Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2012, 17:57   #736
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Guys,any good options under 2000 INR(DOT Certification,Full Face)
Preferred brands-Cross/LS2
Colour-White&Red(For an FZ with the same colours)
The Helmet should look good and blend with the FZ's colour.
Should my friend(FZ owner) get smoked Visors/Mirror Finished Visors or the transparent one?!
[I have suggested a transparent visor]
Under 2k it is difficult to get a DOT certified helmet. LS2 & Cross are ECE "stickered" helmets. But there are a few DOT embossed LS2 models. You have to search a lot and you will get it if lucky. Dont get me wrong about the ECE stickered part. I am just not sure how genuinely ECE certified these helmets are. I own a similar LS2 and now looking for better options for my long rides! Nothing wrong with the helmet as such but just dont want to take a chance with my head!!

Go for a glossy finish one as cleaning a Matte finish white based helmet is hell (ask me )

Get both the visors as these helmets come with easily swappable option for the visor. Get the color of the choice and get a spare visor (if the helmet has a smoked/mirrored finish get the clear visor and vice versa if otherwise)

Last edited by abhinav.s : 18th April 2012 at 17:58.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 18:19   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Under 2k it is difficult to get a DOT certified helmet. LS2 & Cross are ECE "stickered" helmets. But there are a few DOT embossed LS2 models. You have to search a lot and you will get it if lucky. Dont get me wrong about the ECE stickered part. I am just not sure how genuinely ECE certified these helmets are. I own a similar LS2 and now looking for better options for my long rides! Nothing wrong with the helmet as such but just dont want to take a chance with my head!!

Go for a glossy finish one as cleaning a Matte finish white based helmet is hell (ask me )

Get both the visors as these helmets come with easily swappable option for the visor. Get the color of the choice and get a spare visor (if the helmet has a smoked/mirrored finish get the clear visor and vice versa if otherwise)
Thank you for the super-quick reply.
I'll go(leave) with my friend to Urvashi Theatre road in another 15 minutes.
Which helmet shop should I visit?
I have Balaji Helmets and Helmet Paradise in mind.
Can/Should I also ask for Mr.Ramesh(n_aditya's post) at helmet paradise??

Update:
My friend bought a LS2 Phobia(Matt finished Red) for 2500 INR.
EDIT:
Can the mods please merge it with my previous post??!

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th April 2012 at 12:12. Reason: As requested
Old 18th April 2012, 18:23   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Thank you for the super-quick reply.
I'll go(leave) with my friend to Urvashi Theatre road in another 15 minutes.
Which helmet shop should I visit?
I have Balaji Helmets and Helmet Paradise in mind.
Can/Should I also ask for Mr.Ramesh(n_aditya's post) at helmet paradise??
Yes you can go to either of them. At Helmet Paradise - Ask for Ramesh and you can use Aditya's reference and/or mine (Just tell him you are my friend who got SparX from him)
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 10:52   #739
BHPian

Folks, i have searched the forum but couldn't find the answer. Is there a place in chennai where we can buy imported helmets? At the most i only seem to find places where they sell SOL and other brands (Vega, Studds, Wrangler). I am on the lookout for Arai or Shoei.

Are there any in bangalore? I can go there and buy if they are available.
Old 24th April 2012, 11:08   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-pg View Post
Folks, i have searched the forum but couldn't find the answer. Is there a place in chennai where we can buy imported helmets? I am on the lookout for Arai or Shoei. Are there any in bangalore? I can go there and buy if they are available.
Not sure if Arai or Shoei's are available in Chennai but in Blore they are most definitely not available.

Best thing to do is use their sizing guide and order from Performance Racing Store (Mumbai) or from an online shop in the US such as bike bandit or motorcycle superstore (look for closeout deals and always buy a couple of visors extra).
Old 24th April 2012, 14:37   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Not sure if Arai or Shoei's are available in Chennai but in Blore they are most definitely not available.
====
(look for closeout deals and always buy a couple of visors extra).
Thanks, I am little vary of buying helmets online because of the fit. Any idea how good SOL helmets are?
Old 24th April 2012, 17:50   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I am little vary of buying helmets online because of the fit. Any idea how good SOL helmets are?
SOL helmets are sold under the GMax brand name in the US. They are DOT certified. See this link.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 18:27   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, i have searched the forum but couldn't find the answer. Is there a place in chennai where we can buy imported helmets? At the most i only seem to find places where they sell SOL and other brands (Vega, Studds, Wrangler). I am on the lookout for Arai or Shoei.

Are there any in bangalore? I can go there and buy if they are available.
Try Velavan motors - Sri Velavan Motors. They have R-jays, but they don't have Arai or Shoei. I don't think you can find these brands in Chennai.
diwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 18:49   #744
Team-BHP Support

Are the lids of females any different from males or is it just that they are T-O-O pink-y in nature?

I am looking for a female lid as I plan to start touring a bit with my wife (this June, after our wedding).

She has expressed her desire to be a pillion rather than be confined in a Car (Thank God ) and I can't let this opportunity go, though I will have to soothe her nerves and get her accustomed to fast highway riding (~100kmph)
Old 24th April 2012, 19:00   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Are the lids of females any different from males or is it just that they are T-O-O pink-y in nature?

I am looking for a female lid as I plan to start touring a bit with my wife (this June, after our wedding).
Firstly congrats on finding a soul mate who wants to tour on the bike with you (very rare breed they are to come by)!!

Coming to female lids, based on the head size you just have to go for the perfect fit like how we select a lid for ourselves. Shopped for a lid for my wife before we started touring and found that there is no special lid for females. Just the same albeit a size or 2 smaller.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 19:01   #746
Senior - BHPian

^^ He can pick up multiple visors. I always do that.A smoked/mirror finish for daytime riding and a clear one for night time. Changing visors is a matter of seconds. He can even carry a visor with him if riding conditions change. As regards the helmet , i am not to acquainted with what is available at that price point but someone will pitch in soon.
Old 27th April 2012, 16:56   #747
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Just picked up an AGV K-3 Dreamtime . The colors really pop out in direct sunlight. Got the dark smoke visor too for those day rides.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20120427-16.09.47.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20120427-16.09.59.jpg  

Old 1st May 2012, 14:36   #748

Picked up a LS2 FF 386 helmet from Megha, Bangalore (Bang opp MTR). Quoted 4200/- and billed at 4700/- after VAT. Supposedly comes with 2 yrs warranty.

Requirements:
  • Wanted a flip flop (front opening) style helmet. I wear prescription glasses, and find it inconvenient to wear a full face. Communication with pillion in slow moving traffic is also difficult with full face lids.
  • I was using a Vega Boolean till it was stolen from near Woody's, Jayanagar yesterday. The Boolean served me well for about a year and half, but the front opening started to loosen in time. Also, either my head grew or the helmet shrunk - I was finding it difficult to wear it continuously for more than half an hour. Padding is practically non-existent near the crown of your head on the Vega, and the ones near the cheek shrink after a few washes. So I needed a lid with good build quality, padding and room to accommodate my rather large head.
The LS2 FF 386 was the first helmet I was shown at the store. Size L was just the right fit. I compared it with the Ninja Studds 3G and immediately understood why the LS2 was expensive. The LS2 certainly had a MUCH better finish. The quality of materials was also several notches higher. With respect to the shape, I thought that the LS2 fitted me better than the Ninja Studds. The latter has an almost roundish shape. Your jaw tends to hit the front of the helmet. Another win for the LS2 was that the dark tint shades built into the helmet didn't interfere with my spectacles.

The store keeper also showed me a Cross, and quoted the same price as the LS2. The Cross felt heavier, so I ended up picking the LS2. Ironically, when I asked for a fresh piece of the LS2, the store keeper at first said he didn't have anything other than the matte black. Another guy in the store then went somewhere and brought me a Silver model in size XL - which ended up being heavier than the cross. All these helmets have the weight mentioned in the back. The Cross had more ventilation outlets, though.

The Silver LS2 FF 386 had a Vega and ISI sticker - something the earlier matte black LS2 didn't have. I thought the Silver looked cool, although I heard a few giggles from the wife. Methinks it matches the chrome of my Enfield Machismo 500.

Some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-_mg_0240.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-_mg_0241.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-_mg_0242.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-_mg_0243.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-_mg_0244.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-_mg_0246.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-_mg_0248.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-_mg_0249.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-_mg_0250.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-_mg_0253.jpg  

astrono_me is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 18:04   #749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrono_me
Picked up a LS2 FF 386 helmet from Megha, Bangalore (Bang opp MTR). Quoted 4200/- and billed at 4700/- after VAT. Supposedly comes with 2 yrs warranty.
The helmet looks really good. Does it have good ventilation?

The shop fellow just went to the adjacent shop and got you this silver one. Both shops belong to the same owner. The other shop is just adjacent to the one you went.

Does it have a pump system to fill air into cheek pads?

Note from Support - Quoted text shortened. Please avoid quoting a full lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd May 2012 at 12:34. Reason: quoted text shortened
Old 1st May 2012, 18:23   #750
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I am getting a RE Classic 500 Desert Storm in a couple of weeks and have doubts in deciding on a helmet. I am looking for a DOT certified and easy to maintain helmet. I have so far considered SOL SL-68S, LS2 Dinasty and LS2 Stardust III. I am open to other brands too and my max budget is 4.5-5K's. Experts please suggest a good helmet in my price range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks