Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 18:05   #526
BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
I would need some suggestions on:
1. If Dubaare can be skipped in favor of a similar place, or a small stream where we can safely get into water.
2. Any decent homestay/hotel close to Mandalpatti to stay for the night of 19th.
3. Any less-crowded place with historic value on our way that we can visit by spending very little time.
4. And correction to anything that is wrong in the above plan.

Thanks in advance!
Bhushan
I seem to be travelling to Coorg on the same dates. This would be my first time in Coorg.
About the places to stay why not try some homestays near Virajpet ?
Old 16th December 2015, 19:20   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIncredible View Post
I seem to be travelling to Coorg on the same dates. This would be my first time in Coorg.
About the places to stay why not try some homestays near Virajpet ?
Having visited Coorg quite sometime ago, I'm planning the whole trip with Google's help. It looks like Virajpet would be a little far from Mandalpatti. I don't even know if staying in Madikeri and surroundings will be feasible. But again, I guess if we reach Madikeri late night and can't find a place to stay, none of us would mind if we have to ride 35km back to find a place to stay

First time in Coorg? I'm sure you'll enjoy!
Make sure to visit all the famous spots and have fun.
Old 16th December 2015, 19:45   #528
BHPian

Coorg Stays:

Whenever I think about Coorg stays - Serene Woods it is for me

Not more than 4-6 rooms, sort of a homestay. Lovely location, extremely warm owner - Nischal Ponappa

My wife is waiting to visit there again next year some time. We drove all the way from Mumbai to Madekeri to Coorg via Chikamanglur, Hassan. Enjoyed every bit of it.
Old 17th December 2015, 09:32   #529
BHPian

Have been to Coorg quite a few times and stayed at Virajpet as well. I would recommend Madikeri any day over Virajpet as a location and Club Mahindra as a resort. It is brilliant in every sense. It is slightly expensive compared to home stays but totally worth it. The food is awesome and the service is great.
I'd probably share some photos soon.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 17th December 2015 at 09:37.
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:57   #530
Senior - BHPian

Need help

We are going to Coorg for a quick 1 day visit. I have booked a hotel for a day @ Madikeri

Plan:
Leave Bangalore @ 6 AM
Visit Golden temple at Kushal nagar (11 AM to 1 PM)
Check-in Hotel @ Madikeri + Lunch
Visit Rajah Seat and Omkareshwara temple

Is there any other place within few Kilometers of Madikeri worth visiting?

Next day morning we are driving towards Kannur-Kerala, how good is Madikeri-Virajpet route?

Last edited by Latheesh : 22nd December 2015 at 11:00.
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:10   #531
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
We are going to Coorg for a quick 1 day visit. I have booked a hotel for a day @ Madikeri
If you plan to take Mysore Road on a weekend, please start by 5am at least.
Else take Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore.

From Mysore, take the outer ring road near Columbia Asia hospital and go towards Hunsur, en route there is a Kalyani restaurant that can be a good stop for breakfast.
Other places you can visit are Cauvery Nisarghadhama (on the highway itself) near Kushal nagar and the Dubare elephant camp (I don't think you will have time for this).
At Madikeri you can go to the Madikeri fort but may not be so interesting, it also houses government offices. Abbey falls is also not very far from Madikeri but not sure if you have the time for it.

No idea about the Virajpet route.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 10:09   #532
BHPian

Serene Woods is booked on the dates I am going to Coorg. Any other options in the same budget range (5-6k) ? I am looking for an Estate Homestay kind of accomadtion , not a typical Hotel type one. Tata Plantations is good but around 40k from Coorg.
Old 7th March 2016, 15:06   #533
Senior - BHPian

We will be visiting Coorg later part of this month. Looking for suggestion for restaurants in Madikeri to taste local delicacies. Also, besides Dubare Elephant Camp, what are the other important attractions for small kids (6 years and 3 years)?
Old 4th April 2016, 21:01   #534
JD1
BHPian

Is the Mysore bypass (Srirangapatna - Hunsur) road good now? Or should I take Mysore ORR for good roads?
Next set of questions specific to Mandalpatti visit-
(1) Is it at safe altitude for 2 year old toddler?
(2) Do I need to rent a 4x4 from Madikeri or can I drive my Xcent till someplace and then rent 4x4 from that place saving some money?
Old 4th April 2016, 21:31   #535
Senior - BHPian

If any of of you guys are driving towards Bhagamandala/Talacauvery, drop in for coffee at our place. Would love to host TBhpians, if only for a bit. PM me for directions etc.
zenx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 00:40   #536
Senior - BHPian

@JD1, I am from Coorg and I always prefer the Mysore ORR. the distance may be longer but the roads are always good. Currently the bypass has some parts where work is on-going, plus when we drove it a week or so ago, it was not all that great. Potholes and roadwork are not my idea of a fun drive.
Altitude at Mandalpatti is safe for a 2 year old, unless the child has major breathing problems. No issues at all for a normal child.
You can rent 4x4 at Mandalpatti itself
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 11:37   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
If any of of you guys are driving towards Bhagamandala/Talacauvery, drop in for coffee at our place. Would love to host TBhpians, if only for a bit. PM me for directions etc.
Always wanted to meet other bhpians in coorg. Will surely PM you the next time i am in coorg. I live in s coorg about 15kms from nagarhole. My neighbor is a bhpian "Timson" who is always lurking on any thread with the mention of Jeep or Willys in it.

Maddy
Old 6th April 2016, 10:09   #538
Senior - BHPian

Spending 2 nights at Coorg (Rare Earth estate), any recommendation for a day of sightseeing.

I am driving new Endy from Coimbatore, What is the right route recommendation from Mysore? (Mysore to Madikiri)

I will post my experience after 24th.
Old 6th April 2016, 10:57   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Spending 2 nights at Coorg (Rare Earth estate), any recommendation for a day of sightseeing.

I am driving new Endy from Coimbatore, What is the right route recommendation from Mysore? (Mysore to Madikiri)

I will post my experience after 24th.
Mysore-Madikeri is quite straight forward. If you're coming from Coimbatore via Chamarajnagar-T.Narsipur, take the Mysore Ring road in the anticlockwise direction (Turning right from the T.Narsipur-Mysore NH 212), and after crossing Bannur Road and Bangalore Mysore road, turn right on to the highway to Hunsur. Follow that highway all the way and it should take you to Madikeri via Hunsur-Periyapatna-Kushalnagar.

In case you're taking the Chamarajnagar-Nanjangud-Mysore road, it would be shorter to take the Mysore Ring road in the clockwise direction. (Turn left on to Ring road from the Nanjangud Mysore road, and turn left at the Hunsur road junction. However this route may not be all that good in terms of road conditions since Nanjangud-Mysore is undergoing 4 laning work and the CRNagar-Nanjangud road surface may not be all that great either.

There is some road work going on in the CRNagar-T.Narsipur-Mysore route as well. There are one or two diversions in the CRNagar-T.Narsipur sector with a total of may be 1km of road undergoing expansion. Not sure about the T.Narsipur-Mysore section of NH212 since I haven't travelled that way for a while - but there was a report here that this road also some ongoing roadwork a few months back.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 11:40   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Mysore-Madikeri is quite straight forward. If you're coming from Coimbatore via Chamarajnagar-T.Narsipur, take the Mysore Ring road in the anticlockwise direction (Turning right from the T.Narsipur-Mysore NH 212), and after crossing Bannur Road and Bangalore Mysore road, turn right on to the highway to Hunsur. Follow that highway all the way and it should take you to Madikeri via Hunsur-Periyapatna-Kushalnagar.

In case you're taking the Chamarajnagar-Nanjangud-Mysore road, it would be shorter to take the Mysore Ring road in the clockwise direction. (Turn left on to Ring road from the Nanjangud Mysore road, and turn left at the Hunsur road junction. However this route may not be all that good in terms of road conditions since Nanjangud-Mysore is undergoing 4 laning work and the CRNagar-Nanjangud road surface may not be all that great either.

There is some road work going on in the CRNagar-T.Narsipur-Mysore route as well. There are one or two diversions in the CRNagar-T.Narsipur sector with a total of may be 1km of road undergoing expansion. Not sure about the T.Narsipur-Mysore section of NH212 since I haven't travelled that way for a while - but there was a report here that this road also some ongoing roadwork a few months back.
Thank you Kala for the recommendation. I will take Chamarajnagar-T.Narsipur route. I will update the route info after coming back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks