Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2015, 15:57   #481
BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Booked a stay in Coorg Lagoon resort (Harangi Backwater, Herur, Kushalnagar) for coming weekend. Would start from Ramamurthy Nagar on Thursday early morning.
Google map suggesting the below route,

Bangalore->Nelamangala->Kunigal->CR Patna->Holenarasipur->Arakalagud->Ramanathapura->Konanur->Kushalnagar.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ra...2.472155?hl=en

How is the road condition on this route? Is there any better alternative other than BLR-MYS route?
Old 26th April 2015, 19:39   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
I have driven only around 6000 kilometres of highway driving till date and have never driven on ghat sections. Is it advisable for me to take up the drive till Madikeri
I have driven for <4k Km altogether since I learnt to drive. Blore-Coorg via CR Patna was my first HW drive > 100Km.
There are mild ghat sections and few inclines on the route. The roads are wide and in good, superb actually, condition.
It was a learning experience for me. I thoroughly enjoyed driving on the smooth curves.
Just keep to speeds that you and your machine are comfortable with, take time to get a feel of driving on them inclines, declines and curves. I am sure you will enjoy the drive.

OT:
In case anyone is interested, I stayed at Euro Valley Homestay and had a pleasant experience. My review can be found on this TripAdvisor link.
Old 27th April 2015, 18:01   #483
Team-BHP Support

Sorry missed this post of yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
mean are they high or they the usual ones but too many.I am worried about the size and the number as my car is highly prone for underbody scrapings in speed breakers.
Yes there are many, but I think you should be OK.

Quote:
What is the ideal timing to avoid housr road congestion.
How will it be if I reach around 10:30 on a working day.
I guess I have to be in the service road and proceed to take the NICE road to go to Mysore road exit (not take the elevated road).
Its difficult to say that. The first morning hour is a huge rush. May be 11'sih would be a good time. (This is just a guess work.). But I think over all its not bad. Start early from Chennai and you should be good.

Quote:
While going from Holenarsipur to Channarayapatna, I believe there is a detour suggested by guyfromblr to avoid a stretch of bad roads (route 8 google maps).
Could you tell me some landmark at Holenasipur to take this detour (route 121 in google maps).

Also while coming from Nelamangla I plan to take the MES ring road shown in google map and then get off at Bellary road intersection to reach race course road.
Is this OK?
Thanks in Advance.
As @guyfrmblr mentioned they have fixed the basic route. So you should be OK.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 11:02   #484
BHPian

Hi guys, thinking of taking a break in coorg during the monsoons, in mid June.

We are 3 families, with one infant and another toddler. We will be driving from Mangalore and are planning to spend 2 nights there.

I have never been to coorg before, so guys please suggest a few places. Our budget will be around 4-5k per room per night.

We plan to mostly relax in the room, and maybe do a little traveling.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Note from Support - Post edited. Posts containing mention of alcohol is not allowed. Please read the forum rules before submitting any more posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 4th May 2015 at 10:55.
Old 28th April 2015, 11:35   #485
BHPian

Just returned from an extended weekend trip to Coorg. Stayed at Club Mahindra, Virajpet.

Took the usual SH17. We left at 7 am and reached the resort at 12.30 with a couple of breaks. The road is very good all through and after Mysore light traffic, heavenly weather and great roads made the journey fantastic.

The resort is one of CMs newer resorts and is very well planned and nice and clean. There are not many activities as compared with CM Madikeri but the pool and the views are simply unbeatable. Carry your own food (if you have a kitchenette in the room) else the food is expensive and very average quality at the resort and nearest you can get anything is about 10kms away at Virajpet.

The route I took:

Malleswaram > Nice Road > SH17 > Hunsur bypass > Gonikoppal > Virajpet > CM, Virajpet
Old 4th May 2015, 08:05   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Hi guys, thinking of taking a break in coorg during the monsoons, in mid June.

I have never been to coorg before, so guys please suggest a few places. Our budget will be around 4-5k per room per night.

We plan to mostly relax in the room, and maybe do a little traveling and of course need to pick up some good wine.

Thanks a lot in advance.
With a budget of 4-5K, you can try in Club Mahindra, Madikeri. The off season would have just started and rain just setting in. Club Mahindra is located 4 KMs from Madikeri City

Regards

Note from Support - Post edited. Posts containing mention of alcohol is not allowed. Please read the forum rules before submitting any more posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 4th May 2015 at 10:55.
Old 16th May 2015, 07:38   #487
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Bangalore->Nelamangala->Kunigal->CR Patna->Holenarasipur->Arakalagud->Ramanathapura->Konanur->Kushalnagar.
Anyone tried this recently? How is the road condition?
Old 18th May 2015, 23:42   #488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here is the answer I think you were looking for.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3709881

EDIT: Realised its a different route. But still may be helpful. As it reduces twisties.

Last edited by ampere : 18th May 2015 at 23:50.
Old 19th May 2015, 11:49   #489
RYP
BHPian

We a bunch of 7 friends are planning BLR> Coorg> BLR for a quick weekend ride on 30th & 31st May.

Plan was to leave BLR at 6AM and reach Madikeri around 5PM with some River Rafting (suggestions) and stuff planned in between. Will leave Coorg the next day around 4PM via Arakalagud>Holenarasipur>Neelamangala>BLR

Can anyone suggest a good homestay in and around Madikeri, with a budget of 3-4k for one night.
Old 19th May 2015, 15:28   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Samurai, I think I spotted you on the NH48 on Saturday morning (KA 20 reg, White GV with Got Bhp? sticker). If it was you, I talied you from Kirisave toll booth till you turned towards CR Patna town.

Assuming you were headed to Manipal, how come you went towards CR Patna?
Old 19th May 2015, 15:32   #491
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Samurai, I think I spotted you on the NH48 on Saturday morning (KA 20 reg, White GV with Got Bhp? sticker). If it was you, I talied you from Kirisave toll booth till you turned towards CR Patna town.

Assuming you were headed to Manipal, how come you went towards CR Patna?
That's why he asked the road to Madikeri, he was headed there.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 16:24   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That's why he asked the road to Madikeri, he was headed there.
Thanks Vid, I was wondering why he was taking this route to Manipal. Now that I know his destination was Madikeri, it makes sense
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 08:46   #493
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Please provide some recommendations for good resort in Coorg.
I am planning to go there in last week of September. Actually I am confused between Coorg and Wayanad. Will the weather be okay or can it rain heavily during end-September?

Budget : around 5-7K per night (excluding food).

Looking for a resort with some good natural surroundings and nice views ...and some activities within the resort to keep the kid busy.

I was trying for CLub Mahindra Madikeri but that looks sold out.
There is another CLub Mahinda in Virajpet but not sure how good that is.

Taj and Orange County are out of budget.

Few options I am considering -
http://www.heritageresortcoorg.com/

http://www.kadkani.com/

http://www.coorgcliffsresort.com/

http://www.amanvanaspa.com/

Please suggest.
Any other recommendation is also welcome.

Also, I am seeing that many resorts are quite far away from Madikeri - KushalNagar, Pollibetta .. Is it okay to stay in those places or stay closer to Madikeri?

Also, considering 3 nights/4 days stay, what could be a possible itinerary?
I am thinking - Tibetan monastery, Raja seat, Mandalpatty, Kotey Abbey falls.
Is it worth going to Dubare elephant camp?

Any plantation tours available which might be interesting?

Last edited by adimicra : 1st August 2015 at 09:04.
Old 1st August 2015, 15:02   #494
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Please provide some recommendations for good resort in Coorg.
I am planning to go there in last week of September. Actually I am confused between Coorg and Wayanad. Will the weather be okay or can it rain heavily during end-September?
Madikeri is kind of central to visit some of the places. You can look at KSTDC's Mayura Valley View which is almost next door to Rajah Seat.
There is Windflower between Kushalnagar and Madikeri, not sure about tariffs though. Also, Coorg International in Madikeri may be an option.
*If you wish to be in Coorg but away from all the regular places, you can look at Kadkani resorts near Virajpet.

If you do plan to be around Madikeri, you could visit the Tibetan monastery at Bylakuppe, Dubare elephant camp (check timings, early mornings will be good as you get a chance to bathe elephants and kids will love it).
Other places are Raja seat, Abbey Falls, Madikeri fort, Harangi Dam, Tala cauvery, maybe even Baghamandala.
Old 1st August 2015, 15:47   #495
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

^^

Thanks a lot, NPV.

After some reshuffling of dates, I am able to get accommodation in Club Mahindra and Windflower. Among these two, which one will be the preferred one? Windflower is slightly costlier (15-20%) but seems like a better option to me.

For Coorg sightseeing, this is what I have in mind
- Mandalpatty - the top priority (plan to hire a jeep)
- Kotey Abbey falls
- Irupppu/Abbey falls
- Tibetan monaastery
- Dubare elephant camp.

I am not so sure about Tala cauvery as I have heard not so good feedback.
Also, plan to take some walks within the plantations.
Raja Seat will anyway be covered as it is the center of Madikeri.

Does the plan sound good?
Should I go ahead with Windflower?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks