Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 14:01   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Raj and Ampere. Shall take the route via Mysore from Gundulpet. Let me do an extensive search for posts related to Nilambur route and road condition. Let me try to get a day off on Monday so that we can travel early morning and spot some wildlife on the way if lucky . Also that helps to reach Bangalore for Lunch since estimated travel time is 6 to 7 hours (rit?).
Old 8th April 2010, 14:12   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Let me do an extensive search for posts related to Nilambur route and road condition.
Also see the Guruvayoor route discussion.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:39   #1203
Senior - BHPian

What is the route to be taken from Chennai (Tambaram East / Kathipara Jn - both places are equidistant from my house) to get onto the highway to Salem?
Old 8th April 2010, 14:59   #1204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
What is the route to be taken from Chennai (Tambaram East / Kathipara Jn - both places are equidistant from my house) to get onto the highway to Salem?
From Kathipara junction, take the Porur road exit, where you hit the NH4 at Poonamallee.

Last edited by ampere : 8th April 2010 at 15:01.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:09   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
From Kathipara junction, take the Porur road exit, where you hit the NH4 at Poonamallee.
Any pointers towards the distance from Kathipara Jn till you hit NH4? Any turns/deviations to be taken in between or is it a straight road after turing towards Porur from Kathipara Jn.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:56   #1206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Any pointers towards the distance from Kathipara Jn till you hit NH4? Any turns/deviations to be taken in between or is it a straight road after turing towards Porur from Kathipara Jn.
Keep driving straight on the Porur road, without any deviations. Its about 15 Km where you hit the NH4.

Here is Google map link.

Unknown road to NH 4 - Google Maps
Old 8th April 2010, 16:10   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Also see the Guruvayoor route discussion.
Thanks Raj. I read bad roads are less than 10% now which is actually a good news.

As this is going to be my first drive via Nilambur, please share idea on the viewpoints on the way so that I can budget time and make the plan accordingly to be in right place at right time (I'm familiar with Bandipur - Gundulpet stretch since we did couple of Ooty trips via Masinagudi).

Last edited by jacs : 8th April 2010 at 16:18.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:11   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Keep driving straight on the Porur road, without any deviations. Its about 15 Km where you hit the NH4.

Here is Google map link.

Unknown road to NH 4 - Google Maps
@ampere: Thanks for that update !
Old 9th April 2010, 12:32   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As this is going to be my first drive via Nilambur, please share idea on the viewpoints on the way so that I can budget time and make the plan accordingly to be in right place at right time (I'm familiar with Bandipur - Gundulpet stretch since we did couple of Ooty trips via Masinagudi).
Guys please help with inputs regarding stops which are maximum 5 to 10KMs away from the route. So that I can utilize the whole day for a leisure trip rather than a boring return drive.
Old 9th April 2010, 13:15   #1210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys please help with inputs regarding stops which are maximum 5 to 10KMs away from the route. So that I can utilize the whole day for a leisure trip rather than a boring return drive.
I think there is a teak museum in Nilambur. I saw it on the main road. Not sure about the timings. Also if you are a rail buff, you can checkout the Nilambur railway station. (Not that it may be great, but I thought it may be worth it).

I say that because the rail runs through the ghats and there is a plan to link Nilambur to Mysure via Nanjangud.

I think quite some view points were mentioned on the Bangalore-Guruvayur thread. (Though I did not stop for many).

Also please be aware the best hotel you get on this route is Jungle lodges Pugmarks at Bandipur. Hence please time accordingly.

Last edited by ampere : 9th April 2010 at 13:22.
Old 9th April 2010, 19:06   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Which is the best route to reach Varkala from Tenkasi?

Comparatively which is better? Kilimanoor-Kallambalam route or Ayur-Paripally route?

1) Tenkasi-Thenmala-Kulathupuzha-Anchal-Ayur-Kilimanoor-Kallambalam-Varkala

2) Tenkasi-Thenmala-Kulathupuzha-Anchal-Ayur-Pallikkal-Paripally-Varkala

3) Tenkasi-Thenmala-Kulathupuzha-Anchal-Ayur-Oyur-Chathannur-Paravoor-Varkala

I will be driving from Bangalore via Madurai-Tenkasi.
Old 9th April 2010, 20:28   #1212
Senior - BHPian

I would avoid all the above routes unless you are familiar with Kerala roads or speak Malayalam, since they involve going on narrow village roads with turn offs at some places. I would prefer to come via Tenmala, Punalaur, Kottarakara and Kundara to Kollam and then take NH47 south to Kallambalam, from where I can go to Varkala. The route suggested is straightforward, there is no confusion in Kollam town - the road comes in straight to a junction just before Kollam Railway Station and then you have to turn left to the Trivandrum road (NH47).
Old 9th April 2010, 20:57   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Thanks HVK Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would avoid all the above routes unless you are familiar with Kerala roads or speak Malayalam, since they involve going on narrow village roads with turn offs at some places.
No problem in asking for directions in Malayalam (graduated from TKMCE ).

But worry is the condition of the connecting roads between MC road and NH47 at Kallambalam/Paripally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would prefer to come via Tenmala, Punalaur, Kottarakara and Kundara to Kollam and then take NH47 south to Kallambalam, from where I can go to Varkala. The route suggested is straightforward, there is no confusion in Kollam town - the road comes in straight to a junction just before Kollam Railway Station and then you have to turn left to the Trivandrum road (NH47).
From Kundara, a detour to left will skip Kollam and reach Kottiyam directly to join NH47. And after Kottiyam, a detour to right to reach Varkala via Paravoor. Or a detour to right at Paripally to reach Varkala via Ayiroor.

But I think Punalur-Kottarakkara-Kundara is highly circuitous route. I think option 3) is better than this route as the road quality there is average. But again, 3) is not direct, as compared to 1) or 2).

Any updates on the road condition for 1) or 2)?
Old 12th April 2010, 10:47   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I was planning my return trip from Kanjirappuzha to Electronic City via Nilambur and found various routes between Kumaramputhur to Nilambur.

Kumaramputhur is a Y fork and left takes to Perunthalmanna and right takes to Melattoor. But google map doesnt show complete route between Melattoor and Kumaramputhur. Any idea?
Old 12th April 2010, 11:40   #1215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi All,

I was planning my return trip from Kanjirappuzha to Electronic City via Nilambur and found various routes between Kumaramputhur to Nilambur.

Kumaramputhur is a Y fork and left takes to Perunthalmanna and right takes to Melattoor. But google map doesnt show complete route between Melattoor and Kumaramputhur. Any idea?
Go to Melattoor and drive on to Kalikavu and then onwards to Nilambur and continue. The roads are very good.
Need not go to Perinthalmanna.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks