Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2018, 12:28   #10021
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I watched this video on You Tube, and realized the US roads are no better than our roads, if what is shown is true, not that it makes me happy.

mods : If this video has been posted earlier, then kindly delete.
sparky@home is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 23:18   #10022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
I watched this video on You Tube, ... ... ...
Two things. First, this video is completely concocted. One could take best and worst driving scenarios and put them side by side like that, with footage shot in the same country. Even in India, one could take footage of comparatively orderly traffic moving freely on a comparatively smooth road, and compare it to some scrum in the pot holes.

The video may have had good points to make, but ruins it by using bad visual arguments. It's the sort of thing Whatsapp loves!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:23   #10023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Two things. First, this video is completely concocted. One could take best and worst driving scenarios and put them side by side like that, with footage shot in the same country. Even in India, one could take footage of comparatively orderly traffic moving freely on a comparatively smooth road, and compare it to some scrum in the pot holes.
Can't agree more. I've seen at least one incident of stupidity in the few countries of Europe that I've been to, including Germany. And some of them did result in more than a fender-bender.
Quote:
The video may have had good points to make, but ruins it by using bad visual arguments. It's the sort of thing Whatsapp loves!
These are the kind of videos that cause polarisation of opinions. With the latest trend of adding "Forwarded as received" at the bottom, the sender absolves her/himself of being responsible for correctness of the item. No fact-checking, no thinking over the message or video.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 19:50   #10024
BHPian

Suddenly a swift cutting the signal and pops out from no where..

Old 2nd April 2018, 20:38   #10025
BHPian

Chennai Road Manners - Two intelligent two wheelers taking a wrong U turn suddenly at the beginning of the fly over.

couswheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 21:40   #10026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
These are the kind of videos that cause polarisation of opinions. With the latest trend of adding "Forwarded as received" at the bottom, the sender absolves her/himself of being responsible for correctness of the item. No fact-checking, no thinking over the message or video.
Though not related to the thread, I simply blast the person posting a nonsense message adding " forwarded as received" in Whatsapp. A person cannot simply absolve the responsibility, he has to own the content he posts
Old 2nd April 2018, 22:05   #10027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Suddenly a swift cutting the signal and pops out from no where..
I suppose the Swift has made an illegal U turn, but I also noticed you seem to have turned off your head lights and forgotten to turn them on again. This serverly affects your visibility to others. The junction doesn't seem well lit and it's very hard to see a car without its headlights on. Which is why I never turn them off at signals. Make sure to practice checking your lights if you have a habit of turning them off at signals.
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 22:21   #10028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
I suppose the Swift has made an illegal U turn, but I also noticed you seem to have turned off your head lights and forgotten to turn them on again. This serverly affects your visibility to others. The junction doesn't seem well lit and it's very hard to see a car without its headlights on. Which is why I never turn them off at signals. Make sure to practice checking your lights if you have a habit of turning them off at signals.

The head lights were not turned off however just changed to low beams while waiting at the signal.
couswheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 22:35   #10029
BHPian

Quote:
The head lights were not turned off however just changed to low beams while waiting at the signal.
If you look closely in the video, it is very clear that you had turned the lights off.

Notice your headlights on the Zest?

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-hl_on.png

Now see how there is nothing on the Zest. If you had turned low beams, headlights would still have been visible on the Zest.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-hl_off.png
Old 3rd April 2018, 00:00   #10030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I watched this video on You Tube, and realized the US roads are no better than our roads, if what is shown is true, not that it makes me happy.
I can tell you from personal experience that driving in US is way better than driving in India. Traffic rules are followed by majority of the drivers here, unlike in India where it is more an exception than the norm. People are courteous and willing to stop and help if you are in trouble. Last but not the least, every life is valued, which is evident from the way people make way for emergency service vehicles.

Quote:
Why were you driving in the city on high beam?
amitoj is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 11:10   #10031
BHPian

Quote:
Why were you ever on high-beam?

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 11:54   #10032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Why were you ever on high-beam?

Cheers
Probably to get better video on the dashcam.

It's not just the high beam that people use on the city streets, it includes fog lamps and additional lights as well.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 14:38   #10033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
It's not just the high beam that people use on the city streets, it includes fog lamps ...
High-beam bad, fog lamps good. Or.. harmless, at least, because they point down and sideways. The should not dazzle anyone, except the dog that you may not have spotted without them. Increasing the spread of light immediately in front of the car (sideways, but not up) increases the safety of city driving.

No actual fog in this part of India: I call them pot-hole lamps!

(I'm talking about factory fit, properly adjusted, not stuff that people fit to bars, which are more like spot-lamps, and usually badly aimed as well)
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 14:42   #10034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OT For this thread, but:

Having driven in both places - I have to say they're quite similar. US does have its bits of horrible driving such as in NY, but for the rest of the country it's superb!
You will hit the odd pothole, but it's very patient and people follow the rules very well.

Germany though is more disciplined no doubt, which is why there are lesser accidents so to say, but at the same time - I found a lot of US Highways to be smoother than some stretches of the autobahn.

Lastly, I read somewhere that more often than not, a driver driving at a higher speed (Germany) is more attentive than someone cruising along (US) which could also explain the accident rates, as well as the fact in the US - the highways get monotonous very quick, unlike in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Why were you driving in the city on high beam?
I am guessing he means parking lights by low beam, and regular beam (in place of high beam), judging by the throw and angle of the light.
Quite a lot of people do it when they stop at a light to not bother cars in front of them - especially when you're first in line.

Last edited by lamborghini : 3rd April 2018 at 14:46.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 15:04   #10035
BHPian

Matured, but not ripened yet.

Suicidal Granpa. Not an ounce of common sense to observe the density of traffic. Living on the edge or should I say edge of Activa seat !!!

Name:  SuicidalGranpa.gif
Views: 1112
Size:  1.20 MB
prithm is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks