Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2014, 14:21   #226
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Shirdi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say dont drive it in a single day. Later in the day, it becomes quite a bad ordeal. You may be able to do it, but to me its not worth the effort. You can break at Kolhapur for the first day (thats what I did too). And what you get in return? That day evening you can visit the Mahalakshmi temple.
(You can drive till Pune and break too)

Similarly I drove back to Belgaum Sankam, where I holed out for the night.
As far as roads are concerned, there are three parts.
- Amazing 4-lane till Pune.
- Painfully crossing Pune (Parag gave me a perfect way to cross Pune. It would easily take 1-2 hours)
- And the last 200 km (Pune-Nagar-Shirdi).

Its the last stretch that takes away the pleasure of driving. Pune-Nagar is worse than Bangalore-Mysrore. Its another 90 km from Nagar. And the roads are pathetic when you near Shirdi. Amazing pot-holed 4-lane! Never seen such a road. Pune-Nagar is very good, but has lots of traffic.

So if you combine all, then we are talking 12-13 hours to Pune another 4 hours to Shirdi and another 2 to cross Pune. Thats why I said, not worth it to drive in a single day.

If you plan to visit Aurangabad/Ajanta/Ellore, be prepared for another round of bad roads. Though I read recently that the Aurangabad-Vaijapur-Kopargaon section has been fixed.

Hotels: Kamats galore on NH4 (Dobbaspet/Ranebennur/Hubli/Dharwad.
Stay Part: Opal/Raysons in Kolhapur, Sankam in Belgaum
Smilestone near Shirur just before Nagar. Nice food court with a Coffee Day.
@Ampere: Based on the route you suggested, I have decided to halt at Kolhapur and then head to Shirdi early next morning (around 6am). When I keyed in the suggested route in google maps, it gave me the direction shown below. Can you guys please confirm if this is the correct diversion that needs to be taken to bypass Pune or suggest otherwise (the map shows diversion to take right from AH47 to Swargate just before the tunnel. Is this the correct diversion (2nd image highlights the diversion towards Khatraj ghat rd)?
Bangalore to Shirdi : Route Queries-kolhapurshirdi.jpg

Diversion towards Khatraj ghat rd

Bangalore to Shirdi : Route Queries-kolhapurshirdi-01.jpg
Old 17th June 2014, 14:43   #227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
@Ampere: Based on the route you suggested, I have decided to halt at Kolhapur and then head to Shirdi early next morning (around 6am). When I keyed in the suggested route in google maps, it gave me the direction shown below. Can you guys please confirm if this is the correct diversion that needs to be taken to bypass Pune or suggest otherwise (the map shows diversion to take right from AH47 to Swargate just before the tunnel. Is this the correct diversion (2nd image highlights the diversion towards Khatraj ghat rd)?
Attachment 1250939

Diversion towards Khatraj ghat rd

Attachment 1250940

This is what you do: Route Link

(This is what Parag had suggested. Follow this blindly!). It would take about 90 minujtes to cross Pune. There is no bypass to Nagar road.

Basically dont take Katraj, but go past the via duct on NH4 and come back via old Mumbai-Pune highway. Then drive via Swargate on to Solapur road. Exit this road further and cut to Nagar road.

The last point that I marked in the link is a place called Smile Stone. A very good place to break.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 17:21   #228
BHPian

Quote:
This is what you do: Route Link

(This is what Parag had suggested. Follow this blindly!). It would take about 90 minujtes to cross Pune. There is no bypass to Nagar road.

Basically dont take Katraj, but go past the via duct on NH4 and come back via old Mumbai-Pune highway. Then drive via Swargate on to Solapur road. Exit this road further and cut to Nagar road.

The last point that I marked in the link is a place called Smile Stone. A very good place to break.
Thanks a lot Amp. I have noted down this route now and shall feed my MMI with this before starting from Kolhapur to Shirdi.

After our stay at Shirdi, we are planning to drive down to Gokarna for 3 nights stay there and see places around (we have done Goa numerous times and wanted to go to a different place this time ). So, the return route from Shirdi back to NH4 all the way to Dharwad be the same as above right?

Thanks again!!
Kiran
Old 17th June 2014, 19:43   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot Amp. I have noted down this route now and shall feed my MMI with this before starting from Kolhapur to Shirdi.

After our stay at Shirdi, we are planning to drive down to Gokarna for 3 nights stay there and see places around (we have done Goa numerous times and wanted to go to a different place this time ). So, the return route from Shirdi back to NH4 all the way to Dharwad be the same as above right?

Thanks again!!
Kiran
Wow! It just does not end with Shirdi does it ! Great!

To come back to Gokarna, the route is to drive all the way back to Hubli. Then take the NH63 to Ankola. So on the way back, stay at Belgaum (Sankam). Start the next day and you can easily make it to Gokarna. The NH63 exit (called Ankola Exit) is right on Hubli-Dharwad bypass.
Old 18th June 2014, 10:45   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! It just does not end with Shirdi does it ! Great!

To come back to Gokarna, the route is to drive all the way back to Hubli. Then take the NH63 to Ankola. So on the way back, stay at Belgaum (Sankam). Start the next day and you can easily make it to Gokarna. The NH63 exit (called Ankola Exit) is right on Hubli-Dharwad bypass.
Thanks Amp. I am planning to drive straight to Gokarna from Shirdi which would be around 10hrs drive. If I start from Shirdi around 6AM, I can reach Gokarna around 4PM with 2 breaks (breakfast and lunch). Can I ?

One last Q: From Shirdi, do I have to take the same route which you had provided above to hit NH4?
That is: Shirdi-Amnadnagar-Wagholi-Nagar Road- Shirur -Kharadi Bypass-Sholapur Road- Shankarsheth Road-Swargate- Bangalore-Pune (via NH4)?
Old 18th June 2014, 11:16   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Amp. I am planning to drive straight to Gokarna from Shirdi which would be around 10hrs drive. If I start from Shirdi around 6AM, I can reach Gokarna around 4PM with 2 breaks (breakfast and lunch). Can I ?
Very hectic I would say. Its possible, but folks will get really stressed out.

It all depends on how fast you can get on 4-lane beyond Pune.

Early morning start should give you 2.5 to 3 hours to reach Pune Nagar road from Shirdi. Another 90-2 hours minutes to hit the 4-lane. (All conservative).
Thats about 4-5 hours. (190-200km of highway and then city traffic)

From the point you hit the 4-lane, its about 430km to the NH63 exit on Dharwad-Hubli bypass (as I see in Google). That should take about 6 hours of driving (assuming you get 75km/h average).

Ankola-exit-to Ankola via NH63 is 90km. Thats about 1.5/2 hours.

And the last is about 30 minutes. Thats about 8-9 hours of drive. on NH4/NH63.

So totally its about 12-14 hours of drive. Add to it food breaks.
Hence my initial point, of it being hectic. I would say break at Belgaum.

Quote:
One last Q: From Shirdi, do I have to take the same route which you had provided above to hit NH4?
That is: Shirdi-Amnadnagar-Wagholi-Nagar Road- Shirur -Kharadi Bypass-Sholapur Road- Shankarsheth Road-Swargate- Bangalore-Pune (via NH4)?
Yes its the same road you retrace back.

Last edited by ampere : 18th June 2014 at 11:23.
Old 18th June 2014, 19:08   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Very hectic I would say. Its possible, but folks will get really stressed out.

It all depends on how fast you can get on 4-lane beyond Pune.

Early morning start should give you 2.5 to 3 hours to reach Pune Nagar road from Shirdi. Another 90-2 hours minutes to hit the 4-lane. (All conservative).
Thats about 4-5 hours. (190-200km of highway and then city traffic)

From the point you hit the 4-lane, its about 430km to the NH63 exit on Dharwad-Hubli bypass (as I see in Google). That should take about 6 hours of driving (assuming you get 75km/h average).

Ankola-exit-to Ankola via NH63 is 90km. Thats about 1.5/2 hours.

And the last is about 30 minutes. Thats about 8-9 hours of drive. on NH4/NH63.

So totally its about 12-14 hours of drive. Add to it food breaks.
Hence my initial point, of it being hectic. I would say break at Belgaum.
The reason I am confident of doing it in 10-11 hrs is I have done Bangalore -> Rajgurunagar via Pune twice in 11hrs including breaks for breakfast and Lunch.
On both occasions, I left Bangalore at 4AM and reached Rajgurunagar around 3.30PM . Offcourse, as you mentioned it all depends on the traffic on a Saturday morning from Shirdi all the way to NH4 on the return route.

Any specific suggestions on the route for doing a Saturday return from Shirdi to Gokarna?

Last edited by kirantp : 18th June 2014 at 19:09.
Old 18th June 2014, 19:30   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any specific suggestions on the route for doing a Saturday return from Shirdi to Gokarna?
Even early on a Sunday morning traffic starts building up as early as 7am from Shirur. Knowing the mess on this state highway with too many punctures in the medians, narrow shoulders, expect progress to be on the slower side.

There are a lot of industries on this route which work 24/7 and you will loads of misc traffic including 3 wheelers, 2 wheelers, Tempos, company buses etc even on a Sunday.

I have done Aurangabad to Pune by leaving Aurangabad at 4:30am and getting onto NH4 near Kataj at 7:30am. I will strongly suggest you do the same by leaving Shirdi by 4am.

Pune-Satara-Kolhapur on a Sunday Morning:
Again, from my past experiences, you can expect good rush right from the very first toll booth after Pune at Khedshivpur itself.

-Pune/Mumbai cars heading towards Mahabaleshwar and Panchgani
-Pune/Mumbai cars heading for Satara and Kolhapur

These are 2 simple reasons why you can expect thick traffic in the morning even on a Sunday as it is a day drive for Punekars and Mumbaikars.

Assuming you hit NH4 by 7am, you should be in Kolhapur bypass by 10am, hopefully along with a breakfast break too.

Another 3 hours from Kolhapur bypass to Hubli (1pm).

By now, you would have driven all along on a 4 lane road and from here the 2 lane starts all the way to Gokarna (after ~600 kms on 4 lane).

I am not telling you "cannot" do this but make sure that you stick to your early morning departure from Shirdi and maintain good pace all along.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th June 2014 at 19:31.
Old 18th June 2014, 19:40   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Even early on a Sunday morning traffic starts building up as early as 7am from Shirur. Knowing the mess on this state highway with too many punctures in the medians, narrow shoulders, expect progress to be on the slower side.

There are a lot of industries on this route which work 24/7 and you will loads of misc traffic including 3 wheelers, 2 wheelers, Tempos, company buses etc even on a Sunday.

I have done Aurangabad to Pune by leaving Aurangabad at 4:30am and getting onto NH4 near Kataj at 7:30am. I will strongly suggest you do the same by leaving Shirdi by 4am.

Pune-Satara-Kolhapur on a Sunday Morning:
Again, from my past experiences, you can expect good rush right from the very first toll booth after Pune at Khedshivpur itself.

-Pune/Mumbai cars heading towards Mahabaleshwar and Panchgani
-Pune/Mumbai cars heading for Satara and Kolhapur

These are 2 simple reasons why you can expect thick traffic in the morning even on a Sunday as it is a day drive for Punekars and Mumbaikars.

Assuming you hit NH4 by 7am, you should be in Kolhapur bypass by 10am, hopefully along with a breakfast break too.

Another 3 hours from Kolhapur bypass to Hubli (1pm).

By now, you would have driven all along on a 4 lane road and from here the 2 lane starts all the way to Gokarna (after ~600 kms on 4 lane).

I am not telling you "cannot" do this but make sure that you stick to your early morning departure from Shirdi and maintain good pace all along.
Thanks Parag. 4Am departure from Shirdi dodging bad patches until reaching Nagar. Won't it be a nightmare doing it? I thought 6AM or a 5AM departure would give some visibility to escape those patches and avoid hurting the car . Let me know your thoughts and advise.
Old 18th June 2014, 19:50   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag. 4Am departure from Shirdi dodging bad patches until reaching Nagar. Won't it be a nightmare doing it? I thought 6AM or a 5AM departure would give some visibility to escape those patches and avoid hurting the car . Let me know your thoughts and advise.
Let me bargain with you now. Make it 5AM max but not later to this please!
Anything later than this means:
  1. Thick traffic towards and inside Pune and for bypassing Pune itself
  2. 2 Toll booths between Nagar and Pune and the last one may take time
  3. Traffic on NH4 (Not to forget 4 booths after Pune)
  4. You will still have to spend at least 30 minutes for your breakfast
The idea to leave early is because you cross Pune and Kolhapur before the time when 2 wheeler riders are searching for toothpaste in their cup boards. Once they hit the roads (mind you its a Sunday and these fellas do go for a jolly ride as family on 2 wheelers on all the roads around Pune).

I would still insist, leave earlier, drive slow and manage the bad patches and have a peaceful drive till destination.

When I did Auranganad-Pune, It was raining very badly till Nagar and was dark. Last year, the Aurangabad-Nagar section was uneven and a lot of undulations and in rains I could not cross 80kmph (Neither did I want to) but soon after Nagar when roads went dry and sun started to focus on roads, I belted a peaceful 110-120kmph to reach Pune outskirts.

From my past experiences, I quickly navigated out of Pune in no time through Kharadi Bypass and Sholapur road and Swargate and hit NH4. I only stopped for breakfast at Karad (Not even Satara) as I wanted to get past all the traffic.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th June 2014 at 19:53.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 20:33   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Let me bargain with you now. Make it 5AM max but not later to this please!
Anything later than this means:
  1. Thick traffic towards and inside Pune and for bypassing Pune itself
  2. 2 Toll booths between Nagar and Pune and the last one may take time
  3. Traffic on NH4 (Not to forget 4 booths after Pune)
  4. You will still have to spend at least 30 minutes for your breakfast
The idea to leave early is because you cross Pune and Kolhapur before the time when 2 wheeler riders are searching for toothpaste in their cup boards.
Quote:
Good One
Once they hit the roads (mind you its a Sunday and these fellas do go for a jolly ride as family on 2 wheelers on all the roads around Pune).

I would still insist, leave earlier, drive slow and manage the bad patches and have a peaceful drive till destination.

When I did Auranganad-Pune, It was raining very badly till Nagar and was dark. Last year, the Aurangabad-Nagar section was uneven and a lot of undulations and in rains I could not cross 80kmph (Neither did I want to) but soon after Nagar when roads went dry and sun started to focus on roads, I belted a peaceful 110-120kmph to reach Pune outskirts.

From my past experiences, I quickly navigated out of Pune in no time through Kharadi Bypass and Sholapur road and Swargate and hit NH4. I only stopped for breakfast at Karad (Not even Satara) as I wanted to get past all the traffic.
Alright. I will settle for 5AM exit from Shirdi. Thanks much Parag for all the valuable inputs.

Cheers,
Kiran
kirantp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 20:49   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The reason I say that is because:

- You will not be driving on empty 4-lane roads all the time.
- Shirdi-Nagar-Pune is worse than Mysore road. 4 hours minimum.
- Another 2 to cross Pune.
- So the above 6 hours is other than the 4-lane time taken to drive up to Hubli.
- Add to it another 2.5 hours to Ankola

That 11 hours you refer to is stress free 4-lane driving. While here we are talking full traffic Pune-Shirdi and also Pune city traffic.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 21:12   #238
BANNED

All,

I am planning from Bangalore to Shirdi in Fiat Punto. The tentative plan is visit Kolhapur, Shirdi, Shani Shingapur, Nasik (Trayambakeshwara temple). Between Bangalore & Shirdi, thinking of one halt somewhere in the middle like, Kolhapur - to avoid night driving + rest. On return can you suggest some other place? Also, please advice on route options, time required etc.,
Old 11th July 2014, 22:02   #239
BANNED

After my post when through the thread. kirantp has similar questions so got many things answered. Bangalore to Shirdi in one stretch doable by a single driver? I can start by 3:30 - 4 AM in the morning. I would like to book the accommodation @ Shirdri based on this.
Old 11th July 2014, 22:26   #240
BANNED

Somewhere in thread I saw Lonand route mentioned "If you are comfortable driving in double lane roads then the route Satara - Lonand - Nera - Baramati - Daund - Ahmednagar - Shirdi is a good option especially if it is a day time drive". Is this road good? Will it help me beating the traffic around Pune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK123 View Post
All,

I am planning from Bangalore to Shirdi in Fiat Punto. The tentative plan is visit Kolhapur, Shirdi, Shani Shingapur, Nasik (Trayambakeshwara temple). Between Bangalore & Shirdi, thinking of one halt somewhere in the middle like, Kolhapur - to avoid night driving + rest. On return can you suggest some other place? Also, please advice on route options, time required etc.,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks