Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2012, 17:03   #4081
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
This can be seen at any signal, auto fellows cutting across or suddenly deciding they needed to go in another direction that intended. These days my temperament has adjusted to this habit quite well as I find it amusing. In fact this lane marking should be at the Bommanhalli signal as most of the traffic wanting to go towards Begur blocks even the lane going straight.
They have implemented this a couple of months back already on the Bommanahalli junction to segregate the traffic that needs to take a right towards Begur from the rest that needs to go straights.

For those who havent been to that junction, it is a very busy one for traffic that needs to cross under the BETL elevated expressway from Silkboard to electronic city.

One should note that the traffic coming from Silk Board that needs to take a right towards Begur is supposed to stop at the zebra lines just before the right turn. But NO!!!

No one will stop there. Everybody will go ahead upto half of the turn to the edge of the opposite road carrying traffic from the opposite direction. And then the traffic starts piling up. Since everybody wants to be the first to zip across when the signal turns green, nobody stands behind the first vehicle. They'll go further ahead and stand parallel to the first vehicle and so on. Soon you'll have the entire army of vehicles that threatens to block the road for people coming from Begur towards electronic city.

To solve this problem, the traffic police has installed barricades to ensure that people who want to take a right stay in that lane. However, an interesting observation is that even after being aware of the barricade, people take the left-side lane to overtake traffic and then move towards right just before the barricade starts. Result: Traffic from both the lanes gets blocks until this guy is able to place himself inside.

Sometimes I wonder all these problems are not because of lack of governance from the traffic police but the people who are actually plying these roads without any respect for rules or any consideration to the subsequent mess that their impatience creates.
Old 16th July 2012, 18:10   #4082
BHPian

while coming back from Mira Road to Thane, yesterday - Sunday (July 15), I witnessed a strange kind of traffic jam at a section which is usually empty; turned out to be an accident where a swift/dzire was waiting at a red signal and was hit from behind by a speeding linea which could not stop in time and as a result the swift's rear was on the bonat of linea now. add to it that people stopped their cars there (hence restricting the movement of traffic) and were clicking pictures.
Old 16th July 2012, 18:38   #4083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Did the MASS guys change the whole back panel or did they weld and repair it?
I am sorry, I guess, I havent got your situation correctly. How did the "Ape" scratch your left side? Had you parked your car facing the opposite direction or am I missing something?
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 19:26   #4084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
while coming back from Mira Road to Thane, yesterday - Sunday (July 15), I witnessed a strange kind of traffic jam at a section which is usually empty; turned out to be an accident where a swift/dzire was waiting at a red signal and was hit from behind by a speeding linea which could not stop in time and as a result the swift's rear was on the bonat of linea now. add to it that people stopped their cars there (hence restricting the movement of traffic) and were clicking pictures.
Sorry a bit O.T. guys.
Where did you witness this. I stay at mira road and had encountered some traffic near the S.K. stone signal but did not see any kind of accident. Wonder if it was in Mira Road?
Old 16th July 2012, 19:31   #4085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Bad drivers road the streets of Delhi/NCR day and night.
Keep an watchful eye, lest they scratch your car.
That is there everywhere in NCR but more in NOIDA I feel. I actually get irritated with the initial slowcoaches though. The attitude is I will go through anyway, who cares about the car behind me.

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2012 at 17:07. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Old 16th July 2012, 19:49   #4086
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning on Bannerghatta Road near NICE Road junction, 3 BMTC buses competing with each other on a two lane road blocking the opp traffic.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-snap3.optimized.jpg
Old 16th July 2012, 20:08   #4087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
I am sorry, I guess, I havent got your situation correctly. How did the "Ape" scratch your left side? Had you parked your car facing the opposite direction or am I missing something?
Yeah, I did park on the right side(opposite direction) of the road.

Well, the space on the left side was a 'No Parking' zone, and it was only intended to be a 5 min stop.

But in my defence, the car was parked in a way that it did not obstruct traffic movement at all, ie I had parked it on the ground off the road.
Old 16th July 2012, 21:01   #4088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Sorry a bit O.T. guys.
Where did you witness this. I stay at mira road and had encountered some traffic near the S.K. stone signal but did not see any kind of accident. Wonder if it was in Mira Road?
this was around 6:45 PM at Ghodbunder Road in Thane near Suraj Water Park. I also encountered slightly thick traffic in Mira Road during 4-6 PM, reasons unknown.

Last edited by infotech58 : 16th July 2012 at 21:03.
Old 16th July 2012, 22:01   #4089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
this was around 6:45 PM at Ghodbunder Road in Thane near Suraj Water Park. I also encountered slightly thick traffic in Mira Road during 4-6 PM, reasons unknown.
oh okay. Thanks for the info.

The reason for traffic on mira bhayendar road is the misbehaving motorists. No one follows the signals on this road and this causes clogged streets. Theres a police chowky just beside the signal of S.K. Stone and thats the signal which is jumped the most. Be it autos, 2 wheelers, transport buses or any other vehicle.

Last edited by carzone : 16th July 2012 at 22:06.
Old 17th July 2012, 13:26   #4090
BHPian

This is not just bad driving. This should figure as child abuse or torture.

The kid may be enjoying the rush , but the parents who let the kid do it should be sent for mental counseling.

Saw this near HSR layout, a couple on a bike balancing the school kid in centre. The kid is standing up , holding on to the driver's shirt. The lady had no hold on the kid. And they were so casual as they are taking a stroll in a park.

With such irresponsible parents, who needs enemies !!!

Clicked from a distance, as i was wary of going even near them . Sorry for clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img01883201207170838.jpg  

mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 14:08   #4091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
But in my defence, the car was parked in a way that it did not obstruct traffic movement at all, ie I had parked it on the ground off the road.
Sorry but I can only say that the Ape proved how wrong your calculations/assumptions were.
This thread proves day after day that how our assumptions can go gravely wrong and others can be careful from the experiences of fellow Bhpians.
I appreciate that you shared this incident as it would go long way in alerting other people.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 19:26   #4092
BHPian

This was the scene opposite Kotak Bank at Marol (not Andheri-Kurla road) this afternoon. The idiot in the mini bus moved to the opposite lane even after observing cars coming from the opposite direction and did not move left. After some time, other vehicles moved in and there was a jam because of this.

As an example of our herd mentality, other vehicles too piled up behind this bus and it took about 15 minutes to get out of this jam.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image3718043874.jpg

Attaching photos
Attached Images

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th July 2012 at 20:21.
Old 17th July 2012, 20:35   #4093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
This is not just bad driving. This should figure as child abuse or torture.

The kid may be enjoying the rush , but the parents who let the kid do it should be sent for mental counseling.
coming up the wrong side on my leftmost lane at about 50 clicks.
No headlights
One kid standing on the Activa in front of the rider
one kid standing in between the rider and pillion
no one wearing helmets
rider speaking on mobile with one hand off the handle.
all of the above.
Saw someone using the last option yesterday late evening, on the home stretch on my return commute around 830pm.

Shook my head, muttered a prayer and headed home. Hopefully so did that lot I saw.

Last edited by selfdrive : 17th July 2012 at 20:39.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 21:05   #4094
BHPian

OT: Check out this TV series called "Driver Rehab"

Youtube link
quadra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 21:54   #4095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
coming up the wrong side on my leftmost lane at about 50 clicks.
OT: sorry to nitpick, do you mean by 50kmph or at 50 mts distance? because actual meaning of "klicks" in military terminology means 1000 mts or 1 km. I hope that solves the confusion to avoid any further confusion.

U.S. Military FAQ -- How Far is a "Klick" in the Military?

Anyways, what you saw is actually quite common sight near any school zone during school hours. I hope the so called, "educated" parents, understood before anything really bad happens. By doing so they are not only spoiling their life but also the future of their children.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks