Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2008, 21:23   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

luna/50cc bikers, ooold bajaj scooterists with hand-made helmets. cockroaches have better road manners.

sensible driving = lane discipline. biggest clue to watch out for.
Old 14th March 2008, 21:30   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Good analysis there opendro and all this on our Indian roads.. Hmmm !!
Dint you read ? He mentioned at 40kmph . So take it easy , to each his own.
No one is forcing him to change his style. All said and done there is more than what words can express here (probably feel), thats why "comfortable in ones own way".

Drive safe and have a good time.
Old 12th April 2008, 18:23   #408

The other day, I had the opportunity of 'joining' a not so broad road that had slow moving traffic. As the road widened, everybody had the opportunity to witness the cause of it all. At the front of it all was an aunty driving at full throttle. But I guess she forgot she is supposed to change to the second gear.
Old 12th April 2008, 18:46   #409
BHPian

come on sunson - no one can be that dumb - maybe she had a missing gear or some other fault
Old 30th April 2008, 10:19   #410
Senior - BHPian

well i dont think one has to very hard put all best and truck drivers in this list.
HaHaHa
Old 30th April 2008, 12:02   #411
BHPian

My 2 Cents

1) Beware of Lane Switchers (Bob and weave through traffic).
2) Corporate Cabs all SUMO's, indica's and Tavera's included.
3) As our friends indicated Volvo's and public transport vehicles etc.
4) people who have anything that looks like a phone stuck to their ear when driving. (never realize life is more valuable than a phone call)
5) Eco friendly pedestrians crossing roads everywhere but the Z crossings.

Personally how good a driver you are, the one driving next to you can always make a mistake.

Drive safely & responsibly,you are not just responsible for your life alone.
Old 30th April 2008, 13:19   #412
Senior - BHPian

Phone call in the middle of the road!

This incident happened when I was returning home yesterday evening. I was driving under the railway bridge near RTO junction. Suddenly traffic came to a standstill, eventhough the signal was green.

After a few minutes, vehicles in front of me started moving slowly. I could then see the cause of the traffic block! An idiot in a Chetak scooter had stopped on the side of the road and was speaking on his mobile!

The road is very narrow under the bridge and because of his remarkable stupidity, everyone was stuck! I blasted my powerful horns for a full minute. Only then that idiot moved his scooter out of the way!!!
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:35   #413
BHPian

I have seen a plenty of bad driver on the road, also sat with bad drivers on the wheels. Its noteworthy that not all bad drivers are dangerous. Some of them knows they are bad or clumsy on wheels so they are extra careful. However on the other hand, there are some drivers who are pretty skilled and they will scare the hell out of many other drivers/passengers by their speeding and squeezing through seemingly impossible tight spaces and cutting lanes etc.

Just expressing my views that there are 'bad drivers' and then there are 'dangerous drivers'.
Old 22nd May 2008, 21:24   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
This incident happened when I was returning home yesterday evening. I was driving under the railway bridge near RTO junction. Suddenly traffic came to a standstill, eventhough the signal was green.

After a few minutes, vehicles in front of me started moving slowly. I could then see the cause of the traffic block! An idiot in a Chetak scooter had stopped on the side of the road and was speaking on his mobile!

The road is very narrow under the bridge and because of his remarkable stupidity, everyone was stuck! I blasted my powerful horns for a full minute. Only then that idiot moved his scooter out of the way!!!
Perfect time to have a Jeep/rugged off-road truck. Give the moron a nudge from the back,and make him move all the way to the end of the road/spot where traffic would easen.
Arrgghh!! Too bad some people weren't born with brains.
Old 23rd May 2008, 00:39   #415
BHPian

Lane switchers without indicators & with hands

I generally do this on a highway or on a city road where cars are moving above 40km/h. (mumbai) for cars having working indicators!!

generally when i'm in the first lane

What i do is, first look at the car ahead in the second lane (is it a commercial, private car with working turn-signals). Private cars (drivers driving esp) have ac on so they cant stick their hands out.

If yes then if he/she tries to enter my lane in the front without indication.. I give a small honk (morning) flash head-lights (evening/night) and try and keep in speed with him side by side and not let him enter my lane till he gives a indication ... when he does i let him make the move respecting his indication!!

^^^

this might sound stupid/childish/annoying; But i think this makes them use their rusting indicators and will hopefully remember to use it next time for some time. (annoying for some because if any 1 from mumbai has faced this guy, its gotta be me). Does any one think i'm wrong here??

Now-a-days i have seen taxi wallas "actually" use the turn indicators!! Even though these fiat's in mumbai are a 100 yrs old, wrecked, the bulbs are weak, but you can see a small spark some times in them in the dark!! People should learn a thing or two from them.
Old 23rd May 2008, 01:25   #416
Senior - BHPian

Good one,TC.
I do that all the time. Driving in Houston is no joke,thanks to a zillion morons behind the wheels of 4000lbs trucks. I try my best to keep a person from getting in front of me without indicating. If they accelerate,I do so too. If the person indicates,I easen off and let them pass. I hate people driving Beemers & Mercs,one hand on the wheel,other holding a phone and driving like its their 'khaandaani' road.
Old 23rd May 2008, 08:26   #417
BHPian

Bad Drivers have atleast some, if not all of these:-
1) Always drive on main beam headlamp.
2) Never follow lane discipline.
3) Uses headlamps very frequently during daytime for right of way.
4) Uses horn very frequently, even when not necessary. Usually is fitted with the loudest and most irritating horn.
5) Overtakes from either side.
6) No signals indicating lane change.
7) Always tailgating, regardless of speed.
8) First vehicle is usually an Indica or Omni. If well off, then something large and intimidating like a Sumo, Scorpio, vehicles of that type.
9) No anticipation.
10) Usually has the loudest music system, playing full blast.
11) Is never polite.
Old 13th June 2008, 20:22   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Good one,TC.
I do that all the time. Driving in Houston is no joke,thanks to a zillion morons behind the wheels of 4000lbs trucks. I try my best to keep a person from getting in front of me without indicating. If they accelerate,I do so too. If the person indicates,I easen off and let them pass. I hate people driving Beemers & Mercs,one hand on the wheel,other holding a phone and driving like its their 'khaandaani' road.
.I too never allows these buggers to overtake when lanes merge.Have you noticed how truckers tailgate you to pass on major highways and almost everytime are overspeeding.
Old 20th June 2008, 14:48   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_aashay View Post
I generally do this on a highway or on a city road where cars are moving above 40km/h. (mumbai) for cars having working indicators!!

generally when i'm in the first lane

What i do is, first look at the car ahead in the second lane (is it a commercial, private car with working turn-signals). Private cars (drivers driving esp) have ac on so they cant stick their hands out.

If yes then if he/she tries to enter my lane in the front without indication.. I give a small honk (morning) flash head-lights (evening/night) and try and keep in speed with him side by side and not let him enter my lane till he gives a indication ... when he does i let him make the move respecting his indication!!

^^^

this might sound stupid/childish/annoying; But i think this makes them use their rusting indicators and will hopefully remember to use it next time for some time. (annoying for some because if any 1 from mumbai has faced this guy, its gotta be me). Does any one think i'm wrong here??

Now-a-days i have seen taxi wallas "actually" use the turn indicators!! Even though these fiat's in mumbai are a 100 yrs old, wrecked, the bulbs are weak, but you can see a small spark some times in them in the dark!! People should learn a thing or two from them.
with you TC_aashay, but there is always a chance of Road Rage to happen at these moments, so have to carefully handle these situation, coz I have seen incidents that if you don't give them way they used pull back and take the wrong side to overtake sparking off the silent war, it's always good sense to to give those stupids there way, having some civic sense while driving is mandatory but that really lacks among others making driving miserable.
Old 20th June 2008, 14:53   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post

This happens everywhere Chevy Lover, I saw a Travera today morning with hazard lights and pitied him for something should have been wrong in the vehicle when I overtook found him on a mobile with all smiles and realized that he is purposely using the hazard lights for speaking to someone over the mobile, these kinda morons have to be shot below the pelvis

Sorry mods, can you please merge both my postings

Last edited by kingshan : 20th June 2008 at 14:54. Reason: Message to mods

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks