Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2014, 22:34   #6826
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

An amusing incident today.

Yahweh road I take to work is wide three lane each side, not much traffic by Indian standard. So average speed would be about 60 kmph. There is this T junction with traffic signal which few pay heed to.

An i10 has already stopped when I reached there, the signal being red for those going straight. His / her hazard light was on. I thought this must be one of those people who does not know its correct usage. However when the light turned green, he turned off the hazard light and quickly proceeded on his way.

Probably scared of being rear ended by people who can't see red.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 00:36   #6827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
An amusing incident today.

Yahweh road I take to work is wide three lane each side, not much traffic by Indian standard. So average speed would be about 60 kmph. There is this T junction with traffic signal which few pay heed to.

An i10 has already stopped when I reached there, the signal being red for those going straight. His / her hazard light was on. I thought this must be one of those people who does not know its correct usage. However when the light turned green, he turned off the hazard light and quickly proceeded on his way.

Not sure if we can call him/her a bad driver. May be a little extra cautious. I have been in that place enough times where I am tempted to jump the signal and move on as you are not really sure if the guy who is going to come next will notice you and the signal. I try to be at the left most lane in such cases just to make sure I am not in the way of someone who doesnt want to stop. If you follow the accidents thread here it would definitely make you nervous knowing how many such freak accidents happen.
Old 14th October 2014, 08:42   #6828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
An i10 has already stopped when I reached there, the signal being red for those going straight. His / her hazard light was on.....
Must agree, I do that at times when I am stopped at a red signal with no traffic around.
Who knows, the person ramming down his ride behind me, actually rams into my back !!
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 10:01   #6829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Well I can't be sure, but the guy on the innova might have been a relative to the patient inside the ambulance or he might have been guiding the ambulance to some place, sometimes ambulance drivers struggle to find address in emergency situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I agree with all your points, but its not so possible to think with such a clear logic during emergency situation. Such things should be clearly avoided no doubt
Actually he was not a pilot navigator or some relative, this Innova was behind me since the last 1 km when we could not hear any ambulance siren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Even assuming your 'relative in pilot car' theory is true, the right thing to do in such a situation is to get IN the ambulance and help with navigation.

True about what you are saying, there is no way for us public to know if you are showing the way for an ambulance and actually there is no need for pilot as an ambulance on duty can drive on the wrong way, skip traffic signals etc. If only we normal public would give way then it will be even more faster to reach the hospital or patients place.
motomaverick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 11:57   #6830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Must agree, I do that at times when I am stopped at a red signal with no traffic around.
Who knows, the person ramming down his ride behind me, actually rams into my back !!
Haha, very true. I last felt the same way when heading to the Kolkata TBHP meet at 5-30 am. The roads were deserted but the signals were working. Apart from following the law there are many policemen going to / fro their shifts so I generally exercise even more caution than normal. Nonetheless it is indeed scary waiting on an absolutely deserted road for 2 mins for a red signal while the occasional car / taxi / lorry speeds past at 80/90 kmph. I will also consider using hazard lights next time. The early morning walk takers look on bemused probably thinking I am learning to drive and have stalled my car.

Last edited by Kumar R : 14th October 2014 at 11:59.
Kumar R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 14:15   #6831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Not sure if we can call him/her a bad driver. May be a little extra cautious.
I am not calling him bad driver. He is very scared of bad drivers. That's my assumption based on my observation. He probably wants to observe all traffic rules but is acutely aware of what dangers it entails in our country.
Old 14th October 2014, 15:35   #6832
Distinguished - BHPian

I it is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
... it is indeed scary waiting on an absolutely deserted road for 2 mins for a red signal while the occasional car / taxi / lorry speeds past at 80/90 kmph. I will also consider using hazard lights next time. The early morning walk takers look on bemused probably thinking I am learning to drive and have stalled my car.
If one is to be the only one obeying the red light, then let us be lit up like christmas tree! I can't fault it. In one way, it is using hazard lights to say, "I'm stopped in front of you: I am a hazzard!" Which is what they are for.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 14:35   #6833
BHPian

Today noticed a rider on OMR, riding quite sedately and was wearing a helmet. But when I checked from the side and front I noticed the front portion of the fullface helmet resting on the forehead. A seemingly well "educated" guy was asking for trouble, in the event the helmet moves further down blocking his view. This could be fatal for him, and unwanted trouble for orther road users. Not sure whom he was trying to fool, by wearing the helmet in such a manner.
Old 16th October 2014, 15:26   #6834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Today noticed a rider on OMR, riding quite sedately and was wearing a helmet. But when I checked from the side and front I noticed the front portion of the fullface helmet resting on the forehead. A seemingly well "educated" guy was asking for trouble, in the event the helmet moves further down blocking his view. This could be fatal for him, and unwanted trouble for orther road users. Not sure whom he was trying to fool, by wearing the helmet in such a manner.
Oh... that is very common with most people here. These are the demi-gods, who think helmets are for lesser mortals and since they would not like to pay the fine, they just keep the helmet on, literally on the forehead. Technically, they are wearing a helmet and hopefully life doesn't teach them the lesson the hard way, however how else will these morons learn?

Another breed is the one which wears the helmet properly, but does not buckle the strap. How much more of an effort is that?
Old 16th October 2014, 16:14   #6835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Oh... that is very common with most people here. These are the demi-gods, who think helmets are for lesser mortals and since they would not like to pay the fine, they just keep the helmet on, literally on the forehead. Technically, they are wearing a helmet and hopefully life doesn't teach them the lesson the hard way, however how else will these morons learn?

Another breed is the one which wears the helmet properly, but does not buckle the strap. How much more of an effort is that?
I really hope they do learn their lesson, without troubling others. It doesnt just stop with these thing. In fact another rider on KTM was riding as if he was immortal, weaving through the traffic at good speed. They have all the liberty to do what they want, but not cause sufferings to others by their actions.
Old 17th October 2014, 09:57   #6836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I really hope they do learn their lesson, without troubling others. It doesnt just stop with these thing. In fact another rider on KTM was riding as if he was immortal, weaving through the traffic at good speed. They have all the liberty to do what they want, but not cause sufferings to others by their actions.
I have a newfound hatred towards all these superbikes (Suzukis, Yamahas, Hondas, KTMs) and cruiser (REs, Harleys, Triumphs) owners.

These are the ones who have Epic Ego Problems.

They can't handle or move the damn heavy thing and then ride like a boss on the fast lane and don't bother to look anywhere else or approaching vehicles from behind. They feel as if the whole world is looking at them and their bike, so will adjust.

And when you somehow manage to overtake these slow moving pigs, it hurts their ego. Then they somehow manage to speed up and come alongside and then have violent handle shakes and not able to control the bikes.
I get so scared when I look at one of these samples.
Old 17th October 2014, 11:05   #6837
BHPian

Quote:
I have a newfound hatred towards all these superbikes (Suzukis, Yamahas, Hondas, KTMs) and cruiser (REs, Harleys, Triumphs) owners.

Tell me about it.. The KTM riders also have the need for showing their speed inside the parking complex. Just the other day, a colleague of mine was almost hit by one such rider.
Old 17th October 2014, 11:20   #6838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a newfound hatred towards all these superbikes (Suzukis, Yamahas, Hondas, KTMs) and cruiser (REs, Harleys, Triumphs) owners. These are the ones who have Epic Ego Problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Tell me about it..
Hate the rider, not the bike.

These hooligans give all bikers a bad name. Just a quick skim through any Indian two wheeler forum will give you numerous examples of people who own very powerful bikes, and handle them with the appropriate responsibility.
arunphilip is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 12:35   #6839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

These hooligans give all bikers a bad name. Just a quick skim through any Indian two wheeler forum will give you numerous examples of people who own very powerful bikes, and handle them with the appropriate responsibility.
Absolutely not. I love the bike so much that I am thinking of getting one early next year.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 12:42   #6840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
My statement above was more generic.
True, it's the bikers who bring a bad name to these bikes. And to be honest, most of the superbikes on B'lore's streets are handled by newbies who just got a big sum of money from a new IT job change and suddenly got passionate about superbikes.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed