Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2018, 17:10   #526
BHPian
 
cbatrody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 136
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
So if someone showed you 3 severe accidents (i.e., one more than the two that you've seen) of another car where the airbags didn't deploy, will you conclude that that car is more unsafe than an XUV?
Of course, YES. As I mentioned before, the Manufacturer or the Model is immaterial here. My response would've been the same if the car was from any other manufacturer (TATA, Maruti Suzuki).
cbatrody is offline  
Old 26th September 2018, 00:02   #527
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 586
Thanked: 284 Times
Default Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Judgements and conclusions are being based on Google image search. I feel this is lopsided and inaccurate. Not all accidents in general, and airbag deployment in particular, are going to be posted on the Internet. When posted the tagging in all those images will not necessarily have key words like “airbag deployed” “airbag not deployed”, etc. The accompanying article may or may not mention such terms. So the search result will be skewed. This is not a good basis for arriving at conclusions, imho.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 01:23   #528
BHPian
 
Jeevith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 213
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
So if someone showed you 3 severe accidents (i.e., one more than the two that you've seen) of another car where the airbags didn't deploy, will you conclude that that car is more unsafe than an XUV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
Of course, YES. As I mentioned before, the Manufacturer or the Model is immaterial here. My response would've been the same if the car was from any other manufacturer (TATA, Maruti Suzuki).
Check out this link and let me know when your going to be selling your Ertiga considering how "unsafe" it is (unless you've already sold it).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ndia-1164.html (Pics: Accidents in India)

(see post Nos. 17477, 14155, 25372, 27177)

*PS: I'm not inferring that the Ertiga is unsafe, and on the contrary will probably buy the car in the near future. But took the time out (precisely 7 mins) to dig out these pics just reiterate the flaws in your logic.
Jeevith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 10:57   #529
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 474
Thanked: 1,956 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4441649 (Ford doesn't have an EcoSport for Team-BHP; Can we please borrow yours?)

I say this again, all we wanted was an answer, nothing more, nothing less. Which Ford has not yet come up with.

And why it very nostalgic & all that blah?
Firstly, please don't 'blah' me again. That's being rude. And rude posts are not allowed here.

Secondly, YOU are talking of a completely unrelated thread.

Thirdly, I just mentioned something which was nostalgic to me because, in the post I quoted, SDP has almost mirrored what I was trying to say in another thread a while ago. Talking more about it here, would be completely off topic.
SCORPION is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 11:56   #530
BHPian
 
cbatrody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 136
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Check out this link and let me know when your going to be selling your Ertiga considering how "unsafe" it is (unless you've already sold it).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ndia-1164.html (Pics: Accidents in India)

(see post Nos. 17477, 14155, 25372, 27177)

*PS: I'm not inferring that the Ertiga is unsafe, and on the contrary will probably buy the car in the near future. But took the time out (precisely 7 mins) to dig out these pics just reiterate the flaws in your logic.
How insane! How do you compare apple to oranges? I don't think you'll ever get the crux of the matter (may be intentional).

Do XUV500 and Ertiga fall in the same segment? Are they competitors?

The Ertiga that I have back home in India is a basic variant with no safety features, airbags etc. This is mainly used (by may family members) as a runabout and not for long distance journeys. Tomorrow, god forbid, if something happens I would never blame (there is no scope anyways) the manufacturer because I knew from the beginning that it had no airbags, no safety features, not very well built etc. I would never have a feeling of deceit against the manufacturer (Maruti Suzuki) in the end.

Could you say the same about your XUV?

I never advocated you to sell your car and I don't think you should interfere in someone else's as well.

If you go through my previous posts, all I said was please refrain from buying an XUV500 assuming that it is a safer car. XUV is definitely not a safe car like how they project it to be. You or anyone else for that matter can just ignore what I said and go ahead with booking an XUV, just as simple as that. You're not obliged to me and the same other way round.

There is a difference between marketing something to be a premium product which is allegedly safer with numerous safety aspects (airbags, ABS, Traction Control, Lane Assist etc. what not..) vs a basic one that don't promise you any of the above and does not charge you premium. Hope you get the difference.
cbatrody is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 12:11   #531
BHPian
 
amrutmhatre90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 414
Thanked: 2,335 Times
Default Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Totally off the topic, but many car manuals say if the sensors do not come in contact the air bags do not deploy. Saw this video long time back and just made me think, during the crash the front of the car did not come in contact with anything at all sill the Volvo had its front airbags deployed. Why can't other manufactures have this in their cars too. I have no clue how the XUV would fair in similar scenario but I guess this the reason why Volvo's cars are safest, they do not compromise on safety at all.



I guess its high time manufactures start taking safety seriously in India.

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 26th September 2018 at 12:12.
amrutmhatre90 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 12:16   #532
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 849
Thanked: 1,126 Times
Default

As far as I can figure out, the sensors are accelerometer based mechanisms. See the youtube video I posted a few posts back. If that sensor would come under direct impact it would actually break and likely fail. So, no I don't think that sensors need to be impacted for airbag to open. They are totally G Force dependent in as much as I could see.
Traveler is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 13:34   #533
BHPian
 
Jeevith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 213
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
How insane! How do you compare apple to oranges? I don't think you'll ever get the crux of the matter (may be intentional).

Do XUV500 and Ertiga fall in the same segment? Are they competitors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
Please do a Google search yourself on "mahindra xuv500 airbags deployed in an accident" & search again replacing Mahindra XUV500 with Mercedes Benz.

So when you compare a mercedes to an XUV does the apples and oranges theory not apply? (Quoted your original post as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
I never advocated you to sell your car and I don't think you should interfere in someone else's as well.
I only said this is in jest to make a point. You see no issues in advocating that people shouldn't buy the XUV, so I thought I'd take the liberty to suggest you sell your Ertiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
If you go through my previous posts, all I said was please refrain from buying an XUV500 assuming that it is a safer car. XUV is definitely not a safe car like how they project it to be. You or anyone else for that matter can just ignore what I said and go ahead with booking an XUV, just as simple as that. You're not obliged to me and the same other way round.

There is a difference between marketing something to be a premium product which is allegedly safer with numerous safety aspects (airbags, ABS, Traction Control, Lane Assist etc. what not..) vs a basic one that don't promise you any of the above and does not charge you premium. Hope you get the difference.
Nice to see your stance mellow from the posts quoted below. Guess some progress is being made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
Conclusion is: the product (airbags in XUV500) is spurious, not well designed, may be with an improper algorithm, have cheap sensors or in layman's terms - half cooked, doesn't serve the purpose that it is designed for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
Of course, YES. As I mentioned before, the Manufacturer or the Model is immaterial here. My response would've been the same if the car was from any other manufacturer (TATA, Maruti Suzuki).
Jeevith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 14:05   #534
BHPian
 
cbatrody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 136
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
So when you compare a mercedes to an XUV does the apples and oranges theory not apply? (Quoted your original post as well)
I never wanted to, but that was only a reply to "TheIndian" when he quoted the below in Post#508.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian
Now going by your logic, try to search "Mercedes airbags didn't deploy", you'll get a list there as well, like below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Nice to see your stance mellow from the posts quoted below. Guess some progress is being made.
I've not changed my stance and I would stick to whatever I posted before. I would still suggest people to think twice before buying an XUV keeping it's advertised safety aspects in mind.
cbatrody is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 14:15   #535
Team-BHP Support
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea (Bihar)
Posts: 7,145
Thanked: 9,487 Times
Default Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Firstly, please don't 'blah' me again. That's being rude. And rude posts are not allowed here.
Dear Scorpion, let me assure you I was not being rude .

Blah was for the reason that you were repeating things said by you in the K-truss thread which holds no value till Ford comes up with an answer.

Quote:
Secondly, YOU are talking of a completely unrelated thread.
I bet you have not clicked on the link, any which way, this is what it read -
Quote:
Are you serious? All we wanted, was an answer from Ford, nothing more.

Why could they not come up with an answer can be any one's guess [at least now] and defame Ford? With the kind of guys working with Ford, no one needs to defame them, they are competent enough to do that act themselves.

Guys supporting Ford don't look into the bigger picture. What happens if one fine day your ASC or manufacturer refuses to cooperate/provide assistance on your valid/genuine concerns?

Worse, you sell your Ford and will you still be loyal, why is there a need to be so? Car brands will come and go, friends are for life, support for a good, unbiased cause which is going to benefit one and all.
Quote:
Thirdly, I just mentioned something which was nostalgic to me because, in the post I quoted, SDP has almost mirrored what I was trying to say in another thread a while ago. Talking more about it here, would be completely off topic.
Sorry, but whatever you or anyone says, we don't come to a conclusion till Ford comes up with an answer. Its a case of yes or no.

I don't know or will not believe anyone but Ford with their answer/s. Getting nostalgic or whatever. That is one choice you have to make, especially when you go on accusing members [that is being rude dear Scorpion in case it doesn't register] when Ford themselves chose to be quiet over it.

The thread had to be closed because Ford did not come up with an answer, isn't it apparent why they did not come up with one?

I do not wish to further dilute this thread and hence this is my last post here on this topic.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th September 2018 at 14:17.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 14:57   #536
BHPian
 
deadguy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 389
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

We have gone 36 pages, a good number of it by debating about the XUV's safety and I agree it is important (safety).

Debating should not lead to argument and finally end-up on bashing each other.

Some of the posts are going in a different direction.

It does not look nice to be writing with a wrong tone.

NOTE: I am NOT referring to anyone in particular. It is a general observation based on some posts.
deadguy25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 14:57   #537
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,618
Thanked: 10,646 Times
Default Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

A reminder to members to stick to the original topic and avoid derailing the thread with irrelevant discussions.

Thanks
Team-BHP Support Team

Last edited by SDP : 27th September 2018 at 22:41.
SDP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 17:38   #538
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 256
Thanked: 706 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Arvind -

My best wishes and prayer for your kid's recovery. May you have the strength to see all this through.

Please see my #3 below - if you can create one, please share a graphic that we can put up on our FB/Tw. Else shout for help, someone from TBhp will make one.



Friends -

Clearly, we as a community, should support Arvind. He is the aggrieved party.

We can help, we just need get beyond writing posts -
1. Find a really good lawyer in our network, help convince him/her to take this case,
2. Pool funds so that Arvind can pay that lawyer or other expenses (in case Arvind needs funds),
3. Put up a predefined/predesigned status message on our Facebooks, Twitters, and tag Mahindra, its competitors, esp. in Australia, US, and every market they sell in,
4. …


M&M isn't behaving well here, and I don't understand why some members are so happy to see that email from their Service Head.
He offers no guarantee that Arvind's interests a M&M customer will be protected, and the tone certainly sounds 100% corporate-speak (cover your a**, in other words).

Think about this. If we can spearhead a movement that leads to establishment of a new safety monitoring agency, or more transparency in sharing all certifications online (incl. of components) then we would have achieved something for each and everyone of Indians, and more for ourselves petrolheads/dieselheads.

And finally, if readers still think the XUV500's airbag system is fine, God bless you.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 18:44   #539
BHPian
 
cbatrody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 136
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
3. Put up a predefined/predesigned status message on our Facebooks, Twitters, and tag Mahindra, its competitors, esp. in Australia, US, and every market they sell in,
Well thought out points, nicely put!

Could people with twitter account hashtag the below please?

#XUV500Unsafe
cbatrody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 12:23   #540
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vijayawada-AP
Posts: 287
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

Guys, have been seeing NCAP ratings for few cars since yesterday.

Is there any ncap rating for xuv500 as well, done as part of these tests. Thanks.
vvrchandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks