Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2015, 21:46   #436
Team-BHP Support

Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Guys, need an advice. Is Bangalore to Coorg and back possible in a day?
Is drive the motivation or leisure? Surely it does not seem like leisure. Its not a place to go and see some view points and come back. Its a place to be enjoyed in leisure.

Also its going to be quite hot.

But otherwise if you still want to go ahead, a 3AM start to take you to Madikeri by 8:30/9AM.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 21:58   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is drive the motivation or leisure? Surely it does not seem like leisure. Its not a place to go and see some view points and come back. Its a place to be enjoyed in leisure.

Also its going to be quite hot.

But otherwise if you still want to go ahead, a 3AM start to take you to Madikeri by 8:30/9AM.
The ride is based only on motivation to see what's exactly Coorg. I have spent my life growing up in hills, hence. The primary purpose here is to ride on beautiful hilly roads, which I expect to be there.

Thanks. We expected the same ETA. Any good restaurants you'd recommend to have lunch?

Also, best route for going as well as returning?
Old 27th March 2015, 22:01   #438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The ride is based only on motivation to see what's exactly Coorg. I have spent my life growing up in hills, hence. The primary purpose here is to ride on beautiful hilly roads, which I expect to be there.

Thanks. We expected the same ETA. Any good restaurants you'd recommend to have lunch?

Also, best route for going as well as returning?
But then do note: Coorg is almost like the foothills. (Mainly plantations).
For lunch you should be good with places in Madikeri (dont know any specific one to suggest).

With 3AM start, take the Mysore road. You should be near Periyapatna Coffee day for your breakfast. Or Cafe Coorg at the start of Hunsur bypass.
Old 27th March 2015, 22:04   #439
BHPian

Quote:
But then do note: Coorg is almost like the foothills. (Mainly plantations).
For lunch you should be good with places in Madikeri (dont know any specific one to suggest).

With 3AM start, take the Mysore road. You should be near Periyapatna Coffee day for your breakfast. Or Cafe Coorg at the start of Hunsur bypass.
Alright. Will check them out.

Sounds good. While returning, we want to avoid the maniacal Mysore road traffic, and intend to cross Mysore before sunset. Or can you suggest alternate routes?
Old 27th March 2015, 22:19   #440
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Alright. Will check them out.

Sounds good. While returning, we want to avoid the maniacal Mysore road traffic, and intend to cross Mysore before sunset. Or can you suggest alternate routes?
You can take the route via Nh48.

Route Link
Old 27th March 2015, 22:23   #441
BHPian

Quote:
I reckon this route will be more scenic and isolated of speed-breakers and heavy traffic.

Shall ride on this route, then. Thanks a lot for your prompt replies!
Old 28th March 2015, 08:02   #442
BHPian

Quote:

Route Link

Hi,

Thanks for all this help, ampere.

The link you posted opens 3 routes, which one to take?
Old 28th March 2015, 09:55   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need an advice. Is Bangalore to Coorg and back possible in a day? Suppose if one starts at 3AM, by what time can he reach Coorg? How long can he spend there before starting back for Bangalore and reach by evening?

Also, kindly suggest good restaurants/viewpoints in Coorg. Thanks!
it is possible but will turn out to be hectic trip rather than enjoyable one. Since the mysore road highway normally has traffic and lot of speedbrakers which adds to the tiredness.

try for long weekend, for example going on friday and returning sunday (pls keep in mind traffic is v high on sunday afternoon)

the bare min. i would suggest atleast stay there for a night. No point in returning the same day as travel will eat up most of the time.
nikhil_pon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 16:00   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1686 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for all this help, ampere.

The link you posted opens 3 routes, which one to take?
I think I charted only one. May be the new Google maps gives options. I used the classic Google maps.

The route I mention: Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarsanthe-Holenarasipur-Channarayapatna-Kunigal-Nelamangala-Bangalore

Points E-F-G-H describe how to get to the freshly tarred road between Holenarasipur and Channarayapatna.
Old 29th March 2015, 15:30   #445
BHPian

Chennai - Coorg trip

I am planning a trip to Coorg from Chennai from 26th July to 1st August - 6 nights - we are 4 adults & 2 kids under 10.

We plan to break at Bangalore on the way to & fro to make the journey more comfortable & meet relatives there.

I am thinking of staying 3 nights near Madikere in a good plantation / homestay & then 3 nights near Nagarhole in a jungle lodge type accomodation. Or it can be 4 nights + 2 nights.

The idea is to cover both sides of Coorg comfortably & then also do Nagarhole/Kabini/Wayanad wildlife safaris.

I realize it will be monsoon period so we may not catch much wildlife, but this is the only time period we can do this trip - so we will take what we get.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th March 2015, 15:34   #446
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I realize it will be monsoon period so we may not catch much wildlife, but this is the only time period we can do this trip - so we will take what we get.
Monsoon is also a good time to cover this region. But yes, the jungle safari will get difficult. You can also break at Kabini. Not sure which are the good homestays. With regards to resorts, Kadkani on the banks of Cauvery is quite nice.
Old 29th March 2015, 16:06   #447
Senior - BHPian

The monsoons are perfect for a trip to Iruppu falls. I was there a few monsoons ago and the sight was something to behold. I stayed at "The JADE" homestay, with some superb hosts serving us some really nice vegetarian delicacies. Lovely trip and the homestay was very close to the falls.
Old 31st March 2015, 11:31   #448
Senior - BHPian

A bunch of us are planning to do a bangalore to Coorg trip in July, over a weekend. So I have a few queries.

1. We are about 7 of us and we're looking to book a self drive vehicle form Zoomcar. The options are a scorpio or the mahindra xuv. what do you recommend?

2. All of us will be flying into blore latest by 12pm on a Friday. so what would be the ideal time to start? How many hours of travel does it take?

3. July being the off season, owing to the rains, we are hoping for very reasonable tariffs. What would be the ideal place to stay if we want to explore coorg in its natural state? Do coffee plantations have cottages on hire? or something like a home stay? We'd prefer to taste the local flavours when it comes to the food.

thanks.
Old 31st March 2015, 11:34   #449
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
1. We are about 7 of us and we're looking to book a self drive vehicle form Zoomcar. The options are a scorpio or the mahindra xuv. what do you recommend?
With 7 of you, I am not sure if either Scorpio or the XUV will have luggage space. You may have to look at Innova too.
Old 31st March 2015, 19:50   #450
BHPian

@ampere and others
Planning for a Coorg trip from Chennai end of April.
Plan to stop at Mysore while going and at Bangalore while returning just to make the trip more enjoyable.
Could you suggest routes?
Planning to come to Hosur and take the Kanakapura exit on NICE and go to Mysore.
Is this OK?
How about return to Bangalore which route would you suggest, plan to stay near race course area.
In case we want to go to Mangalore what is the suggested route from Coorg and return to Chennai
Please keep in mind the ride is a low GC ANHC prone for underbody scrapings.
Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks