Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 09:44   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Hampi road conditions anyone??

Just came back from Hampi yesterday.

After reading all the posts I avoided Chitradurga-Hospet route.I took the Bangalore-Hiriyur-Bellary-Kudthini-Daroji-Kamlapur(Hampi) route while going. Daroji has a Bear Sanctuary and a small reservior.

The road till Bellary is very good. then the Bellary-Hospet road till Kudthini was nice. From there the road was not so good. This road was flooded last year because a tank bund had broken due to heavy rains. Now they are now repairing it. they have put the stone base now for the Tar road in the coming days. Though my punto handled the road with ease, the Wagon-R had to come at a careful pace.

While coming back we came on the Hospet-Bellary road and the road is now free of potholes. Its been patched up. Only the starting stretch of 5kms Hospet still has potholes.

Bangalore-Hiriyur-Bellary-Hospet-Hampi is the best route as of now to this heritage site.
Old 27th December 2010, 14:48   #122
BANNED

If I. Had seen these posts earlier I would have saved myself a head ache and misery for my car
Old 4th January 2011, 11:39   #123
BHPian

my two bits on the stretch - Bangalore-Hiriyur-Bellary-Hospet - New Year eve 2010

All the above posts helped tremendously in our last minute decision to head to Hampi. Thanks. The travel can be broken into three stretches with the following travel times.

Bangalore - Neelamangala - Tumkur - Sira - Hiriyur (2 hours travel time)
Hiriyur - Chalekere - Ramapura - Obulapuram ( 2 hours travel time)
Bellary Bye-pass - Toranagallu - Hospet (2 hours travel time)

Bangalore - Hiriyur....very good road, elevated freeway track, very few crossings & intersections, could make excellent time...there are a few KAMAT's on this stretch on both sides of the road, closer to Bangalore than Hiriyur. Two toll booths (Neelamangala) and another (Sira??) where you pay Rs. 26/- which includes the toll for the next check point too.

Hiriyur - Chalekere - Ramapura - Obulapuram (Railway crossing in photo above)
Once again lovely road. Stopped just before Chalekere in a decent lodge & restaurant (right side of the road), decent toilet facilities, decent food....family stop...no such facility ahead. The railway crossing in the picture above is a few kilometres after obulapuram railway station...there are a few unmanned crossing before it, which are to be avoided.

Bellary Byepass - Toranagallu - Hospet
Pass Aqua fun on the right after taking the left at toll road end (Rs. 12) and then the camel ride starts....a few very good stretches....hopefully they will complete the makeover of this road quickly. Pass a power plant on the right and go through toranagallu, which has the Jindal steel plant. The route passes through the main village street which is choc-a-bloc with stopped buses, roadside shops, rubbish, animals, people et.al. Progress on this stretch of approx. 800 metres kills the average speed dramatically.

The return was on the same route and time taken was equivalent. Both the toll booths on the Hiriyur-Bangalore stretch were congested (late evening time) though there were super efficient attendants clearing up the backlog. Lost a lot of running time on this.
Old 26th January 2011, 17:46   #124
BHPian

I drove down to Hospet-Hampi over the last weekend (22-Jan-11) and has taken two different routes. While going To Hospet, I have taken the Route via Anatapur and return via chitradurga. The condition of roads is as below

Blr-Anantapur- Bellary- Hospet: Left HSR layout at 7.45 AM and reached Kamat lokaruchi after Chikkaballapur at 9.00 AM (Via Whitefield, Budigere, Devanahalli). Had breakfast at kamat and left at 10.00 AM towards Anantapur (11.15 AM). Good road with light traffic. Took the Bellary road and reached Bellary at 1.45 PM via Urvakonda. and Took a couple of breaks for 15 mins each. Average road surface with little traffic. Bellary -Hospet - Road has been patched up but with heavy traffic and reached hospet at 3.00 PM : Overall driving time of 5.15 mins

Hospet- Chitradurga- Bangalore : As recommended by GM of Royal Orchid Hotel in Hospet, we ventured out on NH13 to Chitradurga and we were pleasantly surprised as the road is in decent condition (with the patch work completed except for 20 kms). We left Hospet at 10.45 AM and reached Chitradurga at 1.00 PM. I was driving a Vitara but the road seems to be good for sedans also. Chitradurga to Bangalore was a breeze in 2.30 hrs. Overall 4.45 mins of driving time.

I would recommend taking the NH4 to chitradurga and NH13 to Hosopet as the road has become better and it is shortest of all the routes from bangalore to Hospet
Old 5th February 2011, 14:20   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post
I drove down to Hospet-Hampi over the last weekend (22-Jan-11) and has taken two different routes. While going To Hospet, I have taken the Route via Anatapur and return via chitradurga. The condition of roads is as below

Blr-Anantapur- Bellary- Hospet: Left HSR layout at 7.45 AM and reached Kamat lokaruchi after Chikkaballapur at 9.00 AM (Via Whitefield, Budigere, Devanahalli). Had breakfast at kamat and left at 10.00 AM towards Anantapur (11.15 AM). Good road with light traffic. Took the Bellary road and reached Bellary at 1.45 PM via Urvakonda. and Took a couple of breaks for 15 mins each. Average road surface with little traffic. Bellary -Hospet - Road has been patched up but with heavy traffic and reached hospet at 3.00 PM : Overall driving time of 5.15 mins

Hospet- Chitradurga- Bangalore : As recommended by GM of Royal Orchid Hotel in Hospet, we ventured out on NH13 to Chitradurga and we were pleasantly surprised as the road is in decent condition (with the patch work completed except for 20 kms). We left Hospet at 10.45 AM and reached Chitradurga at 1.00 PM. I was driving a Vitara but the road seems to be good for sedans also. Chitradurga to Bangalore was a breeze in 2.30 hrs. Overall 4.45 mins of driving time.

I would recommend taking the NH4 to chitradurga and NH13 to Hosopet as the road has become better and it is shortest of all the routes from bangalore to Hospet
Did the Chitradurga - Hospet route as per this recommendation. Till the last 40 kms, its right.but beyond!

Never never take this road. I have tripped to leh/ladakh also, and this stretch would easily rival that stretch for the worst possible roads!.

Returned to Mumbai via NH 63, to hubli, which was in good condition.

Thank god.
Old 6th February 2011, 22:05   #126
Team-BHP Support

The State Highway from Hiriyur (via Hospet) is much better.
NH13 needs some real patch work or a re-laying.
Old 19th March 2011, 09:36   #127
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys,

I'm planning to travel to Hampi (from Bangalore) tomorrow morning.

I'd like advice on the route I should take. I'd be travelling with my folks in the Corsa.
Old 19th March 2011, 10:31   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm planning to travel to Hampi (from Bangalore) tomorrow morning.

I'd like advice on the route I should take. I'd be travelling with my folks in the Corsa.
Same as mentioned above. Drive till Hiriyur on NH4. Then shift exit to the SH (would be on your right). Drive till Bellary via Chalkere. Then drive back to Hospet on 63 and then to Hampi.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:23   #129
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Amp

Folks preferred Hampi over Chikmagalur so will be off to Hampi tomorrow morning!
Old 19th March 2011, 11:55   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Thanks Amp

Folks preferred Hampi over Chikmagalur so will be off to Hampi tomorrow morning!
There are two areas to stay. One is KSTDC guest house at Hampi and the other is hotels in Hospet. If you want to splurge, there is Royal Orchid. Else you have Malligi at Hospet.

Malligi Hotel in Hospet - Luxurious Star Hotel near Hampi, Karnataka

If you stay in KSTDC, rent a cycle and hike around. Its fun. Dont forget your water bottle and caps and small towel. Its pretty hot nowadays!
Old 24th May 2011, 21:14   #131

I had been to Hampi from Bangalore in April 2011. Road was pretty good. On the return journey, we tried a "short cut" near Bellary. I'm including the google map of route we took as well as the short cut to be avoided (marked bad roads ).
Hope this helps future visitors.
We stayed at Royal Orchid Hospet, good place and very nice service. Food is good too.
Old 24th May 2011, 21:16   #132

Sorry looks like map did not get included, link below.

Bangalore to Hampi - Google Maps
Old 12th July 2011, 15:44   #133

Re: Bangalore to Hampi/ Bellary

Went to Hampi last weekend

NH4-SH19-NH63 combination is very good (7 hours , driving steady), not tried any other route. I also took the Outer ring road at Bellary, worth it ( while getting back I came the the city).
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:54   #134
BHPian

Hi I am planning to Drive to Hampi Next Week. Going through the forum I have figured out that NH4 - SH19 - NH63 is the way to go.

Any tips on homestays etc in and around Hampi that may be good.

Food stops enroute Bangalore -- Hampi ?

Thanks!!!
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:19   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandlimitedlife View Post
Hi I am planning to Drive to Hampi Next Week. Going through the forum I have figured out that NH4 - SH19 - NH63 is the way to go.

Any tips on homestays etc in and around Hampi that may be good.

Food stops enroute Bangalore -- Hampi ?

Thanks!!!
Hotel Malligi is the best Value for money in Hampi. You can also look at rural tourism accomodation provided by Kishkinda trust. Google for details. Basic accomodation, clean and hygeinic. For food the best bet is Laxmi Bhavan in Chitradurga whic has best benne Masale Dosey (butter Masal dosa). Else you have to have food at Kamats at Sira.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks