Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 08:09   #5701
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
For taking Palani road from Dindigul, there is a deviation around 10 kms before Dindigul town which will help you skip the travel through the town. This, even though , I saw the deviation, missed to take as I was on the fast lane and couldnt stop in time. Had I taken this , would have avoided around 10 -15 kms and some traffic in town (?)

Yes Dindigul seems to have a good bypass when coming from Trichy side. I was not aware till you mentioned it. Thanks for sharing. Did it come up recently? I was looking for it quite early times and it was not there then.

As regards to the route to Alathur, I would suggest instead of taking Palani option, take the NH209 but dont drive via Palani/Udumalpet. At Odanchatram divert to Dharampuram and here take the Pollachi road. Dharapuram has a clean bypass too. This way you avoid Udumalpet. Thats one place which can get you stuck in traffic. There is no bypass for this town.
Old 20th September 2013, 16:12   #5702

I would have to drive from Thekkady to our resort in Kumarakom North during the October Dasara week. Google maps is suggesting the route through Anavilasam, Vagamon, Erattupetta and Pala.

Any guidance on how is route like road condition, things to see, places for lunch/break etc. would be useful. Also how does this route compare to road through Vandiperiyar, Kanjirapalli and Kottayam.
Old 20th September 2013, 17:35   #5703
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsatish View Post
Any guidance on how is route like road condition, things to see, places for lunch/break etc. would be useful. Also how does this route compare to road through Vandiperiyar, Kanjirapalli and Kottayam.
The route via Kanjirapally is more proper one as its a NH. But then you cross through Kottayam.
Old 21st September 2013, 20:24   #5704
BHPian

Greetings! This is my first post in this forum. In October end, planning to drive to Munnar from Bangalore. The overall plan/route is Bangalore-Munnar(Club Mahindra)-Kumarakom(Club Mahindra)-Kochi (Cherai beach Club Mahindra)-Palakkad-Guruvayoor-Coimbatore-Bangalore.

Distance to be done is aprox 1400km in about 10, 12 days (flexible). I just received a notification from Club Mahindra Munnar that the road Bodimedhu to Bodinayakanur is under repair and I should instead take Theni - Kambam - Kambammettu - Nedumkandam - Poopara - Chinnakkanal to reach the resort.

This is our first drive in to Kerala and we will be driving in our Duster. I would much appreciate inputs from fellow BHPians who have done this route (not necessarily all of it)
on what we need to watch for, en route hotels...There may be interesting places (natural, man made, cultural...) which may not always be well known. Please mention those also.

Again thanks in advance. Cheers
Old 21st September 2013, 20:34   #5705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
In October end, planning to drive to Munnar from Bangalore
Route query specific to Munnar can be posted on this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...nar-route.html . That may help you in getting specific faster reply.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 21st September 2013 at 20:36.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 20:49   #5706
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Again thanks in advance. Cheers

Bangalore-Munnar

NH7 till Dindigul, NH45 till Theni. Get off to NH49 till Chinnakanal where you have Club Mahindra. (Do note the property is at Chinnakanal which is 22km from Munnar town which is further up. So by this route you dont go via Munnar town).

- Club Mahindra-Kumarakom: Chinnakanal-Munnar-Adimali-Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha-Tirupanithura-Vaikom-Kumarakom

Kumarakom-Kochi :
Vaikom-Tirupanithura-Ernakulam

Kochi-Guruvayur:
Ernakulam-Angamaly-Trichur-Guruvayur

Guruvayur-Bangalore :

GVR-Wadakkanchery-Pazhayannur-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai-Salem-Bangalore

Are Palakkad/Coimbattore intended destinations? If not, the they can be easily skipped via Pollachi. NH47 between Trichur-Palakkad-Coimbattore is nothing good to talk about.

Last edited by ampere : 21st September 2013 at 20:51.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 21:04   #5707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Guruvayur-Bangalore :

GVR-Wadakkanchery-Pazhayannur-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai-Salem-Bangalore
I need to do a Cherai beach-Bangalore run directly. Am I correct to assume that I should do Cherai - Thrissur - Wadakkanchery to get onto this road?

Or it would be better to avoid Thrissur?

Thanks !
Old 21st September 2013, 21:15   #5708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsatish View Post
I would have to drive from Thekkady to our resort in Kumarakom North during the October Dasara week. Google maps is suggesting the route through Anavilasam, Vagamon, Erattupetta and Pala.

I took this route upto vagamon yesterday .Roads are full of potholes some too deep ,But if you drive a non low slung vehicle it will not be a problem. But should drive in 2nd-3rd.
I'm not sure on vagamon - pala ,I suspect this also will be bad given the heavy rains in high range.
Vandiperiyar -Kanjirapally is fairly good with some bad road around kanjirapally.
There are a couple of restaurant at Pambanar ,which is quiet ok.

Last edited by bullboy : 21st September 2013 at 21:17.
Old 21st September 2013, 21:17   #5709
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore-Munnar

Are Palakkad/Coimbattore intended destinations? If not, the they can be easily skipped via Pollachi. NH47 between Trichur-Palakkad-Coimbattore is nothing good to talk about.
Thanks a lot! Given the huge negative comments on Palakkad-Coimbatore road,
may be will re-think Palakkad but Coimbatore we must touch. Family obligations Cheers
Old 21st September 2013, 21:27   #5710
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by enygma View Post
I need to do a Cherai beach-Bangalore run directly. Am I correct to assume that I should do Cherai - Thrissur - Wadakkanchery to get onto this road?

Or it would be better to avoid Thrissur?

Thanks !
This is the way to get least routing through Trichur.

Route Link

Quote:
Thanks a lot! Given the huge negative comments on Palakkad-Coimbatore road,
may be will re-think Palakkad but Coimbatore we must touch. Family obligations Cheers

Then : Guruvayur-Kecheri-Wadakkancherry-Alathur-Pollachi-CBE

Last edited by ampere : 21st September 2013 at 21:30.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 00:37   #5711
BHPian

If anyone is planning to do a Blr-Tvm drive via Nagercoil, please be careful while doing the Nagercoil-Amaravila stretch of around 40-50 kms. The roads are seriously damaged at few places and can cause serious damage if unnoticed. From what I experienced/noticed, the lane/half towards Tvm is much worse compared to the lane from Tvm to Nagercoil.

I am just wishing we get a better alternate route to hit Tvm city without doing this madness of a stretch. The roads are too narrow and the traffic is just crazy except during the wee hours.
Old 24th September 2013, 10:33   #5712
BHPian

I did a Bangalore - Kothamangalam - Bangalore trip last week. I took the following route:

Onward: Bangalore- Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Bodi - Pooppara - Rajakkad - Adimali - Kothamangalam.

The road from Bobinayakkannur to Bodimettu is under construction. I traveled through this road during the morning time on a Saturday. There was no restriction and the road is not that bad. But night travel is a strict no no.

The Pooppara - Rajakkad - Adimali road also was okay. Overall I didn't face any issue w.r.t the roads

I returned via the following route

Kothamangalam - Angamali - Thrissur - Shoranur - Palakkad - Pollachi - Kangayam - Perundurai - Bangalore

The road was excellent through out.

Last edited by manojas : 24th September 2013 at 10:41.
manojas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 10:40   #5713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
The road from Bobinayakkannur to Bodimettu is under construction. I traveled through this road during the morning time on a Saturday. There was no restriction and the road is not that bad. But night travel is a strict no no.
Road widening work in Bodinayakanur-Bodimedu sector is over?
Road restrictions are no more there?
Old 24th September 2013, 10:44   #5714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Road widening work in Bodinayakanur-Bodimedu sector is over?
Road restrictions are no more there?
The work is not over. Its happening. But traffic was allowed.

A picture is equivalent to 1000 words
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-road.jpg  

Last edited by manojas : 24th September 2013 at 10:46.
manojas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 11:20   #5715
Senior - BHPian

Drove Hyd-Blr-Thrissur-Blr-Hyd over the Onam weekend.

-Onward stayed at Ibis,Hosur Road-completely avoid.Waste of time.Looks lovely from the outside,matchbox sized rooms,bathrooms that can barely fit one person without touching the walls.Bad food & overpriced.An apology of a budget Accor Hotel
-A2B Shoolagiri refugee camp was teeming as usual
-Tanked up at the A2B pump and the attendant doesnt give back 10rs balance saying no change.I was shocked,if a pump doesnt have change then nobody in the world would have.I just asked him the pump's name and manager's name and noted it down in my logbook and seeing me noting it down, mysteriously 10rs change materialised.
-Sree Saravana Bhavan Open at Krishnagiri,looked very neat and clean and airconditioned.Was too early for us.Decided to stop at Vaikuntham SB
-Salem traffic was easy.Stopped for breakfast at Vaikuntham SB.There is an ATM open now there
-Took the NH47 all the way till Avinashi Bypass and then took the left below the second/third(sorry I missed this one)flyover onto the state highway to Palladam
-Taking this road to Palladam is NOT RECCOMENDED.Reason there is a huge ROB being constructed over Palladam Railway station and there is no alternate road to pass through to the other side.There is a narrow dirt path to cross the construction area and then take a left followed by some messy turns to get back to the highway on the other side.Overall be sure to lose to 30-45minutes as there is barely space enough for one auto to pass through.For a minute I was left wondering if my Figo would make it to the other side seeing the amount of place under the flyover.
-Palladam Pollachi excellent as usual.
-At Pollachi,go straight till the end of Palladam Road,take a right and proceed towards the signal junction at dead end with the bus stand to your left.At the junction take a left onto Palakkad Road.Proceed for three kilometers till you encounter a Forest Checkpost.At the CP,take a left and keep straight for approx 2kms and the road ends on the Kollengode road.Landmark:Axis Bank ATM.Take right at the junction.Left takes you back to Pollachi via Zamin Uthukuli
-Stopped at Village County in Kollengode.Lousy place but then there are no other options
-Kollengode-Alathur nice drive.Customary chips stop at SNR.Banana chips was retailing at SNR for INR 300/kg!
-Alathur-Wadakancheri excellent drive,but plenty of Highway Patrol interceptors.I dont know the logic behind having innova cars are patrol vehicles!
-Overall Bangalore-Thrissur took us 8.5hrs

Return drive we stopped for breakfast at the brand new Sree Saravana Bhavan Classic at Sankari (this one is to your left and cannot miss it).It is approx 10kms before the Vaikuntham toll gate.Nice place,aircon,washrooms all swanky

Took the Attibele-Dommasandra-Varthur-Whitefield-Graphite India-Keys Hotel route.Varthur has become impossible to cross at any time of the day now.Unruly driving,and before anyone jumps into this saying cab drivers,I noticed every person who cut lane was an employee of some company or the other in whitefield.Sad scene,I turned off NH7 at Attibele at 1230pm and reached Keys Whitefield at 1550.90minutes at Varthur thanks to indisciplined drivers cutting lane and poking back into the respective lane.

Keys-Sai Baba Ashram-NH4 has some very bad sections,some sections look as if they have been carpet bombed!The flyover over the level crossing at SB Ashram is a joke,its so narrow,trucks try to climb the f/o and the road surface is pathetic.

NH4-Budigere-Devanahalli is excellent except for the upteen number of speedbreakers.It almost began looking like having a speed breaker in front of your shop or house is a status symbol!

Took short detour into Vignan Nagar from Whitefield via marthahalli-HAL Helicopter Division-Vignan Nagar to catch up with some old timers.Chemmannur Enclave is no more the pride of the place as it was once upon a time!Sherwood is no more what it was.The whole place was too much of a dust bowl.

Bangalore is the only city in India where I see queues in Shell Petrol Pumps and the only place in India where Shell employees are lousy,rude and arrogant.Be it Vignan Nagar,be it Hosur Road,be it Vittal Mallya road.Cut across to Shell in Pune and Hyderabad especially,no matter what the rush,you are treated like kings.Of the ones I have visited I would rate Vittal Mallya Road the best in terms of service(best is relative),while the ones at Vignan and Hosur are the pits.

Also was wonderful catching up with Bhpian NPV at DRDO complex.Ampere-next timeI got fed up driving in the city.4 hours Attibele-Keys was too much for me to handle

Going back to a true blue Bangalore BDA Complex style place after ages was nostalgic and drinking coffee from the darshini-priceless.Finally some semblance of a Bangalore that wasnt Bengaluru.

Quote:
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
good news

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 27th September 2013 at 11:23.
ranjitp1 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks