Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 09:27   #706
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
Agree that starting early helps, but still fast by any means.
Drive Safe. Love and Live to Drive !
Its fast no doubt. But I think even with sedate speeds its possible. If you dont see traffic on toll booths on NH7, one can make it to Salem in 2.5 hours for 200km (its swift yes, but it also a 4-lane). Another 40 minutes to Namakkal and there on around 2 hours for Trichy via the 2-lanes.

More than high speeds I think its about the efficiency of driving consistently and timing your drive correctly to avoid excess traffic on the highway.

Last edited by ampere : 20th March 2017 at 09:34.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 09:36   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its fast no doubt. But I think even with sedate speeds its possible. If you dont see traffic on toll booths on NH7, one can make it to Salem in 2.5 hours for 200km (its swift yes, but it also a 4-lane). Another 40 minutes to Namakkal and there on around 2 hours for Trichy via the 2-lanes.
Agree with Ampere. With a 3 AM start, I could touch Attibele in about 40 mins which is almost impossible anytime later in the day. Also, I reached Salem in 2 Hrs 15 Mins and that meant I could pass the town before 6 AM which again made a lot of difference. The only real traffic I encountered was after the left turn at Karur where the sand lorries had started piling up.

I agree I was quite fast but not at the cost of safety. I generally do not do high speed when I am with family. I guess it was just that I was able to maintain around 100 Kmph most of the time.

Cheers
Rahulb22

Mod Note: Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th March 2017 at 09:58.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:56   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Agree with Ampere. With a 3 AM start, I could touch Attibele in about 40 mins which is almost impossible anytime later in the day.
The key here is the early morning start. Leaving Bangalore by 3 AM implies you would have encountered hardly any traffic and crossing Salem would have been relatively easy.

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2017 at 23:00. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 24th May 2017, 17:18   #709
BHPian

Hello Folks
I am driving from Bangalore (HSR) to Pudukottai (via Trichy).
Will start between 2-3PM.

Our ride is 2012 Fiat Linea Emotion
4 adults(including me) and 2 kids(4 and 5 year olds).

I intend to drive sedately as with family.
We intend to take a break at A2B Namakkal.

Need inputs on:
Tolls:
  1. How many tolls after Dharmapuri
  2. Fast Tag acceptance in this route
  3. Position of Fast Tags gates(extreme left or extreme right)

Which route to take
  1. via Musri
  2. via Thuraiyur
  3. via Karoor
Old 24th May 2017, 19:24   #710
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
I am driving from Bangalore (HSR) to Pudukottai (via Trichy).
Will start between 2-3PM.

Our ride is 2012 Fiat Linea Emotion
4 adults(including me) and 2 kids(4 and 5 year olds).

Tolls:all tolls on the Karur route (Bangalore-Salem-Karur on NH7/44 and then Karur-Trichy on NH 67/81) had working fastag booths when I traveled November last year.
On the other routes, no tolls between Namakkal-Trichy (once you get off NH 7 at Namakkal).

Routes:Musiri route during day time has good amount of truck traffic, same with one stretch of Karur route as well (where the road runs parallel to river cauvery). We took the Karur route onwards but escaped the peak truck traffic as we passed the place before 11am. On the return we took the Thuraiyur route (Thuraiyur itself can be bypassed by turning off about 3-4km before the town). This route had new tarmac, low traffic and almost zero trucks.

Since you're starting in the afternoon, maybe Karur route is better because you get 4 lane till there and another 25km of NH 81/67 is also 4 laned, after which it gets narrow when nearing Trichy.

You can refer my earlier post here (Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries)

Last edited by NPV : 24th May 2017 at 19:30.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 19:59   #711
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Is Trichy a must visit? I would suggest :

Musiri-Manparai-Viralimalai-Pudukottai. This will bypass Trichy totally. Basically go till Musiri and then deviate.

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 21:38   #712
BHPian

Hello All,

Planning to visit Trichy (near BHEL, Trichy). Looking to take below the route:

Hosur --> Krishnagiri --> Dharmapuri --> Salem --> Namakkal --> Thottiyam --> Musiri --> Thanjore Road - BHEL

Not sure about the road conditions. Has anyone did this route recently? Could you please update if the roads are in fare condition?

Thanks,
Sunil.
Old 29th October 2017, 12:07   #713
BHPian

I did this route second week of September and it was quite okay then. Not sure if there is any impact due to recent rains.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 12:04   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Hello All,

Planning to visit Trichy (near BHEL, Trichy). Looking to take below the route:

Hosur --> Krishnagiri --> Dharmapuri --> Salem --> Namakkal --> Thottiyam --> Musiri --> Thanjore Road - BHEL

Not sure about the road conditions. Has anyone did this route recently? Could you please update if the roads are in fare condition?

Thanks,
Sunil.
Me and my friends just did this route yesterday 28th & 29th October to complete our yearly trip to Pillayarpatti as usual. The road conditions are very good so nothing to worry or nothing to complain about. Very negligible okay type roads between Thottiyam to Musiri.

NE monsoon started and its raining now. So the road conditions could start deteriorating. Enjoy the Kaveri river running in full flow, though Kollidam is dry.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 14:25   #715
Senior - BHPian

An update on the Nammakal- Trichy toll gate.

The roads are in good condition throughout.

The Thiruvanaikaval railway over bridge is being upgraded.Have to use the Trichy bypass
gajadonga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 09:31   #716
BHPian

BHPians - Our update on the route to Trichy via Musiri and also via Karur

Date of Journey : 21-Dec(Musiri route update - Early morning start)

A friend commuted via Musiri and commented that the road conditions have degraded and the lorry traffic made it very difficult for him

Time taken to commute from Namakkal to Trichy via Musiri - 2hr 15 mins

Date of Journey : 22-Dec (Karur update - Post lunch start)

I used the above feedback and hence decided to take the Karur route instead. Am glad I chose this option - The roads were good and the drive was relaxed which was more important for me

Time taken to commute from Namakkal to Trichy via Karur - Just shy of 2 hrs

Hope my return journey will confirm that Karur could be the better option

Last edited by csateesh : 28th December 2017 at 09:35.
csateesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 11:04   #717
BHPian

Dear BHPians

Took the same route to return to BLR from Trichy.

Thanks to the early start of 6:45am was able to cover the Distance of Trichy -> Karur -> Namakkal in 1hr 45 mins.

My driving was sedate and relaxed for the entire journey (read as rarely crossed 110 km/hr).

Hope this is helpful to fellow BHPians
csateesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 17:36   #718
BHPian

Generally the route taken from Namakkal to Trichy is via Thottiyam, cross river Cauvery at Periyar bridge to reach Kuliththalai and drive straight to Trichy town. Roads are good in this route.

If one needs to travel further to Thanjavur / Kumbakonam / Velankanni, once they reach Trichy they can take the exit through Odathurai bridge which is about a kilometer from where they would hit Trichy, ie near Kalaignar Arivalayam.

Route via Musuri leads one to outside of Trichy and one need to travel into Trichy town. Moreover, this route is not toll road.

Route via Karur is round about and absolutely unnecessary. Actually the route suggested by me, which locals take regularly connects to route via Karur at Kuliththalai.
vvijayakrishnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 07:16   #719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijayakrishnan View Post
Generally the route taken from Namakkal to Trichy is via Thottiyam, cross river Cauvery at Periyar bridge to reach Kuliththalai and drive straight to Trichy town. Roads are good in this route.
There are more than one options and depends on which one people take. Many find going all the way to Karur being easier as its on better roads.

Some like Thuraiyur, while others like Musiri.

Quote:
If one needs to travel further to Thanjavur / Kumbakonam / Velankanni, once they reach Trichy they can take the exit through Odathurai bridge which is about a kilometer from where they would hit Trichy, ie near Kalaignar Arivalayam.

Route via Musuri leads one to outside of Trichy and one need to travel into Trichy town. Moreover, this route is not toll road.
This would now be a better option. Earlier if I understand correctly this bridge was not around (correct me if I am wrong please; you would know better). Since getting into the bus stand was quite messy, most here used to prefer coming in via Thuraiyur and get into GST right away. That helped easy getting into Tanjore road. But with this new bridge, the equation may have changed.

Quote:
Route via Karur is round about and absolutely unnecessary. Actually the route suggested by me, which locals take regularly connects to route via Karur at Kuliththalai.
The route may be roundabout, but I think the time still remains the same. because of good highway conditions. But then of course one has to tackle Karur-Trichy lorry traffic.
Old 23rd June 2018, 08:53   #720
BHPian

Hi, I'm visiting Srirangam next weekend. Which route would be the best?

1. Namakkal - Musiri - Gunaseelam - Thiruvanaikaval or
2. Namakkal - Kulittalai - Trichy - Srirangam
or
3. Namakkal - Karur - Kulittalai - Trichy - Srirangam

Priority 1: Smooth roads
Priority 2: Lesser traffic

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks