Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:07   #2416
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
You have to reach Hanle and make it your base for Umling La. Hanle itself is one of the most beautiful places of Ladakh.

Here is the link for Umling La travel: https://devilonwheels.com/plan-trip-...able-pass/amp/

Here is the Tbhp link for Umling La: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...oad-world.html (Umling La - The highest motorable road in the world)

Thank you ruzbehxyz. Hanle is definitely in the plan. I know that it is of no use to do "hurryburry" in the mountains, but was trying to save a day. Since it is 105kms from Hanle, as you have advised, will definitely stay in Hanley for the day and visit Umling La, the next day. To speak the truth, we are still contemplating on visiting Umling La, since we are three bikers, aged 45, 50 and 54, all on Royal Enfields (1985 Cast Iron, 2011 Standard UCE and a 2013 Thunderbird UCE). Have severe doubts whether the men and machines will endure the journey to Umling La. Keeping the fingers crossed. God willing...we will
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 21:05   #2417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
To speak the truth, we are still contemplating on visiting Umling La, since we are three bikers, aged 45, 50 and 54, all on Royal Enfields (1985 Cast Iron, 2011 Standard UCE and a 2013 Thunderbird UCE). Have severe doubts whether the men and machines will endure the journey to Umling La. Keeping the fingers crossed. God willing...we will
If you are going all the way upto Hanle, then Umling La is a must. The route is tarred all the way up.
Age is just a number. Work slightly on your fitness and follow the protocols for prevention of AMS. By the time you reach Hanle, you would have settled down. First 2-3 days would be tough and required for acclimatisation. In Ladakh you can’t rush and follow the timeline of google. Also no riding /driving at night unless it’s an emergency. If you have made it to Hanle without any issues then Umling La is not far. Carry enough spares, warm clothes and eatables. Read about AMS.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 10:12   #2418
BHPian

Need inputs from people who have traveled to Leh recently.

I am planning a bike trip through tour operator with my wife on 1st June this year.

Itinerary will be Srinagar - Kargil - Leh - Nubra Valley - Pangong Lake (via Shyok route) - Rezang La War Memorial - Pangong Lake - Leh (via Changla)

How are the toilet/washroom facilities for the ladies over the routes?

The hotels at the above locations where we will be staying have good facilities, but I am concerned about this when we will be travelling from one place to another.

I asked tour operator & he said not to worry, but that's his job to not let go off a sale of his tour.
Old 25th January 2023, 13:35   #2419
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, How far is Umling La from Hanle ? Is it possible to visit the pass in August / September ? Is it possible to ride from Pangong Lake to Umling La and come back to Hanle for a night stay, all in a single day ? Thanks in advance.
August & September is a good time. We were lucky enought to experience snow in September though! Pangong to Hanle is a day's drive at ease and recommend that you take it nice & slow and soak in the scenic drive. Stayover at Hanle and settle in. Hanle to Umling La & back is doable in a day at ease. Again well documented route but take it easy especially for AMS related issues.
chorispao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 11:17   #2420
KPR
BANNED

Need help/inputs:
I'm planning to do the following itinerary this May '23 exclusively for Umling La and Tso Moriri. Other parts of Leh I had covered in 2015.

D1: Chandigarh bike pickup and start ride by 9 AM and ride until Mandi/Manali
D2: Mandi/Manali – Keylong
D3: Keylong – Upshi – Chumathang
D4: Chumathang – Hanle
D5: Hanle – Umling la – Hanle
D6: Hanle – Karzok
D7: Karzok – Keylong
D8: Keylong – Manali – Mandi
D9: Mandi – Chandigarh

My queries:
1. How much time does it take to travel from Karzok to Keylong? Is it possible to do it in a day by bike? How are the road conditions until joining Leh-Manali highway?

2. Apart from few liters of petrol in bottles, can I depend upon Dhaba petrols in Sarchu, Chumathang or Hanle? I'm planning to do this in my 125cc bike that gives atleast 50kmpl.
Old 23rd February 2023, 11:37   #2421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you ruzbehxyz. Hanle is definitely in the plan.
Yes you must visit Hanle since you are riding all the way to Ladakh. It’s one of the most beautiful places in the Himalayas with a clear sky almost throughout the year. Stay at Padma guesthouse or monastery guesthouse.
Do visit the Hanle monastery. You can ride up the hill. Even if you just roam around Hanle, it’s a day we’ll spent. At Hanle you can decide about Umling La and take a call. Recently Hanle was declared as a Night sky reserve. Read this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...au-ladakh.html (Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh)

Quote:
I know that it is of no use to do "hurryburry" in the mountains, but was trying to save a day.
In the mountains you can’t save a day, unless you totally skip a place or two. In fact you should keep 2 days buffer for any Himalayan trip.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 15:22   #2422
BHPian

Guys,

Can someone please verify the below itinerary. If we have to remove some section that would be fine too. Primary aim is to have an AMS free trip - relaxed and worth going. Dont want to run around touching places.

Around June 2023 starting if all goes to plan.

Day 1 - NCR to Pathankot
Day 2 - Pathankot to Patnitop
Day 3 - Patnitop to Sonmarg
Day 4 - Sonmarg to Leh
Day 5 - Leh Local Sightseeing
Day 6 - Leh Local Sightseeing
Day 7 - Leh to Khardungla to Diskit to Hunder
Day 8 - Hunder to Shyok > Sumur > Panamik > Leh
Day 9 - Leh to Hemis Monastery > Pangong Lake > Tangste
Day 10 - Tangste > Thiksey Monastery > Leh
Day 11 - Rest day at Leh
Day 12 - Leh to Chumathang > Hanle
Day 13 - Hanle to Mahe Monastry to Tso Mori
Day 14 - Tso Moriri to Debring > Moore Plains > Sarchu
Day 15 - Sarchu to Manali
Day 16 - Manali to NCR

Last edited by ptaneja : 23rd February 2023 at 15:28.
Old 2nd March 2023, 09:46   #2423
BHPian

A quick question for travelers who have done Leh trips recently. How much feasible to do the Leh circuit in Honda Amaze in late August/early September time with 3 people onboard. The plan is to cover Delhi-Srinagar-Kargil-Leh-Turtuk-Pangong Tso-Hanle-Tso Mariri-Keylong-Delhi.
humans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:16   #2424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
A quick question for travelers who have done Leh trips recently. How much feasible to do the Leh circuit in Honda Amaze in late August/early September time with 3 people onboard. The plan is to cover Delhi-Srinagar-Kargil-Leh-Turtuk-Pangong Tso-Hanle-Tso Mariri-Keylong-Delhi.
August to September is considered the best time to visit Ladakh with any vehicle as both weather and road conditions are lenient enough. For your vehicle with 3pax, it will take you easily to places you mentioned.
Blooming Flower is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:55   #2425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
August to September is considered the best time to visit Ladakh with any vehicle as both weather and road conditions are lenient enough. For your vehicle with 3pax, it will take you easily to places you mentioned.
I already did this circuit in my Punto MultiJet in 2012, and that was one heck of a vehicle on which I had unshakable trust and it never let me down. Just a little worried about Amaze GC on those uneven roads, but your response is giving some confidence. Thanks.
humans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:57   #2426
BHPian

Quote:
We recently took a trip in Scross and found that although certain places may result in minor underbody hits, it is actually possible to navigate without much danger, even in a Honda Amaze.
raptor_diwan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:16   #2427
BHPian

Quote:
I already did this circuit in my Punto MultiJet in 2012, and that was one heck of a vehicle on which I had unshakable trust and it never let me down. Just a little worried about Amaze GC on those uneven roads, but your response is giving some confidence. Thanks.
I did the Zanskar circuit via Shinkula pass and Mt. Gonbo Rangjon in 2021 with my tiny Alto 800. It performed flawlessly. Road condition was not so great back that time. So you can keep faith with your Amaze.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-0bcb67cd644749e1984e84b0024655ad.jpeg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-f64e3dd34c9640d58006003d18fda2d9.jpeg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-9bf013d8aff047b7ab652ec0c4bbe748.jpeg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-65fa5825499647a4b1d492b8dcc21dd0.jpeg

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 2nd March 2023 at 12:21. Reason: Attachments
Blooming Flower is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 13:51   #2428
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
I did the Zanskar circuit via Shinkula pass and Mt. Gonbo Rangjon in 2021 with my tiny Alto 800. It performed flawlessly. Road condition was not so great back that time. So you can keep faith with your Amaze.
I was seeing in YT if anyone has done Zanskar by Alto here is our own Tbhpian who has done it . That's a motivation for me to take my Alto there. Great! Can you please elaborate on your trip? Like route taken, month of travel. Did you stop the car for cooling off after steep inclines? Did you switch to 13" tyres?

Last edited by KPR : 2nd March 2023 at 13:53.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 14:01   #2429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I was seeing in YT if anyone has done Zanskar by Alto here is our own Tbhpian done . That's a motivation for me to take my Alto there. Great! Can you please elaborate on your trip? Like route taken, month of travel. Did you stop the car for cooling off after steep inclines? Did you switch to 13" tyres?
Everything stock. No tyre upgrade too. Continued with stock 145/80R12 size. And it never heats up. But, you have to face severe power loss above 4000m altitude, so every take on each uphill incline should be well planned lest you burn the clutch and get stranded on the road in the most untoward situation sans any help. The power loss thingy I faced even in Gurudongmar, North Sikkim too.

Now, in 2023, the road condition of Shinkula from both sides is drastically improved, bridges are made bypassing all the mighty water-crossings, and roads are widened for easier turns. The adventure quotient is diminishing with the passage of time.

I couldn't log many of my road-trips in TL form due to paucity of time, or maybe utter laziness.

It was mid-October 2021; from 18th onwards, the roads were closed due to heavy snowfall and many stranded people were evacuated later by the army and BRO. But we didn't face that, fortunately. Routes taken was via Manali-Darcha-Shinkula-Purne-(Phugtal trek inclusive) Padum. Later Drang Drung and Suru valley were also added to the itinerary.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-1b88f660a34a438d838bab32d36b0551.jpeg

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 2nd March 2023 at 14:13.
Blooming Flower is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 16:56   #2430

Quote:
Hi! I'm planning to do the same route during the same time. My tentative start date from Delhi is September 1 and tentative return is September 15. It would be great to connect with you to discuss more about the trip and detailed itinerary!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks