Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:17   #12151
BHPian

This happened on NICE Road few days ago.

The XUV300 almost crossed 2 lanes and tried to use shoulder area to overtake, where he found a parked truck and had to brake.

This happened on one of the interior roads of Bangalore.

I saw the stopped car and I was anticipating the driver or someone to come out and it happened.

Why don't people look back once while opening the door?

Hi Mods, please merge my posts.

Thank You.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd August 2022 at 12:53. Reason: as requested
chaitanyakrish is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:59   #12152
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
The XUV300 almost crossed 2 lanes and tried to use shoulder area to overtake, where he found a parked truck and had to brake.
Yeah that was risky.

But in the initial intro to the video you are hogging the fast lane. You should never hog the fast lane even if you’re doing the speed limits.
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:07   #12153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Yeah that was risky.

But in the initial intro to the video you are hogging the fast lane. You should never hog the fast lane even if you’re doing the speed limits.

I used a template from PowerDirector App to give an intro to the topic as a text message. The template ends at 0:09 seconds and then my video starts.
The intro video is from the app and it's not NICE Road too, Sorry for the confusion

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 22nd August 2022 at 12:18. Reason: described the context in a better way
chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:48   #12154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He cannot possibly see what will be ahead as he moves too the left of the truck. And he doesn't even abort the overtake.

Quote:
Why don't people look back once while opening the door?
Careless opening of a car door, especially here in India where 2-wheelers have no concept of leaving a safe distance, can potentially kill a biker. It can also bruise a pedestrian.

At the least, it is inviting an unpleasant repair bill for the door!

Yes, all it takes to avoid all these risks is one glance.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 23:19   #12155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
You should never hog the fast lane even if you’re doing the speed limits.
Theoretically and in Europe or in the US, yes. In India you have trucks hogging the fast lane at 40kph on a highway. If you go in the left lane you risk hitting vehicles parked in that lane since there's no shoulder. If you are in the middle lane vehicles start "cutting in" at higher than speed limit so a sane strategy is to be in the fast lane and let other vehicles overtake from the left.
StopUnderrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 23:24   #12156
BHPian

Quote:
This happened on NICE Road few days ago.

On top of that after realising that there's a parked truck and nowhere to go, instead of hard braking (he had enough time) he "cuts in" dangerously between the parked truck and the moving one

One wrong move and he risks a rear underride with the parked truck or getting squashed between these two heavy vehicles
StopUnderrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 01:06   #12157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
Theoretically and in Europe or in the US, yes. In India you have trucks hogging the fast lane at 40kph on a highway. If you go in the left lane you risk hitting vehicles parked in that lane since there's no shoulder. If you are in the middle lane vehicles start "cutting in" at higher than speed limit so a sane strategy is to be in the fast lane and let other vehicles overtake from the left.
Will have to disagree, hogging the right lane is even more dangerous in India as no one follows the speed limits on expressways. If you stay in the overtaking lane doing the limit, speeding traffic behind you is forced to brake - move to the middle lane - cut in front of you and accelerate again. This is anything but safe. If you want to do the limit stay out of the overtaking lane unless you’re overtaking someone.

With regards to cars cutting in when you’re in the middle lane, just ensure you’re not parallel to another vehicle in the right lane, as the aim is not to block the free flow of faster traffic behind, even if they’re over the limit (in the interest of defensive driving and self preservation).

Last edited by AJ56 : 23rd August 2022 at 01:17.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 11:02   #12158
Senior - BHPian

I am used to seeing two wheelers go on the wrong side to get past traffic on the correct lane but today morning i saw a private bus happily going on the wrong side of the divider and then creating a hell lot of chaos trying to merge back on to the correct lane!

He must be feeling extremely proud of himself. Sigh.
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:48   #12159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
If you go in the left lane you risk hitting vehicles parked in that lane since there's no shoulder. If you are in the middle lane vehicles start "cutting in" at higher than speed limit so a sane strategy is to be in the fast lane and let other vehicles overtake from the left.
Vehicle cutting in from higher than speed limit should not be our concern and it’s not our job to moderate traffic flow. The worst thing one can be is to be an impediment to traffic.

It is absolutely possible to drive on the left lane and only cross over to the fast lane whenever you see a slow moving vehicle/parked vehicle. I do that all the time and it’s not theoretical at all.

Allowing the fast lane to be open ensures that when a vehicle does want to overtake me they can easily do so from my right side and therefore it’s easier for both parties involved. As mentioned earlier, it’s not our job as road users to regulate traffic flow.

At least that is my take on this subject.

Quote:
The intro video is from the app and it's not NICE Road too, Sorry for the confusion
I understood that both are separate videos stitched together. Although I had assumed it was a video from your car taken at a different point in time.

In any case, whether the car in question is yours or not is of lesser concern. I just thought it’s a good example to convey the message that we should not hog the fast lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
With regards to cars cutting in when you’re in the middle lane, just ensure you’re not parallel to another vehicle in the right lane, as the aim is not to block the free flow of faster traffic behind, even if they’re over the limit (in the interest of defensive driving and self preservation).
Exactly this.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 23rd August 2022 at 12:52.
krishnakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 13:48   #12160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
He cannot possibly see what will be ahead as he moves too the left of the truck.
In fact, if he had tried that just a few seconds later, he would have become a star of one of the gory dashcam videos I can no longer stand to watch.
Old 28th August 2022, 20:51   #12161
BHPian

One of the most irritating and potentially dangerous thing on the roads near my home is the wrong side driving especially by 2 wheelers and auto rickshaws. Every single time I encounter these vehicles especially around corners, I wonder what is it that they actually gain by irritating others who are moving in the right direction.

Be it the guy who is driving in to the turning traffic with fully being blind to what's coming from his left, or the person who is trying to nudge through from behind a wall with a mobile phone held between his face and shoulder or the bullet boy who thinks I am intruding on his right of way... every single one of them do this simply because they can. They even think it is logical. "Why should I go around 2 Kms when this is just a half a km of ride in the one way?". They simply assume that no mishap will happen.

asmr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 08:54   #12162
BHPian

7 people in one bike, a perfect recipe of disaster. How can even one think of taking such risks with kids on board

vvivek85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 13:54   #12163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
7 people in one bike, a perfect recipe of disaster.
One bike: three adults and four children! Overload for a small family car, let alone a bike

Old 4th September 2022, 10:31   #12164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I find two ways of avoiding trouble are through evasion and anticipation of bad drivers. When it comes to the latter, I normally look for the following signs which shout that the driver although educated is totally illiterate when it comes to traffic and road sense.

I look at two things - the type of vehicle and the vehicle itself.

My top ten vehicles types to avoid are as follows:

1: Water tankers – rash, always going the wrong way at night, look at the condition of them
2: Autos – impulsive, if you get into trouble, they can gang up and turn a logical argument into an illogical one
3: Ambassadors – especially taxi/ yellow plates – they have nothing to lose – exception – polished black Ambys driven by respectable old men
4: Private Mofossil Buses – village anarchy comes to town
5: Tempo’s – more decrepit, more to avoid, especially if carrying vegetables
6: Indicar taxis – too much metal gives the driver a false sense of security
7: Ford Ikon taxi’s on the way to the airport – drivers enjoy them too much
8: Non owner driven Tata Sumo’s / Qualis – please see point 3
9: Old lorries carrying construction material – could not care less, cheaper to abandon ship in a crisis
10: Anything with a non standard spoiler in the back - ineffective appendage compensation, Anything with strips wider than my fist - unless it is a Ferrari, Mini Cooper etc – or with a Greddy sticker trying to break the sound barrier at 50km/h

Top Ten signs of a dangerous driver

1: All external mirrors folded – visually impaired
2: Driver wedged against the door pillar at an obtuse angle to the wheel in order to fit 4 people in front even when car is empty
3: More than one lamp / tail light/ headlight non operational - total neglect
4: Wheels - Tirupati tyre treads (bald for those up north) – one for a rainy day, wobbly wheels – driver has the sensitivity of a concrete block
5: People driving with kids on their lap or kids standing on the front seat – creating fatalities starts at home
6: Smoking when driving – getting that fix with one hand of the wheel, imagine the fun when the cigarette drops on the family jewels
7: Animated conversation with passenger whilst maintaining eye contact with the passenger
8: Lane creators – people who create a third lane on the extreme rights at the traffic lights - direct in the path of on coming traffic and expect you to let them in- fat chance! I drive past and thump the door with my fist – harmless, shocks them and the Vtec gets me away before they can catch up
9: Any car with a high no of side scrapes, frontal panel damage - pure neglect – possibly no insurance to repair the car - rear damage normally due to negligence of driver behind also cars with the directional alignment of a crab
10: People following too closely – I touch my brakes and accelerate and watch the fun as they panic

What else can you guys add ?
Hi,

I could add small children sticking their heads out of sunroof!Saw that a month ago.
Carevidence is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 12:01   #12165
BHPian

Sometime back, I hired a taxi (Innova) from Chandigarh to Delhi Airport. The driver stopped at a bunk and inflated each tyre to 50 psi. Obviously, I objected and made him lower the pressures to recommend values.

Driver moaned the entire journey and was adamant that it is safe and everyone (Taxis) does it.

I am a bit worried that more commercial drivers are doing this and risking lives.
attinder is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks