Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2008, 14:19   #481
BHPian

How do i spot bad drivers?

I don't. They find me!!!

After my observation on rash scorpio drivers (i even have a separate thread on them), these days its the INNOVA thats become irritating. I've had 4 consecutive "clash of attitudes" with INNOVAs. They're big, powerful and sometimes driven by morons.
My first meeting happened when this Innova coming opposite my direction cut into my lane to overtake another car and banged into my right side mirror. He broke it and didn't even stop.
Then there was this guy who overtook me on a crowded road and cut into my lane, his left mirror banging into my right mirror. Gave him a piece of mind and kept him behind for the next few kilometres.
Another guy overtakes me from the left on a crowded crawling traffic (Kasturi Nagar - NGEF mud / slush road) and his right mirror bangs into my left mirror.
And yesterday there is this idiot on an Innova who overtakes me and cuts sharply into my lane to avoid the slower truck in front of him and bangs into my right side mirror. I wanted to give the BIGGER MORON sitting behind a piece of mind...but somehow i backed off not to spoil my day.

Whats with these morons?

Why can't these car manufactures pre-fit their powerful cars with a Common Sense option just like Power Windows.
Old 17th October 2008, 14:54   #482
Senior - BHPian

I've generally noticed innova/tavera/ other commercial vehicles flashing/honking me from behind , especially at nights. Most of them are courteous and honk/flash mildly at first. I usually pull to the left and let them pass. I'm in no hurry to reach home , and their job depends on the drops they make and the miles they run.

Since the usually overtake and are on their way quickly ( and often are great oppurtunities to tailgate ) I dont mind
Old 18th October 2008, 11:14   #483

Two instances:

a) The two wheelers overtake you from right and suddenly takes a left turn.

b) In highways especially, Indicas (Yello Board) overtake you from all directions constantly honking and dipping.
Old 18th October 2008, 18:11   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post

After my observation on rash scorpio drivers (i even have a separate thread on them), these days its the INNOVA thats become irritating.
fully agree. Innova's are becoming quite irritating, especially on twisty highways where they overtake and push the car behind off the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post

4. Driving with a child in front in a car equipped with airbags !

Nice list, autoenthusiast. But I did get point number 4. Where do you put the kid then?
Old 20th October 2008, 11:12   #485
BHPian

You know ,even though the trouble they they cause us, but we cannot blame these freeks, It the cops. I think Chandigarh is probably the challan capital of the country, i remember even 10 years ago the traffic police could generate about 3 cr just from challan revenue, now that we got a lot more vehicles on the road, it might have soared even more(probably 10 cr or more). Here they'll challan you for just about anything, all for what they say would make the roads better and safe, but we all know its just for revenue, coz if it was'nt that ,they would have just started to inprove where they could make the most difference, and that is to check the driving schools and particularily the driving test that they take when they give out the licences, but they would'nt do that ,coz they dont get any cash from it.

Heres one more thing, a pals pop was boozed up one day and was driving on a narrow village road one night, and he smashed headon with a truck. Admitted in the ferozepure hospital with but minor bruises, we ask him what was he thinking at the time, since we knew he does'nt booze quite a lot. Well, he told us that since the road was quite narrow, he thought that truck's headlights were of 2 scooterists driving on both edges of the road, and he'll could cross them by driveing right in the middle of em. Yeh ,he just fine.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th October 2008 at 11:42. Reason: see note in post
Old 20th October 2008, 18:55   #486

Holding up traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
stuck with him at his pace

Sure there are a lot of things that drivers do that are a pain, like driving with one hand. But the main complaint I have is with those drivers that hold everyone up and the timid, scared drivers that refuse to pass when I can. If they cannot keep up with traffic they should get out of the way!
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:20   #487
BHPian

1) LANE DISCIPLINE. Its actually simple, yet only a handful of people try to follow it. And the sad part is even if you want to, a bunch of monkeys behind the wheels would not let you!

2) Driving/Riding with high beam on within city limits. I seriously do not understand why people do it. If I had a pick-up (Tata 207s, M&M Pik-Up, etc.) I swear I would ram into one of these bats!

I have given up hope on people honking, zig-zagging, not using blinkers, etc., etc.
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:48   #488
BHPian

[OT]
Torqy, I hope for your sake you're not driving an Ikon. It's one of the best cars on Indian roads today (the 1.6), but it comes with the flimsiest wing mirrors of almost any car.
Almost all Ikon drivers I know have had their wing mirrors broken and/or replaced at some point. Ford, of course, refuses to rectify the problem, OR lower the cost of the damn mirrors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post

I don't. They find me!!!

After my observation on rash scorpio drivers (i even have a separate thread on them), these days its the INNOVA thats become irritating. I've had 4 consecutive "clash of attitudes" with INNOVAs. They're big, powerful and sometimes driven by morons.
My first meeting happened when this Innova coming opposite my direction cut into my lane to overtake another car and banged into my right side mirror. He broke it and didn't even stop.
Then there was this guy who overtook me on a crowded road and cut into my lane, his left mirror banging into my right mirror. Gave him a piece of mind and kept him behind for the next few kilometres.
Another guy overtakes me from the left on a crowded crawling traffic (Kasturi Nagar - NGEF mud / slush road) and his right mirror bangs into my left mirror.
And yesterday there is this idiot on an Innova who overtakes me and cuts sharply into my lane to avoid the slower truck in front of him and bangs into my right side mirror. I wanted to give the BIGGER MORON sitting behind a piece of mind...but somehow i backed off not to spoil my day.

Whats with these morons?

Why can't these car manufactures pre-fit their powerful cars with a Common Sense option just like Power Windows.
Old 3rd November 2008, 07:56   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I find two ways of avoiding trouble are through evasion and anticipation of bad drivers. When it comes to the latter, I normally look for the following signs which shout that the driver although educated is totally illiterate when it comes to traffic and road sense.

I look at two things - the type of vehicle and the vehicle itself.

My top ten vehicles types to avoid are as follows:

1: Water tankers – rash, always going the wrong way at night, look at the condition of them
2: Autos – impulsive, if you get into trouble, they can gang up and turn a logical argument into an illogical one
3: Ambassadors – especially taxi/ yellow plates – they have nothing to lose – exception – polished black Ambys driven by respectable old men
4: Private Mofossil Buses – village anarchy comes to town
5: Tempo’s – more decrepit, more to avoid, especially if carrying vegetables
6: Indicar taxis – too much metal gives the driver a false sense of security
7: Ford Ikon taxi’s on the way to the airport – drivers enjoy them too much
8: Non owner driven Tata Sumo’s / Qualis – please see point 3
9: Old lorries carrying construction material – could not care less, cheaper to abandon ship in a crisis
10: Anything with a non standard spoiler in the back - ineffective appendage compensation, Anything with strips wider than my fist - unless it is a Ferrari, Mini Cooper etc – or with a Greddy sticker trying to break the sound barrier at 50km/h

Top Ten signs of a dangerous driver

1: All external mirrors folded – visually impaired
2: Driver wedged against the door pillar at an obtuse angle to the wheel in order to fit 4 people in front even when car is empty
3: More than one lamp / tail light/ headlight non operational - total neglect
4: Wheels - Tirupati tyre treads (bald for those up north) – one for a rainy day, wobbly wheels – driver has the sensitivity of a concrete block
5: People driving with kids on their lap or kids standing on the front seat – creating fatalities starts at home
6: Smoking when driving – getting that fix with one hand of the wheel, imagine the fun when the cigarette drops on the family jewels
7: Animated conversation with passenger whilst maintaining eye contact with the passenger
8: Lane creators – people who create a third lane on the extreme rights at the traffic lights - direct in the path of on coming traffic and expect you to let them in- fat chance! I drive past and thump the door with my fist – harmless, shocks them and the Vtec gets me away before they can catch up
9: Any car with a high no of side scrapes, frontal panel damage - pure neglect – possibly no insurance to repair the car - rear damage normally due to negligence of driver behind also cars with the directional alignment of a crab
10: People following too closely – I touch my brakes and accelerate and watch the fun as they panic

What else can you guys add ?
ajmat, an excellent analysis! well i can add up... what i fear the most on these damn indian roads? well for a start its these families of 3 or 4 or 5 who turn their bikes into mini vans.
The dad will be riding, a kid on the petrol tank, a kid squished between the mom and the dad and a toddler on the moms lap holding on for dear life wondering why its parents love it so much that they cant decently take it in an auto if they cant afford a car! The kid on the petrol tank is the scariest. Its almost as if the parents say i dont care if the kid flies off the petrol tank as long as my bike is safe and i dont have to spend on public transport! im extremely wary while overtaking these chaps, never know when one of the "occupants" may fall off.
Second are these cycle guys. Invariably random drunk chaps or very hyper chaps who'll be thinking that their cycles is a hayabusa or something and keep weaving in and out on the road. Never know when im gonna end up running over one of those idiots.
Third, probably the most dangerous of the lot (for the car) when buses coming out of the bus stop refuse to go straight and immediately turn right. I come to a complete standstill behind these buses because its happened twice that the moment i decided to go past them ( on slightly narrower roads, and witht he pressure of some fool honking from behind) the bus guy immediately started off and veered to the right almost taking my entire front end off.
Indian roads can be a scary place to be. With people having scant regard for their own safety, let alone others safety, its up to the more responsible drivers like us to stand up and set an example for those mentally challenged chaps from hell!
Old 3rd November 2008, 07:57   #490
BHPian

beware the demons on wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I find two ways of avoiding trouble are through evasion and anticipation of bad drivers. When it comes to the latter, I normally look for the following signs which shout that the driver although educated is totally illiterate when it comes to traffic and road sense.

I look at two things - the type of vehicle and the vehicle itself.

My top ten vehicles types to avoid are as follows:

1: Water tankers – rash, always going the wrong way at night, look at the condition of them
2: Autos – impulsive, if you get into trouble, they can gang up and turn a logical argument into an illogical one
3: Ambassadors – especially taxi/ yellow plates – they have nothing to lose – exception – polished black Ambys driven by respectable old men
4: Private Mofossil Buses – village anarchy comes to town
5: Tempo’s – more decrepit, more to avoid, especially if carrying vegetables
6: Indicar taxis – too much metal gives the driver a false sense of security
7: Ford Ikon taxi’s on the way to the airport – drivers enjoy them too much
8: Non owner driven Tata Sumo’s / Qualis – please see point 3
9: Old lorries carrying construction material – could not care less, cheaper to abandon ship in a crisis
10: Anything with a non standard spoiler in the back - ineffective appendage compensation, Anything with strips wider than my fist - unless it is a Ferrari, Mini Cooper etc – or with a Greddy sticker trying to break the sound barrier at 50km/h

Top Ten signs of a dangerous driver

1: All external mirrors folded – visually impaired
2: Driver wedged against the door pillar at an obtuse angle to the wheel in order to fit 4 people in front even when car is empty
3: More than one lamp / tail light/ headlight non operational - total neglect
4: Wheels - Tirupati tyre treads (bald for those up north) – one for a rainy day, wobbly wheels – driver has the sensitivity of a concrete block
5: People driving with kids on their lap or kids standing on the front seat – creating fatalities starts at home
6: Smoking when driving – getting that fix with one hand of the wheel, imagine the fun when the cigarette drops on the family jewels
7: Animated conversation with passenger whilst maintaining eye contact with the passenger
8: Lane creators – people who create a third lane on the extreme rights at the traffic lights - direct in the path of on coming traffic and expect you to let them in- fat chance! I drive past and thump the door with my fist – harmless, shocks them and the Vtec gets me away before they can catch up
9: Any car with a high no of side scrapes, frontal panel damage - pure neglect – possibly no insurance to repair the car - rear damage normally due to negligence of driver behind also cars with the directional alignment of a crab
10: People following too closely – I touch my brakes and accelerate and watch the fun as they panic

What else can you guys add ?
ajmat, an excellent analysis! well i can add up... what i fear the most on these damn indian roads? well for a start its these families of 3 or 4 or 5 who turn their bikes into mini vans.
The dad will be riding, a kid on the petrol tank, a kid squished between the mom and the dad and a toddler on the moms lap holding on for dear life wondering why its parents love it so much that they cant decently take it in an auto if they cant afford a car! The kid on the petrol tank is the scariest. Its almost as if the parents say i dont care if the kid flies off the petrol tank as long as my bike is safe and i dont have to spend on public transport! im extremely wary while overtaking these chaps, never know when one of the "occupants" may fall off.
Second are these cycle guys. Invariably random drunk chaps or very hyper chaps who'll be thinking that their cycles is a hayabusa or something and keep weaving in and out on the road. Never know when im gonna end up running over one of those idiots.
Third, probably the most dangerous of the lot (for the car) when buses coming out of the bus stop refuse to go straight and immediately turn right. I come to a complete standstill behind these buses because its happened twice that the moment i decided to go past them ( on slightly narrower roads, and witht he pressure of some fool honking from behind) the bus guy immediately started off and veered to the right almost taking my entire front end off.
Indian roads can be a scary place to be. With people having scant regard for their own safety, let alone others safety, its up to the more responsible drivers like us to stand up and set an example for those mentally challenged chaps from hell!
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:16   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
[OT]
Torqy, I hope for your sake you're not driving an Ikon. It's one of the best cars on Indian roads today (the 1.6), but it comes with the flimsiest wing mirrors of almost any car.
No, i drive a Bolero.
Regarding mirrors, Tempo Travellers have come up with an ingenious idea to protect theirs and smash yours. They have an after-market THICK metal covering which will surely smash your mirror into a million pieces. Isn't that metal protrusion illegal?
What are our brilliant traffic cops thinking? (BTW, do they think?)
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:05   #492
BHPian

Driving in most Indian metros is like threading a needle while your leg is being hacked off.
In Chennai however, there is a very clear hierarchy on the road. In the event of an accident, no matter how small or big, the person with the bigger more expensive vehicle is always at fault. I won't go into the numerous instances where a callous moron on two wheels rams into my rear bumper and gets off and starts creating a racket and demands that i pay for his repairs, and his grandmothers new hip.

Not stopping at that, there of course is the quintessential Indian biking idiot who thinks he can squeeze through any gap between cars at a traffic signal. No further explanation required.

THE WORST drivers in my opinion are most taxi drivers in their Qualis/Sumo/Innova/Tavera. Where do these people come from?? You wouldn't be blamed for thinking that they were Bikers who never quite made it professionally, and had to settle for driving taxis for a living! Their musical airhorns IMO can be stuffed up inappropriate parts of their body.
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:29   #493
BHPian

7 out of 10 moped riders think they are on a fireblade, the yellow board Indicas/ Sumos/ Taveras believe that they have a separate tours operator lane on the extreme right side of the road, and incidentally this happens whenever there is a clogged situation.

The auto rickshaw buggers believe that squeezing through the other vehicles is their birth right, well may be true they have unions too

I respect women drivers a lot and have seen them evolve and I don’t think there are many bad drivers out there now
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:28   #494
BHPian

For car in Pune, they should worried about the bicycle riders and the bikes also. As I m told, Pune has the largest number of bikers. Any comments?
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:49   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty2008 View Post
For car in Pune, they should worried about the bicycle riders and the bikes also. As I m told, Pune has the largest number of bikers. Any comments?
Chennai will follow pune plus the insensible attitude of the bikers overtaking in all directions creating trouble to themselves and people around. Given the points by ajmat, it will be difficult to drive itslef in chennai although what he quoted is absolutely true. MTC bus drivers in chennai create havoc in traffic . Also mostly in chennai cops are not bothered about traffic situation unless some VIP is crossing that area.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks