Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 16:33   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyderabad to Nagpur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Did the Hyderabad - Nirmal - Hyderabad route last week in my Optra Magnum
Thanks for the update. However, the worst stretch is still the Hinganghat-Pimpalkhuti (AP/MH border) sector with almost no progress over the last year or so.
Old 24th September 2011, 09:47   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
The 4 laning work on the Kamareddy to Perkit stretch is still going on and there are lot of diversions.

On the way back I stopped at Nizamabad on Sat night and started to Hyd yesterday at 3.15 PM. Drove sedately and reached home @ Banjara Hills by 6 PM.
I drove from Hyderabad to Nirmal last month and the road near Kamareddy is under construction. It's a hazardous area with unmarked speed breakers, uneven roads (there's a sharp speed-breaker-like road increase at some points), oncoming traffic (crazed drivers who think flashing their headlamps will make vehicle disappear; they're headlights, not lasers), and lack of street lights (isn't that far too common in India?). Going over 60kmph in the area is not recommended.

When driving at night, pedestrians are almost invisible along the sides of the road especially when they wear dark clothing (whatever happened to the traditional white kurta-dhoti and turban?) so when passing through any village/town stay at 60 kmph or lower unless you have a good set of head lamps.

The trip takes me about 4.5 hours from Banjara Hills to Nirmal when driving at the speed limits except when the speed limit signs post something ridiculously low (20kmph sign when there's traffic headed at me from behind at 80kmph; perhaps they mean mph or metres-per-second instead of kmph?).
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:44   #63
BHPian

Anyone who can advise with recent road conditions?

Inputs on road condition, good places to stop etc. HIGHLY APPRECIATED ... especially, because we'll be traveling with a 3-month infant ! I know there are hardly any facilities (washroom, hotels etc) for the most part on this stretch.

I did Hyd-Nagpur in April 2010 ...

1. I recall the Kamareddy section was being 4-laned and there were quite a few diversions? Has that gotten any better?

2. There was a 20-30 km stretch on the AP-MH border before Pandharkawada which was really bad - there was 4laning work that had practically stopped - so, all vehicles were on one side of the road and the craters/bumps to cross from one side of the road to another were terrible.

Any improvements?
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:48   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post

Inputs on road condition, good places to stop etc. HIGHLY APPRECIATED ... especially, because we'll be traveling with a 3-month infant ! I know there are hardly any facilities (washroom, hotels etc) for the most part on this stretch.

I did Hyd-Nagpur in April 2010 ...

1. I recall the Kamareddy section was being 4-laned and there were quite a few diversions? Has that gotten any better?

2. There was a 20-30 km stretch on the AP-MH border before Pandharkawada which was really bad - there was 4laning work that had practically stopped - so, all vehicles were on one side of the road and the craters/bumps to cross from one side of the road to another were terrible.

Any improvements?
Nothing has changed, it is in the same condition
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:53   #65
BHPian

Thanks, HVK.

Nice to hear from the 'official Guru of Indian highways'

BUT very disheartening to know things havent changed in nearly 2 years !!! Certainly need to exercise my voting rights, this general election :(
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did BLR-HYD-NGP in December 2010 and again in December 2011. As Kumar Sir pointed out, minimal progress on this stretch since the last 1.5-2 years or so. Also, facilities are pretty scanty - there is one APTDC Haritha somewhere near Adilabad. Other than that, you'd need to get into towns (Adilabad, Nizamabad, etc) for eating joints. To give you an idea of the timings, I was at Medchal (after crossing HYD via NRR and Medak Road) at 11:30 AM and reached Nagpur airport by 6:15 PM) with moderate driving (100-110 kmph), including one 1/2 hour break for lunch en-route.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 00:12   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I did BLR-HYD-NGP in December 2010 and again in December 2011. As Kumar Sir pointed out, minimal progress on this stretch since the last 1.5-2 years or so. Also, facilities are pretty scanty - there is one APTDC Haritha somewhere near Adilabad. Other than that, you'd need to get into towns (Adilabad, Nizamabad, etc) for eating joints. To give you an idea of the timings, I was at Medchal (after crossing HYD via NRR and Medak Road) at 11:30 AM and reached Nagpur airport by 6:15 PM) with moderate driving (100-110 kmph), including one 1/2 hour break for lunch en-route.
Thanks, cool_dube. I recall having done Hyd-Nagpur city in about 7.5 hours myself with stops only for a leak. (start at 6 am and reached 130 pm with speeds of 90-100 kmph).

Does anyone recall if the toll plazas enroute have any decent loos?
Old 30th January 2012, 13:32   #68
BHPian

Quote:
BUT very disheartening to know things havent changed in nearly 2 years!
I did a trip last week and there was another section of road that is now one-way (i.e. not dual-carriage). About 2 years ago, I think the road passed through Nirmal but you don't have to go through Nirmal any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Nothing has changed, it is in the same condition
My trip last month saw no progress but last week, I did see a little bit of progress. Perhaps you can confirm if you are going again some time.

Quote:
When going from Hyderabad, you will see a restaurant with a washroom on the left just a little distance after you get onto the highway (you will have passed Dhola Ri Dhani and Runway 9 by this point). The next stop for you would be Malgudis before Kama Reddy on the right side of the road or Harithas near Kama Reddy (it is about 10 min away from Malgudis, and next to an H.P. fuel station). You can enter Kama Reddy to go to Kauveri, if you want to, but Harithas and Malgudis are good enough. At Dichipally, there are dhabas that I usually avoid but a lot of people do stop there to eat.

Quote:
Does anyone recall if the toll plazas enroute have any decent loos?
You may not find any at the toll plazas, but you can find them at restaurants (one near Hyd, Malgudis, and Harithas). At times, when you've got to go, you've got to go - you just might have to put up with the ill-maintained ones at fuel stations and that's just a part of highway-travel.
k_nitin_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 19:25   #69
Senior - BHPian

Did Hyderabad-Karanji over the weekend enroute to Tadoba.Updates are as follows:

Hyd-Kamareddy:4laned and excellent

Kamareddy-Dichippally-Armur:Single laned and night driving is pretty unpleasant.

Armur bypass still not open,need to go through town.

Armur-Nirmal-Adilabad:Fully 4 laned and excellent

Adilabad-MH Border-Pandharkawda:There is not even any signs of 4 laning and the existing single laned road is in the pits with the potholes covered with rock like stones which can easily cut into the tyre.Very bumpy and rough.

Pandharkawada-Karanji:4 laned and excellent

No eating facilities absolutely except for the already mentioned ones of Malgudi & Haritha.Even the trucker dhabas are in pretty bad shape.Petrol pumps in plenty.BP COCO available only at end of Kamareddy & at Adilabad towards Nagpur.Noticed that most of the other pumps still have the old and outdated dispensers.

Kompally-Karanji took me 5 hours.Time consuming sections at the MH-AP border & Armur-Kamareddy.
ranjitp1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 21:35   #70
Team-BHP Support

Took me roughly 6.5 hours of riding to do Nagpur to Hyderabad.

Its very easy to maintain good speeds for most part.
The speed limit signboard on most sections mention 100.

My bike cannot cross 105 kmph. Very rarely does she cross 110.

While the section between Nagpur and Adilabad is bad, its not frustrating bad.
In fact I needed a break (for lunch) after 265 kms of riding. If I was not hungry, I could have kept riding.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 13:01   #71
BHPian

I did this stretch in the 1st week of Jan. The only stretch which is bad is a 30-40 km stretch at the MH-AP border. Other than that the roads are well laid out. Did this section in about 7.30 hours with 40 mins of breaks.

You have to get into Armur town as the 4 laning is still being done.

I did this road in Oct'10 and do see some improvements in the AP section approaching MH.
Old 26th February 2012, 11:38   #72
BHPian

Did Hyd-Nagpur yesterday. Started at exactly 5 am and was at Sitabuldi in Nagpur by 1230 pm (Total 7.5 hours including about 30 mins of breaks).
Overall, 500 kms with about 60 kms of terrible/ bad/ average roads. Nearly all of the rest makes for a brilliant drive. Toll paid Rs 230.

Now, for the road conditions:

HiTech City (Hyd) - Medchal : Normal city road conditions. Took about 45 mins for the 40-odd kms

Medchal - Kamareddy : Perfect road conditions. 4-laned. Typically at 100-110 kmph

Kamareddy - Armur : Excellent road but 2-lanes of the 4-lane are operational currently. Most of the road appears close to completion for most part. Did about 70-80 kmph due to the 2-lanes

Armur - Adilabad : Again excellent 4-laned with some amazing views of dry forest, a few paddy fields etc. 100-110 kmph

Adilabad - Pandharkawada : About 30 kms in this stretch is bad. Basically, like a 2-lane state highway with its potholes filled with really sharp stones as mentioned by ranjitp1. Avg speed for the 30 kms was about 60 kmph

Pandharkawada - Hinganghat : Again, about 30 kms is bad within this overall stretch, worse than the earlier stretch. Much worse than a regular state highway with bad potholes, diversions and a very patchy road. Its like driving hell after having experienced heaven on the AP-side of the road. There is no 4-laning work underway. Cant understand why NHAI seems to have abandoned work on this. Average speed 30 kmph

Hinganghat - Nagpur : Excellent 4-laned roads again. 100-110 kmph.

My ride was my 'RoadCruiser' Fiesta Diesel - which, as always, has been an absolutely brilliant high-speed cruiser with an average of nearly 22-23 kmpl.

Last edited by RoadTiger : 26th February 2012 at 11:42.
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 11:59   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Did Hyd-Nagpur yesterday. Started at exactly 5 am and was at Sitabuldi in Nagpur by 1230 pm (Total 7.5 hours including about 30 mins of breaks).
Overall, 500 kms with about 60 kms of terrible/ bad/ average roads. Nearly all of the rest makes for a brilliant drive. Toll paid Rs 230.
Thanks for the update Tiger.

Planning to do Hyd - Nagpur- Pench - Hyd during Ugadi weekend. Your update has immensly helped in planning the schedule.

Btw, how many toll booths enroute and waht was the total toll between Hyd - Nagpur.

What fuel points eateries do your recommend on the way.

Cheers !

NH
Old 9th March 2012, 12:31   #74
BHPian

@Night_Hawk : Total toll 230 bucks. 3 proper toll booths with tolls of 95, 45 and 80 and 2 bridge-crossing tolls (collected by folks in tin-shed) of 5 bucks each.

The only decent eateries are Malgudi about 10 kms before Kamareddy and a Haritha near Kamareddy ... then, there are the road-side eateries at Dichpally railway crossing. There is also Hotel Rohit (behind a HP petrol pump) at the Jamb turning (about 80-90 kms before Nagpur) where one takes a left to continue on NH7 (or NH44 as it is known now). I heard from my relatives this place is owned by a Gujju and serves decent food. I havent tried any of these though - its best to carry your own food on this route.

Most fuel points enroute have old, archaic dispensers. Your best option is to tank up beforehand in Hyd or Nagpur - there is also BP Adilabad, where I tanked up on the way back. It is a typical good quality BP pump with new dispensers and 'Ghar' which is badly maintained though.

Btw, Pench is one of my favourite places - Its a great place for nature lovers. The road from Nagpur to Pench will take you at least 1.5 hours and is a little patchy and not smooth-surfaced. Hotel Kipling Court (MTDC - decently maintained) would be my choice ! Have fun !

Last edited by RoadTiger : 9th March 2012 at 12:34.
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 17:57   #75
Senior - BHPian

When I did during August last 2011 Bangalore - Nagpur, road condition was very bad. There was heavy rain in that area in past 1 week and during my travel also there were intermittent rains.

There were countless diversions and one diversion was 5-6 KMs long through some small village roads. Bridges along the route were in pathetic condition with huge huge potholes. Lots of sightings of truck axle breakdown enroute.

Due to this it took me 8.5 hours from Hyd - Nagpur stretch. Whole Bangalore - Nagpur - I took 16 hours including break till Hyderabad.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed