Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 21:02   #3856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit

Is it kalyan nagar? I had a lot of similar experiance around this road.
You'll find these kinda nincompoops everywhere. This is the Baiyyapanahalli road; that's the Metro station on the left.
Old 10th May 2012, 22:06   #3857
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You have a point, Sir.

But what you're saying is that his act of desperation to earn money while putting his life on the line is justified? Well, safety will ensure survival! It just goes to show that he puts daily-wages/livelihood ahead of his own safety.

Let's assume he has a family to feed. He has to make ends meet. Does that mean he's allowed to ride like this with dangerous pipes all around him just so that he can earn his money? Just think about it. If something happens to him, something untoward, he will not be able to support his family anymore.

So don't you think safety must be given priority here?

If he prioritizes wage over his life, he is just being stupid. God forbid something does happen to him, he won't be around to earn the wage anymore! But if he practices safety, he can live to fight another day and earn his wage for him and his family.

If there is one thing I've learnt, everyone is an idiot on the road. Whether they're in a BMW or on a Luna.

This man, IMO, has a choice. I'm sure he can transport this via a truck. But he probably doesn't have the financial backing to hire a truck. So he takes the short-cut. The easy way out. He carries it on his highly unstable two-wheeler and rides it through treacherous roads full of obstacles. Not only putting his own life in danger, but others' lives as well.
One needs to put oneself in that man's position, before drawing conclusions. Firstly, I doubt if the fabricator has any kind of safety awareness / training. Secondly, I doubt if he would be willing to put safety first at the cost of not being able to put food on the table.

Assuming that you were driving an empty truck, would you have offered to transport his goods for him and also counselled him about safety? I also doubt if he gives any thought about fellow road users' safety. Afterall, nobody gives a damn about him, so why should he be bothered?

How does one justify the so called educated elitist lot driving on the roads while chatting away on their mobile phones, blissfully ignorant of the fact that they are putting themselves and fellow road users at risk? These people are in a better position to be more safety conscious than this fabricator.

I am not justifying what he is doing, but then, ground realities are harsh. End of the day, it all boils down to the very common "It cannot happen to me" belief, for both the fabricator and the guy in that sleek merc, chatting away on the phone. I personally believe that the second one is more inconsiderate than the first.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 10th May 2012 at 22:10.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 22:10   #3858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI
We must blame this traffic manners of motorists to the banks who give away loans so easily that these younsters dont respect the facility.These bikers who are totally ignorant about the rules to be followed. Their episode start with the corrupt RTO giving away M.D.L.to them like icecream sticks, these guys say among themselves that if someone knows how to ride a cycle can ride a bike.
Sir very true what you are saying. Also the problem with today's youngsters is they have no humility. If you stop them on the road and try to teach them some sense, they have no respect whatsoever and immediately start flouting the same rules right in front of your eyes.

Ive seen in bangalore two guys riding a dio and hitting a senior citizens car. They started abusing that uncle who must have been above 60years of age. :shocked: if this is how they treat people older than their parents, then you can very well know what kind of upbringing they had.

I think their parents should give them a good spanking now and then and teach them how to ride safely on the road without causing problems to fellow citizens.

Further we need to cultivate track culture in them. I think only when they experience riding in the tracks then only they will be humbled enough to ride safely on the roads.

Heres to hoping for a better tomorrow.
Old 10th May 2012, 22:20   #3859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post

How does one justify the so called educated elitist lot driving on the roads while chatting away on their mobile phones, blissfully ignorant of the fact that they are putting themselves and fellow road users at risk? These people are in a better position to be more safety conscious than this fabricator.

Rajan
As far as I see it, one cannot link safety to being in a better position financially. It's just the mindset and the attitude towards life. It's the sheer lack of common sense.

I've seen people from not-so-great backgrounds doing their bit to ensure that their lives and others' lives are not at stake. At the same time, I've seen the rich and wealthy showing absolute disregard to life too.

The problem with us Indians is that we take things lightly, just as you said. We believe that taking the extra effort to be safe is too much of an effort. Every day, I see motorists take their helmets off as soon as they ride past the traffic-signal.

I see cyclists ride past a red-light on a regular basis. They believe that they're above the law. And when they're hit by a law-abiding citizen, it's the innocent who are pulled up. What happens to the cyclist? He has a choice to follow rules, but he rather try and beat the lights and jump it if he must, just so that he gets to work on time and doesn't lose money.

Foresight is lacking. People are too worried about what they might lose financially to be bothered about their own safety. And when it reaches that stage, you know there is something seriously wrong with them.
Old 10th May 2012, 22:30   #3860
BHPian

^^ Who ever said anything about rich / poor? My contention is, the fabricator is doing what he is doing because of necessity, while the other is doing whatever it is, because he couldn't care less.

My contention is that the educated elitist is in a better position to make a choice.

Rajan
Old 10th May 2012, 23:49   #3861
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My contention is, the fabricator is doing what he is doing because of necessity,
The reality could be that he is making good money --- and is too mean to spend it on his own, or anybody else's safety.

Anyway, safety is not relative. If a dangerous thing is done by a poor man, is it any safer than a dangerous thing done by a rich man? Should safety by means-tested?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 07:44   #3862
BHPian

This thread is quite good for discussing all the behavior which might brand a driver to be a "Bad Driver". Just one point to note - When people post pictures of other bad drivers, while they themselves are driving, doesn't it make the person clicking the picture a bad driver as well?

I know it's good to discuss these things here on the forum, but I don't see the need to post a picture just to prove your point. Even minute distraction while driving can be disastrous!!

If everyone follows the driving rules, there would not be any bad drivers. Before blaming others for bad driving, we must first get our own acts straight!

Stop clicking pictures while driving. Let's make the road a better place to drive.

Cheers!!
DevilsDoggie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 08:13   #3863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The reality could be that he is making good money --- and is too mean to spend it on his own, or anybody else's safety.

Anyway, safety is not relative. If a dangerous thing is done by a poor man, is it any safer than a dangerous thing done by a rich man? Should safety by means-tested?
Agreed. Safety is not relative. But I still cannot understand why we are talking about rich and poor. My POV was from aware / unaware. While it is very much possible that the fabricator is making truckloads of money, I think the opposite is also quite possible.

I am giving the benefit of doubt to the fabricator for his unsafe act - as in not being aware of the risk he his putting himself and others into. Let us take the Merc out of the equation here. How does one justify all the educated roadusers resorting to unsafe practices?

I believe that the whole process of getting a driving license must change. There is a serious lack of proper training and awareness of rules. Introduction of demerit points might also help. I am sure people who are dependent on using a motor vehicle to earn their livelyhood will surely start following rules, when they are faced with the threat of losing their license.

Of course implementation must be strict, which once again opens a can of worms about corruption. All in all, it would take a mammoth effort to build awareness amongst road users, modify rules to enforce safety and to implement these changes.

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 08:25   #3864
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I believe that the whole process of getting a driving license must change. There is a serious lack of proper training and awareness of rules. Introduction of demerit points might also help. I am sure people who are dependent on using a motor vehicle to earn their livelyhood will surely start following rules, when they are faced with the threat of losing their license.

Of course implementation must be strict, which once again opens a can of worms about corruption. All in all, it would take a mammoth effort to build awareness amongst road users, modify rules to enforce safety and to implement these changes.

Rajan
You're right.

But I also do believe that it's something that starts from home.

How often do we see a little child sitting atop the fuel-tank of a two-wheeler, while the parents tries to wiggle his way through on-coming traffic. On the wrong side of the road, no less?

The kid picks this up and believes that it's the right thing to do.

Of course, you've got exceptions there. But then again, you've got exceptions everywhere.

Something as mundane as driving/riding habit is inculcated from households. At the grass-root level.

Parents should have the sense to teach their kids the right thing. If they're taught the wrong behaviour, the kid will in all probability never learn as it's been drilled into him to do what his parents have been doing.

Making getting a license hard is one way of curbing the menace. And I firmly believe that there are cops who do their bit too. I for one, had the strictest cop on duty, on the day I had to give my drivers' test. He failed 3 guys on the spot, just because they'd stalled the car. So things are changing.

But nipping it at the bud will prove to be more crucial than ever.
Old 11th May 2012, 11:38   #3865
Senior - BHPian

I live in Hiranandani, which is a small residential area. The roads are narrow which is designed only for limited number of cars of the residents.

Now this particular road, on which I was driving is a small 2 lane road on either sides. The road leads to a signal to the main road (JVLR). Since our signal was RED, there was a small pile up of cars on our side. The other side of the road was empty as their signal was also red.

Now this 'smart' Hyundai Verna guy (chauffeur) cuts to the opposite lane and tries to shoot forward to the end of the road. But his luck runs out and the signal turns green. Not just ours but even of the oppsite lane! Now, with a dozen of cars shooting towards him, he has nowhere to go and is stuck. He cant come back to our lane as there is no gap in the divider. He tries to reverse to the start of the road but seeing his antic, another smart rick driver also followed him and is stuck right behind him.

Because of this guy, a bottleneck is formed and the cars coming from the opposite side are also affected. It results in a sort of mini jam and every car driver starts hurling some nice abuses at him. He looks clearly startled and the owner in the back seat is also visibly upset.

Funny thing is, our own lane by that time was free and had this guy sticked to his own lane, he would have beat the red light easily. I wish I could lower my windows and ridicule this fellow but because of the moving traffic, I could not !

Last edited by raj_5004 : 11th May 2012 at 11:42.
Old 11th May 2012, 11:59   #3866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I wish I could lower my windows and ridicule this fellow but because of the moving traffic, I could not !
Quiet a common sight in Bangalore, folks usually take the opposite lane to get ahead of the queue faster. Good that you did not say anything and let him alone with his misery . Hopefully he must have learn his lesson.

The other day we were at the Bellandur Lake Puliya (Small Bridge) for over an hour just because an idiot thought he could cross the single lane bridge ahead of everyone standing in the queue by taking the opposite lane.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 11th May 2012 at 12:01.
Old 14th May 2012, 23:29   #3867
Senior - BHPian

Who is at fault or bad here? The driver or the guys in a Uniform
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-fault.jpg  

Old 15th May 2012, 09:38   #3868
BHPian

I keeping seeing this Chev Beat TDCI with chrome work on the sarjapur ringroad, usually between 6:30 to 7:00 in the morning going towards ITPB via the railway gates, Graphite India and SAP.

This guy keeps his ORVM folded with dark tinted windows up early morning and keeps moving in and out of the lanes. Pushes other cars mercilessly to divider and footpath by cutting across in front of them suddenly.

He slows down when there are no vehicles behind him or in front of him and waits for others to catch up and starts racing them again. He basically wants to show off and trying to entice others into racing him.

He cut across me near marathahalli dangerously, this was not the first time and I had it, caught up with him after the railway gates to have a gentlemanly word with him. Now his ego comes into play as he can't digest that my Palio GTX is definetly quicker than him and drives in the middle of the small road without giving way even when the road was empty, even after repeated honking.

Just behind Grahpite India, in a bid to overtake the concreate truck and to lose me, he almost ran over a biker coming from the opposite direction. He splashed the rain water over the biker and the biker lost control and almost ran in the tree. Luckily just the bike skid and fell and he was alright. Biker looked shocked and was yelling at the Beat.

To the driver of the Chev Beat TDCI (though I know the number), if you are on this forum please stop driving like this. You will kill some one for your cheap thrill.

Regards
Old 15th May 2012, 10:25   #3869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Who is at fault or bad here? The driver or the guys in a Uniform
I don't know who is at fault in the picture. But I guess it's your mistake to click the picture while driving. Drive safely, drive responsibly.

Cheers!

P.S: quoting your signature "Drive safely all the while.Return home with a smile.
Don't multitask while at the wheel."

Last edited by DevilsDoggie : 15th May 2012 at 10:32.
DevilsDoggie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 14:45   #3870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I keeping seeing this Chev Beat TDCI with chrome work on the sarjapur ringroad, usually between 6:30 to 7:00 in the morning going towards ITPB via the railway gates, Graphite India and SAP............
I know whom you are talking about, I have witnessed his moronic activity a lot of times near Marathalli. Wanted to just stop him, slap him and move on, not because he is a fool, but because, I am important to my family, I dont want to pay for his foolishness on the road. But maybe we should sync up offline and stop this guy sometime and have a word with him. I want to understand the thought process of these morons, do they think that driving like this makes them Hamilton or Schumachers? What is the pride about this fact, he is free to bang his head wherever he likes, but he cannot play with the lives of other people on the road

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th February 2019 at 08:39. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks