Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 13:49   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Shirdi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think they are decent 2L roads. Satara-Phaltan-Baramati-Daund-Ahmednagar roads are decent. (Your Scorp will easily handle).
You can also visit the cavalry tank musuem at Ahmednagar.
(Now that is something for which I would be court martial-ed? Asking an army man to visit a cavalry museum!)
Thanks Jayaram. Let me try this while going and come via HVK's route given below.

BTW, i haven't seen Cavalry museum and thanks for reminding and will stop over this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I prefer t go through Pune city or take the NH4 bypass till Dehu Road onto NH4 (not expressway) till Talegaon, then the toll road to Chakan. If taking NH50 via Sangamaner to Shirdi, I would go on NH50, else continue on the toll road till Shikrapur and then take SH60 to Ahmednagar.

Khed to Chakan, Maharashtra, India - Google Maps
Thank you HVK. I will try out this next time definitely.
Old 19th March 2012, 17:12   #122
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Will be driving from Bangalore to Shirdi on 11th April 12. I will be driving alone with my wife and son. Car would be i20 CRDI. I am clear on the route from Bangalore to Pune (NH-4). Not sure if I can make it to Shirdi the same day. If it's too trying, will break the journey in Pune. Do I take the Pune city route to Shirdi (have never been to Pune city) or any other route to Shirdi ? This is where I need help. Can someone help me with the route to Shirdi which would be fast and good to drive. On the return journey, plan to drive from Shirdi to Kolhapur and stay overnight and leave for Bangalore the next day. Went through the forum ended me totally confused. Appreciate a good route form Bangalore to Shirdi and then back from Shirdi to Bangalore.
Thanks.
Old 19th March 2012, 21:13   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston View Post
Hi Guys,
Will be driving from Bangalore to Shirdi on 11th April 12. I will be driving alone with my wife and son. Car would be i20 CRDI. I am clear on the route from Bangalore to Pune (NH-4). Not sure if I can make it to Shirdi the same day. If it's too trying, will break the journey in Pune. Do I take the Pune city route to Shirdi (have never been to Pune city) or any other route to Shirdi ? This is where I need help. Can someone help me with the route to Shirdi which would be fast and good to drive. On the return journey, plan to drive from Shirdi to Kolhapur and stay overnight and leave for Bangalore the next day. Went through the forum ended me totally confused. Appreciate a good route form Bangalore to Shirdi and then back from Shirdi to Bangalore.
Thanks.
Houston,

It will be tiring to do Shirdi on the same day. The traffic on Pune - Shirdi in the evening will be bad and you wil need at least five hours to reach Shirdi from Pune. I would strongly recommend you to break in Pune and start early, say 6 or 6.30 AM to beat the Pune traffic so that you can reach comfortably by 10.30 AM.

You have to go via Pune town and there is no option. There is another route Kolhapur - Baramati - Ahmednagar - Shirdi. I understand it is two lane road and will have some traffic. Havent tried it.

It is a good thought to stay in Kolhapur on the way back which will also give you an opportunity to visit Mahalaxmi temple.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 11:39   #124
BHPian

Fauji, Thank you. Will break the journey in Pune and leave the next day to Shirdi as early as possible.
You have any idea of decent hotels in Pune to break the journey which could be on the way to Shirdi ?
The reason to break the return journey at Kolhapur is to visit Mahalaxmi temple. Have heard a lot about this temple.
Old 20th March 2012, 12:16   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fauji, Thank you. Will break the journey in Pune and leave the next day to Shirdi as early as possible.
You have any idea of decent hotels in Pune to break the journey which could be on the way to Shirdi ?
The reason to break the return journey at Kolhapur is to visit Mahalaxmi temple. Have heard a lot about this temple.
We stayed in Sadanand Residency. Decent hotel and VFM. Recommended by HV Kumar. It will help avoid entering city as it is on Highway.

Take a look at my TL wherein i have captured bangalore - Pune - Shirdi.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-pradesh.html

Mahalaxmi temple in Kolhapur is in the city. I would recommend you to hire a auto/taxi to go there as the roads are narrow and parking will be an issue. In Kolhapur, don't forget to eat nice misal pav near University if you have time. Hotel Pearl is a good bet in Kolhapur. Dont forget to visit "Chappal street" if you are interested to buy Kolhapuri chappals
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 13:29   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
We stayed in Sadanand Residency. Decent hotel and VFM. Recommended by HV Kumar. It will help avoid entering city as it is on Highway.
Take a look at my TL wherein i have captured bangalore - Pune - Shirdi.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-pradesh.html
Mahalaxmi temple in Kolhapur is in the city. I would recommend you to hire a auto/taxi to go there as the roads are narrow and parking will be an issue. In Kolhapur, don't forget to eat nice misal pav near University if you have time. Hotel Pearl is a good bet in Kolhapur. Dont forget to visit "Chappal street" if you are interested to buy Kolhapuri chappals
Will definitely go with Sadanand Residency. You say it's a decent hotel and VFM. Most important I don't need to enter Pune city.
Will check your TL later.
Thanks a lot for letting me know where all to visit in Kolhapur. Sure will hire a auto/taxi to go around.
Do you thing it would be too trying to drive down to Shirdi without breaking the journey at Pune ? As I said, I will be the only one driving.
Old 20th March 2012, 13:53   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you thing it would be too trying to drive down to Shirdi without breaking the journey at Pune ? As I said, I will be the only one driving.
Yes it will be. You will have a pleasurable drive till Kolhapur. After that traffic increases and you generally slow down which will be frustrating sometimes.

The road from Pune to Shirdi - especiaily till Ahmednagar - will be choc a block during evenings. Also driving though Pune city itself during peak hour - that is the time you will reach Pune - will be frustrating.

Since you have a small kid as well, it will be advisable to stay put in Pune for the night.
Old 20th March 2012, 14:10   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it will be. You will have a pleasurable drive till Kolhapur. After that traffic increases and you generally slow down which will be frustrating sometimes.

The road from Pune to Shirdi - especiaily till Ahmednagar - will be choc a block during evenings. Also driving though Pune city itself during peak hour - that is the time you will reach Pune - will be frustrating.

Since you have a small kid as well, it will be advisable to stay put in Pune for the night.
As of now will plan to break the journey in Pune. Seeing what time we arrive into Pune city and how tired I am, will take a call to drive further to Shirdi or stay put that night in Pune.
My son is 14 years old. With the driving fatigue, I am sure will have to put up with teenage tantrums all through the drive
Was going through your LT.
If I need any more information. Hope I can get in touch with you.
Thanks a ton.
Old 20th March 2012, 14:26   #129
BHPian

[quote=Fauji;2719343]. There is another route Kolhapur - Baramati - Ahmednagar - Shirdi. I understand it is two lane road and will have some traffic. Havent tried it.
quote]

Not sure about Kolhapur-Baramati -AhmedNagar, but Ahmednagar-Shirdi is four laned.

Did a recent trip from Pune-Bhimashankar-Nashik-Shirdi-Shani Signapur-Solapur-Akhalkhot-Pandharpur-Kholapur-Pune last week.

We did Shirdi--Ahmed nagar after which we took SH141 to Solapur that joins NH9 after Indpur. SH141 is a tolled 2 lane with lot of truck traffic. The road condition was good and we were able to maintain 70kmph for most part on a tempo travaller. Also stayed in Sadanand residency inside Pune City and the experience was ok (not great)

Overall experience with 2 laned state highways roads in MH were pretty ok for tolled roads and not bad for non tolled sections. The worst parts were Pune-Nashik and NH9 towards Solapur with lots of truck traffic.
Old 20th March 2012, 16:56   #130
BHPian

[quote=Sridhar K;2720121]
Quote:
. There is another route Kolhapur - Baramati - Ahmednagar - Shirdi. I understand it is two lane road and will have some traffic. Havent tried it.
quote]

Not sure about Kolhapur-Baramati -AhmedNagar, but Ahmednagar-Shirdi is four laned.

Did a recent trip from Pune-Bhimashankar-Nashik-Shirdi-Shani Signapur-Solapur-Akhalkhot-Pandharpur-Kholapur-Pune last week.

We did Shirdi--Ahmed nagar after which we took SH141 to Solapur that joins NH9 after Indpur. SH141 is a tolled 2 lane with lot of truck traffic. The road condition was good and we were able to maintain 70kmph for most part on a tempo travaller. Also stayed in Sadanand residency inside Pune City and the experience was ok (not great)

Overall experience with 2 laned state highways roads in MH were pretty ok for tolled roads and not bad for non tolled sections. The worst parts were Pune-Nashik and NH9 towards Solapur with lots of truck traffic.
Will stick to the route Fauji gave. Pune-Shirdi. Not sure the road condition between Kholapur - Ahmednagar. Was interested to know the road condition between Kholapur - Ahmednagar, as as second option, was planning to break my journey at Kholapur and take the Kholapur - Ahmednagar - Shirdi route. Has anyone traveled recently between Kholapur - Ahmedbad ? What's the road condition ?
Old 20th March 2012, 18:23   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post

We did Shirdi--Ahmed nagar after which we took SH141 to Solapur that joins NH9 after Indpur. SH141 is a tolled 2 lane with lot of truck traffic.
The road condition was good and we were able to maintain 70kmph for most part on a tempo travaller. Also stayed in Sadanand residency inside
Pune City and the experience was ok (not great)
Quote:
Will stick to the route Fauji gave. Pune-Shirdi. Not sure the road condition between Kholapur - Ahmednagar. Was interested to know the road
condition between Kholapur - Ahmednagar, as as second option, was planning to break my journey at Kholapur and take the Kholapur - Ahmednagar - Shirdi
route. Has anyone traveled recently between Kholapur - Ahmedbad ? What's the road condition ?

The road does not branch off at Kolhapur, but at Satara. It goes via Phaltan,
Baramat, Daund and Ahmednagar. Its a decent 2L highway with minimal decent facilities.

Route via Baramati

But yes you dont gain much compared to going till Pune and taking 4-Lane Ahmednagar route. If you dont plan to break at Pune,
you can access the Pune-Ahmednagar 4-lane at the bypass itself. No need to go inside the city.

Last edited by ampere : 20th March 2012 at 18:25.
Old 20th March 2012, 18:33   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone traveled recently between Kholapur - Ahmedbad ? What's the road condition ?
I did Bangalore-Surat and Surat-Ahmedabad last October.
Between Mumbai and Ahmedabad there are 2 bottlenecks if I may call so:

1. Crossing Mumbai city to reach Ghorbunder Junction after Thane (where you take NH8A towards Ahmedabad).
It will depend on the time of the day you are crossing this. On 2 occasions of me driving to Gujarat from Bangalore, I crossed Mumbai at peak evening times and It still took me around 1h30m from the Expressway end till I touched NH8A. The route is pretty straightforward as advised to me by HVK.
Expressway End- Thane Belapur Road- Airoli Bridge - Thane - NH3 Junction - Ghorbunder Road. There is construction going on the Airoli Bridge road as well as few places on Ghorbunder road. Apart from that no issues and the traffic moved in considerably better pace.

2. The famous Ankleshwar Bridge Jam between Ankleshwar and Braruch Towns.
Jams here last really long and unreliable and unpredictable even on non-peak days. So the best option will be to get inside Ankleshwar Town, pass over the Golden Bridge and Join back the highway at Bharuch.

You may budget these times to reach Ahmedabad including breaks:

1. Kolhapur - Pune -3 Hours
2. Pune - Mumbai - 2 Hours
3. Mumbai - Ghorbunder Junction - 1.5 Hours
4. Ghorbunder Junction - Surat crossroad -4 Hours
5. Surat - Ankleshwar - Baroda - 1 Hours
6. Baroda - Ahmedabad - 1.5 Hours

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The road does not branch off at Kolhapur, but at Satara. It goes via Phaltan,
Baramat, Daund and Ahmednagar. Its a decent 2L highway with minimal decent facilities.

Route via Baramati

But yes you dont gain much compared to going till Pune and taking 4-Lane Ahmednagar route. If you dont plan to break at Pune,
you can access the Pune-Ahmednagar 4-lane at the bypass itself. No need to go inside the city.
I agree with Amp here. Though I have decided to take this route many times, I refrained only because of the faster drive I would be able to manage on a 4 lane road till Pune.

Also, there is another route that I was suggest by MX6 where you branch from Nh4 at Khedshivpur and pass through Saswad and join the Ahmednagar highway.

Apart from this, one can continue all the way till Pune bypass ends, continue on the old highway till Talegaon, take right on the Talegaon-Chakan Road and once you touch Chakan, continue further till you join Shikrapur on the Ahmednagar highway. This one will be relatively less clogged.

Passing Pune city to reach Ahmednagar road during peak time is really painful to say the least. Traffic on the Ahmednagar highway all the way till you reach Ahmednagar will be very dense, miscellaneous and irritating as this is a state highway and has no overbridges or bypass for each and every village and town you pass. This route doesnt have service lanes and you will often have to be part of jams that are a result of someone who'd have parked his car blocking lane.

The best time to travel on this road is always early mornings (5am) or after 9pm.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th March 2012 at 18:42.
Old 21st March 2012, 13:33   #133
BHPian

Ampere/Paragsachania. Thanks for the update. Sorry Paragsachania. Instead of writing Kolhapur-Ahmednagar had written it as Kolhapur-Ahmedabad. Thanks for listing out the travel time. If I do that route any time, I am sure your travel time listing would be helpful.
The best bet is to stick to Pune-Ahmednagar route. Will break the journey at Pune and will stay put at Sadanand Residency. Understand from Fauji, this would allow me to stay away from Pune city whilst connect me to Pune-Ahmednagar route. Thanks everyone.
If any one knows an decent / VFM hotel in Pune other than Sadanand Residency, please do let me know.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:17   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Paragsachania. Instead of writing Kolhapur-Ahmednagar had written it as Kolhapur-Ahmedabad.
Thats OK. I hope those timings will help in case you plan to drive to Ahmedabad in future.

Quote:
The best bet is to stick to Pune-Ahmednagar route. Will break the journey at Pune and will stay put at Sadanand Residency. Understand from Fauji, this would allow me to stay away from Pune city whilst connect me to Pune-Ahmednagar route. Thanks everyone.
If any one knows an decent / VFM hotel in Pune other than Sadanand Residency, please do let me know.
Sadanand Residency is indeed a better option to stay away from Pune as it is situated bang on the bypass. Additionally, you have other options close-by like Ginger, Radha Residency etc.

By opting to stay in one of these hotels you would certainly be staying away from the city and the following route will help you touch Ahmednagar highway at Shikrapur which is much beyond (at least 30 kms from city traffic) from the usual bottlenecks.

Hotel Sadanand Regency to SH27 - Google Maps

The above route is mostly an undivided 2 laned road once you exit Pune bypass all the way till you touch Shikrapur on Ahmednagar highway.

The Talegaon-Chakan Road and the Chakan - Shikrapur road witnesses heavy truck traffic as I experienced in January and I also got stuck at a couple of small villages due to misc traffic and other bottlenecks. But, having said that, if I am given a chance to opt for the chaotic route through the city and this one, I will always pick up the above route. Nothing can be told about the jams that one can encounter at the very first toll booth after Wagholi/Pune on the Nagar road.

But in case your intention is to start very early towards Shirdi in the morning, you can always prefer to stay somewhere inside the city too as leaving early morning wont have much miscellaneous traffic all the way.
Old 21st March 2012, 17:10   #135
BHPian

Thanks Paragsachania for the map of how to reach Ahmednagar road from Hotel Sadanand Regency. I plan to leave as early as possible, as I need to be there in Shirdi for the 11.30 am arthi. That's the arthi time I plan to book on line. This would be my longest drive in India. Thanks a ton.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks