Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2008, 01:02   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Planning to take the beaten track (Bangalore – Mysore - Hunsur – Piriyapatna - Kushalnagar – Suntikoppa – Madikeri) to Coorg this weekend. Any updates on road conditions? Especially after Kushalnagar?

Also, I've heard that there is a road to the right just after Srirangapatana that goes to Hunsur. Any markers for this turn/junction?
its just before the big hoarding which says Welcome to Srirangapatna. I believe you will come across a speed-breaker at that junction.
Old 24th June 2008, 07:33   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to take the beaten track (Bangalore – Mysore - Hunsur – Piriyapatna - Kushalnagar – Suntikoppa – Madikeri) to Coorg this weekend. Any updates on road conditions? Especially after Kushalnagar?

Also, I've heard that there is a road to the right just after Srirangapatana that goes to Hunsur. Any markers for this turn/junction?
Roads are just travellable after Kushalnagar.

The turn after Srirangapatna is properly marked. slow down & keep to the right after you cross the bridge after the srirangapatna town. The turn is right in the middle of a left hand curve, but marked properly.

cheers:
Old 24th June 2008, 12:19   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Roads are just travellable after Kushalnagar.

The turn after Srirangapatna is properly marked. slow down & keep to the right after you cross the bridge after the srirangapatna town. The turn is right in the middle of a left hand curve, but marked properly.

cheers:
Thank you swiftron and eclectix for the clarification.
Old 24th June 2008, 13:09   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Unni I recommend that you stay away from taking this right at Srirangapatna, you don't save much on gas or distance.

Simply drive on till you reach the Mysore Ring Road. At the junction take a right and follow the road, takes you to the Hunsur Main Road. Makes life easy since its well marked and the road is really wide.

Last I heard the road beyond hunsur has been done up,you might find a few rough patches beyond KushalNagar. Happy tripping and drive safe.
Old 24th June 2008, 13:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

This is the same road as Rangantittu Bird Sanctuary. There's a huge board of the bird sanctuary at the junction. After that its mostly straight bar one confusing Y junction. Take the road that goes down and not up.

However as rj mentioned, take the road from outer ring road. It actually is in much better condition than the rangantittu road. The road is really good till periyapatna. At the city its in terrible condition as road construction is going on. Beyond it I'm not really sure as I took the left from there towards Orange County.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 24th June 2008 at 13:22.
Old 24th June 2008, 13:21   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Unni I recommend that you stay away from taking this right at Srirangapatna, you don't save much on gas or distance.

Simply drive on till you reach the Mysore Ring Road. At the junction take a right and follow the road, takes you to the Hunsur Main Road. Makes life easy since its well marked and the road is really wide.

Last I heard the road beyond hunsur has been done up,you might find a few rough patches beyond KushalNagar. Happy tripping and drive safe.
Last time I went, I did take the right from the junction onto the Mysore Ring Road and managed to get lost somehow!! Maybe I missed the direction boards or something of that sort. Will take the route which you have mentioned. So, after the right onto the Mysore Ring Road, I just need to keep going straight, right? Are there any turns or something of that sort that I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th June 2008, 13:44   #52
Senior - BHPian

Unni
I went there last on 10th May.
My suggestion is to take the Hunsur By pass as it is a nice scenic road plus the road condition is pretty good all round.

Going to Coorg - suggest you take the LEFT FORK which leads you to Gonikoppal and Virajpet and go that way to Madikeri rather than use the Periyapatna - Kushalnagar - Suntikoppa stretch because it was terribly bad just a month and a half ago and I am pretty sure it wouldnt have improved - probably become worse on account of the monsoons!

Quote:
Last time I went, I did take the right from the junction onto the Mysore Ring Road and managed to get lost somehow!! Maybe I missed the direction boards or something of that sort. Will take the route which you have mentioned. So, after the right onto the Mysore Ring Road, I just need to keep going straight, right? Are there any turns or something of that sort that I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th June 2008, 13:48   #53
BHPian

Hi Unni,

Well the roads have been relaid and till kushalnagar its a nice drive.the drive from kushalnagar to madikeri takes approx 45mins- 1hr.the road is bad but has been patched up to make it driveable.You should be able to reach kushalnagar within 4hrs since the roads till there are nice.I just got back from madikeri yesterday.Its been raining there so if your someone who likes the rains then you will enjoy it.Btw where do you plan on staying?shout out if you need any help there.i may go back again this weekend to finish some pending work.have a nice trip.

Last edited by princezahed : 24th June 2008 at 13:52.
Old 24th June 2008, 14:24   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Hi Unni,

Well the roads have been relaid and till kushalnagar its a nice drive.the drive from kushalnagar to madikeri takes approx 45mins- 1hr.the road is bad but has been patched up to make it driveable.You should be able to reach kushalnagar within 4hrs since the roads till there are nice.I just got back from madikeri yesterday.Its been raining there so if your someone who likes the rains then you will enjoy it.Btw where do you plan on staying?shout out if you need any help there.i may go back again this weekend to finish some pending work.have a nice trip.
Hey, thanks for the latest update. I do love the rain. Infact thats one of the reasons I choose to re-visit Coorg at this time of the year. Planning to stay at a home-stay, where my office team and I had stayed last time I was there. I'll let u know if I need any help. Thanks for the well-wishes. Drive safe.
Old 24th June 2008, 14:52   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder how you got lost since the road is pretty easy to follow. Take the right from Mysore Road to the Ring Road and after GRS fantasy park is the 1st signal.
(Look to your left side when you pass thru a railway overbridge and there is a massive sign board with the distance marked)

Follow the road straight on from there without taking a right or leave.

Another sign board you cant miss is the one at the singal. So keep your eyes wide .
Old 24th June 2008, 15:12   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I wonder how you got lost since the road is pretty easy to follow. Take the right from Mysore Road to the Ring Road and after GRS fantasy park is the 1st signal.
(Look to your left side when you pass thru a railway overbridge and there is a massive sign board with the distance marked)

Follow the road straight on from there without taking a right or leave.

Another sign board you cant miss is the one at the singal. So keep your eyes wide .
Thanks for the instructions rj. Will keep eyes wide open. Infact will ask all in the car to do the same. cheers:
Old 26th June 2008, 00:34   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the instructions rj. Will keep eyes wide open. Infact will ask all in the car to do the same. cheers:
Dont worry Unni, i am sure you should be able to find your way through. And its fun trying to find your way out. If you are going to Virajpet, i suggest you to take it slow since there are a few rough patches which can really tick you off. Anyway, Enjoy your stay at Coorg and post some pictures too if you can. Have a safe and pleasant journey.
Old 26th June 2008, 08:19   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftron View Post
Dont worry Unni, i am sure you should be able to find your way through. And its fun trying to find your way out. If you are going to Virajpet, i suggest you to take it slow since there are a few rough patches which can really tick you off. Anyway, Enjoy your stay at Coorg and post some pictures too if you can. Have a safe and pleasant journey.
Language is the barrier!!! But, this time around, I'm pretty sure that i wont get lost, thanks to the info everyone else has posted. Will surely post some pics and write a log. Heard its raining pretty hard there. But, then it adds to the fun!!!

Drive Safe
Old 27th June 2008, 13:55   #59
BHPian

Just got to know about an alternate route to Coorg: Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet - Madikeri.

Any updates on road conditions? The distance is almost same as the Hunsur - Piriyapatna - Kushalnagar – Suntikoppa route. Is this a route worth exploring? Hope some one replies quick. I'm leaving at 4am tomorrow and need to fix on the route!!
Old 27th June 2008, 16:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got to know about an alternate route to Coorg: Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet - Madikeri.
It is a good route,expect narrow roads inside nagarhole sanctuary. read my coorg travelogue of 2006. Once you cross Hunsur town road breaks like a V. left goes to Virajpet and right goes to Kushalnagar. Madikeri is also written as right (as this is the main highway for madikeri). Ignore and proceed to left. initial 10km is uneven (it was uneven then dont know now) after that it was great. Specially the Virajpet - Madikeri drive was memorable, excellent roads and nice curves.

Suggest you to go through my travelogue. I mentioned the routes clearly.

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks