Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2010, 21:19   #166
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

My daughter fell ill the day before the drive, so had to cancel the trip. Will be doing it mostly in Jan.

I think I will stick to going through the town, it has worked well for me in the past and as @ranarula puts it, its easier to deal with the traffice in the town...
Old 16th January 2011, 15:17   #167
BHPian

Anybody took the Chitoor bypass this month? What is the update on the road condition?
Old 16th January 2011, 18:58   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Anybody took the Chitoor bypass this month? What is the update on the road condition?
I did not take the by-pass this month, but based on what I hear, it is the same as it was before. Tarred road but uncomfortable to drive for some distance.

But still worth taking as you will find Bans the hotel in this by-pass, which is a very good place for a break.
Old 17th January 2011, 11:19   #169
BHPian

I'm travelling to Tirupathi this friday. Planning to start in the morning and reach Tirumala by the afternoon. Which is the best route to take? I will be starting from Marathahalli.

1. Marathahalli-Whitefield-Hoskote-Chittoor-Tirupathi
2. Marathahalli-Hoskote-Chintamani-Madanapalle-Tirupathi.

I will probably try both the routes so that i can update the conditions of the road when i return. But just wanted to know how long it would take along these routes if i travel within safe speeds. And how is the last known road condition and what should i be watching out for.

Also, I wanted to know how the ghat road from Alipiri to Tirumala is. My only experience of driving a ghat road was in december when i travelled to Bababudangiri. Is the road to Tirumala tougher or easier than Bababudangiri ?

I have booked accomodation for Friday night in Tirumala and will probably stay in Tirupathi on Saturday. Any good hotel recommendations for the budget traveller ?
Old 17th January 2011, 12:06   #170
BHPian

I think Route 1 will be the best option.

You should be able to reach Tirupati in 5 to 5.5 hours, under safe driving method. 4 laning is going on between KR Puram and Mulabagilu. So watch out for diversions / vehicles coming in the wrong direction. Chittoor bypass has some very rough stretches, otherwise this stretch is ok. Some people on this forum have mentioned about using the road passing through Chittoor town, but I have not explored this so far.

Alipiri to Tirumala can be covered in 30 to 45 minutes depending on the traffic. I have not travelled to Bababudangiri and hence cannot comment on the comparison. The road to travel up the hill is not very tough, while the road to come down has many hair pin bends.

Regarding accomodation, i have never stayed in Tirupati and hence cannot suggest. All my stay has been at Tirumala. Hope this helps.
Old 17th January 2011, 13:45   #171
Team-BHP Support

1. Route 1 is better.
2. If you are starting from Marathahalli, you can continue on the old Airport road, drive till Varthur lake and from there take the Varthur road to hit NH4. That way you can avoid Whitefield traffic.

Here is the link: Old Airport Road to NH4

3. As about the stay in Tirupati, I prefer staying down, as there many decent places, where you get parking. I am not sure of it at Tirumala. If you can manage that then go for it. Its not that difficult to drive. But there are many TTD buses that you need to be careful about.
Old 17th January 2011, 13:57   #172
BHPian

Thanks prabhusati and ampere.
I will take option 1 then , as it seems to be the better one. However, I might take the route 2 while returning if i feel adventurous as i have heard that the route has very little traffic.
@Ampere, I plan to take the same route that you have pointed out. I even checked out the NH207 route to Hoskote yesterday to see if that route is any good. The route was bad initially with lots of speed breakers and a few potholes, but after that, the road was a pleasure to drive with almost no traffic. However, I think Whitefield road ( SH 35 ) is better than NH207 as this road has a divider all the way till NH4 and is mostly straight.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:00   #173
BHPian

I drove there last week (Tuesday/Wednesday)
Route 1 is best. I stay in Marathahalli, and took the same route. You have just two signals till you hit NH4 in this route after Marathahalli bridge

After that, there is little construction activity up to KGF, and after that there is divided highway (expect traffic on both sides, as toll didn't start, and construction just complete) up to a few kms before Mulbagal.
After that it is a std 2 lane highway, which improves once you get into AP.

Avoid Chittor by-pass and drive through the town. Traffic a little more than my previous visits along this stretch(Chittoor-Tirupati)

Climb up the hill is not difficult. There is no separate place for security check. You need to drive through the Alipiri entrance and security check is done just at the toll gate.

Accomodation, I didnt try up hill. I drive on Tuesday afternoon, and went straight to Srinivasam complex which has rooms of both TTD and AP Tourism. (Both of them have Std and AC rooms). I had darshan of Padmavathi temple in evening, and then went to Tirumala next day.
This is once good place for accommodation based on your plans to stay if want to stay down hill. This is right next to bus stop.

If you want to reach this place directly, better avoid the chandragiri route, towards Alipiri via the zoo park. Instead head straight on by-pass and take left into the town, at the second exit I guess. The land mark here is from by-pass you get Alimelu Mangapuram temple if you take right(Driving from Bangalore). Left will take you into town to bus stop. Srinivasam complex is opp to bus stop(Any one can tell directions)

Drive safe, and have a good darshan.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:16   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
@Ampere, I plan to take the same route that you have pointed out. I even checked out the NH207 route to Hoskote yesterday to see if that route is any good. The route was bad initially with lots of speed breakers and a few potholes, but after that, the road was a pleasure to drive with almost no traffic. However, I think Whitefield road ( SH 35 ) is better than NH207 as this road has a divider all the way till NH4 and is mostly straight.
Yes 207 is really bad from that point of view. SH35 is much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
After that, there is little construction activity up to KGF, and after that there is divided highway (expect traffic on both sides, as toll didn't start, and construction just complete) up to a few kms before Mulbagal.
After that it is a std 2 lane highway, which improves once you get into AP.

Avoid Chittor by-pass and drive through the town. Traffic a little more than my previous visits along this stretch(Chittoor-Tirupati)
1. So you mean to say there are not many diversions on BLR-Kolar?
2. The reason I would suggest by-pass is for the following points:
If its afternoon by the time you hit this area, you can break at Bans the Hotel, which is on the by-pass. The place is very good with ample parking. Its worth taking the by-pass for this reason alone.

But if one is going straight, he/she can continue through the city as you suggested.

Last edited by ampere : 17th January 2011 at 14:17.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:46   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
1. So you mean to say there are not many diversions on BLR-Kolar?
There are deviations no major ones, but there is construction around KGF and Kolar(flyovers, partly completed)
Except those, you should be able to maintain speed.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:51   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
There are deviations no major ones, but there is construction around KGF and Kolar(flyovers, partly completed)
Except those, you should be able to maintain speed.
Yes sir. That I am aware of. Once I tried the Sarjapur-Baglur-Malur route as well. Was very nice and green! It landed me right below the KGF By-pass construction !
Old 17th January 2011, 14:59   #177
BHPian

Is the Chittoor bypass really that bad ? I would prefer to avoid travelling through the city unless absolutely necessary. But I also don't like to crawl at 10 kmph and being scared of my Punto's bottom getting scraped. If the road is motorable with potholes here and there, i would still prefer driving in that road rather than wading through traffic with people crossing the road and turning everywhere.

Also, if i were to visit Kanipakam on the way, is the By-pass the best way to go ?

Thanks for all the replies. It has really been very helpful.
Old 17th January 2011, 15:22   #178
Team-BHP Support

Its not that bad as per what I feel. But surely you cannot zip through.
May be you can do 40-60 and not more.
Old 17th January 2011, 15:39   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Is the Chittoor bypass really that bad ? I would prefer to avoid travelling through the city unless absolutely necessary. But I also don't like to crawl at 10 kmph and being scared of my Punto's bottom getting scraped. If the road is motorable with potholes here and there, i would still prefer driving in that road rather than wading through traffic with people crossing the road and turning everywhere.
It is exaggerated .If you go slow , you will feel it , trick is to maintain enough speed so that you glide on that . Take the by pass .And its hardly 10-20 minutes drive .

Also a warning on NH4 till kolar,mulabagilu and little bit beyond .There are plenty of diversions .And traffic comes on your way headon. on the same lane. I nearly had a miss .
I will definitely not travel on this road at night .Even if the diversion ends ,trucks ,sumos and bikers continue on the same lane .Its very very scary .

Last edited by black12rr : 17th January 2011 at 15:43.
Old 20th January 2011, 13:15   #180
BHPian

All set for my journey tommorow. Here is the tentative plan so far :

Day 1: Start at around 7 AM from Marathahalli. Breakfast at Hoskote. Visit Kanipakam on the way near Chittoor, then lunch at Chittoor. Reach Tirumala and check into the room/cottage. Check out nearby temples in tirumala.

Day 2: Have booked a Kalyanam ticket which will take the entire the morning i guess. Plan to get a quick darshan in the morning using the sheegra darshan queue. After lunch, check out and get to tirupathi and check into Ramee Guestline. Then visit Srikalahasti as well as other temples nearby.

Day 3: Check out in the morning and start for Bangalore ( and visit Thalakona on the way back using the Madanapalle route ) .

Will update once i return. Any last minute advice ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks