Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2018, 21:10   #9901
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
This photograph I got from RushLane, the question is who is on the right track
The fact that it's a solid white line on the road indicates that it's almost certainly a 2-way road.
Old 8th January 2018, 01:19   #9902
BHPian

Quote:
This photograph I got from RushLane, the question is who is on the right track. It looks to me that the 3 cars along with the gasoline tanker and the biker are on the right track, but then I could be wrong. Anyway, not a road to be on.
None of the vehicles look Indian to me.

The 2 cars behind the tanker seem like XUV, but their stance is much narrower / smaller. Both look of identical make though.

The tanker's logo neither belongs to IOCL / BPCL / HPCL. It's not TOTAL either.

Could be wrong, but if the pic is genuine, this doesn't seem like India.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 8th January 2018 at 01:21.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 12:28   #9903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This photograph I got from RushLane, the question is who is on the right track. It looks to me that the 3 cars along with the gasoline tanker and the biker are on the right track, but then I could be wrong. Anyway, not a road to be on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
None of the vehicles look Indian to me.

The 2 cars behind the tanker seem like XUV, but their stance is much narrower / smaller. Both look of identical make though.

The tanker's logo neither belongs to IOCL / BPCL / HPCL. It's not TOTAL either.

Could be wrong, but if the pic is genuine, this doesn't seem like India.
I was wondering the same. Check this page, tags the location as Nairobi.

But hey, the thread isn't specific to India, but rather for "Bad Drivers", so not a problem I guess.
Old 9th January 2018, 13:35   #9904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
But hey, the thread isn't specific to India, but rather for "Bad Drivers", so not a problem I guess.
The scenario could be from anywhere, but I am sure these road conditions are definitely seen on our roads.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 13:49   #9905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The scenario could be from anywhere, but I am sure these road conditions are definitely seen on our roads.
Yup, and that's exactly why it took a page for someone to point out it *might* not be India.
Old 9th January 2018, 20:50   #9906
BHPian

Two more heroes, same roundabout.

harsh79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 07:21   #9907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
The squids were just a few millimetres away from learning a painful lesson, which they should have IMHO
Those morons should definitely learn a lesson.

I encounter 'N' number of such idiots on my daily drive between Ramapuram-KK Nagar-Tambaram.

I sometimes wonder as to why these morons do such acrobatics on the road!

OT - I'm sure someday the 2 folks who cut across at (00:32) will definitely get thrashed by the locals similar to what has happened at Bangalore-Hyderabad highway!
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 11:18   #9908
Senior - BHPian

Encountered a 'distracted' biker the other day.
1. An unmanned busy junction usually causes a mini chaos as everyone wants right of way and be the first across.
2. A little misjudgement on the part of the biker and the car driver causes a gentle nudge.
3. The biker and pillion rider seem oblivious to traffic around as they go left and then right, I had to honk and brake to get their attention and they continued on like nothing happened.

Truckers and indicators - they end up tricking you dont they?!

PS: Ive repositioned my dashcam as I realised that they were pointing skyward as pointed out in the dash cam thread
Old 10th January 2018, 12:08   #9909
BHPian

This article from The Malayala Manorama online edition, gives a sad commentary on the way the private bus operators run their buses. The death of an eight-month pregnant woman after falling off a moving bus in Kottayam has highlighted the issue. The private bus drivers are a law unto themselves and don’t heed anyone.

Source : http://english.manoramaonline.com/co...us-kerala.html
Old 11th January 2018, 20:22   #9910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This has become very common across Bangalore's one-way streets
Just use the New Thippasandra/BEML Main road starting from 80 feet road and drive up to the BEML junction - you will see at least 20-30 vehicles including 2 wheelers, autos and cars coming at you on the wrong side
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Yes, I travel regularly in the New Thippasandra main road. Things have become worse of late - too many people disregard the one-way. Earlier it was only bikers. Now even autos and cars do it. Its particularly bad near the Ganesha Temple.
I too noticed some Traffic police yesterday in the by-lane next to Ganesha Temple catching some people for violations. But news of their presence travels very fast - I noticed many people taking bylanes to avoid them. What we need is regular and mobile patrols to catch violators off guard.....
The above posts will give you an idea that this road is one-way towards BEML Gate junction and is notorious for wrong-side drivers. Also, BHPian NPV has posted many times in the Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation thread about the menace in this particular road.

This happened today around 7pm in New Thippasandra Main Road, Bangalore. A bunch of about 20-30 civilian volunteers stationed themselves near Ganesha Temple along with placards reading 'Drive safe', 'One Way Road', 'Follow Traffic Rules' etc. Seemed like the placards were sponsored by a local kindergarten/school.
There were also couple of traffic cops who were catching offenders driving in the wrong side and giving them challan. I hung around the place for 10 minutes. Thanked some of the volunteers and the cops for the initiative and left.

If any of the volunteers or BTP staff are reading this post -
Seeing volunteers from the locality take initiative against this menace made my day.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 20:39   #9911
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
This happened today around 7pm in New Thippasandra Main Road, Bangalore. A bunch of about 20-30 civilian volunteers stationed themselves near Ganesha Temple along with placards reading 'Drive safe', 'One Way Road', 'Follow Traffic Rules' etc. Seemed like the placards were sponsored by a local kindergarten/school.
There were also couple of traffic cops who were catching offenders driving in the wrong side and giving them challan.
Thanks for sharing, very happy to know the police and public are actually taking steps to address this menace.

I always get the feeling this is one of those roads that are infested with too many die-hard traffic offenders who would never ever bother mending their ways. So much so, that on the scooter I have stopped taking the section beyond the Krishna Bhavan hotel (from here to BEML gate is where the maximum wrong side driving/riding takes place). I take the cross roads and escape the messy scenes on this road.

Yesterday morning I saw cops at the cross road after Ganesha temple stopping the wrong side riders, many of whom were surprised as this was around 9:30am when usually Cops are never around here.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 18:25   #9912
BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Found this pic of a new 7 seater 2 wheeler on a Facebook page. Please move to relevant thread if it is not appropriate here.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-26731175.jpg  

Last edited by Hickstead : 12th January 2018 at 18:28.
Hickstead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 10:28   #9913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yesterday morning I saw cops at the cross road after Ganesha temple stopping the wrong side riders, many of whom were surprised as this was around 9:30am when usually Cops are never around here.
If the cops install one or two cameras there, they will soon recover their money's worth in traffic fines.

I believe local citizens associations or individuals can sponsor the cost of erecting traffic cameras? 4-5k max per camera is what I hear but I could be wrong. Maybe approach the local traffic police station and make the offer?
Old 13th January 2018, 11:05   #9914
Senior - BHPian

He goeth left, he cometh right and nearly crashes into me!

deathwalkr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 11:57   #9915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If the cops install one or two cameras there, they will soon recover their money's worth in traffic fines.

I believe local citizens associations or individuals can sponsor the cost of erecting traffic cameras? 4-5k max per camera is what I hear but I could be wrong. Maybe approach the local traffic police station and make the offer?
And forego their "pocket money"? This is why there are no automated ticketing systems to catch offenders, when in fact, such systems are akin to the "Digital" revolution in the corporate world and would be able to easily make every road user behave.

Bodycams, automated ticketing, intelligent one way barriers, etc., etc., will be quietly ignored or sabotaged.

Most Viewed