Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2012, 07:38   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries

The road from Hiriyur to Bellary is very good and doeable in 5 hours, then stick to Bellary-Hospet road, the road from Chitradurga to Hospet is a real pain to drive and time consuming. There are diversions on NH to Chitradurga because of road widening.
Old 16th July 2012, 16:16   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The road from Hiriyur to Bellary is very good and doeable in 5 hours, then stick to Bellary-Hospet road, the road from Chitradurga to Hospet is a real pain to drive and time consuming. There are diversions on NH to Chitradurga because of road widening.
Any updates on the road conditions since the above post?I am doing this stretch from Hosur and for the 1st time.

From the previous posts i understand that both chitradurga hospet and hiriyur-bellary-hospet are in good condition.Can i take both the routes each way.I am looking for a comfortable drive ...wouldnt mind +/- 20-30kms!

Thanks
Sampath
Old 16th July 2012, 20:53   #213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
From the previous posts i understand that both chitradurga hospet and hiriyur-bellary-hospet are in good condition.Can i take both the routes each way.I am looking for a comfortable drive ...wouldnt mind +/- 20-30kms!
Dont expect any hotels from Hiriyur to Bellary. At least the Chitradurga-Hospet should have some towns. You may find hotels on this road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 13:04   #214
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion is stick to Hiriyur-Bellary road via Challakere, I have travelled many few times on this stretch and there is very less traffic most of the time compared to NH13, Challakere town is the ideal stop over and has few good hotels. All road humps have been removed/relaid to ensure smooth travel.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 13:05   #215
BHPian

Drove to Hospet and back from Hosur during the weekend.Took the NICE,NH4 and NH13 on the way up.Six laning and ramp constructions goin on stretches between tumkur and chitradurga so expect diversions in some places but proper tarmac roads have been laid at diversions to ensure smooth travel.NH13 is smooth for most parts except a couple of stretches with moderate to heavy truck traffic.I would say its 60% smooth tarmac and the rest with cracks and uneven surfaces.But can maintain speeds above 70kmph easily throughout.The major hassle is at the small ghat section just before Tungabadra dam where some tunnel works are going on and it gets really chaotic mostly due to ksrtc buses and some private vehicles jumping traffic and creating a jam.It took 45 mins to get moving whereas it took 3hrs to clear when my in-laws traveled a month back.

On the way back,took Hospet-Bellary-Challakere route to join NH4 at Hiryur.The road from Hospet to just before Toranagallu is excellent with some nice curves to aid spirited driving,then the road condition spirals down to just derivable roads till Bellary bypass.It took me 1.15hrs to complete the stretch nonstop.The road from this point all the way to Hiryur is excellent with hard shoulders.But there are rumble strips and speed breakers at the entry and exit of almost all villages and sharp curves.Although most of the rumble strips have evened out,its still a major nightmare especially during nights.Taking this route during daytime is more advisable unless the driver is familiar with the road conditions.I took this route after dusk and there were many instances where the ABS came into effect everytime i spotted the strips and breakers,so you can imagine.I was able to do this 140kms odd stretch in about 2.45hrs.From Hiryur all the way to Hosur is as usual 4 lane roads.

Decent dining options are almost non existent in both NH13 & SH19(except challakere before 8pm).
The difference between both the routes is around 30 odd kms.
Can skip/save two tolls between Hiryur and Chitradurga if going through bellary

regards
Sam.k

Last edited by Sam.k : 25th July 2012 at 13:11.
Sam.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 15:24   #216
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Sam.k;2850918]

On the way back,took Hospet-Bellary-Challakere route to join NH4 at Hiryur.The road from this point all the way to Hiryur is excellent with hard shoulders.Taking this route during daytime is more advisable unless the driver is familiar with the road conditions.

Decent dining options are almost non existent in both NH13 & SH19(except challakere before 8pm).
The difference between both the routes is around 30 odd kms.

Sam thanks for updating the thread after the trip, about 4 years ago there were like 70 little mountains (road humps) from Hiriyur to Bellary, of late they have removed most of the humps and in many places have evened it out, probably if you had used the same route for to and fro journey you would have been more comfortable. One more thing I want to add is there is no point in using Bellary bypass as it will exit you with no choice of good eateries whole way. Bellary and Challakere should be ideal dining options.
Old 25th July 2012, 18:24   #217
BHPian

i am off to bellary-daroji-gangawati tomorrow morning yet again !
last time, had to go via chitradurga as had some work there.

this is the first time, i would be taking the hiriyur bellary route !
Old 2nd August 2012, 23:30   #218

Guys,
Planning Bangalore - Hampi trip next weekend. Confused over the route as there is mixed response about Bangalore-Hiriyur-Bellary-Hospet and Bangalore-Chitradurga-Hospet route. If anyone has traveled recently please suggest the best route.
I am also planning to cover Badami, Pattadakal & Aihole..suggestions on route and stay please.
Old 3rd August 2012, 05:14   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudev_2 View Post
Guys,
Planning Bangalore - Hampi trip next weekend.
I am also planning to cover Badami, Pattadakal & Aihole..suggestions on route and stay please.
I suggest stick to Bangalore-Hiriyur-Bellary-Hospet-Ilkal route, the NH13 is good after Hospet and the SH13 connecting Bellary from Hiriyur is also good.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 23:20   #220
BHPian

I will be driving to Jungle Lodges, Daroji bear sanctuary tomorrow. I plan to start at 3.30 pm from Windsor Manor, Bangalore. Pls let me know which of the options are better considering that I will have to do driving in the night also

1. Option-1: Blr-Ananthapur-Urvakonda-bellary-JLR: I normally take 2 to2.15 hrs to cover the distance unto Ananthapur. Kindly let me know the road conditions from Ananthapur to Bellary

2. Option-2 : Blr-Chitradurga-hospet-JLR : I have done this route multiple times. However was not sure abt the traffic jams nr TB dam and road condition

3: option-3 : Blr-Hiriyur-Challakere-Bellary-JLR . Never went by this road.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:29   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post
I will be driving to Jungle Lodges, Daroji bear sanctuary tomorrow. I plan to start at 3.30 pm from Windsor Manor, Bangalore. Pls let me know which of the options are better considering that I will have to do driving in the night also

1. Option-1: Blr-Ananthapur-Urvakonda-bellary-JLR: I normally take 2 to2.15 hrs to cover the distance unto Ananthapur. Kindly let me know the road conditions from Ananthapur to Bellary

2. Option-2 : Blr-Chitradurga-hospet-JLR : I have done this route multiple times. However was not sure abt the traffic jams nr TB dam and road condition

Go via Chitradurga to Hampi since you are driving at night. The road is very good through out except for traffic between Chitradurga and Hospet. Hampi to Daroji road is excellent and is only 15 KMs and well signaged. No worries at all.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:31   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post

Go via Chitradurga to Hampi since you are driving at night and is safe. The road is very good through out except for heavy traffic between Chitradurga and Hospet. Hampi to Daroji road is excellent and is only 15 KMs and well signaged. No worries at all.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 14:11   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Go via Chitradurga to Hampi since you are driving at night and is safe. The road is very good through out except for heavy traffic between Chitradurga and Hospet. Hampi to Daroji road is excellent and is only 15 KMs and well signaged. No worries at all.

Thanks Fauji. I will go Via Chitradurga and Hospet
Old 12th August 2012, 07:15   #224
BHPian

I took the Blr-Ananathapur-Urvakonda-Bellary-Hampi route as there was a traffic pile up at IISc. Started at 4.30 pm from Windsor Manor and reached Ananthapur by 7:15 after brief stops at an ATM and gas station. Reached Bellary by 9:00 pm and then reached jungle lodges by 10:30 pm as I took a wrong route. Route conditions are 4 lane excellent road till Ananthapur. good 2 lane road from Ananthapur to karntaka border (20 kms from Bellary). Not so good roads from Karnataka border to Bellary.
Old 21st August 2012, 22:01   #225
Senior - BHPian

Guys

I am planning to visit Hampi this weekend(Vijayshree resort) for a relaxing break with parents and a 4 yr old.

This is my first time to the mining belt, so have some basic queries

1. Is the ruins motorable? I dont think my parents can travel much. If it is not, then i prefer to let them relax at the resort along with my kid.
2. Is there any timings for visiting various attractions in hampi ? suppose i want to trek early morning(6-7 AM and get back by say 10AM when the usual crowd hits) would that be possible ?
3. What kind of weather can i expect now. Do we have flooding issues ? Rains ? Bangalore like weather ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks