Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2021, 23:01   #811

Re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Thank you for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
If you are planning your trip on a Monday or Friday, you can include Siruvachur Madhurakali amman temple which is just less than 2 kms from highway.
The Madhurakali Amman is in the plans. But trying to align the days. The idea is to spend good amount of time in Brammapureeswarar temple and the nearby Kasi viswanathar temple (the Vyagrapadha temple). I might also visit an 1000 year old Perumal temple a little off Perambulur. Will update once I get back. Considering staying at Dhanalakshmi Srinivasan hotel instead of Srirangam. I initially considered taking the Trichy Tanjore highway and then heading to Ayyampettai and then Kumbakonam.

Full disclosure - My ancestral temple is to the south of Jayankondam. In Feb 2020, I drove to Jayankondam from BLR and remembered it as being decent.
I also do travel to Trichy often. The last drive to Trichy, I took the Musiri route waiting in line behind a bunch of sand trucks. Not the best drive. But this is also the first time I am travelling in a brand new car, so doing my homework better. I am trying to be bit more careful than when I am usually driving a ten year old car. Never thought I'd had to worry about things like parking in hotels and here I am calling them up to see if their parking is decent. All the responses on this forum to my route queries have been immensely helpful.

Apart from Swamimalai, I am also planning to visit the Oppiliappan temple during my stay at Indeco. If I have time I also plan to visit the Vanamutti Perumal temple, Maha pratyangara Devi temple in Ayyavadi, Nachiar Kovil, and the Kolanjiappar temple (near Vridachalam).Not sure if I can cover all this. My 10 year old might lead a mutiny in the first two days (and I am hoping its days not hours).

Quote:
On a side note, i can tell you, almost majority of people are not wearing masks in town/village sides and there is no social distancing
That I expect and have seen in other places I went to as well. Got the jabs and hope Saturn does not throw a curveball

Quote:
Have a great darshan
Thanks. I will come back and inform on the route conditions.
raikva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 00:27   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikva View Post
Thank you for the update.

I also do travel to Trichy often. The last drive to Trichy, I took the Musiri route waiting in line behind a bunch of sand trucks. Not the best drive. But this is also the first time I am travelling in a brand new car, so doing my homework better.
Yes, its a hit or miss, depending on the time you travel via Musiri route. Either way, you will end up with more traffic with buses at least and many other vehicles.
That's why i recommend Namakkal-Thuraiyur road-Kannanur-Pagalavadi-Manachanallur route which is more peaceful, stress free and almost no traffic for majority of distance. However, you have to manage with speed breakers before & after each village, which is still okay from overall driving experience.

Quote:
Apart from Swamimalai, I am also planning to visit the Oppiliappan temple during my stay at Indeco. If I have time I also plan to visit the Vanamutti Perumal temple, Maha pratyangara Devi temple in Ayyavadi, Nachiar Kovil, and the Kolanjiappar temple (near Vridachalam).Not sure if I can cover all this. My 10 year old might lead a mutiny in the first two days (and I am hoping its days not hours).
If you are going to Oppiliappan temple, you can easily cover Ayyavadi, Nachiar Koil and also Thirucherai Saranatha perumal. Nowadays, you cannot go round entire temple due to covid restrictions. You can at best spend only 10 minutes or 20 minutes max in a temple, just walk in-have darshan-walk out, barring any queue/wait timings which is negligble. So it should be easily doable to visit these 4 temples in 3 to 4 hours (half a day trip).

Vridhachalam Kolanjiappar temple is in opposite direction. So you better plan and time it when you are returning to Bangalore. If you want, you can take a slight detour for Srimushnam Boovaraghava perumal temple and then goto Vridhachalam Kolanjiappar temple. Again another 3 hours or so, if you leave in morning from Kumbakonam.

BTW, what is your new drive?

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 09:33   #813

Thanks for the suggestions. Will aim to cover it all.

Quote:
BTW, what is your new drive?
The new drive is an Innova Crysta. Moving from a stick shift to an automatic after almost 25 years (apart from the sporadic rentals and loaners). Will definitely pen a report once done.
raikva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 15:47   #814
Senior - BHPian

Hosur to Trichy Update.

Hosur Namakkal
Four laned and no new updates Thoppur Ghat road has been widened with speedbreakers.

Namakkal - Thottiyam - Musiri- Srirangam
roads are in good condition except for occasional potholes between Musiri and Srirangam due to the recent rains.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 08:34   #815

I did the trip and here are some route updates. When travelling from Bangalore to Srirangam I did the route suggested by srvm. We in-fact stayed in Perambulur for a night. Visited Brammapureeswarar and Vyagrapadhar temples and then drove onwards via perambulur bye-pass towards Srirangam-Trichy. After temple visits we drove onwards towards Swamimalai. After a round of temple visits and a stay at Indeco we went onwards towards Karaikal (stayed a night there) and Vaitheeswaran Kovil (stayed a night there) and took the road back to Bangalore via Athur, Salem. We visited 18 temples in this trip (some of it for the first time). Will update on the Bangalore-KMB thread as well and pen a detailed report.

The roads to Srirangam/Trichy are excellent all through. However, there is a 10 kms stretch near Athur where in an (misguided) effort to reduce accidents they are installing bollards (like the ones on the ORR bus lanes) onto the road. Now, some of our brave drivers who grace the road, refusing to be caged in, dart in and out of the bollards making it even more accident prone. This 10 or so kms stretch is bad especially if you are caught behind a slow moving tractor/truck and the rest of the F1 wannabes are behind you.

On my return trip which was via Vaitheeswaran Kovil to Bangalore the roads were excellent all through. Few potholes on the Chidambaram to Vridhachalam stretch but overall fantastic roads. The only bad roads I encountered were when I decided to come back into BLR via the Chandapura road
raikva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 09:27   #816
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikva View Post
Few potholes on the Chidambaram to Vridhachalam stretch but overall fantastic roads. The only bad roads I encountered were when I decided to come back into BLR via the Chandapura road
Great update. Curios to know more about Vridhachalam-Chidambaram section
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 10:11   #817

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Great update. Curios to know more about Vridhachalam-Chidambaram section
The roads are overall very good and traffic is sparse save for the occasional truck or two. There are some sporadic potholes on the first 20 or so kms but nothing serious. Easily manageable. Also, my trick when on these long trips is to follow (sedately driven) local number plate car (at a very safe distance). TN31 series in this case. And stating the obvious - these roads are safe to cruise at around 60kmph with the occasional acceleration. Also, the spot where you cross the vellar river when heading out has some traffic (near Bhuvanagiri). Again, easily manageable.
raikva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 19:54   #818
BHPian

We were looking at Srirangapatna to Sriranam, but are now looking at driving directly to Srirangam from Bangalore.

I see that the last update is from Oct '21 and hence presume that the road conditions may pretty much be the same. Will take the tolled road from Namakkal to Trichy as suggested by majority here.

I wanted to know a good place to stop for a quick bite mid-way. Is Radisson, Salem our best bet? Are there any other options that preferably have a veg dining option?
Old 20th December 2021, 11:00   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Will take the tolled road from Namakkal to Trichy as suggested by majority here.

I wanted to know a good place to stop for a quick bite mid-way. Is Radisson, Salem our best bet? Are there any other options that preferably have a veg dining option?
I didn't get when you say you will take tolled road from Namakkal to Trichy. You mean you want to go via Karur-Kulithalai-Jeyapuram route?

For food, there are plenty of options. Apart from the numberous choices, You can stop at Sree Saravana Bhavan (2nd one) after you take right at Krishnagiri towards salem, Sai Sangeeth in Thoppur or A2Bs at Thoppur or Rasipuram.

-Ravi
Old 20th December 2021, 11:38   #820
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't get when you say you will take tolled road from Namakkal to Trichy. You mean you want to go via Karur-Kulithalai-Jeyapuram route?
Yes, correct. I meant I prefer to take the option that is easier to drive. I understood that Karur-Kulithalai-Jeyapuram route is the better option.

Quote:
For food, there are plenty of options. Apart from the numberous choices, You can stop at Sree Saravana Bhavan (2nd one) after you take right at Krishnagiri towards salem, Sai Sangeeth in Thoppur or A2Bs at Thoppur or Rasipuram.
-Ravi
Thanks Ravi. I'll keep this noted. Was looking at GRT Salem as that comes mid way, unless that is too much of a deviation.
Old 20th December 2021, 12:43   #821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, correct. I meant I prefer to take the option that is easier to drive. I understood that Karur-Kulithalai-Jeyapuram route is the better option.

Thanks Ravi. I'll keep this noted. Was looking at GRT Salem as that comes mid way, unless that is too much of a deviation.
Though its purely your preference, just wanted to call out that Karur route is much longer in distance and you won't gain with time. Moreover, last 15 odd kms is narrow roads and heavy in traffic.

On the other hand, Namakkal-Trichy Toll gate is 90 kms and can be done in 90 minutes straight or even lesser. You may want to consider Namakkal-Thuraiyur road via Kannanur-Manachanallur which is peaceful to drive with almost little traffic, if you can bear the speed breakers in entry & exit of villages, but still doable.

Just for your consideration!

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 13:29   #822
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
We were looking at Srirangapatna to Sriranam, but are now looking at driving directly to Srirangam from Bangalore.

I see that the last update is from Oct '21 and hence presume that the road conditions may pretty much be the same. Will take the tolled road from Namakkal to Trichy as suggested by majority here.

1. Welcome to my Dholakpur ie., Srirangam.
2. I advice you to take Namakkal to Musiri to Trichy route itself instead of long route. Take a relaxed drive in this route, don't try to rush things as you can do max 65-70 kmph or tail a speeding mofussil bus.
3. In Salem there are A2Bs. Just that it is in Salem-Coimbatore highway I guess. But it is worth extra few Km detour. Or you can check for A2B in Namakkal town as well if it is operating there. But Namakkal to Trichy there are not much options.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 20:46   #823
BHPian

Quote:
You may want to consider Namakkal-Thuraiyur road via Kannanur-Manachanallur which is peaceful to drive with almost little traffic, if you can bear the speed breakers in entry & exit of villages, but still doable.
Thanks Ravi, noted and will definitely take this valuable piece of advice into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
1. Welcome to my Dholakpur ie., Srirangam.
2. I advice you to take Namakkal to Musiri to Trichy route itself instead of long route. Take a relaxed drive in this route, don't try to rush things as you can do max 65-70 kmph or tail a speeding mofussil bus.
3. In Salem there are A2Bs. Just that it is in Salem-Coimbatore highway I guess. But it is worth extra few Km detour. Or you can check for A2B in Namakkal town as well if it is operating there. But Namakkal to Trichy there are not much options.
Nice to know, KPR. may Lord Sri Ranganatha Swami also bestow upon us his Divya Darshan

Thanks for the pointers. I've noted down the route and eatery options.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 23:26   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Actually no need to detour inside Salem town or head towards Coimbatore highway which is much before and a long detour.
Similar to how Salem Coimbatore highway has A2B, likewise, Salem Madurai NH7 highway too has A2B at Rasipuram which is about 20 to 25 kms after taking the right towards Madurai in the bridge. Even if that is missed, the next one is inside Namakkal town. Post which actually no break point is needed, because next stop is Trichy which is just 90 kms and 1.5 hours drive.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 16:49   #825
BHPian

Quote:
We were looking at Srirangapatna to Sriranam,
Quote:
Post which actually no break point is needed, because next stop is Trichy which is just 90 kms and 1.5 hours drive.-Ravi
This is My regular commute from Bangalore to Trichy whenever I visit my hometown.
Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri Salem - Namakkal - Thottiyam - kulithalai- Trichy

Kulithali Route:

Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries-trichy-kulithali-map.png

I would suggest you take the Kulithali route instead of the Musiri route. The Musiri route always goes adjacent to the Kaveri river and it is a 2 lane road. The truck traffic will be there and difficult to overtake in such a big vehicle. You have to follow all vehicles at all times and 2 wheeler traffic will be there at all times and lots of curve bending will be there in this route.
From Kulithali road is 4 lane road (without divider) and there is toll in near mukkombu dam. If you want to avoid toll you can take Musiri route but is worthful route instead of taking Musiri route.
If you want an eatery option post-Namakkal there is a limited option between Trichy and kulithali.

Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries-hotel.png

There is a hotel called "Hotel Lakshmi Vilas" (It is a small Hotel ) and it is a pure veg hotel. Post this you can try only in Trichy or Srirangam for the eatery option. I tried this hotel 3-4 times and the prices are reasonable.

If you still stick on the Musiri route, on the way There is a temple called "Gunaseelam Sri Prasanna Venkatachalapathy Temple" at Gunaseelam, If your time permits you can visit this temple and get a blessing from Venkatachalapathy.
JacksonStorm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks