Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2016, 09:57   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
I am planning to drive from Hyderabad to Pune and back next week.From the above posts i could summarize the following points i.e.
a) The drive is around 525-550 kms and takes around 9-10 hours. There is only one highway to be taken i.e. NH9
b) The road from Hyderabad to Solapur is not so great especially the Humnabad to Solapur section. This section is quite significant i.e. around 145 kms.

Would appreciate any useful suggestions considering the heat wave that is going on. Also would appreciate pointers for Breakfast and Lunch Joints from Hyderabad to Pune and back.
The heat is terrible-no two ways about that.Stick to the NH9,the Aland-Akkalkot route doesnt save any time and the Akkalkot-KA Border can be scary for a first timer!

There are quite a few eateries between Hadapsar and Solapur,Vithal Kamat at Mohol is the one I would suggest.http://vithalkamats.com/unit-mohol.htm

Between Solapur and Hyderabad,there is no eatery of any worthy mention.

If you are considering a flight or train option,take that-this is not an enjoyable drive by any means-I have been doing this stretch for donkeys' years but no more till the 4 laning is completed between Hyderabad and Solapur and that I dont think is going to be ready any time soon.Hadapsar-Patancheru would be a 10-12hr drive for a stretch of approximately 500kms (as opposed to a drive time of 12hrs for a distance of 900kms between Pune and Bangalore-the comparison should give you a fair idea of the road conditions.
ranjitp1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 10:06   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
If you are considering a flight or train option,take that-this is not an enjoyable drive by any means-I have been doing this stretch for donkeys' years but no more till the 4 laning is completed between Hyderabad and Solapur and that I dont think is going to be ready any time soon.
This was supposed to be my first long highway drive. I was very sceptical considering the feedback earlier about the road conditions. And i was not able to decide. Thanks to you, i have decided to drop the plan. Let my first long highway drive be on better road conditions !!!
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 08:57   #483
BHPian

Drove yesterday from Hyderabad to Solapur

Route:
Hyd - Pargi - Gulbarga - Aland - Akkalkot - Solapur

Started at 14:30 from TSPA junction and reached by 19:30 Tripursundari Hotel, Solapur ( including 2 bio/ tea breaks)

Overall route is good. Some bad patches and legendary Karnataka speed breakers can be found en-route. Would say about 15~20 kms is v bad and will require dead slow approach, especially for low slung vehicles.

We travelled in the new Figo DCT so didn't scrape anything.

We are driving towards Pune today and shall post updates on the same too.
laxmanrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 10:42   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post

Route:

Started at 14:30 from TSPA junction and reached by 19:30 Tripursundari Hotel, Solapur ( including 2 bio/ tea breaks)

Overall route is good. Some bad patches and legendary Karnataka speed breakers can be found en-route. Would say about 15~20 kms is v bad and will require dead slow approach, especially for low slung vehicles.

We travelled in the new Figo DCT so didn't scrape anything.

We are driving towards Pune today and shall post updates on the same too.
Has the KA Border-Akkalkot road been done up now?or is it still craetered?
Old 9th June 2016, 08:04   #485
BHPian

Quote:

Route:

I'd say you covered some good distance in 5 hours! It takes a min of 9 hours for me from Pune to Hyd including 2-3 breaks. I've always wanted to try the Akkalkot route, except for the fear of the Akkalkot-KA border.

I've read that the roads after the KA border are really good and devoid of the mad traffic unlike the Humnabad route. I'm planning to start tomorrow; so will wait for your reply
Old 9th June 2016, 09:02   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I'd say you covered some good distance in 5 hours! It takes a min of 9 hours for me from Pune to Hyd including 2-3 breaks. I've always wanted to try the Akkalkot route, except for the fear of the Akkalkot-KA border.

I've read that the roads after the KA border are really good and devoid of the mad traffic unlike the Humnabad route. I'm planning to start tomorrow; so will wait for your reply
The Akkalkot route wouldnt save time in any way,but yes,from the KA Border all the way till you reach the Pargi road is excellent.And if you are reaching Hyd in peak hour times,suggestion would be to take the ORR to the nearest exit of your destination.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 10:35   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The Akkalkot route wouldnt save time in any way,but yes,from the KA Border all the way till you reach the Pargi road is excellent.And if you are reaching Hyd in peak hour times,suggestion would be to take the ORR to the nearest exit of your destination.
thanks for that. How's the Akkalkot - KA border stretch?
Old 9th June 2016, 10:39   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks for that. How's the Akkalkot - KA border stretch?
Sorry I don't have the latest.Work had started on that stretch a few months back,but I don't think it would have been completed by now.
Old 10th June 2016, 22:09   #489
BHPian

Sorry for the late response. But just got back to Hyderabad today.

At Akkalkot there is about 5~10 kms of bad stretch. But most of the road is done up.

We drove back today on the Mumbai highway. Would recommend the Gulbarga route as of today, reasons as below:

- The road work seems to be at a stand still and there are loads of diversions.

- The road surface is very bad and traffic is also higher.

We started today at 10:30 from Solapur and reached Hyderabad ORR by 16:00. Including 30 mins of halts. Some sections are good and one can hold speeds of 100 but still you are sharing space with oncoming traffic which is irritating as people are overtaking in these sections.

Overall the Gulbarga route is longer by 30 kms from my place but is still the better route.

Overall fatigue for driver and passengers ( vehicle wear & tear too)is higher on the HYD- Solapur route due to a combination of inordinate traffic, unsurfaced roads, villages and speed breakers. I suppose it will take at least another year for the HYD - Solapur section to be ready in all respects.
laxmanrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 22:31   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late response. But just got back to Hyderabad today.

At Akkalkot there is about 5~10 kms of bad stretch. But most of the road is done up.

----

Overall the Gulbarga route is longer by 30 kms from my place but is still the better route.

Overall fatigue for driver and passengers ( vehicle wear & tear too)is higher on the HYD- Solapur route due to a combination of inordinate traffic, unsurfaced roads, villages and speed breakers. I suppose it will take at least another year for the HYD - Solapur section to be ready in all respects.
Considering the fact that you took nearly 5 hours on either route, I feel that your suggestion for the Gulbarga Akkalkot route is better because of less traffic and also because the bad stretch is only for 10 to 20 kms. A friend recently took the NH9 and said the road was slushy with too many diversions. He also said there was lots of traffic.

People were wary of the Akkalkot route till your update because those who traveled earlier said the border was horrible for more than 30 kms.
Old 14th June 2016, 12:09   #491
BHPian

So finally I decided to ditch the NH9 in favour of the Akkalkot route and I should say that I'm impressed. There's something with KA and good clean roads. The roads in KA are a dream to drive with those couple of huge sudden curves, sparse traffic.

I started at 9am in Pune and got onto the ORR at around 7pm with about 45min of breaks. I drove very leisurely barely going above the 90-100kmph mark. The stretch of roads in KA is tolled with the first stretch till Gulbarga costing about 75/- and the next one from Gulbarga till Sedam costing about 55/-

The road is well maintained and is worth the toll paid. We can take the road through Solapur town if you know how to. If not, drive till you reach the end of the expressway. Instead of taking the left onto NH9 take the right. Drive for about 500m, take left and a right after 800m. From there on it's a straight drive till Akkalkot.

Unlike what the experiences were before, I see good progress being made after Akkalkot. I've not traveled before, so can't comment on the change. Here are some pics.

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_140352_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_140713_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_140732_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_140759_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_141242_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_141341_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_141346_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_141351_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_141358_hdr.jpg

This probably is the border stretch. It was not unmanageable for my Punto. I even saw an i10 too.

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_143149_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_143211_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_143238_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_143251_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_143320_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_143501_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_143637_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_143803_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_144604_hdr.jpg

This was a bit bad with boulders threatening to scratch the underbelly. But nothing of that sort happened. I'd vouch for this road when compared to the mad traffic and congested town junctions of the NH9.

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_144620_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_144911_hdr.jpg
rav11stars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 12:23   #492
BHPian

A big arch and super clean and straight roads welcomed us into KA. The first toll gate we got two options. One toll or two tolls If you're going to cross Gulbarga we can pay for the 2nd toll here and just show the receipt at the 2nd toll plaza.

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_144920_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_144929_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_145525_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-img_20160610_145653_hdr.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-wp_20160610_004.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-wp_20160610_005.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-wp_20160610_006.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-wp_20160610_007.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-wp_20160610_14_56_44_pro.jpg

Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries-wp_20160610_16_10_54_pro.jpg

Note that as you approach Gulbarga you have to take the first left at the first X road that you encounter to get onto the bypass road. Although they say it's a bypass you'll face some traffic.

Diesel is lesser by 1/- when compared to Pune. On the bypass as cross junctions, look for the big junction with a petrol bunk on the left. Take the left from there to turn onto the Sedam road. Beautiful roads beckon you again.

Once you cross the border into Telangana, you'll notice a subtle change in the road as well as the traffic. The broad shoulders of the road are gone and be wary of the undulating surface. Look out for the curves and do not drive fast.

Happy motoring and drive safe.
rav11stars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 20:22   #493
BHPian

Quote:
A big arch and super clean and straight roads welcomed us into KA. The first toll gate we got two options. One toll or two tolls If you're going to cross Gulbarga we can pay for the 2nd toll here and just show the receipt at the 2nd toll plaza.
Hi, Thanks for the detailed headsup on the route. How long is the very bad stretch where you had those boulders / stones threatening to scrape the car.

I have travelled NH9 few times (Mumbai to Hyd), the road has improved over the years but still bit painful.
Old 14th June 2016, 21:58   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivethru View Post
Hi, Thanks for the detailed headsup on the route. How long is the very bad stretch where you had those boulders / stones threatening to scrape the car.

I have travelled NH9 few times (Mumbai to Hyd), the road has improved over the years but still bit painful.
The bad stretches are about 3-4 in number with each about probably 300-400m in length. They're manageable.
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 22:21   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bad stretches are about 3-4 in number with each about probably 300-400m in length. They're manageable.
Thanks a lot for the detailed narration supported by ample pictures. Now we know for sure that this is the best route to Pune until NH9 is 4-laned. And I am sure that will take at least 2 to 3 years.

I was wondering how much longer this route is when compared to NH9?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks