Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 17:22   #2611
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

^^^Helmet-enforcement is kinda lax in Kerala - almost no one wears it in our town (mavelikara), while in cities I guess it is a little better since cops occasionally fine those riding without helmet.

Chennai is much better that way - close to 90% wear helmets.
Old 26th July 2011, 21:55   #2612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Did you take all those pics while driving? I mean, a pic or two is OK, but so many pics? Drive safe mate!
EDIT: Looks like it is the co-driver who took the pics. In any case, my point was that we should not risk our cars and ourselves
The answer is in your post itself.Look at all those pictures. The left A pillar or the left wiper is visible in almost all those pictures. I was behind the wheel and the co-driver went on clicking, though some pertinent ones were missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
In the third pic from last, it seems you are too on the wrong part of the road, trying to overtake them on a no overtaking zone! It is good to picture such rule breakers but in that anxiety we should not end up being pictured by the one behind us and end up in this/accidents in india thread. Drive safe.
Take a look at the third picture from last again. See those broken white lane markers where one can trespass into the other lane, legally, for overtaking. That was not a no overtaking zone. Look further up, where you can see the overtaking prohibited signage beyond which is the no overtaking zone where the lane line is continuous. No vehicles in the opposite direction also. Further I was not trying to overtake the imbeciles, but was overtaking another slow biker. Therefore I was not violating any rule here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Ok. This is bad.
@above: Nobody is wearing a helmet, even the one who is scolding them !
People abide law only if khaki dress is present. many bikers hang the helmet in the handle bar.

Anilsanil, Alphakilo - Your drive safe advice is well taken. The last thing I ever want is to get into this or accidents in India thread.

Last edited by rajeev k : 26th July 2011 at 22:09.
Old 26th July 2011, 22:03   #2613
Senior - BHPian

@rajeev sir,

You have brought out a good point. The broken markers, how many of the road users in India, know the different markers and their meanings? Which RTO exams asks for these? They just ask for road signs and I guess except for very very few and literate(road manners and road rules) driving instructors, rest have no idea what the broken lines/full lines mean.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 10:43   #2614
BHPian

Came across an impolite , if not bad driver today morning. I was to drop a friend of mine to Manipal hospital Bangalore on my way to office.

The road here is wide enough for 4 lanes and traffic police themselves have been asking vehicles to form 4 lanes - 2 to proceed straight and 2 for u-turn.

Though Initially left lane was meant for Manipal Hospital entry and right for U-turn, now-a-days its common for vehicles to use the left lane and cut right for U-turn. Since this is a practice most drivers accomodate this as well.

I was on the left lane , as I had to turn towards Manipal, There was this Red Ritz number KA-XX - ML -4472 (if i am not mistaken) on the right lane. There was a BMTC Bus to my left. Without any indication , the Ritz guy started moving left, pushing me towards the bus. the moment I slowed he cut straight across , I had to break hoping the guy behind has decent braking as well. Now the guy was infront of me and to my astonishment proudly displaying a "Team BHP sticker" on his license plate

Now I though he might want to go straight from the signal so the desperate move. How wrong I was !!! he takes the U-turn again cutting infront of the vehicle on the left.

Illustrations (sorry for the quality) would describe it better

Buddy , if you are reading this - I could have blocked you , or picked a fight with you. I didnt do it because thats not my way, nor do I have time for that. But next time you do this to someone else , you may end up with more than a dent on your car. And I hope the minute or two you saved causing inconvenience to others are worth it.

Humble request , if you intend not to follow driving etiquettes, please remove the Team-BHP sticker from the vehicle
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-pic1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-pic2.jpg  

Last edited by JoeMichael : 27th July 2011 at 10:52.
JoeMichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 13:06   #2615
BHPian

Hi Joe
Seems that guy was heading into the ICU of the hospital and may be you should have helped him be there
Asides guys we should run a poll on whether the T-BHP sticker should be strictly for members only and if yes a distinct one from the common.

Cheers
Prasad
Old 27th July 2011, 13:09   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
@rajeev sir,

You have brought out a good point. The broken markers, how many of the road users in India, know the different markers and their meanings? Which RTO exams asks for these? They just ask for road signs and I guess except for very very few and literate(road manners and road rules) driving instructors, rest have no idea what the broken lines/full lines mean.
@rajeev
that is really good to know since I came to know of the same only upon reading driving manuals of my brother whilst he was in the Gulf. Seen many highway riders stare when this marking is used for what it is supposed to be meant for.
Old 27th July 2011, 13:18   #2617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi Joe
Seems that guy was heading into the ICU of the hospital and may be you should have helped him be there
Asides guys we should run a poll on whether the T-BHP sticker should be strictly for members only and if yes a distinct one from the common.

Cheers
Prasad

I second your thought. I believe we should bring in restrictions in shelling out TBHP stickers, otherwise might end up bringing a bad publicity to otherwise a community of genuine road users.

OT But then how do we classify genuine and duplicate TBHP members? What if one TBHP member gives his sticker on a good will to his friend and if he is a road menace then? This is not a "Army" sticker which can be restricted to officials only! As such the morality should come from within not just because we have stuck some sticker in our car!
Old 27th July 2011, 16:40   #2618
BHPian

Well enough of spotting. Its time someone did something about it, no? Delhi Police did it. Although, not sure if this is an one off incident, atleast this is the first time I heard of anyone being fined for driving with high beam on within city limits.

Here is the article.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:58   #2619
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post

Though Initially left lane was meant for Manipal Hospital entry and right for U-turn, now-a-days its common for vehicles to use the left lane and cut right for U-turn. Since this is a practice most drivers accomodate this as well.

I was on the left lane , as I had to turn towards Manipal, There was this Red Ritz number KA-XX - ML -4472 (if i am not mistaken) on the right lane. There was a BMTC Bus to my left. Without any indication , the Ritz guy started moving left, pushing me towards the bus. the moment I slowed he cut straight across , I had to break hoping the guy behind has decent braking as well. Now the guy was infront of me and to my astonishment proudly displaying a "Team BHP sticker" on his license plate

Now I though he might want to go straight from the signal so the desperate move. How wrong I was !!! he takes the U-turn again cutting infront of the vehicle on the left.
Welcome to my World.

I have talked about this particular U-Turn several times on this forum. The only way to counter it is hog the entire lane, even though there is space for two vehicles. The thing is, I'm very possessive about my car and I hate it when vehicles come too close, so I ensure that there is always some space around my car.

AT the end of the U-Turn, it's very hard for the vehicle on the outer-side of the turn to take a U-Turn unless he cuts you off rashly. Perhaps they should either widen that gap for two vehicles to turn comfortably, or narrow it down only for one vehicle to go by.

Auto-rickshaws often break into the lane and cut me off when I'm in the midst of my U-turn. I've had an incident with an idiot two-wheeler, who hurled offensive gestures at me, just because I honked in a prolonged manner. The guy was on my left when I was taking the U-turn and while in the middle of my turn, he cuts me off wildly and if I hadn't come to a complete halt, the left side of my bumper would have kissed him for sure, and then I'd be in trouble because the dimwit on the yellow Apache was careless.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th July 2011 at 17:00.
Old 27th July 2011, 20:52   #2620
Distinguished - BHPian

Joe Michael- nice illustration mate .

I find it really silly that the red Ritz did what he did- possibly he may have been trying to wriggle out of taking the U turn altogether but realised he couldn't edge further away to go straight?

There is a U-turn just after the Wakad flyover that people headed out of Hinjewadi towards the South side of NH4 need to take. I find it appalling the way people turn here. It is a simple enough turn but some smart guys try to take the inner path when a slightly larger (or just more cautious) driver is taking a widish U-turn. Bikers do this a lot, but I have seen Altos and other miscellaneous vehicles also do this. It's so stupid it's not worth commenting on.
Old 29th July 2011, 15:08   #2621
BHPian

I almost got mowed down by a Santro today on the Carmelaram road. There was a steady stream of cars travelling at decent speed, and the moron wanted to get up to the head I suppose. He was overtaking on a blind curve!! I saw him the last instant and took my Bullet off the road. Had my heart in my mouth for a few minutes. These morons should be flogged.
Old 29th July 2011, 18:07   #2622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Came across a bad rider today evening, real bad stuff and dangerous too. Two boys in an FZ riding like hell. The photos below have not fully caught the extent of the real one I saw. Take a look and assess for yourselves the risk involved. It all came to an end with another biker giving them a dressing down.
That guy would do the same thing again.... dressing down would not help one bit... what he needed was a good dress-up (in bandages) after a crash....

Last edited by AvinashKeezh : 29th July 2011 at 18:13. Reason: typo
Old 29th July 2011, 22:20   #2623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh View Post
That guy would do the same thing again.... dressing down would not help one bit... what he needed was a good dress-up (in bandages) after a crash....
Exactly, he is of the breed who never learn. His father may be finding it very difficult every month to earn the EMI amount and here the bloke rules the road. What a pity. I felt pity for the pillion who wore a terrified look all along the FZ's 8 km run and the expressions of the pillion tells it all like it is.
Old 29th July 2011, 22:27   #2624
Senior - BHPian

Team, have you noticed that at many signals. People wait on the wrong side of the divider, in the line of oncoming traffic. And even if they are not waiting there initially. People will drive on thr wrong side of the divider and cut right in front of you on a turning.
To avoid these folks we sometimes have to brake suddenly or swerve to the left. Which can cause an accident. Have seen this happen a lot in Pune. And have even seen the cops turn a blind eye to this.
Its a horrible habit. Bad drivers indeed!
Old 29th July 2011, 22:33   #2625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Team, have you noticed that at many signals. People wait on the wrong side of the divider, in the line of oncoming traffic. And even if they are not waiting there initially.
Exactly. This seems to be a more bad habit on Pune-Satara road. And by the time the light turns green, more and more people are coming and stacking to the right of the road.

Wait, I will post pics of this soon... I have got quite a few of them.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 29th July 2011 at 22:34.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks