Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 21:41   #451
Team-BHP Support

Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Could you suggest routes?
Planning to come to Hosur and take the Kanakapura exit on NICE and go to Mysore.
Is this OK?
I would say stick to Mysore road. 2-lane Kanakapura would be more tiring. Plus you would want to look out for more breaks on the way past Bangalore. Mysore road would help that way.

Quote:
How about return to Bangalore which route would you suggest, plan to stay near race course area.
Come back via Hassan 4-lane. Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarsanthe-Holenarsipur-Channarayapatna-Kunigal-Nelamangala-Bangalore.

Reaching race course would be a pain. You are hitting the heart of the city. Hope you can make it before 5/6 PM.

Quote:
In case we want to go to Mangalore what is the suggested route from Coorg and return to Chennai
Please keep in mind the ride is a low GC ANHC prone for underbody scrapings.
Thanks in advance
Madikeri-Mangalore is quite nice and roads are fantastic. After closure of Shiradi ghat road, Madikeri-Mangalore is the default route for Bangalore-Mangalore.
The route is : Madikeri-Sulia-Jalasoor-Puttur-Mangalore

Chennai return would be the same. Mangalore-Bangalore-Chennai
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 22:06   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Planning to come to Hosur and take the Kanakapura exit on NICE and go to Mysore. Is this OK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say stick to Mysore road. 2-lane Kanakapura would be more tiring. Plus you would want to look out for more breaks on the way past Bangalore. Mysore road would help that way.
+1 to @ampers's recommendation. In spite of the speedbreakers and slow passage through towns, SH17 might be a better bet since no one has confirmed if the road work on the Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore sector (SH33) has been completed yet. And if the situation is anything similar to what existed a couple of months ago, that road would be terrible to drive on. (Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli is in very good shape, it's only the stretch past Malavalli that the road widening is in progress)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 00:11   #453
BHPian

Try serenewoods in Madikeri...superb property
Old 1st April 2015, 18:23   #454
BHPian

Friends,

Has any one done Hunsur - Chennarayapatna (via Krishnarajanagara - Holenarasipur)? May I know the route condition?

This is to avoid Mysore road while coming from Gonikoppal to Bangalore and I don't want to deviate to Madikeri / Kushalnagar

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:13   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Has any one done Hunsur - Chennarayapatna (via Krishnarajanagara - Holenarasipur)? May I know the route condition?
Hunsur - K.R.Nagara - Holenarasipura is in great condition. Just watch out for the occasional scientific speed breakers. Holenarasipura - Channarayapatna has a 2 km bad stretch. Check my post in the Mangalore route discussion thread for avoiding this bad stretch.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 2nd April 2015 at 10:14.
guyfrmblr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 08:10   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Chennai - Coorg trip

I realize it will be monsoon period so we may not catch much wildlife, but this is the only time period we can do this trip - so we will take what we get.
It will be one of the best times to visit. I always believe in visiting places know for their extreme, in this case high rainfall.

Add Mandalpatti and Thadiyandamol to your list if you are visiting during July. Its beautiful, but you might need a 4 x 4. Check with a local guy who can take you in a Jeep

Regards
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:00   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
A bunch of us are planning to do a bangalore to Coorg trip in July, over a weekend. So I have a few queries.

1. We are about 7 of us and we're looking to book a self drive vehicle form Zoomcar. The options are a scorpio or the mahindra xuv. what do you recommend?

2. All of us will be flying into blore latest by 12pm on a Friday. so what would be the ideal time to start? How many hours of travel does it take?

3. July being the off season, owing to the rains, we are hoping for very reasonable tariffs. What would be the ideal place to stay if we want to explore coorg in its natural state? Do coffee plantations have cottages on hire? or something like a home stay? We'd prefer to taste the local flavours when it comes to the food.

thanks.
1. Like Ampere suggested - the Innova miht be the way to go
2. If you all land at 12 noon, budget about 6 hours to reach Coorg by road - and good to reach Coorg friday night itself
3. July is perhaps one of the best seasons to visit the place - it will be lush green and the moist in the outdoors is something that is best experienced. I personally prefer the home stays, given the hospitality, hygiene and facilities and ofcourse, the authentic local foods. But recently, with family, i had stayed at Kadkani resorts. You can check this out too.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:45   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
1. Like Ampere suggested - the Innova miht be the way to go
2. If you all land at 12 noon, budget about 6 hours to reach Coorg by road - and good to reach Coorg friday night itself
3. July is perhaps one of the best seasons to visit the place - it will be lush green and the moist in the outdoors is something that is best experienced. I personally prefer the home stays, given the hospitality, hygiene and facilities and ofcourse, the authentic local foods. But recently, with family, i had stayed at Kadkani resorts. You can check this out too.
1. The folks at Zoomcar are not offering the innova for some reason. I'll check with them again. Any other self drive car rental service worth trying?
2. Yes. We do plan to reach coorg on Friday night. Everyone will be flying out of bangalore on sun night so I guess sunday morning we'll have to dash back to bangalore. Need to beat the late afternoon rush.

3. Home stay sounds good. We are particularly interested in trying out the local food. Any recommendations? or where can I start looking for one?
Old 3rd April 2015, 12:40   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. The folks at Zoomcar are not offering the innova for some reason. I'll check with them again. Any other self drive car rental service worth trying?
3. Home stay sounds good. We are particularly interested in trying out the local food. Any recommendations? or where can I start looking for one?
1. Not sure about other options. Maybe 2 Sedans from zoom?
3. I have stayed once at Casa Coorg and once at TheJade - Kutta. Both homestays. Else, "Kadkani" resort is also good
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 12:44   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
1. Not sure about other options. Maybe 2 Sedans from zoom?
3. I have stayed once at Casa Coorg and once at TheJade - Kutta. Both homestays. Else, "Kadkani" resort is also good
That takes the fun out as the group gets separated. Any specific reason why the scorpio isn't capable enough?

I'll look into those places. thanks.
Old 3rd April 2015, 13:58   #461
BHPian

Quote:
That takes the fun out as the group gets separated. Any specific reason why the scorpio isn't capable enough?

I'll look into those places. thanks.
1. Scorpio might not be comfortable for 7. XUV will be comfortable for 7 but has negligible luggage space with 3rd row up. Carzonrent offer Innovas but they take a refundable deposit on your card
2. You can try Berry Lane Homestay. It is in Ammathi village and is located in a plantation. The food is delicious with local flavors. The pork curry is to die for! I even learnt the recipe and tried it out. For 7, you could book both the deluxe rooms and you enjoy a great patio to hang out with the views. Here is the link- www.coorgberrylanehomestay.com

Last edited by luvurride : 3rd April 2015 at 14:08.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 16:14   #462
BHPian

Quote:
1. The folks at Zoomcar are not offering the innova for some reason. I'll check with them again. Any other self drive car rental ?
Try Avis, they got Innova, But I'm not sure if its pricing includes fuel though. Better check with them

My query
I'll be reaching Bangalore on Wednesday 8th Apr 8AM. I've booked Zoomcar for a Coorg trip. Booked a homestay at Arecad & Planning to start from Bangalore at 9:30-10AM towards

1. How far is Magnum Honda Yesvantpur, from Yesvantpur Rly station
2. is this the best Route
3. Any good Lunch options on this route
4. If better alternate route available

Hoping it's a good pleasant climate out in Coorg.
Arunshek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 21:54   #463
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
1. How far is Magnum Honda Yesvantpur, from Yesvantpur Rly station
2. is this the best Route
3. Any good Lunch options on this route
4. If better alternate route available
If you're referring to the Magnum Honda Service centre in Yesvantpur, I think it is about 4-5 Km from the Yesvantpur Railway station.

Coorg Route:
-Bangalore-Nelamangala on Tumkur Road (NH 4), the Yeswantpur Railway station is just off this road, so very easy.
-Turn left onto NH 48 (Look for Mangalore signage near Nelamangala).
-Turn off from NH 48 at Channarayapatna, go via Agrahara-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri (the straight road from Channarayapatna to Holenarasipura goes through a bad 2Km stretch near the Govt. Polytechnic so the detour via Agrahara and it is much more scenic too ). More details here

Alternate route is to go via Mysore:
Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri. You can get to Mysore Road from Yeshwathpur via NICE Road.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd April 2015 at 21:58.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 14:37   #464
BHPian

Dear team,

We will be driving(2 cars) to Ginger Homestay, Madikeri this Thursday from Bangalore at around 3/330PM. In the past few posts, the Kunigal-Channarayapatna-Holenarsipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet route has been recommended as against the regular Mysore route. Google maps also suggest the same route. Now that I have not traveled beyond Channarayapatna, I have below queries:
  1. How safe and convenient is this route, given that it might be dark the time we cross Channarayapatna?
  2. Good restaurants in Channarayapatna/Holenarispura for a evening snacks/coffee
  3. It seems it is a undivided highway beyond Channarayapatna, is there anything to be cautious from the oncoming vehicles especially buses/trucks?
Old 7th April 2015, 15:32   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.r View Post
[*]How safe and convenient is this route, given that it might be dark the time we cross Channarayapatna?[*]Good restaurants in Channarayapatna/Holenarispura for a evening snacks/coffee[*]It seems it is a undivided highway beyond Channarayapatna, is there anything to be cautious from the oncoming vehicles especially buses/trucks?
I had taken a slightly different route last Oct I guess (Hassan - Gorur - Arakalagund - Somwarapet), the reason I took this instead of Channarayapatana - Holenarasipur is since I wanted to visit Rosary church enroute.

For snacks you can stop at Mayura hotel located here.

Yes, it is a two lane road once you get off NH. However, traffic was very less compared to what you find on Mysore - Madikeri route. Also we did not notice any buses enroute. However, yes as anywhere do keen an eye for morons who come in wrong lane especially in turns.

I did no feel it was an unsafe route to travel in, the route mostly goes through fields / estate plantations. However, traveling in night means you will not be able to enjoy the scenery.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks