish" There are numerous instances where, either of the rear wheels would cut open from the axle and will be flying all over the road.

But if the camber is set right and if the Bolts are in good condition, the Herald suspension is very soft and durable. Its just that extra care should be taken when doing up the rear suspension.

And it is reliable if done RIGHT.

Shyam, kindly shed some valuable light about the jinxed rear suspension.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:41   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
i have to say the rear suspension design oh the herald is RUBBISH!!! it looks like something that will break on the slightest of undulations. i am sure it wasnt very durable the rare suspension...no offence shyam. any idea if this was a problem with heralds
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Yes, TRUE, the rear suspension set-up in the Herald's are considered "rubbish" There are numerous instances where, either of the rear wheels would cut open from the axle and will be flying all over the road.

But if the camber is set right and if the Bolts are in good condition, the Herald suspension is very soft and durable. Its just that extra care should be taken when doing up the rear suspension.

And it is reliable if done RIGHT.

Shyam, kindly shed some valuable light about the jinxed rear suspension.
-Sorry about the silence, was out of town for the weekend.-

You both are right about the rear suspension, that is indeed the Herald's weak spot. MCHAB's analysis about the flimsy set-up of the rear suspension being a cause for trouble could be right. Yes, as pavan says, if the camber, bolts are done properly, it should not be a problem. I might add, that apart from this, the chassis, particularly the rear part, also should be properly aligned/tweaked so as it doesnt cause any kind of disturbance to the rear axle. In many cases, its a bent/misaligned chassis that was the cause for the rear axle undoing itself. This part is overlooked by many owners/mechanics.
Old 2nd April 2010, 00:42   #143
Senior - BHPian

Updates? where are the Updates ?? Waiting for updates !!
Old 2nd April 2010, 20:01   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Updates? where are the Updates ?? Waiting for updates !!
Ahaaa.....and I was wondering why you didn't buzz me yet!!

Sorry for the silence again, but the work happens to be progressing slowly. Here is what I can post for now- one more new outer member of the chassis, this time the LH front, is to be welded on. Bad news is I'm not able to obtain a free sample of the "3 in 1" phosphoric acid from the same guy! He says he doesnt have stock for now. The trouble is, they supply only in bulk for industrial use! I wonder how at all some others in Delhi etc. were able to get smaller amounts!

Anyways, the dashboard too had been removed earlier this week, me having undone all the retaining screws (all original) carefully last week. The dash was removed in my absence, but was relieved to find that it was done reasonably carefully, with unfortunately just the glovebox being broken. But it was quite rotten anyway. 'need to figure out how to fabricate a new one now though!

And when I visited today, I also took the liberty of stripping the dash of all the instruments etc. (all by myself!) which I brought home and kept safe in a box. I'll be cleaning/polishing the meters from the outside. Then I'll get the dash-panel stripped of all the paint and put new varnished wood veneer on.
NOTE: the markings on the dials on these meters are generally very fragile; they tend to become powdery and come off easily on wiping! So I DONT WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE to get them cleaned them from the inside, not even doing it by myself leave alone hand them over to a third person, most of our junta being sensible enough to use something like thinner () for cleaning even these kind of things!!! The thought itself makes me paranoid!
I suggest that NOBODY ELSE attempt this either. You wont even get replacement meters of this kind nowadays, so why experiment on them?!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5570.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5571.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5572.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5560.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5561.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5562.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5573.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5577.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5578.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5579.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5580.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd April 2010 at 20:05.
Old 4th April 2010, 01:17   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ahaaa.....and I was wondering why you didn't buzz me yet!!

Sorry for the silence again, but the work happens to be progressing slowly. Here is what I can post for now- one more new outer member of the chassis, this time the LH front, is to be welded on. Bad news is I'm not able to obtain a free sample of the "3 in 1" phosphoric acid from the same guy! He says he doesnt have stock for now. The trouble is, they supply only in bulk for industrial use! I wonder how at all some others in Delhi etc. were able to get smaller amounts!

Well i didn't buzz you till now because i was busy myself and hardly had anytime to dedicate to posting. It was more and more reaading than posting.

What do you need the phosphoric acid for ? Find out about some other person who ddeals in this also or the other thing you could do is that you can try and talk him into it and tell him that you will buy more if it works.

Quote:

Anyways, the dashboard too had been removed earlier this week, me having undone all the retaining screws (all original) carefully last week. The dash was removed in my absence, but was relieved to find that it was done reasonably carefully, with unfortunately just the glovebox being broken. But it was quite rotten anyway. 'need to figure out how to fabricate a new one now though!

Chalo at last you also did some work not bad. Is the glove box wooden or metal? Could you post a pic of it please.

Quote:

And when I visited today, I also took the liberty of stripping the dash of all the instruments etc. (all by myself!) which I brought home and kept safe in a box. I'll be cleaning/polishing the meters from the outside. Then I'll get the dash-panel stripped of all the paint and put new varnished wood veneer on.

NOTE: the markings on the dials on these meters are generally very fragile; they tend to become powdery and come off easily on wiping! So I DONT WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE to get them cleaned them from the inside, not even doing it by myself leave alone hand them over to a third person, most of our junta being sensible enough to use something like thinner () for cleaning even these kind of things!!! The thought itself makes me paranoid!
Could you post pics of them. Normally the people who work with these know how to service them and are careful with them. So you can find out where there is a person who does it or else i can get it done if you like. It is not just for these cars but is same for all cars than have the dials embossed (raised).

Quote:

I suggest that NOBODY ELSE attempt this either. You wont even get replacement meters of this kind nowadays, so why experiment on them?!

Attachment 320667

Attachment 320668

Attachment 320669

Attachment 320670

Attachment 320671

Attachment 320672

Attachment 320673

Attachment 320674

Attachment 320675

Attachment 320676

Attachment 320677

It has been done on many such meters and no damage and at the end of it they looked like brand new
Old 4th April 2010, 11:37   #146
BHPian

Shyam, when you start the glove box design and fabrication, would you be able to detail the dimensions, finish and process to make it. Also dimensionally how far from the right and bottom is the ashtray and was it standard with Mark3's as well since I seem to be missing that as well. Better yet would it be possible to trace the dash on paper, I can collect from you later. That will help me a lot. Will call you to discuss this wekend on the parts I am trying to get from the UK as well.
Thanks Vrushant

Last edited by Pune_Bike : 4th April 2010 at 11:38.
Old 4th April 2010, 22:52   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well i didn't buzz you till now because i was busy myself and hardly had anytime to dedicate to posting. It was more and more reaading than posting.
No probs bro!

Quote:
What do you need the phosphoric acid for ? Find out about some other person who ddeals in this also or the other thing you could do is that you can try and talk him into it and tell him that you will buy more if it works.
As I mentioned, it is supposed to clean out the rust without harming the metal. See Saurabh (SA7VA5)'s thread on his 1968 Lambretta restoration- it was he who'd first used it in his resto work.

Quote:
Is the glove box wooden or metal? Could you post a pic of it please.
'will do so tomorrow when I go there again. It is plywood, although some cars also came with metal ones.
BTW, this isnt the first time I'm dismantling/reassembling a Herald dash, had done it a couple of time on my first Herald like 10 years ago!
It felt really nostalgic doing the same thing again, although been a long time so had to be real careful!

Quote:
Could you post pics of them.
you can find out where there is a person who does it or else i can get it done if you like. It is not just for these cars but is same for all cars than have the dials embossed (raised).
It has been done on many such meters and no damage and at the end of it they looked like brand new
Post pics. of what? I already did post one of the meters in my last post.

Thanks for offering to help but for now I'd rather let them be, just clean them up from the outside and at the most get them opened only to get them working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pune_Bike View Post
Shyam, when you start the glove box design and fabrication, would you be able to detail the dimensions, finish and process to make it. Also dimensionally how far from the right and bottom is the ashtray and was it standard with Mark3's as well since I seem to be missing that as well.
Vrushant, the mk3 did not come with the sliding ashtray at the centre bottom, unlike the mk1/mk2. It came with just the small flip-top one at the top centre, which your car seems to have. This first came on the Standard 10/pennants.

Last edited by Stanher : 4th April 2010 at 22:54.
Old 10th April 2010, 10:11   #148
Senior - BHPian

Any further update ??
Old 11th April 2010, 13:58   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Any further update ??
Sorry guys, my net has been troubling me as usual!

I'm in the process of changing the connection, which is taking some time.

Anyways, here are pics. of more work done on the chassis, with the work proceeding to the left front 'shoulder' rail.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5644.jpg
Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5658.jpg
Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5659.jpg
Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5661.jpg

And on Vrushant's request, here are pics. of the glove-box. Sadly not much left of it! 'looks like it was taken out from the Titanic!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5640.jpg
Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5641.jpg
Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5642.jpg
Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5643.jpg
Old 12th April 2010, 00:39   #150
BHPian

keep the updates comin man, jus cuz not many ppl are asking u for updates doesnt mean we arent eagerly waiting for them. we jus dont wanna bug you. so post updates as often as you can

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks