Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 12:13   #30646
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
but the owner was complaining about the non-functioning of airbags
To deploy or not – Is vehicle speed a factor that is considered? Assuming if in this case the car was stationery or in low speeds, could that be a reason?
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 12:18   #30647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
No casualties, all the occupants were alive, but the owner was complaining about the non-functioning of airbags, further details were not known.
Thank God. The lower part of the car seems to be in much better shape compared to the upper portion. Almost as if it was the A-pillar and roof that took the brunt of the impact instead of the the front crumple zone. It is a true miracle that the occupants survived in that sort of a situation. The bumper looks to be just misaligned and even the fog lamps and number plates are intact. Even the bonnet is devoid of scratches. Could it be attributed to a weird angle of impact? I'm almost certain that it was not a head on collision or even a frontal overlap. If that is the case, that may be the reason why the airbags didn't deploy. Not sure though. We can see damage to both the rear doors as well. Possible rollover? I remember seeing the rear which was not damaged ruling out a sandwich/rear-ending theory. Unfortunately the FB page is not available to double check. I guess we can't be sure of anything without further details.

I wonder why the airbag sensors are not set to detect rapid deceleration along with impact. Wouldn't it make them a bit more accurate in these kind of scenarios? Although I doubt they would be of little help if the impact is above the bonnet area.

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 11th March 2020 at 12:30.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 20:37   #30648
BHPian

Another KTM high speed crash. Judging by the picture, KTM might not have survived. Not sure of the Omni Driver.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ktm.jpg
Old 11th March 2020, 20:54   #30649
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Another KTM high speed crash. Judging by the picture, KTM might not have survived. Not sure of the Omni Driver.
Its from 2017.

A young 15 year old pillion rider did not survive this crash.
http://www.navhindtimes.in/15-year-o...de-at-sirsaim/
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 23:07   #30650
Distinguished - BHPian

In a minor scuff, I came up against a biker overtaking on my right as I took a right turn this evening.

No harm done, except perhaps to his ears, as I was not polite.

His fault. But strictly between you and me, if I had observed the mirror properly instead of being distracted by something else, I could have shouted at him as he whizzed by.

Defensive driving. How many times have I said it. Repeating it to self this evening.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 08:27   #30651
BHPian

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/74579377.cms

A 20 year old engineering student died on the spot when he came under the wheels of a truck in Madurai, Tamilnadu.

RIP.

The prime reason of the accident was the deceased himself, overtaking the truck from the left. The auto driver is also to be blamed for starting without checking his rear view mirror, which startled the biker who skidded and fell into the rear tyre of the truck and died on the spot.

There is another unrelated motorcyclist travelling in wrong side in opposite lane. A milkman is seen riding without wearing helmet. Another motorcyclist carrying ladder using pillion. Lots of rules flouting in this single frame.

The Police are on manhunt to search the driver of truck. But for what? Poor guy.

Lesson:
1. Never ever ever overtake from left.
2. Expect that vehicles trying to enter the road may do so without checking rear view mirror/shoulder check and slow down in advance.

Ideally, the motorcyclist should have stayed behind the truck and overtaken from right side if conditions are correct. Patience is key in roads. Trying to save 50 seconds has made him lose 50 years of life.

Last edited by Arwin07 : 13th March 2020 at 08:30.
Arwin07 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 11:08   #30652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
The prime reason of the accident was the deceased himself, overtaking the truck from the left. The auto driver is also to be blamed for starting without checking his rear view mirror, which startled the biker who skidded and fell into the rear tyre of the truck and died on the spot.
Apologies for including the whole post in my reply. But I agree that Motorcycle rider is to blame for his untimely demise (what an unfortunate/ painful way). He should have slowed down in anticipation of lesser space to overtake, instead he assumed he could get away.

Most riders drive this way these days & we have to fear not for any harm to them but to ourselves/ our assets in case of accident.

Not ignoring the auto driver in this case, who can be blamed, but most (shared) autos are driven this way by morons. They conveniently shrug off rash & negligent driving to their poor economic background & lack of education. Well it's the traffic police to deal with them IMO.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th March 2020 at 11:20. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 16:41   #30653
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Konarak for sharing!

Quote:
At Worli sea face just now. I think there were 3 women and a child in the car.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20200313-16.24.55.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20200313-16.24.56.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2020 at 16:44.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 16:48   #30654
BHPian

Must be going crazy fast for the bmw to be destroyed like that. Did it hit a pole?
Old 13th March 2020, 16:54   #30655
BHPian

Quote:

The Police are on manhunt to search the driver of truck. But for what? Poor guy.
I am shocked by this line

What does the law say in cases like this where someone comes under the rear wheel of a bigger vehicle for no fault of the big vehicle? Is the driver of such a vehicle still be guilty of rash driving? If yes, I would be really really scared of driving on our roads and might even give up driving! In this case, the trucker's union or employer might give a strong support and he might walk away without much trouble. What about a common man? What if there was no security camera?? The very thought of some moron coming under my wheels for absolutely no fault of mine and ruining my life is downright scary!
nagr22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 17:41   #30656
BHPian

Quote:

The truck driver did nothing wrong. It was completely self inflicted. This is a classic case of blindly blaming the bigger vehicle for the accident. Hopefully he is not wrongly punished.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 19:52   #30657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
I am shocked by this line

What does the law say in cases like this where someone comes under the rear wheel of a bigger vehicle for no fault of the big vehicle? Is the driver of such a vehicle still be guilty of rash driving? If yes, I would be really really scared of driving on our roads and might even give up driving! In this case, the trucker's union or employer might give a strong support and he might walk away without much trouble.

Problem is he (truck driver) can prove himself not guilty by wasting 20 yrs going to the courts, loosing time and income.

Or admit guilt, and get truck's third party insurance to pay whatever compensation is awarded, and get free in two or three court hearings.
Infaction on the license in RTO records remains for 3 years, and if there is nothing similar in those 3 years it is gone.
Video shows truck moving left and slowing, probably police want to ignore the incident, and show it as a hit and run with driver not found. This is often done to save court, police and the drivers time.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 23:41   #30658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Attachment 1979594
Mumbai Mirror is reporting three women dead including a 6 month toddler.

The Lady driver survived and is battling for life in hospital. Lady Driver Mother who was in the passenger seat (not wearing seat belt?) was thrown out on to the bonnet through the front windshield. Lady Driver Husband is a Pilot.

Again highlights the importance of seat belt.

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 13th March 2020 at 23:43.
Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 08:39   #30659
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Must be going crazy fast for the bmw to be destroyed like that. Did it hit a pole?
Quote:
Mumbai Mirror is reporting three women dead including a 6 month toddler.
Looks like they missed a speed-breaker and lost control. News Article.

Speed, carelessness (missing a speed-breaker), not wearing a seatbelt = disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited by GTO : 14th March 2020 at 08:43.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 08:45   #30660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

Again highlights the importance of seat belt.
Doesn't matter how rich you are, you cannot buy common sense. Had the lady on passenger seat be belted, she wouldn't have been thrown out of the car. Moreover, if you can buy a luxury car costing millions, you can very well spend a few thousand for a good child seat. RIP.
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks