Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:48   #2596
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The Chennai police seems to have finally woken up to the fact that majority of the fatalities in accidents are pedestrians and the main reason for this is because they are forced to walk on the road (due to encroachers taking up the footpath). Last few days they were removing encroachments from some roads in the city. Anyway better late than never.

BTW, yesterday I am approaching a traffic circle (this is the one just before Officer's training academy from the new Velachery-GST road) wanting to take a left. The Santro in front of me (some 10ms in front) suddenly comes to a halt straddling the mid-lane/left -lane. Though I am driving at low speed, this comes as a surprise and am irritated - then I think maybe some issue with his car. Take the left slowly and as I pass him I see he is looking at his phone, then looks at the buildings on the right, then back at phone - must be confirming the location of some shop he wants to visit.
Sir, this happens immediately after every new govt. takes over/new commissioner/Asst. Commn. is appointed. Nothing new for chennai!

For your second point, its quite common in and around the velacherry area to cross paths with such highly skilled drivers. Most IT-iians, most of the residents of velacherry area are IT employees(nothing good(rule abiding) drivers) who buy a car in within their first few years of job, end up being a menace like this for other road users. Neither they know the rules, nor they let others follow it.
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:42   #2597
Senior - BHPian

Spot any car / motorbike / bicycle with any form of messaging viz : mom says no to race - i have to reach home early - play boy - etc on their vehicles 'Stay away' from them. They are possibly the worst drivers there are.

Cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:59   #2598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Spot any car / motorbike / bicycle with any form of messaging viz : mom says no to race - i have to reach home early - play boy - etc on their vehicles 'Stay away' from them. They are possibly the worst drivers there are.

Cheers,
ac
LOL. Quite true. Saw a car with the following written on its hatch:
Downpayment by Dad
EMIs by Mom
Enjoyed by Me.

How shameless can one get, really?
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 13:57   #2599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Spot any car / motorbike / bicycle with any form of messaging viz : mom says no to race - i have to reach home early - play boy - etc on their vehicles
They are mostly locals. But I agree. They drive almost as if they were on Moto GP. And if you do cross them in some way, AVOID having a squabble! They will most likely be drunk and WILL try and beat you up.
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:19   #2600
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a lot of bad drivers. When the signal is green, these buses take the wrong lane and cut rashly just missing other motorists. I had few calls there before.

The best part is that even the cops encourage them to do this. Just after the snap was taken few cars taking this lane was blocked due to the buses.

Bad driving.!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00719201107231253.jpg  

Old 23rd July 2011, 19:30   #2601
Senior - BHPian

Came across a bad rider today evening, real bad stuff and dangerous too. Two boys in an FZ riding like hell. The photos below have not fully caught the extent of the real one I saw. Take a look and assess for yourselves the risk involved. It all came to an end with another biker giving them a dressing down.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-4.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-5.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-6.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-7.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-8.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-9.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-10.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-11.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-12.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-13.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-15.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-16.jpg  

Old 23rd July 2011, 20:48   #2602
BHPian

That pic where the nearly crashed into the yellow bus is just .

Me and my college mates ride really fast too. Burt we don't take risks. And no helmet either!!
There's something really fun going in a gang of 12-15 bikers through some scenic place.

By the way which road is this? looks really smooth throughout.
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:01   #2603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
That pic where the nearly crashed into the yellow bus is just .

By the way which road is this? looks really smooth throughout.
As I said earlier, the photos did not catch the risks taken and the near misses. He was driving crazily weaving in and out and after a burst of overtaking spree would slow down only to start the binge again. After overtaking the bloke would turn and look back. Thank God, they survived rather lived for another day.

The happy part was he was fired by the two persons seen in the last picture.

The road is Thalayolaparambu- Vaikom stretch of the Kottayam Ernakulam route recently completed as part of the Kerala State Transportation Project. You can come across lot of carefree drivers in this stretch; Vaikom to Ettumanoor where the road is so smooth and inviting.

I got one more pic, a close up of them

Introspection after the reprimand, was it all needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-17.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 23rd July 2011 at 22:25.
Old 25th July 2011, 09:31   #2604
Distinguished - BHPian

@rajeev - That looks scary. The pic itself shows the extent of their rash driving. It would have been better if you had taken a video of them.
Old 25th July 2011, 09:39   #2605
BHPian

Idiots - Nothing more to say. And if they get involved i an accident with a bigger vehicle, we know who the fingers would be pointed at.

OT - This look like the road just before Poothotta, one piece of road , which has been in excellent condition for nearly 9 years now.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:23   #2606
Senior - BHPian

rajeev, if they were doing this in my place, I'm sure they would've met with an "accident" for sure - not by any vehicle, but the people themselves will take care of such imbeciles who cause inconvenience to all road users.
Old 25th July 2011, 20:52   #2607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
@rajeev - That looks scary. The pic itself shows the extent of their rash driving. It would have been better if you had taken a video of them.
Exactly, a video would have been horrifying. I at that moments thought that an accident is just waiting to happen. I was a seing the 'exploits' from close range for more than 10 minutes. I was keeping a safe distance to save myself in case......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
Idiots - Nothing more to say. And if they get involved i an accident with a bigger vehicle, we know who the fingers would be pointed at.

OT - This look like the road just before Poothotta, one piece of road , which has been in excellent condition for nearly 9 years now.
The road is after Poothotta and Vaikom towards Thalayolaparmbu relaid after the last year's monsoon. Traffic is more in this stretch these days as the Puthenkavu, Kanjiramattom road is full of potholes in the last 5 to 6 kms near to Thalayolaparambu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
rajeev, if they were doing this in my place, I'm sure they would've met with an "accident" for sure - not by any vehicle, but the people themselves will take care of such imbeciles who cause inconvenience to all road users.
Guys like them deserve the thrashings at least from their parents. He may still be in his teens and the parents have gifted him an FZ, a bike to perform.

Last edited by rajeev k : 25th July 2011 at 21:03. Reason: correction
Old 26th July 2011, 14:07   #2608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Exactly, a video would have been horrifying. I at that moments thought that an accident is just waiting to happen. I was a seing the 'exploits' from close range for more than 10 minutes. I was keeping a safe distance to save myself in case......

Did you take all those pics while driving?

I mean, a pic or two is OK, but so many pics? Drive safe mate!

EDIT: Looks like it is the co-driver who took the pics. In any case, my point was that we should not risk our cars and ourselves just to capture some imbeciles doing stupid stunts on road. The other day I was trying to take a pic of a TBHP car when a vento coming in wrong direction almost ran into me. In Indian conditions, we cannot just trust only our instincts. At least for me, I cannot take a picture and drive the car safely simultaneously.

Last edited by anilisanil : 26th July 2011 at 14:11.
Old 26th July 2011, 16:11   #2609
Senior - BHPian

In the third pic from last, it seems you are too on the wrong part of the road, trying to overtake them on a no overtaking zone! It is good to picture such rule breakers but in that anxiety we should not end up being pictured by the one behind us and end up in this/accidents in india thread. Drive safe.
Old 26th July 2011, 16:42   #2610
Mik
BHPian

Ok. This is bad.
I saw a team-bhp stickered car(White Swift -- reg number not being revealed) weaving like crazy in and out of traffic (no indicators etc.. just mad point and shoot) near ITO flyover yesterday.

@above: Nobody is wearing a helmet, even the one who is scolding them !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks