Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2024, 14:50   #39556
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
In another incident, seemingly from Pune, a biker with scant regard for traffic rules, cuts through oncoming traffic and expectedly gets into an accident. Hope the police doesn't penalise the dumper driver, as it's clearly evident that the biker is totally at fault in this case. Video courtesy: Twitter
These kind of people get into an accident someday or the other due to their own fault and get the "taste". No regrets !!
Luckily, in this case it was a dumper and not another rule abiding biker/car who would face the consequences of this foolish biker.
trave11er is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 15:34   #39557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Never though that I would be posting it here but a dear friend of mine met with this accident due to a idiot driving his 2-wheeler in the middle of the road in the opposite direction.
I thought you were exaggerating with the "middle of the road" phrase. I mean, we've all seen these idiots going the wrong way, somewhere near the shoulder, and occasionally the median ("My ooru/halli is on the left side, saar").

But no, the two-wheeler is almost perfectly on the line separating the lanes.

I cannot fathom what possessed him to ride in this manner (maybe he's heard of motorcyclists performing lane splitting, and decided to add his 'wrong way' twist to it?).

It's a shame that even with incontrovertible video evidence, your friend still had to pay out. But given that it's a new vehicle, it probably made sense, rather than having it tied up in red tape at the local police station if he tried to prove his innocence through the justice system.
arunphilip is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 16:11   #39558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...due to a idiot driving his 2-wheeler in the middle of the road in the opposite direction.
If it were not for the video, no one in the Good Earth would understand your sentence. I really, honestly thought a poor biker was riding the hard shoulder and your friend would have misjudged the shoulder overtake.

This is nuts! Absolutely nuts.

As a certified Hammered-Tanked-Wasted person myself in the past (back in mycollege days) , I certify this biker is totally wasted, zero clue what he is doing on a bike and should be asleep in the bar and not riding a bike!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

svsantosh is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 16:24   #39559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doga View Post
Tyre brand is Apollo however the tyre was probably EOL looking at the wear.
Frankly, I don't think the tyres are EoL. They are scuffed on the sidewall but observe the tread. It certainly looks more than the safe minimum of 1.6 mm - 2 mm. Could well have been under/over inflated and overheated leading to a tyre burst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritesh_44 View Post
Confused. The article states that the driver said, "Due to loose, unstable roads with mud and dangerous rocks, the tyre burst and the vehicle lost control from the rear and hit a tree sideways before colliding with the high speed into the embankment wall between the road and river."

But all the pictures show smooth metalled roads running alongside that canal: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Br5HUkpXuEJ73WVW6

I guess what happened was that the vehicle was definitely overloaded with a high CG from people standing. The driver (being unused to an EV), jammed down hard on the accelerator after being 'ordered' to. This led to totally unexpected acceleration, and the rear spun out to collide against the low concrete wall and throw the unbelted occupants out. May their souls RIP.

Pity it had to happen to Pravaig and EVs in general. Going to lead to a lot of sensationalizing and media riot now.

EDIT: Video here = https://www.rushlane.com/pravaig-ele...-12485701.html

Could have been a rear alloy or suspension component disintegrating. Difficult to say.

Again confused how someone is 'missing'. The collision was with a tree and not into the canal which is what I assumed after seeing the media reports.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th January 2024 at 19:52. Reason: Back to back posts merged
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 19:14   #39560
Team-BHP Support

More due to how chassis is tuned or lack of it. Speed is the only reason here. It should have had a speed governor. Poor people, RIP.
Old 10th January 2024, 19:24   #39561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Could have been a rear alloy or suspension component disintegrating. Difficult to say.

Again confused how someone is 'missing'. The collision was with a tree and not into the canal which is what I assumed after seeing the media reports.
Looks like car fishtailed before colliding. Could be due to tyre burst, could be due to traction loss because of high spin. But definitely a mechanical failure (either design or manufacturing).

"missing" because no seat belt, and was catapulted to canal which is right next to the road.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 19:49   #39562
BHPian

Quote:
Never though that I would be posting it here but a dear friend of mine met with this accident due to a idiot driving his 2-wheeler in the middle of the road in the opposite direction.
The biker is clearly at fault and let's consider him as a stray cattle on the highway.
However, I see the following mistakes by the car driver.

1. Not maintaining safe following distance
2. Overtaking without having visibility of what's in front of him.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 11:47   #39563
BHPian

Quote:

Front bumper, headlamps and front left tyre are gone. He is awaiting insurance payout for the work to begin. The car was only 4 months old

https://Youtu.be/n5FQK15-qko
Very sorry to hear that your friend has to go through this even after he is at no fault. Did you tweet about it and help the authorities responsible for the bribery and no action against the biker?
Highh5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 13:13   #39564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Very sorry to hear that your friend has to go through this even after he is at no fault. Did you tweet about it and help the authorities responsible for the bribery and no action against the biker?
Usually in such cases, they will play the sympathy card to extract money. Us in car, him in a bike. Poor family, wife kid etc etc and such sob stories.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 13:41   #39565
BHPian

Came across this video on Facebook, where a buffalo rams into a bike rider and then proceeds to mercilessly maul him. Such incidents are becoming regular on our roads. The biker is sure to have sustained heavy injuries judging by the video. Stray cattle is a rising menace on public roads.

IamNikhil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 13:55   #39566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
The biker is clearly at fault and let's consider him as a stray cattle on the highway.
However, I see the following mistakes by the car driver.

1. Not maintaining safe following distance
2. Overtaking without having visibility of what's in front of him.
Sorry to disagree here. If we consider the possibility of stray here then in that case they are usually standing / walking very slow for the driver to take corrective action, in this case steer right but here it was a biker who is also driving at considerable speeds towards a vehicle that is being driven and hence hampering the ability to control.
Plus over driving in the opposite direction he is also on phone further disabling himself to take any corrective action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Not really. My friend was already shaken with this accident and that his new vehicle was damaged in merely 4 months. Also usually nothing happens in these cases. Money can be earned but peace of mind will be gone.

P.S. The driver is experienced and this is his third vehicle which he brought new.

Last edited by ankitsharma : 11th January 2024 at 13:56. Reason: Adding more info
ankitsharma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 14:33   #39567
BHPian

Quote:
If we consider the possibility of stray here then in that case they are usually standing / walking very slow for the driver to take corrective action,
That was an example, but it can considered as any obstacle on the road.
The driver is not in a position to overtake the bus safely.
He's tailgating the bus and lacks visibility of what's in front.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 11th January 2024 at 14:36.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 15:00   #39568
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, I feel very sorry for your friend and I hope he gets back his machine ASAP. With no second thoughts, your friend is not at fault here and that idiot should be jailed for life, but I feel there was the slightest possibility your friend had to avoid this accident.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg

At 0:33 this idiot can be seen for the first time, the impact is roughly 1.5 seconds after this grab. I feel your friend could have steered right within that period, infact I feel your friend didn't even give it a try a steer away instead he hit head-on. I know this is nit-picking to the maximum extent, but unfortunately in our country as drivers, we need to be prepared for accidents in any manner and drive carefully. I am not saying that, had he steered away he could have avoided this accident, it is what we do in that little second that matters a lot.
vvivek85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 15:10   #39569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
but I feel there was the slightest possibility your friend had to avoid this accident.

At 0:33 this idiot can be seen for the first time, the impact is roughly 1.5 seconds after this grab. I feel your friend could have steered right within that period, infact I feel your friend didn't even give it a try a steer away instead he hit head-on.
What we are seeing in the video is from the position of camera, which is usually mounted on the centre of windshield. The driver is sitting further to right. That won't give him view of the idiot biker till the bike crossed the bus; leaving no time for any sort of reaction from driver.
AutoNoob is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 15:14   #39570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post

At 0:33 this idiot can be seen for the first time, the impact is roughly 1.5 seconds after this grab.
This may not be 100% correct, as the capture is from dashcam - at the centre of the windscreen - the biker may not be visible from the driver's seat due to the angle. Also, it's a matter of split second - even if the car would have stopped, the idiot would have hit the car - so chances of avoiding these kind of accidents are very less in my opinion.
trave11er is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks