Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2022, 13:38   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Planning for drive to Coorg on 19th Aug long weekend, need recommendations on the 2N stay for 3A and the points of interest around the stay. Plus any inputs on the road conditions would also be helpful.

I was just browsing and came across a home stay called Magnolia resorts, anybody stayed here? How's the review?
Old 11th August 2022, 15:05   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Planning for drive to Coorg on 19th Aug long weekend, need recommendations on the 2N stay for 3A and the points of interest around the stay. Plus any inputs on the road conditions would also be helpful.

I was just browsing and came across a home stay called Magnolia resorts, anybody stayed here? How's the review?
We had stayed in "The High House Home Stay" last week for 2N / 3D trip. We were 10 adults in the family and there are 4 bedrooms in this house and had accommodated the whole family. This place is midway in the route from Madikeri to Talakaveri. Very calm and serene place. Food was cooked and served hot - both breakfast and dinner. Very tasty. Evening coffee and snacks were too good. They have two housekeepers who take care of the cooking in the servant quarters behind home and donot let the house fill with cooking smell. The home stay is also located bang on the main road and so we dont have to deal with driving through small lanes. Search in google maps and this places comes up with pictures. If you are interested, I will PM you the owner number.

We covered the below places while driving to Madikeri and then went straight to a relaxed evening to High house home stay.

1. Kushalnagar Golder temple
2. Cauvery Nisargadhama

Next day we covered the below places at Madikeri
3. Abby falls
4. Museum / fort (Good place for pictures)
5. Omkareshwar Temple
6. Raja's seat
Got back to Home stay.

Last day we were supposed to cover the below places
1. Triveni Sangama
2. Bhagamandala Temple and
3. TalaKaveri
However, all three days, it was raining non stop and the bridge at Bhagamandala was submerged. Hence we could not cover these three and had to drive back home directly.

I see that you have sold your Punto and moved to Harrier. I still hold on to my Punto. But this trip was covered in the Taigun.

Last edited by gopikb : 11th August 2022 at 15:09.
gopikb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 19:30   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
If you are interested, I will PM you the owner number.

I see that you have sold your Punto and moved to Harrier. I still hold on to my Punto. But this trip was covered in the Taigun.
The pics look nice, do share the owner's details.

Yes, the Punto was sold since my son no longer started to fit in the rear seats. Harrier ownership thread is held up coz I am too lazy to click some pics, the one I have arent good enough.
Old 11th August 2022, 20:09   #664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

You can try looking for Amanvana Resort in Kushalnagar, although I think you are probably too late for the sought after properties. You can also try the Tata Plantation Bungalow at Cottabetta. I guess their name has changed to AMA Plantation trail. Super experience at both the places.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 09:27   #665
BHPian

Am planning for a Coorg Trip this Dec end and need some pointers and suggestions from this helpful forum members, as it will be my 1st time visiting Coorg. We are a family of 2 + 1 and we will be travelling from Pune.
I like to research extensively and plan my Trips and do Hotel Bookings on my own rather than taking help of any Tour Operator. Did the same for my Sikkim Trip last year and it worked out great.

1. Planning is still in the initial stages, but am planning to cover Coorg (4N or 5N) and Nagarhole (1N or 2N) in this Trip. Do not want it to be a hectic or rushed up trip and need some leisure time. Taking that into consideration, does this look ok? Any other suggestions in the Itinerary?

2. Good Stay Options? Either Resorts or Homestays will do. Do not want to stretch a lot and would prefer not to extend beyond 8k per night. As it is Christmas / New Year time, will the rates be too high?

3. Planning to fly to either Bangalore or Mangalore from Pune. Which one would be advisable? I see Coorg is nearer to Mangalore, so that would be the obvious choice. But, are there any risks flying to Mangalore considering the past history of a Crash and it being on a Table Top? Or am i overthinking it?

4. I would like to hire a Cab right from the time i land in either Bangalore / Mangalore and till my return journey back to Pune. Any recommended and reliable Cab Operators?

5. Is it worth covering Nagarhole National Park? Recommended to do at start or end of Trip? Good Stay Options in Nagarhole?

6. How cold will it be at Coorg at this time of the year? Any chances of Rains?

Any other suggestions or tips that anyone would like to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
We had stayed in "The High House Home Stay" last week for 2N / 3D trip.
Hi gopikb, could you please PM me the Owner Number and if you could also let me know how much did it cost you.

Last edited by abhi3284 : 17th September 2022 at 09:44. Reason: Edit Text
Old 21st September 2022, 18:51   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Am planning for a Coorg Trip this Dec end and need some pointers and suggestions from this helpful forum members, as it will be my 1st time visiting Coorg.
Coorg ( Kodagu ) is a district in Karnataka where Madikeri is like the major town in the district.

This is similar to Wayanad in Kerala, where Wayanad is the name of a district and not a place.

West side of Coorg is closer to Mangalore and East side of Coorg is closer to Mysore.

Coorg recommendations-coorg.jpg

You can choose either Mangalore or Mysore and plan your trip accordingly.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 19:02   #667
BHPian

You really need to narrow down your plan. RIght now it is just too generic.

To answer some of your questions

1)

3 nights should be about enough for Coorg. 4 might be more leisurely. It will be better to have 3 days for coorg and 2 days for Nagarhole

2) Coorg is full of home stays. You will be spoilt for choice. YOu need to decide if you want to stay in Mercara (capital) or in a coffee estate. Really depends on your outlook

3) You are overthinking. The advantage however of Bangalore is that you can cover Mysore

4) Too many to list
5) The best would be Jungle Lodges . Note that they are however expensive

6) If you decide to stay in Kutta or whereabouts you can cover Nagarghole since Kutta is just outside the forest. Yes it is worth covering Nagarhole if you are interested in Nature

YOu can DM me for more information

Quote:
Am planning for a Coorg Trip this Dec end and .
deepak_misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 11:48   #668
BHPian

Have made some further progress in preparing my Coorg Trip Itinerary. Some changes involved compared to my previous post. Revised Plan now is to cover Mysore, Coorg & Nagarhole Safari. Also, instead of Flying, we will be Driving from Pune along with my friend's family in his Alcazar SUV...Full Team-BHP Style Road Trip. After all, we Live to Drive.

1. Planning to do

a) Pune - Davanagere (1N stopover) - Mysore (2N) - Coorg (4N) - Davanagere / Hubli (1N) - Pune

OR

b) Pune - Davanagere (1N stopover) - Coorg (4N) - Mysore (2N) - Davanagere / Hubli (1N) - Pune

Which is the more advisable or preferable option among the two?

2. Have narrowed down to a Coffee Plantation Homestay near Virajpet. Couple of options here:

a) Stay 4N in Virajpet Homestay and book afternoon Nagarhole Safari and travel from Virajpet to Nanchi Gate (Kutta) for the Safari Trip. Post Safari, return back to Virajpet stay.

b) Stay 1N near Nagarhole Forest (Came across a good Home stay https://gajavilla.in/). Then stay 3N in Virajpet Stay.

Which of them is more feasible / advisable to do?

3. Researching on Forest Safari, i see there are 3 Locations: Bandipur, Hunsur & Nanchi Gate (Kutta). We are planning for the Afternoon Time Slot.

a) Which one is better location wise and for Wildlife Sightings? Am aware there is a lot of luck involved to get a glimpse of the Big Cat.

b) Recommended to take the Jeep Safari or Bus Safari is equally good? I see Bus Safari is 500 pp and Jeep Safari is 2250 pp.

4. Any recommended Route for Pune - Mysore - Coorg to avoid any bad roads and shorten travel time? I was planning to just rely on Google Maps and follow what she says.

We are still some time away from doing this Trip (Dec. end), but want to plan and finalize it soon, to avoid peak season rates and rush.

Looking forward to suggestions and inputs from Locals or Bangalore / Karnataka experts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Coorg ( Kodagu ) is a district in Karnataka where Madikeri is like the major town in the district.

West side of Coorg is closer to Mangalore and East side of Coorg is closer to Mysore.

You can choose either Mangalore or Mysore and plan your trip accordingly.
Thank you. This detailed map will be extremely useful to me on my Trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_misra View Post
You really need to narrow down your plan. Right now it is just too generic.

YOu can DM me for more information
Thank you Deepak for your valuable inputs. Have posted my revised Itinerary above. Looking forward to your inputs on the same.
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:24   #669
BHPian

Quote:
2. Have narrowed down to a Coffee Plantation Homestay near Virajpet. Couple of options here:

a) Stay 4N in Virajpet Homestay and book afternoon Nagarhole Safari and travel from Virajpet to Nanchi Gate (Kutta) for the Safari Trip. Post Safari, return back to Virajpet stay.

b) Stay 1N near Nagarhole Forest (Came across a good Home stay https://gajavilla.in/). Then stay 3N in Virajpet Stay.

Which of them is more feasible / advisable to do?

a) Which one is better location wise and for Wildlife Sightings? Am aware there is a lot of luck involved to get a glimpse of the Big Cat.

b) Recommended to take the Jeep Safari or Bus Safari is equally good? I see Bus Safari is 500 pp and Jeep Safari is 2250 pp.

Let me try and answer the questions which i know.

2) I am not familiar with Virajpet and hence cannot comment. However I do know Kutta and that has the advantage of having quite a lot of places of interest nearby. Kerala - Tholpetty , Irupu falls, Kuruvu islands, Thirunelly. Kutta is adjacent to the Nagarhole forest.
I am not saying that Kutta is better than Virajpet. It is just that it seems closer to the forest and has a lot of areas of interests nearby. Virajpet might be a better place but i don't have experience.

https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Rev...Karnataka.html

is which I know and have stayed. 4 nights in a single homestay might get boring and I would suggest to spend the one night in Nagarhole. Note that there are no homestays inside the forest and so all would be outside or may adjoining.

Wildlife sightings are purely a matter of luck and there is no one location is better than the other. I would suggest going with an open mind and just enjoying the forest. Remove all thoughts of seeing tigers, leopards etc. If you do see any it will be a bonus but if you don't have any expectation you will not be disappointed. Most first timers concentrate too much on seeing big animals and miss out completely on the remaining 99% that the forest offers.
A jeep is far better if you don't mind the cost since you are in control, wont have noisy passengers and ask the driver to concentrate on what you want to see.
Hope this helps
deepak_misra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 11:24   #670
BHPian

We had stayed in Kutta for 4 days in Dec 2021. The place we were in is called Vanandhaara though there are plentiful options around Kutta for all budgets. This place was clean and fine - maintained well and food was good too.

This is 3-4 kms from the Nanchi gate from where the Nagarahole Safari starts and that was one of our criteria as well since we did the early morning and afternoon trips. Luckily as it happened, we sighted the tiger on both safaris but as others have mentioned, this involves large amounts of luck

Other than the proximity to the safari gate, there are other places close by for relaxing drives. The Thirunelly temple is definitely worth a visit in the evening when the lamps are lit and aarti is done. The temple itself is really old in the traditional Kerala style.

The Iruppu falls is also a short distance away though this involves some climbing. Nothing strenuous, but elders might take some time to get there. And finally there is a tea estate a scenic drive close by which makes for a very different view from the coffee plantations all over Coorg.

To get to Kutta, you can actually drive through the Nagarahole wildlife park itself which is a good experience in itself. When going from Mysore, you need to take a left at Hunsur and you will get to the Natl. Park gate and you will exit at Nanchi gate on the other side from where Kutta is a few kms. Check out this route if you'd like to consider splitting your stay between Virajpet and Kutta.
vijaykr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 11:40   #671
BHPian

Coorg queries

Hey Guys,
Planning to go to Coorg for this december vacation. Is there any place you would recommend for stay.

Preferences are :

Car Parking. Consider this the ultimate dealbreaker, if unavailable

Bonfire facilities

Preferably a villa for hire, okay with an open hotel type only if the place is
damn good. Otherwise, want a secluded spot, for the family.

In house cook, eggitarian cuisine

Place preferably in the hills and remote, not the ones smack in the town.

The stay would not be for more than 2 or 3 days, due to work, college etc.

Swimming pool is optional, but welcome

Any novelties or different type of stay, like tents, wood houses, tree houses etc are welcome.

I know this is a choosy list. That is exactly the reason why i am posting this query here. This type of preferences can be satisfied only by people with personal experience.

Thanks in advance.

Mods, if this thread already exists, please do merge it with the existing one. Thank you
Old 28th October 2022, 12:30   #672
BHPian

Re: Coorg queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
I know this is a choosy list. That is exactly the reason why i am posting this query here. This type of preferences can be satisfied only by people with personal experience.
You may check out Jungle Lodges and Resorts- Dubare Elephant Camp . Will satisfy all requirements and more (except for the in house cook). Car can be parked by the riverside and you can take a boat to the Jungle Lodge.

The Taj property at Coorg is also quite good. Again all requirements will be met except for the in house cook. They have private fireplace inside the rooms and if you have booked multiple rooms can get them connected to make your own villa with private bonfire!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Aditya : 28th October 2022 at 22:18. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
soarersc300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 12:43   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
Hey Guys,
Planning to go to Coorg for this december vacation. Is there any place you would recommend for stay.
Check this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...endations.html (Coorg recommendations)
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 14:44   #674
Senior - BHPian

There is a place called Msimba. I had stayed in May and it was a fantastic experience with in house cook, swimming pool, independent villa etc. I stayed with my extended family for 4 nights and it was great.

Link to airbnb: https://www.airbnb.co.in/rooms/47209...6vQBMF6v86uqsI

Hope this helps
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 21:06   #675
BHPian

Check this place out:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5391308

our D-BHPian Dr.AD has summed up the experience well.

I Have also stayed there multiple times, fits your requirements very well indeed.

- Ample parking

- Three massive rooms are available, you can book the entire "villa"

- Spotlessly clean

- Bonfire and a beautiful gazebo

- Secluded

- Not in a touristy area but plenty to do and see around the place

- Easily accessible (a sedan will make the trip unscathed)

- The owners Tripula and Hemanth are excellent hosts.
ashivas89 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks