Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2018, 10:29   #1036
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Hi Folks

I will be doing a trip to Srikalahasti temple this month end. It is a family trip with my 1.5yrs toddler. I briefly went through this thread and I find the route via Chitoor is not recommended due to heavy traffic especially due to lot of trucks and bus. Want to know whether this is still true or not.

I am planning to do the trip via below route plan. Hope the route contains hotels and safe to travel. I never been to Andhra before. If the route via Chitoor is good then I will take the Chitoor route.

Dommasandra (Bangalore) -> Kolar -> Mulbagal -> Nangali -> Palamaner -> Aragonda -> Putalapattu -> Chandragiri -> Srikalahasti temple

Last edited by amvj : 17th April 2018 at 10:46. Reason: Added Bangalore in the route
Old 17th April 2018, 10:37   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Hi Folks

I will be doing a trip to Srikalahasti temple this month end.
Last weekend I did a trip to Tirupati/Tirumala and Sri Kalahasthi. I first went to Tirupati/Tirumala and from there i went to Sri Kalahasthi. While returning back from Sri Kalahasthi, i took the regular route via Chithoor.
Roads till Karnataka border (from Bangalore i mean) is extremely good. But after that till Chithoor, road widening work is going on. You need to be extremely careful while driving, especially during night time. And from Chithoor, though there is no road widening work, traffic will be too much and most of the times you have to follow some truck(s).
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 13:19   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I am planning Bangalore to Tirupathi trip in May. I want to avoid usual Kolar - Palamner- Chittoor road due to
A. Road Constructions work going on.
B. Heavy truck Traffic
C. Potholes that appear from nowhere (Inputs from earlier recent posts in this thread)

Just wanted to check how is the route via Chintamani - Madanapalle?

Google says, just 10 mins difference between these two routes. Also, distance wise, 264 and 267 Kms. Hardly any difference.

Are the road conditions good (Comparatively) with less traffic ON Madanapalle route , Or is it the same as Kolar, Palamner, Chittoor route?
Old 17th April 2018, 13:50   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Hi,

Google says, just 10 mins difference between these two routes. Also, distance wise, 264 and 267 Kms. Hardly any difference.

Are the road conditions good (Comparatively) with less traffic ON Madanapalle route , Or is it the same as Kolar, Palamner, Chittoor route?
Google doesn't consider the current road conditions. AFAIK, Chintamani-Madanapalle route is very bad, so in current situation it is better off to stick to standard route via Kolar-Mulbagal-Chittoor despite having other problems. I assume you are driving in the day time.

-Ravi
Old 17th April 2018, 15:06   #1040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Google doesn't consider the current road conditions.
If current conditions are prevalent since a while (or weeks), Google will factor this and then estimate the times.

It receives a lot of samples from vehicles in all shapes and sizes and then comes with the average.

This is exactly the reason why google shows the color of road in amber or blue while you navigate to show that sections ahead are slower than usual or fast respectively.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 22:59   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If current conditions are prevalent since a while (or weeks), Google will factor this and then estimate the times.
If that happens, well and good. Though google maps are very good and almost 98 to 99% accurate most of the time, i do have faced issues where it shows the fastest route from distance perspective, but roads were in pathetic condition. Also, it had suggested roads that were very narrow in some of my trips. Agree its not a major/wide spread problem given its accuracy rate, but it does.

Nevertheless, gmaps is becoming almost inevitable in our life

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 23:53   #1042
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Google doesn't consider the current road conditions. AFAIK, Chintamani-Madanapalle route is very bad, so in current situation it is better off to stick to standard route via Kolar-Mulbagal-Chittoor despite having other problems. I assume you are driving in the day time.
Chintamani-Madanapalle is actually not that bad. But unless you are starting during daytime and can get into this section easily, it does not provide any significant benefit over the Kolar option. Lets stay if you stay in Yelahanka and are returning during peak Bangalore traffic time, Chintamani-Vijayapura definitely helps.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 07:26   #1043
BHPian

I have just returned from a trip to Tirumala. The 4 lane toll road from Bangalore to Karnataka / AP border is very good. From AP border till Chittoor bypass (approx 55 KM's) 4 laning work is in progress. It's better if you can cross this stretch when there's sunlight. There's a lot of truck and bus traffic. If you dive very defensively, then you can cross the stretch in about 1.5 hours in sunlight, add 30 mins more at night. Otherwise you have to constantly be on the lookout for overtaking opportunities. If you miss one, you'll not get another one for 5 more mins. You have to work your brain constantly.

From Chittoor bypass to Tirupati/Tirumala, the road is decent (approx 3 lane wide), but expect more traffic. You should be able to overtake heavy vehicles safely. There are 2 railway crossings, and they can add 10-15 mins delay each when there's a train crossing.
rvlkiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 16:12   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Is anyone aware of the road condition of the route shown below

Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries-gudiyattamchittoor-route.png
Old 6th May 2018, 01:26   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Chintamani-Madanapalle is actually not that bad. But unless you are starting during daytime and can get into this section easily, it does not provide any significant benefit over the Kolar option. Lets stay if you stay in Yelahanka and are returning during peak Bangalore traffic time, Chintamani-Vijayapura definitely helps.
I plan to travel next week and it is going to be day time drive. I am sure that I was really frustrated with Chitoor route last time and do not want to get the same taste again.

I just wanted some information about the route. I don't mind driving at reasonable speed. I just want to avoid crazy traffic. Please tell me whatever the road is very bad? Also do you think that there is any refreshment outlet on the way?

OR would you suggest any other route, may be through krishnagiri or so?

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by rki2007 : 6th May 2018 at 01:27.
Old 6th May 2018, 03:36   #1046
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Please tell me whatever the road is very bad?
It's not that bad. My folks took to this route recently and they did not complain.

Quote:
Also do you think that there is any refreshment outlet on the way?
This definitely is the biggest problem on this route. You need to fill yourself up and endure the drive. The odd tea break should be good. But I don't know of anything else.
Old 6th May 2018, 06:18   #1047
BHPian

Quote:
I plan to travel next week and it is going to be day time drive. I am sure that I was really frustrated with Chitoor route last time and do not want to get the same taste again.

I just wanted some information about the route. I don't mind driving at reasonable speed. I just want to avoid crazy traffic. Please tell me whatever the road is very bad? Also do you think that there is any refreshment outlet on the way?

Thanks in advance..
Even if you go via Krishnagiri, you will have to take a left on Hosur road and then a right to use a State Highway which connects to Palamner. Given that you still have to go via Chittoor, that is not a solution. Also, since road till Mulbagal is already a good Tool Road. The other option is through Vellore which will add a big chunk to the distance. And it still goes to Chittoor.

What was the issue with Chittor? Did you not take the bypass? Or are you referring to road works before Chittoor?

Last edited by nareshtrao : 6th May 2018 at 06:21.
Old 7th May 2018, 09:48   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance..
Mate I will be going to Tirumala next week and intend to go via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Ambur, Vellore, Chittoor by pass to Tirupati.
Old 7th May 2018, 23:50   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Hi Suresh, my BIL came back from a trip to Kalahasti, for the return journey he took Chittor-Vellore-Krishnagiri route. The road work is in progress on this stretch too, conditions not different from the Chittor-Palamner-Karnataka border route.
deehunk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 11:51   #1050
BHPian

Folks,

Completed a trip to Tirupathi last weekend.

Onward: 01/06/2018
Left home from Banashankari at 2 PM and reached my hotel Pai Viceroy Tirupathi by 8:30 PM after a short break at Mr/Mrs Idly (Food was ok, but restrooms seem to be renovated)
Overall road conditions are as mentioned by friends above. I would just like to add that I encountered heavy rains as well as heavy traffic after Nangli which made the drive in the 2 Lane section very challenging all the way until Tirupathi.

Return: 02/06/2018
Joined the Seegradarshan queue at 11:00 AM and was out by 2:30 PM. Started from Tirupathi after lunch around 4:30 PM and reached home by 11:00 PM after a dinner stop at A2B near K.R Puram.
The rains were even heavier on Saturday and I had a tough time locating the road between Chitoor and the 4-Lane section. There was heavy water-logging at 2-3 stretches on the 4-Lane as well, which really cut down my speed.

So, I would request anyone travelling to Tirupathi to avoid the drive after dark as many friends have already pointed out. More so, during rains, as negotiating the uneven 2 Lane stretches as well as the High-beams from the oncoming traffic will drain you out.

Regards
Rahulb22
rahulb22 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks