Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2016, 09:45   #571
BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yes this is one of the resorts as part of purple club offer. In fact, my trip was also as part of the offer. You can see resort pics in travelogue link shared by in post above.

Do note that there are two club Mahindra resorts in Coorg - Madikeri and Virajpet.

Regarding travel time, monsoon usually hits Coorg by first week of June. You will find July also rainy, however personally I find that time best to visit anywhere around Western Ghats is around July - September. It's all green and lesser crowds.
Hi

I urgently need some route advice please.
I am driving up from Kozhikode to Madikeri. I believe there are two routes - 1. via thalassery- irrity- virajpet
2. via Vythiri- manathavady- gonikoppal

I am traveling with my family, includes women and children. Any advice regarding which route is better, more so taking into consideration, the need for rest-room stops etc, when traveling with family.

I have quoted Suhas becos, I saw KL-11 on profile. Any team members who have done these routes recently, please help.

Cheerio.
Old 20th May 2016, 14:27   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Hi

I urgently need some route advice please.
I am driving up from Kozhikode to Madikeri. I believe there are two routes - 1. via thalassery- irrity-
Road wise Irrity Virajpet has better road. I had travelled through Kalpetta Mananthavady route last weekend and road though doable is bit rough between Mananthavady and Panamaram.

However since you are driving down from KL08/ KL07 I guess it's best to take Calicut Kalpetta Mananthavady route since it would be faster.

There are numerous food options on this road till Kalpetta. If possible try out Puttu and Kadala at White house hotel on your right soon after Engapuzha.
Old 20th May 2016, 16:17   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Road wise Irrity Virajpet has better road. I had travelled through Kalpetta Mananthavady route last weekend and road though doable is bit rough between Mananthavady and Panamaram.

However since you are driving down from KL08/ KL07 I guess it's best to take Calicut Kalpetta Mananthavady route since it would be faster.

There are numerous food options on this road till Kalpetta. If possible try out Puttu and Kadala at White house hotel on your right soon after Engapuzha.
Thank you very much for that timely advice.
I think I will take the Iritty Virajpet route on the 'to' journey and will take the manathavady-Vythiri route on the return.

This is the thing I lurve about Team-Bhp , robust useful advice is never far away. But I guess like any other good forum, its the people which make it that bit special.
Cheerio!.
Old 20th May 2016, 17:28   #574
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
To All the experienced travelers @TBHP I would like you to pour in your suggesting regarding the tentative planning(be it time estimate or routes or eateries recommedations) that I have chalked out as below.
Some comments:
Day 1 looks too busy and quite optimistic. You haven't planned a breakfast stop,are you packing food to have on the way in order to save time ?
Past 5pm may be too late to visit Madikeri fort, it may even be closed, so check the timings.

Day 2
Mandalpatti I think needs travel by 4x4 vehicles, have you got the details ? If you have older people in your travel group it may be tough doing this.

Day 3
1 hour for the visit to Dubare elephant camp is too less and the best time to visit is early morning before 8am.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 11:20   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Some comments:
Day 1 looks too busy and quite optimistic. You haven't planned a breakfast stop,are you packing food to have on the way in order to save time ?
Past 5pm may be too late to visit Madikeri fort, it may even be closed, so check the timings.

Day 2
Mandalpatti I think needs travel by 4x4 vehicles, have you got the details ? If you have older people in your travel group it may be tough doing this.

Day 3
1 hour for the visit to Dubare elephant camp is too less and the best time to visit is early morning before 8am.
Many thanks.
I am planning for breakfast stop at Hasan.I hope to reach there by 8:30 - 9:00 if I start from blr at 5.Heard that the road is very good and doing speed of 110-120 will not be an issue.
Any good place that you recommend for breakfast would be great.
For Mandalpetti I am thinking to hire jeep at the start of the ascent.I saw it costs around 1K as per reviews trip advisor.Not sure if those people would charge me higher for not speaking in Kannada.
Old 22nd May 2016, 12:21   #576
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning for breakfast stop at Hasan.
Any good place that you recommend for breakfast would be great.
You may want to try Buffet breakfast at Hoysala Village Resort(https://goo.gl/maps/vvVZCrEJQpp) just after you have cleared hassan town and are towards Belur. Convenient to stop by and park, will be on drive-hand side bang on Belur road, quick access to restaurant, quality food and nice place.
Throtttle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 17:02   #577
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks.
I am planning for breakfast stop at Hasan.I hope to reach there by 8:30 - 9:00 if I start from blr at 5.Heard that the road is very good and doing speed of 110-120 will not be an issue.
Any good place that you recommend for breakfast
Lots of options from yediyur onwards, choose based on your progress and state of hunger . Some of the places are:

- Swathi delicacy, yediyur on right side.

- Mayura, bellur cross on left side

- A2B at Udayapura on left side

- Even Hoysala Village Resort is an option on Hassan-Belur road.

*Note:there may be fog in the nelamangala-yediyur section. Keep speeds in check when visibility is bad, some of the bridges may have expansion joints and curves that can get you by surprise, be alert.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd May 2016 at 21:41. Reason: As requested + spacing.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 19:20   #578
BHPian

I am planning a Banglore - Mysore - Coorg trip during September. Shall I plan 3 nights in Coorg or 2 and Can Mysore be covered in 1 day?

Which is a better place to stay? Kushalnagar, Madikeri or Pollibetta?

Last edited by Adi_k : 12th June 2016 at 19:23. Reason: Question about location
Old 12th June 2016, 20:42   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
Shall I plan 3 nights in Coorg or 2 and Can Mysore be covered in 1 day?

Which is a better place to stay? Kushalnagar, Madikeri or Pollibetta?
Coorg is a district with many towns and length of stay depends on how much you want to cover it. Usually one area of Coorg is planned at a time.

Kushalnagar is plains and hills start at Suntikoppa. Around or off Madikeri is typical way to start exploring Coorg. 2 nights can be ok for Madikeri area of Coorg, however it is majorly individual preference & context dependent, based on amount of sight seeing pre-planned and how laid-back one wants to keep the overall stay.

Mysore can be covered in a day but realistically it finishes late in the day and if one is not returning Bangalore post finishing late, proceeding to next destination same day may not be practical and apt/relaxed option is to start next morning from Mysore.
Old 28th June 2016, 11:43   #580
BHPian

Hii guys need some help. I will be travelling along with wife, mother and twin 1 year olds around 17th July from Mumbai to Coorg. Since we are travelling with babies would like to cap the limit of daily travelling to about 300 kms. We also want to do Bangalore on this drive. Kindly suggest route / stops at 300 kms intervals with decent hotel arrangements (bigger cities). Also return would be via Bangalore. We have kept about 12 days-15 days estimate for the entire trip.
Would request inputs from all fellow members.
Thanks!
Old 28th June 2016, 12:21   #581
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Since we are travelling with babies would like to cap the limit of daily travelling to about 300 kms. We also want to do Bangalore on this drive. Kindly suggest route / stops at 300 kms intervals with decent hotel arrangements (bigger cities). Also return would be via Bangalore. We have kept about 12 days-15 days estimate for the entire trip.
*Assuming you want to do Mumbai-Bangalore-Madikeri

I would suggest considering an increase in driving distance per day at least for Mumbai-Bangalore so that you can stop at Belgaum (almost mid-way between Mumbai-Bangalore) overnight and reach Bangalore the next day by late afternoon/early evening starting from Belgaum in the morning.
Bangalore-Madikeri (Coorg is a district so I'm assuming you will go to Madikeri) is under 300Km and you should be able to do it in 6-7 hours worst case if you choose your timing properly.

Last edited by NPV : 28th June 2016 at 12:23.
Old 28th June 2016, 12:56   #582
BHPian

Quote:
*Assuming you want to do Mumbai-Bangalore-Madikeri

I would suggest considering an increase in driving distance per day at least for Mumbai-Bangalore so that you can stop at Belgaum (almost mid-way between Mumbai-Bangalore) overnight and reach Bangalore the next day by late afternoon/early evening starting from Belgaum in the morning.
Bangalore-Madikeri (Coorg is a district so I'm assuming you will go to Madikeri) is under 300Km and you should be able to do it in 6-7 hours worst case if you choose your timing properly.
Hii NPV thanks for the information.Yes madikeri is planned in Coorg. The route i was planning was limited to shorter distances to accommodate the twins who may get restless on too long a drive. Bangalore is planned on the return journey.
The route im planning is
MUMBAI-KOLHAPUR-DAVENGERE-MADIKERI ( 1 night each and 2 nights in madikeri)
MADIKERI-MYSORE-BANGALORE (1 night and 2 nights in MGR and BLR resp.)
BANGALORE-HUBLI-MUMBAI ( 1 night in Hubli)
Any help on above route from NPV and others is welcome.
Any inputs on places to see in madikeri/ mysore

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 28th June 2016 at 12:58.
Old 28th June 2016, 13:33   #583
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The route im planning is
This seems fine if you want to do under 400Km a day My inputs here:

-Not sure of hotels for Kolhapur

-For Davangere you can consider Apoorva Resorts, it's right beside the highway

-For Madikeri, consider Coorg International or the KSTDC Mayura, there are others as well away from the town like Windflower, etc

-For Mysore, there are several good hotels - Kings Kourt, Royal Orchid, Sandesh the prince, etc. Several other pricey ones as well

-Places to see in and around Madikeri: Rajah's seat, Madikeri Fort, Abbey Falls, Omkareshwara temple. There are other places like Bhagamandala, Talacauvery which can be done as day trips but may be difficult with the children

-On the Madikeri-Mysore route you can visit Dubare Elephant camp, Cauvery Nisarghadhama, Tibetan monastery at Bylakuppe

-Mysore - several palaces, the Brindavan gardens, Karanji Lake, Zoo, Chamundi hills

-Hubli - Clarks Inn is one option for overnight stay
Old 28th June 2016, 16:33   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Hii NPV thanks for the information.Yes madikeri is planned in Coorg. The route i was planning was limited to shorter distances to accommodate the twins who may get restless on too long a drive. Bangalore is planned on the return journey.
The route im planning is
What time you are starting and from where in Mumbai ? I see your location as MH 02 which means Kolhapur is surely around 380-390 kms. Sorry, I am very busy,so will talk only about Kolhapur. Other BHPians have already pitched in, so no worries for you.

Kolhapur is an awesome city with umpteen superb hotels and great food. Most of these are located in and around Station road (NH 204) which is nothing but a multilane road that leads you from NH4 into city. My top recommendations for stay are--

1. Hotel Raysons Regency
2. Hotel Opal ( my personal most favourite, especially their dining section. Every Maharashtrian would attest to the fact that Opal in Kolhapur is a great place with lipsmacking food. Their "thalis" are mind blowing be it veg or non veg. Very clean restaurant with great service. I have never been disappointed even once here out of some 10 visits. To get to Opal, you need to turn left once you reach Tararani chowk/circle/Kawala naka on Station road. Some part of the hotel is under construction, mostly for a new block.
3.Hotel Atria
4.Hotel Panchshil executive

These are just few ones else Kolhapur has many more awesome hotels. Once you reach this Kawala naka and explore around, you will see plenty of hotels suiting every budget. There is a 5 star too named Hotel Sayaji next to DYP city mall, on the same road as Hotel Opal. Whichever hotel you check in around Tararani chowk, next day head via Military area-Shivaji university to exit Kolhapur and touch NH4. No problem even if you take same road you came by previous day, but the one I mentioned is a standard and THE road to take if you intend to exit Kolhapur and head South.

Start early morning and visit the beautiful Mahalaxmi temple at Kolhapur in the evening after checking into hotel.

Did you say 17th July Sunday ?? Monsoon would have fairly set in by then and Sahyadris would have turned into lush green heaven with umpteen waterfalls. Needless to say, half of Mumbai-Pune folks that day would be out on highways. Right from Expressway till Pune--Wai--Kolhapur stretch, traffic will be soaringly high !!

Last edited by vivek95 : 28th June 2016 at 16:50. Reason: Spelling error and additional content
Old 28th June 2016, 17:51   #585
BHPian

Quote:
This seems fine if you want to do under 400Km a day My inputs here:

-Not sure of hotels for Kolhapur

-For Davangere you can consider Apoorva Resorts, it's right beside the highway

-For Madikeri, consider Coorg International or the KSTDC Mayura, there are others as well away from the town like Windflower, etc

-For Mysore, there are several good hotels - Kings Kourt, Royal Orchid, Sandesh the prince, etc. Several other pricey ones as well

-Places to see in and around Madikeri: Rajah's seat, Madikeri Fort, Abbey Falls, Omkareshwara temple. There are other places like Bhagamandala, Talacauvery which can be done as day trips but may be difficult with the children

-On the Madikeri-Mysore route you can visit Dubare Elephant camp, Cauvery Nisarghadhama, Tibetan monastery at Bylakuppe

-Mysore - several palaces, the Brindavan gardens, Karanji Lake, Zoo, Chamundi hills

-Hubli - Clarks Inn is one option for overnight stay

Yup npv that's exactly the plan 400kms / 6 hours a day. Apoorva resorts is highly recommended by many and will be considered.
Thanks for all the other information it's very useful.
We will stick to the places close around mandikeri as you have mentioned would like to avoid venturing out too much with kids. Visited mysore as a child and excited to show the family all the places there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
What time you are starting and from where in Mumbai ? I see your location as MH 02 which means Kolhapur is surely around 380-390 kms. Sorry, I am very busy,so will talk only about Kolhapur. Other BHPians have already pitched in, so no worries for you.

Kolhapur is an awesome city with umpteen superb hotels and great food. Most of these are located in and around Station road (NH 204) which is nothing but a multilane road that leads you from NH4 into city. My top recommendations for stay are--

1. Hotel Raysons Regency
2. Hotel Opal ( my personal most favourite, especially their dining section. Every Maharashtrian would attest to the fact that Opal in Kolhapur is a great place with lipsmacking food. Their "thalis" are mind blowing be it veg or non veg. Very clean restaurant with great service. I have never been disappointed even once here out of some 10 visits. To get to Opal, you need to turn left once you reach Tararani chowk/circle/Kawala naka on Station road. Some part of the hotel is under construction, mostly for a new block.
3.Hotel Atria
4.Hotel Panchshil executive

These are just few ones else Kolhapur has many more awesome hotels. Once you reach this Kawala naka and explore around, you will see plenty of hotels suiting every budget. There is a 5 star too named Hotel Sayaji next to DYP city mall, on the same road as Hotel Opal. Whichever hotel you check in around Tararani chowk, next day head via Military area-Shivaji university to exit Kolhapur and touch NH4. No problem even if you take same road you came by previous day, but the one I mentioned is a standard and THE road to take if you intend to exit Kolhapur and head South.

Start early morning and visit the beautiful Mahalaxmi temple at Kolhapur in the evening after checking into hotel.

Did you say 17th July Sunday ?? Monsoon would have fairly set in by then and Sahyadris would have turned into lush green heaven with umpteen waterfalls. Needless to say, half of Mumbai-Pune folks that day would be out on highways. Right from Expressway till Pune--Wai--Kolhapur stretch, traffic will be soaringly high !!

Thanks vivek for the info. I agree with opal hotel as that's one place out of the lot I've actually staying albeit many years back. Your comment on Sunday departure from Mumbai makes complete sense. Will reconsider and probably leave Monday instead.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks