Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 17:32   #3991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Another extremely irritating and dangerous habit is to reverse the vehicle when you miss taking an exit or service lane.
I saw this guy reversing in the Ernakulam bypass between Le Meridien and Vytilla to take a U turn point which he missed. From the distance his reverse lamp and with the flasher on. I was scared or astonished in that rain to first recognize what is down there the understood that an IDIOT was at the wheel of that car named with three capital alphabets.

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th June 2012 at 17:34.
Old 19th June 2012, 22:59   #3992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
I am glad you were alert enough to notice something backing up. And they were fortunate it was you and not some NWKRTC bus hurtling down the fast lane.
I was also fortunate enough not to have anybody at my trail. The first reaction was to switch on the hazard lights and keep constant look out for the on coming traffic. Because nowadays hazard lights are seldom used for there sole purpose.
I am amazed about people being so casual about this stuff.
coriollis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 23:17   #3993
BHPian

Does this happen to you guys?
Say you are moving in a two laned road. Just before the traffic signal, vehicles start forming 3 / 4 lanes and suddenly you see that you are the only one on the correct lane (within the lane demarcations)! And it is you that need to merge to the other incorrect lane to pass through?
Old 19th June 2012, 23:33   #3994
Distinguished - BHPian

I was just worrying that an overtaking car was a bit close when a biker drove between us!
Old 20th June 2012, 12:02   #3995
BHPian

Imagine that you have just cross tons of vehicles and reached the spot where road is wide open ahead, next moment you take a deep breath of relief and you are about to open the throttle … some notorious bike, overtakes your car from left and gives you ‘Dhaad’ sound and leaves without even bothering to look back what he has done or scratched or passed by.. You really get irritated !!
Old 20th June 2012, 17:15   #3996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1FIAT View Post
Imagine that you have just cross tons of vehicles and reached the spot where road is wide open ahead, next moment you take a deep breath of relief and you are about to open the throttle … some notorious bike, overtakes your car from left and gives you ‘Dhaad’ sound and leaves without even bothering to look back what he has done or scratched or passed by.. You really get irritated !!
Well, I was once 'Dhaad' ed by one scooter guy in exactly similar conditions. Only difference is, this guy had a somersault and a dive and a palti and wat not and had quite a few injuries. Luckily in this case, I was urged by many bikers and car drivers to move on as it was not my fault and this guy was apparently zig-zagging his way through traffic before he finally tasted the asphalt thanks to my car. But we decided to stop by and check and only when we confirmed that he could walk on all twos, we moved from there. Minor damage though to the car.

Here in hyderabad, scooters also have the notorious dictinction of being rashly driven. Especially the old 'Priya' and 'Cub' models. Most of them are driven by milkmen or some odd vendors and they are often overloaded, rickety with nil stopping and maneuvering capabilities. Not to mention, no rear view mirrors.

Its easy to spot them. And once they appear in any of my mirrors, I humbly give them full right of way.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:50   #3997
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP STICKERS are HERE! Post sightings & pics of them on your car...

Spotted a white Swift VDi KA 05 MH 1788, yesterday evening at around 16:15 on 29th Main road, BTM. I was behind this car from 29th Main till Arekere signal. Had the small url sticker at the bottom of the rear windscreen.

Whoever it is, he deserves a place in bad driver's thread. He was talking over the phone from Mantri Elite till Arekere signal and cutting across lanes while on phone and almost hit me, in the process of avoiding the man-hole near the HSBC building.
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:30   #3998
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a bad lady driver in my office complex today. This lady drives a red zen with a cloth hanger (in the name of a spoiler) and parks her car very haphazardly. I have often seen her driver very rashly. My driver calls her "MTV"!

I have tried to depict what happened today -

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-untitled.jpg

Blue car - my innova
Red car - the lady's zen
Black car - a black Innova
Yellow car - a force traveller mini bus

As you can see by the black arrows, the lanes are supposed to be one way and the cars are ideally supposed to move from left to right. But since there is no marking as such nor any "no entry" or "one way" boards, some people do drive the wrong way, albeit slowly and carefully. Also, the tempo blocks the vision of the car drivers who need to take the second right.

Now this lady abruptly cuts in front of us as shown by the red arrow, narrowly missing our car. Just when I tell my driver that she is a dangerous driver, I hear a loud bang and some smoke. This lady took the next turn without noticing another black Innova which was either coming out from the lane or just standing there. She hit the Innova head on... Then there was a few verbal accusations and the lady drove on, again parked haphazardly, got out, had a small glance at her car and furiously walked away.

Now who is at fault here -

a) the lady who was turning at high speed without being careful?
b) or the Innova driver who came from the wrong side?

But, can we say the innova driver was actually at fault as there is no sign board to indicate that this is a one way... Also, in the previous lane, the lady itself was coming from the wrong lane in that case! Also, the tempo driver is also at fault for parking his vehicle there, thus making it a blind corner. But then, if its a blind corner, the lady should have been more careful... What if there was a person standing there instead of the Innova?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 22nd June 2012 at 11:32.
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:57   #3999
Team-BHP Support

I am riding on the ORR. The section after the (non-functional)Toll Gates to the Gachibowli flyover. In this section bikes are allowed.

Its a four lane road.
I am in the second lane from the left.

A silver swift is in the second lane from the right.
Then he is behind me.
Then he is in the extreme right lane.
Then back to the second lane from right.

I move away and slow down. I wait for him to overtake me.

Passenger in the rear seat engrossed in a phone call.
Driver is driving with absolute disregard to the lanes.

I want to say something. Then I look closely at the vehicle.
The doors have been repainted.
There is rust on the chrome parts.

This vehicle has always been driven like this. They are waiting for the big one which will happen sooner rather later considering the way its driven. But will they every learn.
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:15   #4000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
All three, the third being the Force Traveller.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd June 2012 at 13:14. Reason: fixed quote tags :)
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:15   #4001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1FIAT View Post
This happened to me years ago when a guy on a Kinetic Honda scraped across the front of my Zen. I was waiting in the extreme right lane to take a right turn. This guy was in a great hurry to take a u turn so he overtook me from the left. Got a scratch on the front left, but there was hardly anything I could do except fume as he sped into a bylane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
a) the lady who was turning at high speed without being careful?
b) or the Innova driver who came from the wrong side?
Who is at fault:
If there is no board, the Zen lady driver
If there is a no parking board, the Force fellow
If there is a one way board, the black Innova as he should have waited for the tempo to move instead of overtaking from opposite lane.

But at the end of the day, one is responsible for their own car and if she was a defensive driver it is likely that the accident could have been avoided.

Last edited by selfdrive : 22nd June 2012 at 13:16.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 15:29   #4002
BHPian

Solution to solve all Stool problems!

Spotted these two at Mosque road
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image2060.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2012, 15:40   #4003
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday I went to a local restaurant with my family. The driveway has oblique parking on the left and is quite narrow otherwise, plus sometimes there are people walking towards their cars, so I was going rather carefully. This Ford Fiesta comes behind me blaring his horn and flashing his lights. I had turned into the oblique slot and was adjusting my position but this guy was in such a damned hurry I actually pulled parallel to the curb and let him pass, then parked at leisure. He pulled in tyres screaming in the slot next to mine.
After I parked, we got out and I saw that this guy had his wife and little daughter in tow and looked every bit an urban professional as anyone else. Very surprising- I had been expecting a bunch of insolent youngsters chewing gutkha. Guess bad driving is universal.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 15:43   #4004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Solution to solve all Stool problems!

Spotted these two at Mosque road
Well I think you accidentally took a spy picture of a new bike model with a roll cage being tested

Here in Pune, I have to take a right turn from Nagar road into Viman Nagar ( coming from Kharadi side ) on the way back from office. It is a large T junction with functioning lights ( well most of the time - the cops conveniently switch the lights off during their lunch time I guess ) . The Nagar road is quite broad with multiple lanes ( no lane marking btw, but enough width for 3 or more lanes ).

I usually take the right extreme lane or the one next to it to turn right, if the light is red. And once the light turns green, there is always this two wheeler or car who zips from the extreme left to take a U-turn in front of the first row! Or sometime even in between, while the traffic is in motion. I am used to those by now. However, I sometimes end up throwing up my arms in frustration after I had to brake suddenly to let these folks pass.

I one such instance the perpetrator was on a two-wheeler and his lovely daughter sitting in pillion seat was sufficiently embarrassed to see my frustration and flashed me a totally disarming smile which caused my anger to evaporate instantly.
Old 23rd June 2012, 00:51   #4005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
After I parked, we got out and I saw that this guy had his wife and little daughter in tow and looked every bit an urban professional as anyone else. Very surprising- I had been expecting a bunch of insolent youngsters chewing gutkha. Guess bad driving is universal.
This is my biggest peeve on Bangalore's roads!! I mentally forgive the ignorant auto-rickshaw driver sometimes, and ignore the hazardously driven water tanks, but the "urban professionals" driving their cars like it's a Go Karting track get my goat!! I have even seen people taking conference calls while driving the car (through the rear glass of a car I was forced to trail behind while the damned professional gestured his way through a conference call!)

There are people who buy normal (as against super/sports cars) and then compete against themselves to reach 0-100kmph between two consecutive speed breakers even if they are just a few meters apart! This, despite their so-called (engineering) education which should have taught them that it was socially as well as mathematically wrong! Not only can they get someone killed, but it is even wasteful for them! Constantly speeding up and hard braking is not getting them anywhere faster!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks