Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2023, 09:31   #871
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Thanks for the information. Truth be told, I probably won't be going anywhere near the areas you describe. But, it's always a pleasure to read posts from @vigsom. So when I see it's your post, I click, read and invariably enjoy what is always an informative post.
Pennant1970 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 11:33   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I thought i will exit at Periyar Bridge and take Kulithalai road and continue in Karur road, but google maps messed up and confused me, because it showed another exit via a bridge to cross cauvery after Gunaseelam. I had doubts in it, but wanted to take a chance.
Out of curiosity, I checked the google maps to find out why it didnt suggest the periyar bridge route. When you ask for direction from thottiyam to kulithalai GMaps gives route through some local road to get on to the periyar bridge road instead of the direct route.

Name:  Periyarbridge1.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  98.5 KB

The problem is at the junction of link road and periyar bridge road on Google maps. On Gmaps the right turn is not allowed. (refer to below pic) Hence it is not showing the directions using this junction. I have reported this to Gmaps to enable right turn at this junction. Request others also do it (more the better) so that the issue is fixed and helps others in getting better directions.

Name:  Periyarbridge2.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  75.8 KB

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2023 at 21:26. Reason: spaced
Landkruzer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 06:16   #873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The intent behind these posts is to explain with pictures Route no.4 that bhpian @JacksonStorm had mentioned in his post, and introduce a small variant of this route for the benefit of road users.
Thanks for sharing! This route is also a time and tested one by BHPians! (See post #480 onwards on this same thread). (old post) (Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries)

It's just that times have changed; but you will see the same usual culprits posting updates even then!

This route is a great option if one wants to bypass Trichy and head to Tanjore. Gives an easy access to Toll Gate (North Trichy) and there on an exit to Tanjore highway. Like you also said:

1. Keep an eye on the Budhansanthai exit from the 4-lane
2. One needs to watch out for the bund road section between Senthamangalam and Alanganatham. I dont know how it is these days

Last edited by ampere : 23rd January 2023 at 06:28.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:05   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

1. Keep an eye on the Budhansanthai exit from the 4-lane
2. One needs to watch out for the bund road section between Senthamangalam and Alanganatham. I dont know how it is these days
Road from Senthamangalam to Alanganatham - it is getting fixed / widened and there's a rough section of about 2 kms near the lake which I hope gets fixed soon. Rest of it is usual, a rough section here and there but generally good.

On the other hand, Namakkal - Thottiyam - Musiri has gone real bad in many sections - it is good for about 10 kms after crossing namakkal with newly widened stretches but gets worse beyond that.
I would suggest everyone not to take this route for next few months at least till the complete stretch is re-laid..

Stick to one of these options.
1. Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Trichy - wide stretches through out, though it is 2-laned beyond few kms from Karur.
2. Salem - Budhansanthai - Kannanur - Trichy route - as indicated by VigSom in above post

To give you a rough idea about the average timings on these routes (based on my driving - the difference would be mostly similar for anyone).
  • 90-100 mins to reach Trichy from Namakkal via default Thottiyam-Musiri road - but with current road conditions & road works it takes additional 10-15 mins
  • 120 mins usually from Budhansanthai to Trichy tolgate - I will bypass Namakkal completely and hence faster than option 1 with current conditions.
  • 120 mins via Karur with additional tolls - last tried few months back.
nfsfreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 22:14   #875
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Few inputs on this from my side.

Choose Nammakal - Musiri - Kulithalai - Petavaithalai - Trichy to get to the south of Trichy (not Srirangam/ThiruvanaiKoil) while the Kaveri bridge (connecting Mambazha Salai & ER High School) construction is underway. Here, as contrast to at Kollidam Bridge and Kaveri Bridge, you can cross the Kaveri River before Musiri with absolutely no traffic (situated on the highway). No need to cross two bridges as well.

Choose the other options (viz: Mannachanallur/Thathayangarpettai route) to travel to Srirangam/Thiruvanaikoil or the north of Trichy suburbs.

The road from Namakkal to Trichy via Karur is actually quite circuitous, takes more time, and offers little in the way of time or distance savings. The widening of Trichy-Karur, which began in 2006, was barely finished in 2022.
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 12:51   #876
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to visit Velankanni next week and the route I normally take onwards is via Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy bypass and left to Thanjavur and continue towards the coast.

This time I am planning to ride which I last did to Velankanni around 2009 via Karur and return via Musiri. Both ways took almost all day. From the previous posts, I decided on cutting off the Salem-Kanyakumari highway as mentioned in route 4.1 in post 867, and continue to Trichy as mentioned. I am aware that post-cutting off the main highway and up to Trichy, even on the Musiri route, puncture shops are not common and I am guessing this route is the same. Is it a safe route to do on a two-wheeler or should I stick to the Musiri route which I noted has road works going on or is it better still to stick to the main roads and go up to Karur and cut off.
Old 23rd February 2023, 22:13   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am planning to visit Velankanni next week and the route I normally take onwards is via Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy bypass and left to Thanjavur and continue towards the coast.

This time I am planning to ride which I last did to Velankanni around 2009 via Karur and return via Musiri. Both ways took almost all day. From the previous posts, I decided on cutting off the Salem-Kanyakumari highway as mentioned in route 4.1 in post 867, and continue to Trichy as mentioned. I am aware that post-cutting off the main highway and up to Trichy, even on the Musiri route, puncture shops are not common and I am guessing this route is the same. Is it a safe route to do on a two-wheeler or should I stick to the Musiri route which I noted has road works going on or is it better still to stick to the main roads and go up to Karur and cut off.
I drove from Bangalore to Trichy last weekend (18th & 19th Feb). Avoid musiri route for another 6 to 8 months easily.
I took Thuraiyur road-Thatthayangarpettai-Kannanur-Pagalavadi-Manachanallur-No. 1 Toll gate route, which is very peaceful and good 2L roads all the way.
If you are not comfortable in that, take Karur route, but IMO , there is no significant gain in driving/riding those extra kms all the way till Karur, especially when your destination towards Thanjavur/Velankkani.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 15:59   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Musiri is a strict no like Ravi said. But if your destination is Velankanni, there are couple of other alternatives you can consider.

1. Now that Tiruvannamalai route is decent, you can do Krishnagiri-Chengam-TVMalai-Thiyagadurgam-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-Velankanni (The ECR work around Chidambaram could be an issue here).
2. Salem-Vazhapadi-Thalaivasal-Perambalur-Thiruvayaru-Thanjavur and then head to Velankanni. Road is good throughout.
luvurride is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 09:52   #879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Alanganatham to Senthamangalam to Budansanthai : This is the sector bypassing Namakkal and that's why I've christened this Route 4.1; the road is good except for road relaying work around the Palapalayam lakes and a little ahead, which can throw up a lot of dust
Drove this sector again a few days back. I used route 4.1 on my way out, but decided to take route 4 (via Kannanur Namakkal) on my return.
Reason: The W-I-P section around the Palapalayam lakes throws up a lot of dust and I felt really sorry for the two wheeler riders that I overtook. Although I didn't notice any reactions from them in my ORVMs, I've decided to stop using this route until the road is asphalted. The find this time was this Shell Fuel Station, whose store has the highest range of Amul offerings that I've not seen anywhere. They serve good tea (coffee was so so) for just 10 bucks. The washroom is neat too.

Shell Petrol Pump
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LGVrkoa47Nj1KNVf8

Last edited by vigsom : 22nd March 2023 at 09:54.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:01   #880
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow! Finding a Shell on this road is surely rare, but nonetheless great to note !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:21   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Wow! Finding a Shell on this road is surely rare, but nonetheless great to note !
For the past few months Shell has once again started focusing on increasing their footprint including reviving many of their closed pumps as well https://www.shell.in/motorists/shell...n-locator.html
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 20:13   #882
BHPian

Anyone did the Namakkal - Thottiyam - Musiri strech recently? Is there any improvements in the road conditions?

Or is it still better to use the Kannanur Pagalavadi route?

Many Thanks.
Old 29th May 2023, 09:55   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
Namakkal - Thottiyam - Musiri
Not a lot can be done on this road. Unless you have intermediate destinations, its better to take alternates.

In recent years I've seen traffic jams at Nochiyam, Number 1 tollgate and the NH45 junction. Takes 10-15 minutes during my recent drives, was a < 5 minute affair before.
Old 29th May 2023, 13:47   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone did the Namakkal - Thottiyam - Musiri strech recently? Is there any improvements in the road conditions?

Many Thanks.
Stick to Kannanur Pagalavadi route eyes closed. No good reason to take Thottiyam to Musiri route now as the work is still in progress.

-Ravi
Old 29th May 2023, 18:08   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Many Thanks.
3 weeks back drove this stretch. Pagalvadi Kannanur upto Alanganatham good roads throughout .

Alanganatham to Vadugapatti roads are average .Road woks are going on.

Vadugapatti Senthamangalam Budan Santhai good roads throughout.

Day time town traffic of Namakkal can be bypassed by this route .
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks