Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:28   #2026
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Back from goa last night. Did the Blore-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar route both ways.

Left whitefield at 5:15 am, breakfast at kamat around 8:30am. Reached Karwar at 12:30pm. Reached my hotel - Kenilworth Beach Resort in Utorda at 3:30pm after a nice long lunch at Karwar.

On the way back, I started off at around 11:45am, did not stop anywhere. Back home at 8:30pm.

Roads are decent all the way other than a few rough stretches before Yellapur and also the diversions between Chitradurga and Tumkur.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 3rd October 2012 at 13:32.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:49   #2027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Back from goa last night. Did the Blore-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar route both ways.

Left whitefield at 5:15 am, breakfast at kamat around 8:30am. Reached Karwar at 12:30pm. Reached my hotel - Kenilworth Beach Resort in Utorda at 3:30pm after a nice long lunch at Karwar.

On the way back, I started off at around 11:45am, did not stop anywhere. Back home at 8:30pm.

Roads are decent all the way other than a few rough stretches before Yellapur and also the diversions between Chitradurga and Tumkur.
Goa - Bangalore in 8 hours 45 minutes? What was the total distance? You drove without breaks?
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:56   #2028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Goa - Bangalore in 8 hours 45 minutes? What was the total distance? You drove without breaks?
Just a couple of pee breaks in the middle . The distance was roughly 740km door to door. A bit longer than usual as I took the NICE-E-City-Whitefield route. It was pretty easy to cruise at 140'ish from hubli all the way to bangalore since traffic was thin because of 2nd october.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 3rd October 2012 at 14:59.
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:11   #2029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Just a couple of pee breaks in the middle . The distance was roughly 740km door to door. A bit longer than usual as I took the NICE-E-City-Whitefield route. It was pretty easy to cruise at 140'ish from hubli all the way to bangalore since traffic was thin because of 2nd october.

That is excellent timing. I was cruising around 110 KM/h from Hubli and my driving time was around 10.5 hours.
Old 4th October 2012, 11:49   #2030
BHPian

Hi BHPians, need your inputs, and this is not about the route.

I have taken ownership of a new Honda City on the 26th of Sep. While I have got the 'tax paid' challan, and the number plate, I am yet to get the Karnataka RTO smart card, which apparently will take 3 weeks to come home.

Now, on 14th Oct, we are driving down to Goa - Hubli, Yellapur, Karwar, Baga and it's going to be touch and go with regard to the smart card. I am of course trying to pull strings to get it earlier, but just in case is it going to be a big issue at the state border if I don't have the smart card?

Your advise will help.
Old 4th October 2012, 12:53   #2031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Hi BHPians, need your inputs, and this is not about the route.

I have taken ownership of a new Honda City on the 26th of Sep. While I have got the 'tax paid' challan, and the number plate, I am yet to get the Karnataka RTO smart card, which apparently will take 3 weeks to come home.

Now, on 14th Oct, we are driving down to Goa - Hubli, Yellapur, Karwar, Baga and it's going to be touch and go with regard to the smart card. I am of course trying to pull strings to get it earlier, but just in case is it going to be a big issue at the state border if I don't have the smart card?

Your advise will help.
If you have a valid Registration Certificate you can travel(be it smart card or paper).If you dont have it,then its a problem travelling.I am assuming the number that you have received is just the T/R number(Temporary Registration).with that you are not allowed to travel out of your town.The T/R as per rules is just issued for you to take the car from the showroom to home and from home to the RTO for registration(ideally as per laws it is issued so that the car can be driven from the showroom direct to the rto,but since rtos are so efficient with registrations the law has been made flexible to accept that it can be driven around the town),its just that the city traffic police do not really stick onto this rule,but crossing state borders can be a problem(ofcourse there are many who travel around with just the T/R).Also please note that the T/R is usually valid only for a month and if you do not get your original number/RC by then,then you would need to renew your T/R.

Since your query was directed specifically at this point,hence my reply.Also it would be a big problem should the car meet with some kind of accident(I am not suggesting it would)as insurance companies would insist on the original RC for processing the claim(ofcourse in India there is always a work around,but it would be ahassle).For complete peace of mind,take the car out of the town or city only after you have the permanent registration number,the original RC,the original insurance.I too was faced with the same issue of driving out my new car and I only had my T/R,Tax Paid challan and insurance copy and I went to the RTO to enquire and I was made aware of the rules by them.

The best option for you would be to get hold of the agent and get your original RC issued.Its not a major thing for them.Once the papers have reached the agent from the dealer,it is just a matter of 3 days to issue a number(assuming you are ok with any number,else it can be a long wait).The 1st day the RTO officer would take an imprint of the chassis number and the enginer number on the forms and the agent would make the necessary fee payment,followed by number issuance and the next day by evening the number would be updated in their systems and the RC card issued.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 13:16   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1

If you have a valid Registration Certificate you can travel(be it smart card or paper).If you dont have it,then its a problem travelling.I am assuming the number that you have received is just the T/R number(Temporary Registration).with that you are not allowed to travel out of your town.The T/R as per rules is just issued for you to take the car from the showroom to home and from home to the RTO for registration(ideally as per laws it is issued so that the car can be driven from the showroom direct to the rto,but since rtos are so efficient with registrations the law has been made flexible to accept that it can be driven around the town),its just that the city traffic police do not really stick onto this rule,but crossing state borders can be a problem(ofcourse there are many who travel around with just the T/R).Also please note that the T/R is usually valid only for a month and if you do not get your original number/RC by then,then you would need to renew your T/R.

Since your query was directed specifically at this point,hence my reply.Also it would be a big problem should the car meet with some kind of accident(I am not suggesting it would)as insurance companies would insist on the original RC for processing the claim(ofcourse in India there is always a work around,but it would be ahassle).For complete peace of mind,take the car out of the town or city only after you have the permanent registration number,the original RC,the original insurance.I too was faced with the same issue of driving out my new car and I only had my T/R,Tax Paid challan and insurance copy and I went to the RTO to enquire and I was made aware of the rules by them.

The best option for you would be to get hold of the agent and get your original RC issued.Its not a major thing for them.Once the papers have reached the agent from the dealer,it is just a matter of 3 days to issue a number(assuming you are ok with any number,else it can be a long wait).The 1st day the RTO officer would take an imprint of the chassis number and the enginer number on the forms and the agent would make the necessary fee payment,followed by number issuance and the next day by evening the number would be updated in their systems and the RC card issued.
Hi ranjitp1, I do have a proper number - KA 01 MJ #### and have the number plate too, so it's not a temp number. However, I haven't received the smart card or registration papers; all I have is a life time tax receipt.
Old 4th October 2012, 14:24   #2033
Senior - BHPian

Wrong thread but nothing to worry about. I drove with a tax paid receipt in a brand new car all the way to kolkata and back (4000 odd km). No one stopped or questioned me for anything.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 11:46   #2034
BHPian

North Goa - Better to take Karwar or Belgaum route ?

In spite of all the inputs on this thread it has not been clear to me if the Belgaum route is better for reaching North Goa. I know the Karwar route quite well and in fact made it in 10.5 hours to Colva 2 years back. I am heading towards Sioelim (Arpora) day after tomorrow and was wondering if to stick to the Karwar route or try Belgaum. The goal is to reach asap and not to try new or scenic routes.
Any inputs from t-b-p-ians ?

Deepak
Old 11th October 2012, 12:12   #2035
Senior - BHPian

Re: North Goa - Better to take Karwar or Belgaum route ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_misra View Post
In spite of all the inputs on this thread it has not been clear to me if the Belgaum route is better for reaching North Goa. I know the Karwar route quite well and in fact made it in 10.5 hours to Colva 2 years back. I am heading towards Sioelim (Arpora) day after tomorrow and was wondering if to stick to the Karwar route or try Belgaum. The goal is to reach asap and not to try new or scenic routes.

Deepak
If you are thinking of the Belgaum-Mollem-Londa-Ponda-Panjim route then dont bother about it,road is in tatters at many places.This is the NH4A.

As for Belgaum-Amboli-North Goa vs Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Madgaon-Panjim-Arpora:there really is nothing between the two routes.Time taken would be the same via both the routes.You could take one route into Goa and go back to BLR via the other route.You could take the Karwar route on your way in as you wouldnt have to deal with Belgaum town traffic and asking your way through and on your return you can take the Amboli-Belgaum road.
Old 11th October 2012, 12:19   #2036
BHPian

Re: North Goa - Better to take Karwar or Belgaum route ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_misra View Post

Deepak

Belgaum route is definitely better to reach North Goa. Superb NH4 all the way till Belgaum. Enter Belgaum City, go past Golf course to take Sawantwadi road. Road about 12-15km after Belgaum is is bad shape but manageable with average speed of 50kmph. Then its superb road all the way. Few bad patches around Amboli Ghats.

Taking Karwar routeto reach north Goa will delay your journey by couple of hours as you need to Negotiate traffic inside Goa traveling through many towns and cities.
dreamdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 13:57   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Thanks for the fresh update. I will be going this month for the Dassera holidays to North Goa, Bardez and was a bit confused between the Belgaum-Amboli route and the Hubli-Ankola route. Now I am clear that Ill stick to the Hubli-Ankola route.
Just curious, what was the average speed, highest speed and your mileage for the trip?.
@hrman
I am also going to Goa during the Dusshera vacation..either on 24th or 25th (as of now 25th). Planning to add one more day, subject to availability of hotel on 24th. I will be heading to Calangute. When are you travelling, just in case the dates are same for you?

Just got to know from a colleague that this route has opened now and is the shortest route to Goa.

Can somebody reconfirm ?
Old 18th October 2012, 14:13   #2038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
@hrman
I am also going to Goa during the Dusshera vacation..either on 24th or 25th (as of now 25th). Planning to add one more day, subject to availability of hotel on 24th. I will be heading to Calangute. When are you travelling, just in case the dates are same for you?

Just got to know from a colleague that this route has opened now and is the shortest route to Goa.

Can somebody reconfirm ?
The route was never fully closed down,just that it was undergoing 4 laning.Unless there are updates from someone has travelled the NH4A between Londa & Mollem in the last 2 weeks or so,it wouldnt be a great idea to take it as the road was terribly potholed in this section due to the rains and ironore trucks.
Old 18th October 2012, 14:18   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
@hrman

Can somebody reconfirm ?
I will be leaving on 21st Morning and returning on 24th night.
I have read on this thread somewhere that the Ponda route is not recommended due to the condition of the road. I plan to stick to the tried and tested Hubli-Ankola for now, unless there is a better quality route. Which route are you planning to take?
Old 18th October 2012, 19:14   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The route was never fully closed down,just that it was undergoing 4 laning.Unless there are updates from someone has travelled the NH4A between Londa & Mollem in the last 2 weeks or so,it wouldnt be a great idea to take it as the road was terribly potholed in this section due to the rains and ironore trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I will be leaving on 21st Morning and returning on 24th night.
I have read on this thread somewhere that the Ponda route is not recommended due to the condition of the road. I plan to stick to the tried and tested Hubli-Ankola for now, unless there is a better quality route. Which route are you planning to take?
I just cross checked with my colleague. He travelled last week from Dharwad to Panaji. Except a stretch of 20 kms between Ramnagar and Anmod which has a bit of pot holes, rest of the route is perfectly fine. He travelled by Indica. Apparently i found out that Kumbarawada falls on this route. IIRC, somebody was referring to this route earlier. He covered the stretch of Dharwad-Panaji in 3.5 hours with a 15 min tea break at Anmod. I think this is the shortest route so far (barring the Charla ghat which is not in good shape).

With all probability I will take this route while going and on return i will take the Karwar, Ankola, Hubli route.

Last edited by DigitalDragon : 18th October 2012 at 19:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks