Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 22:12   #466
BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I had taken a slightly different route last Oct I guess (Hassan - Gorur - Arakalagund - Somwarapet), the reason I took this instead of Channarayapatana - Holenarasipur is since I wanted to visit Rosary church enroute.

For snacks you can stop at Mayura hotel located here.

Yes, it is a two lane road once you get off NH. However, traffic was very less compared to what you find on Mysore - Madikeri route. Also we did not notice any buses enroute. However, yes as anywhere do keen an eye for morons who come in wrong lane especially in turns.

I did no feel it was an unsafe route to travel in, the route mostly goes through fields / estate plantations. However, traveling in night means you will not be able to enjoy the scenery.
Yes, we will reach Channarayapattana around 630PM and therefore will not be able to enjoy the scenery just that we will have a relaxed drive right from Yeshwanthpur flyover.
Need another information on the road from Holenarsipura. Is there any instance to get down the road to allow oncoming heavy vehicle given that this is a undivided highway?
Old 7th April 2015, 22:22   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.r View Post
s there any instance to get down the road to allow oncoming heavy vehicle given that this is a undivided highway?
No need to worry about that. This is not a road which you can call a ghat road. It is just a twisty road which passes through plantation.
Roads are wide enough to allow two vehicles to cross. I don't recolect any section which would require you to get off the road to make way for oncoming traffic.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 02:20   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.r View Post
Dear team,

We will be driving(2 cars) to Ginger Homestay, Madikeri this Thursday from Bangalore at around 3/330PM. In the past few posts, the Kunigal-Channarayapatna-Holenarsipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet route has been recommended as against the regular Mysore route. Google maps also suggest the same route. Now that I have not traveled beyond Channarayapatna, I have below queries:
  1. How safe and convenient is this route, given that it might be dark the time we cross Channarayapatna?
  2. Good restaurants in Channarayapatna/Holenarispura for a evening snacks/coffee
  3. It seems it is a undivided highway beyond Channarayapatna, is there anything to be cautious from the oncoming vehicles especially buses/trucks?
Answers to your questions below:
1. The route is safe but very remote, the Mysore -Madikeri is much safer as it is more populated until you reach Madikeri. You also have plenty of eat/convenience stops in this route compared to CR Patna route. Negative on the Mysore route - slow due to traffic, with plenty of speed humps as added bonus!!
2. Channarayapatna will be a better option since it is a bigger town, but you will find only road side shops. At least I couldn't spot any decent stuff when I searched. There is a CCD on the 4 lane before you reach CR Patna. Hotel Maurya is much before that.
3. Just be generally cautious when you normally would when you drive a twisty ghat road. It will be really deserted in the last leg of Somwarpet-Madikeri.

I see that your homestay is located in the Madikeri-Siddapura road. No worries there on this as well, since the roads are good. You might have to talk to them to exactly spot the sign to turn off from the main road since you will get there in the night with no soul to ask for help.

Last edited by luvurride : 8th April 2015 at 02:21.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 19:55   #469
Senior - BHPian

Planning to drive from Bangalore to Gonikoppal this weekend or maybe the next. Any updates on the condition of the Hunsur to Virajpet route, i.e. the left fork of the Y Junction immediately after Hunsur? Is this the best route to get to Gonikoppal, in terms of best road condition?

Would be great if latest update on the route can be provided by members.

Thanks!!
Old 8th April 2015, 20:44   #470
BHPian

During my July end trip to Coorg I want to stay for some time at Club Mahindra & the rest near Nagarhole/Madikeri/Wayanad borders.

Can anyone recommend a decent place? I am either finding very high end safari resorts or unknown ones. Suggestions?
Old 8th April 2015, 23:01   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Planning to drive from Bangalore to Gonikoppal this weekend or maybe the next. Any updates on the condition of the Hunsur to Virajpet route, i.e. the left fork of the Y Junction immediately after Hunsur? Is this the best route to get to Gonikoppal, in terms of best road condition?

Would be great if latest update on the route can be provided by members.

Thanks!!
Yes, this is the best as it has been fixed and relaid as per the Bangalore-Kannur route thread.
Old 9th April 2015, 10:32   #472
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
During my July end trip to Coorg I want to stay for some time at Club Mahindra & the rest near Nagarhole/Madikeri/Wayanad borders.

Can anyone recommend a decent place?
Mayura Valley View in Madikeri owned by the KSTDC is good, it is in the town near Rajah's Seat/Omkareshwara temple. When we visited in 2011/12 it had been renovated and facilities were excellent.
Old 9th April 2015, 10:57   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Mayura Valley View in Madikeri owned by the KSTDC is good, it is in the town near Rajah's Seat/Omkareshwara temple. When we visited in 2011/12 it had been renovated and facilities were excellent.
NPV - I believe he is already booked at Club Mahindra in Madikeri and wants help with Nagarhole. Probably the 'Madikeri' thrown in alongside Nagarhole/Wayanad is a little confusing.

Quote:

Can anyone recommend a decent place? I am either finding very high end safari resorts or unknown ones. Suggestions?
AFAIK, all near Kabini are pricey high end resorts. I do see a 'JungleInn' to be pretty reasonable, but don't have or heard of any firsthand experiences. Maybe others in the forum can throw some light.
Old 9th April 2015, 16:17   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
During my July end trip to Coorg I want to stay for some time at Club Mahindra
While booking / driving make sure you have the full name with you. There are two Club Mahindra resorts around Coorg.

Regarding stay, if you are intrested in safari ones I would suggest Jungle Lodges & resorts - Kabani. Though bit pricey, in end it will be the almost same compared to other resorts thanks to safari charges others have extra.

However, since your trip is planned in monsoon season animal sightings may be less.

Few other stay options in this area which has good reviews on TBHP.

Jungle retreat Wayanad.

Another travelogues with JLR and Jungle retreat pics.

Mykkara homestay
Old 19th April 2015, 14:09   #475
BHPian

Hi everyone,
I'm planning a trip to Coorg in May. I have the option of driving or going by bus from Bangalore. I have driven only around 6000 kilometres of highway driving till date and have never driven on ghat sections. Is it advisable for me to take up the drive till Madikeri (from there I would prefer to use local taxis for sightseeing )

Thanks in advance
Old 19th April 2015, 16:35   #476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm planning a trip to Coorg in May. I have the option of driving or going by bus from Bangalore. I have driven only around 6000 kilometres of highway driving till date and have never driven on ghat sections. Is it advisable for me to take up the drive till Madikeri (from there I would prefer to use local taxis for sightseeing )

Thanks in advance
Its not that difficult to drive to Coorg. Its actually quite simple. The only negativity is the amount of traffic if you take the Mysore road. Else its quite easy. And over time, with little amount of care and vigilance, weekend highway drives can become quite a stress buster. But yes, you do need to take care and be vigilant. (Not wanting to scare you!)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 18:17   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
I'm planning a trip to Coorg in May. I have the option of driving or going by bus from Bangalore. I have driven only around 6000 kilometres of highway driving till date and have never driven on ghat sections. Is it advisable for me to take up the drive till Madikeri (from there I would prefer to use local taxis for sightseeing

Hi, we have driven several times from Bangalore to Coorg and back, the most recent one about 10th March this year. If you exit out of Bangalore city early (before 8 am latest), you will enjoy your drive. We took the Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Madikere route and back by the same route. While the number of speed breakers are unbelievably too many (counted 110 speed brakers and about 9 barricades) for this distance, you can still drive comfortably. Almost all the well known restaurant chains and brands are open on this route and hence eating cuisine of your choice should not be a problem. My view is that Coorg and Madikere are not crowded and hence you can drive yourself for local sightseeing. However you can always hire local taxis if you wish to. Just one word of caution - have noticed multiple times local traffic police challanning vehicles for traffic violations, near Madikeri. I paid a fine for having crossed the prescribed speed limit once.
Krishnan V G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 14:44   #478
BHPian

I'm planning a trip to Coorg with my better half sometime soon. We are not keen on visiting crowded tourist spots, but would like to have more of a very relaxed outing and spice it up with some water sports. Any suggestions on the most romantic home stays or resorts out there? We are looking in the range of around 5K per night. And any spots we must avoid and that we must visit?
Old 24th April 2015, 19:41   #479
BHPian

@ampere thanks for the help.
Will follow your suggestions.
How bad are the speed breakers in the mysore road.
I mean are they high or they the usual ones but too many.
I am worried about the size and the number as my car is highly prone for underbody scrapings in speed breakers.

What is the ideal timing to avoid housr road congestion.
How will it be if I reach around 10:30 on a working day.
I guess I have to be in the service road and proceed to take the NICE road to go to Mysore road exit (not take the elevated road).

While going from Holenarsipur to Channarayapatna, I believe there is a detour suggested by guyfromblr to avoid a stretch of bad roads (route 8 google maps).
Could you tell me some landmark at Holenasipur to take this detour (route 121 in google maps).

Also while coming from Nelamangla I plan to take the MES ring road shown in google map and then get off at Bellary road intersection to reach race course road.
Is this OK?
Thanks in Advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say stick to Mysore road. 2-lane Kanakapura would be more tiring. Plus you would want to look out for more breaks on the way past Bangalore. Mysore road would help that way.

Come back via Hassan 4-lane. Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarsanthe-Holenarsipur-Channarayapatna-Kunigal-Nelamangala-Bangalore.

Reaching race course would be a pain. You are hitting the heart of the city. Hope you can make it before 5/6 PM.

Madikeri-Mangalore is quite nice and roads are fantastic. After closure of Shiradi ghat road, Madikeri-Mangalore is the default route for Bangalore-Mangalore.
The route is : Madikeri-Sulia-Jalasoor-Puttur-Mangalore

Chennai return would be the same. Mangalore-Bangalore-Chennai
Old 24th April 2015, 21:13   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
While going from Holenarsipur to Channarayapatna, I believe there is a detour suggested by guyfromblr to avoid a stretch of bad roads (route 8 google maps).
Could you tell me some landmark at Holenasipur to take this detour (route 121 in google maps).
One of the member has reported in another thread that the 2 km of bad stretch near Holenarasipura is repaired. You can take the normal route.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks