Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2017, 12:40   #9751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
This is a good example of why we should take information in news articles with truckloads of salt. Wadi and Nalwar both are in Karnataka and not in Maharashtra!!!
Gulbarga / Kalburgi district, not all that far from the MH border.
Old 10th November 2017, 12:52   #9752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Gulbarga / Kalburgi district, not all that far from the MH border.
'In' Maharashtra is totally different from 'near' Maharashtra-Karnataka Border. Especially when it is reported in a news portal.
Wadi is 102kms by road from the Border to be precise.

Coming back to the topic, I was imagining how the staff chased the engine on his bike. Then this movie scene came to my mind

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 10th November 2017 at 12:54.
Old 10th November 2017, 15:57   #9753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
This is a good example of why we should take information in news articles with truckloads of salt. Wadi and Nalwar both are in Karnataka and not in Maharashtra!!!

One noob question. It is an electric Engine they say, then couldn't they have just stopped the power supply to the overhead lines instead of clearing signals and tracks and stopping trains?
it was diesel engine as per another article. https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/train-e...-chase-1773312
We need more salt.
Vizay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 18:39   #9754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Yes, I travel regularly in the New Thippasandra main road. Things have become worse of late - too many people disregard the one-way.
My close friends parents were victims of this. They were on a bike turning onto the road when a biker came in from the wrong side prompting my friends dad to brake hard. These is a downward slope at the turning point since the side road is at a higher elevation. Both he and friends mom who was pillion fell off the bike and as a result she could not walk for about a month and had to wear a back/chest brace for quite a few months.
I know them very well and was saddened to hear what happened. Friends mom has not recovered completely yet.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 10th November 2017 at 18:41.
rajathv8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 06:15   #9755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
My close friends parents were victims of this. They were on a bike turning onto the road when a biker came in from the wrong side prompting my friends dad to brake hard. These is a downward slope at the turning point since the side road is at a higher elevation. Both he and friends mom who was pillion fell off the bike and as a result she could not walk for about a month and had to wear a back/chest brace for quite a few months.
I know them very well and was saddened to hear what happened. Friends mom has not recovered completely yet.
Very sad to hear this Traffic rule obeying people getting injured due to antics of law-breakers.
I hope she recovers to good health soon. I'll pray for her speedy recovery.
Old 11th November 2017, 10:08   #9756
Senior - BHPian

Couple of videos from my side.

1. Look at the drivers taking the wrong side to avoid traffic and take a U turn. This is at the sarjapur fire station. Most of these people are techies (guessing due to tags they wear) and I guess going towards ecospace.

2. New way of sweeping roads. Banana leafs clean the road much better !

This is the stretch going towards agara on the ORR and is known for bad drivers. See the way the bus and few cars barge into the right lane . Its a daily sight.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 11th November 2017 at 10:11.
Old 11th November 2017, 10:17   #9757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Couple of videos from my side.

This is the stretch going towards agara on the ORR and is known for bad drivers. See the way the bus and few cars barge into the right lane . Its a daily sight.
I happen to take this stretch everyday from office to home. This junction earlier had no signal and as a result no pile up of traffic below the flyover. With the new signal, it has become a daily routine with traffic piling up all the way to the Sarjapura flyover.

I agree with you, most of the buses which barge in are the BMTC Volvo buses. They should be penalised and action has to be taken. The way they squeeze in, they know that people will eventually give way because they fear he might bang into them.

Last edited by ajmat : 14th November 2017 at 13:24.
nikhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 11:11   #9758
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Recent experience at a traffic light:
Had stopped at the red light and was in the car with a friend. We had about 30+ seconds to the green light and we were chatting while I was also keeping an eye on the signal. There was a guy on a motorcycle beside my car, who had removed the helmet, kept it on the fuel tank and was immersed looking at his mobile. As soon as the light turned green, I moved ahead, but 2 Wheelers behind the motorcycle were honking to get his attention so that he moves and only then did he realise what the situation was!
My friend quickly quipped that the guy on the motorcycle wasn't at fault as he'd not received any notification on his mobile that the light had turned green
NPV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 21:46   #9759
Senior - BHPian

Today's bad driver spottings.

1. This innova cuts across me at the last instant on the hebbal flyover when I was merging on to the right lane going towards city.

2. This santro driver cuts across me at the signal. He continued to drive the same way all the way until corporation circle when I lost him in traffic. He was a middle aged guy. Alas, age doesn't deter one from being foolish!

3. This guy on bike with two kids wears no helmet, has crossed way beyond the white line and then proceeds to go right from the left.

4. This is not a bad driver but just something which I noticed. I was driving behind this i10 who slowed down on the palace ground underpass. The blinkers switched on. I thought they switch on during emergency braking (sudden brake maneuver). Isn't that so?

Old 13th November 2017, 10:00   #9760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
The blinkers switched on. I thought they switch on during emergency braking (sudden brake maneuver). Isn't that so?
This seems most used in Bangalore, may be Driving school's trend and teaching.
They might assume people do not look at brake lights (obvious from so many rear end on braking events) and decide to ensure safety by using hazard instead.

Last week, I was on BETL and an Omni in front of me put on hazards when he had to brake as there were vehicles in both lanes ahead of us. He was in center, on the line. Instead of moving side so that I can have better visibility of my lane he thought better to caution me using hazards while he might have thought of using the gaps between to get ahead

Another time, it was raining and suddenly turned little heavier, an Ertiga instead of moving on one lane and drive slowly (better decision), decided to put hazards on and drive bang center on the flyover slowly not letting me pass.
Old 13th November 2017, 10:36   #9761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Last week, I was on BETL and an Omni in front of me put on hazards when he had to brake as there were vehicles in both lanes ahead of us. He was in center, on the line. Instead of moving side so that I can have better visibility of my lane he thought better to caution me using hazards while he might have thought of using the gaps between to get ahead

Another time, it was raining and suddenly turned little heavier, an Ertiga instead of moving on one lane and drive slowly (better decision), decided to put hazards on and drive bang center on the flyover slowly not letting me pass.
Less said the better about BETL. I was a regular on that stretch until last year and it used to be scary always. The way buses and cabs weave in and out at high speeds and the water logging during rains , it scared me so much that I took the road below sometimes.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 11:42   #9762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Just like in the film Unstoppable, an electric engine of the Chennai-Mumbai train travelled for 13 kms on its own before the staff chased it on bike and stopped it.

Article
One more such - where a heritage steam engined loco of the Indian Railways that has featured in several movies suddenly started moving after it was turned on though the accelerator had not been pressed.

It broke through a shed wall and went for some further distance before jumping the tracks and derailing.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/heri...ed-off-1774470

There's a gadget called a deadman's switch which has been around for several decades (even from the steam engine era) - it is a footplate or lever that the driver has to press every few minutes or else the train will come to a stop all by itself. Doesn't the Indian Railways deploy this? Looks like the second runaway loco case in as many weeks!
Old 14th November 2017, 11:43   #9763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
I do not think there is any wrong switching the hazard lights on and drive carefully (Not high speeds) in this scenario while it is heavily raining.
Reason being, there can be water logs any place on the road and the car, to avoid going over water logs and spoil bearings, may slow down or move to left/right side without much notice.

So, it is definitely a hazardous situation and hence, switch on hazardous lights(They are meant for hazardous situations, anyways)

EDIT: I have seen several cars do this on long drives and highways while raining heavily. So, I also started this as standard practice around 3 years back

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th November 2017 at 14:07. Reason: Fixing quote tag.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 12:08   #9764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
So, it is definitely a hazardous situation and hence, switch on hazardous lights(They are meant for hazardous situations, anyways)
I thought hazard lights are supposed to be on when a vehicle is stationary/immobile. Whenever I see a vehicle with hazard lights on in rain, I always take a second to register if the vehicle is moving or stationary as I always feel that only stationary vehicles should have hazards on to indicate a puncture, breakdown etc. But punctures and breakdowns are indicated by putting a set of leaves

In rains, anyway its better to go at the slowest possible speed, so other vehicles having hazard on or off should not change the way we drive. All these are IMHO, happy to be corrected!!
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 12:12   #9765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I thought hazard lights are supposed to be on when a vehicle is stationary/immobile.
In the true sense of usage, hazard lights should be used when the vehicle is doing something exceptional than the rule or as expected by other drivers on the road.

For our roads, that would apply to 99% of drivers. So technically speaking, most of the drivers on our roads should have hazard lights on all the time. As their driving is hazardous to our health
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks