Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2016, 11:17   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Planning to stay near Benaulim Beach this time ? Good place in Goa to stay ? Mostly we will lazing around in the Hotel Pool and going to the Beach for a Dip and Stroll.
You can refer this thread for the question quoted above

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-stay-32.html
Old 27th April 2016, 12:30   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
A point to note: Be careful on the new bridge built near Bavdhan (Opposite Crystal Honda). The two sections are not joined properly which causes the vehicle to jump if not slowed down. Please slow down.
These sections were made at different point of time & previous road surface was made of concrete whereas recent one is tar.
This particular section has been relaid few weeks back & some genius has relaid tar on top of concrete.
Now, 2 sections seem continuous & smooth. But I suspect post monsoon, tar surface will get washed out and will expose concrete surface beneath.
Old 28th April 2016, 16:58   #1878
BHPian

Just curious to know if anyone has recently taken the Tillari Ghat route and then got into Goa at Dodamarg?
Old 28th April 2016, 17:20   #1879
Senior - BHPian

I have used the Dodamarg route coming down from Wildernest when Chorla was a bad road.

I have no idea about Tillari, but there is no reason for it to be very good. There is only so much money available and there are many roads down to Konkan from the other side of the W Ghats.

Other than Amboli and Chorla, the rest are mediocre quality at best, worth exploring in a rugged vehicle only for a change of scene, when a fast drive isn't a need.
Old 28th April 2016, 20:08   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I have used the Dodamarg route coming down from Wildernest when Chorla was a bad road.

I have no idea about Tillari, but there is no reason for it to be very good. There is only so much money available and there are many roads down to Konkan from the other side of the W Ghats.

Other than Amboli and Chorla, the rest are mediocre quality at best, worth exploring in a rugged vehicle only for a change of scene, when a fast drive isn't a need.
I got lost last year and found myself on what turned out to be Tillari ghat. There was virtually no road to speak of at all, but the scenery was beautiful, with absolutely no traffic. And so, I was hoping that the road may have been done by now.
Old 29th April 2016, 06:58   #1881
Senior - BHPian

I am pretty sure that it still is only a road to take if you want a bit of an adventure. I am also sure that it will be very scenic, and spectacular in the latter part of the monsoon season, when the risk of landslides is much reduced. These roads are the only way to get the pleasure of the waterfalls and the rest minus the usual rowdy scenes at places like Amboli.

Last edited by Sawyer : 29th April 2016 at 07:00.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 03:48   #1882
BHPian

Hello all,
I need help from people on this thread.
I'm driving down to South Goa (Margao) in our OHC with my family on the 6th of May and plan to return in the first week of June.
I usually start at night from Mumbai as I love night driving (cooler, no honking needed, light traffic, no bikers, etc). And besides I get to drive off NH4 early morning in mild sunlight and when the villages are still waking up.
Going through the last few pages of this thread, I've gathered the following:
1. That the route via Uttur-Ajra-Amboli is at par with Chorla with regards to time, although Chorla is a bit longer (25-26kms approx).
2. That Khanapur-Anmod-Mollem is excellent but the road is longer and narrow.

I've driven to Goa and back via Ajra-Amboli all my life and know the road like the back of my hand. This time I've decided to try a new route, since I've read on recent posts that roads down south have been done up well, which compels me to ask for advice regarding the following:
1. How is the Anmod route in comparison with Chorla and Amboli with regards to road surface, traffic, and width?
2. I see some diversions that Google Maps and MapMyIndia won't show as options. My query on these routes are as follows:
a. Isn't Dr. BR Ambedkar Rd before reaching Belgaum Jn, shorter and more logical? Why won't these navigation apps show it?
b. If I take the Chorla route, does it make sense driving till the Honda village junction and going via Velguem-Surla or should I take the first right at Sanquelim and go via Navelim-Cotombi-Khandepar?
c. Post #1790 by Ertigiat says that the Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary has timing restrictions (6am to 6pm). If I plan to travel beyond these times while returning, will it make sense to travel via Chorla or drive down to Londa and then Khanapur?

I know I'm asking for much but kindly advise if you will

Last edited by Dr.Sav : 2nd May 2016 at 03:56. Reason: Additional information provided for my query
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:41   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav View Post
I usually start at night from Mumbai as I love night driving (cooler, no honking needed, light traffic, no bikers, etc). And besides I get to drive off NH4 early morning in mild sunlight and when the villages are still waking up.
Plus no traffic jams between Pune & Satara
Quote:
That the route via Uttur-Ajra-Amboli is at par with Chorla with regards to time, although Chorla is a bit longer (25-26kms approx).
Yes. Uttur-Ajara-Amboli route is on par with Chorla.
Quote:
That Khanapur-Anmod-Mollem is excellent but the road is longer and narrow.
It is other way around. Khanapur-Anmod-Mollem is wider & shorter route since your destination is Margao. Chorla is narrower and longer to reach Margao.
Quote:
How is the Anmod route in comparison with Chorla and Amboli with regards to road surface, traffic, and width?
According to me Anmod route will a better choice of all to reach Margao. It definitely is wider of all routes (barring Road between Ponda & Margao). Till Belgaum you have NH4, which is in excellent condition. Since you intend to travel at night you should not face any traffic jams at diversions & errant driving between Pune & Satara. After Belgaum NH4A starts which also is in good condition.
Quote:
Post #1790 by Ertigiat says that the Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary has timing restrictions (6am to 6pm). If I plan to travel beyond these times while returning, will it make sense to travel via Chorla or drive down to Londa and then Khanapur?
The route that I have mentioned is a shorter route between Khanapur & Anmod (Via Bhimgad). There is no time restriction on Khanapur- Londa-Ramanagar- Anmod (NH4A) road.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:39   #1884
BHPian

Thanks so much, Ertigiat.

You've answered my doubts since I later found out that Dr. BR Ambedkar Rd is probably a one way road, and there is an alternate and shorter route to Sanquelim via Chorla.

Yes, cruising on the NH4 between Pune and Kolhapur is best at night to avoid much traffic, novices new to highway driving, slow drivers on the fast lane, newbies blind to traffic rules, drivers who can't maintain distance and decorum, errant bikers and pedestrians.

The decision is made then. I'm surely traveling via Anmod. Will spend the vacations at my home in Comba, Margao and at a relative's place at Anjuna.

While returning to Mumbai, if I take-off from Anjuna, I guess I'll choose the Amboli-Ajra route back since it's more convenient from North Goa. If from Margao, then it will be via Anmod-Londa since I'll then cover the ghats in the late evening, reach Belgaum at night, and cruise on the NH4 in the night again after a break to feed my one-year-old princess. I don't mind giving up on the Bhimgad route as long as I avoid traffic at Belgaum and the NH4.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Dr.Sav : 2nd May 2016 at 12:51. Reason: New information added
Dr.Sav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 13:24   #1885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Plus no traffic jams between Pune & Satara

Yes. Uttur-Ajara-Amboli route is on par with Chorla.

It is other way around. Khanapur-Anmod-Mollem is wider & shorter route since your destination is Margao. Chorla is narrower and longer to reach Margao.

According to me Anmod route will a better choice of all to reach Margao. It definitely is wider of all routes (barring Road between Ponda & Margao). Till Belgaum you have NH4, which is in excellent condition. Since you intend to travel at night you should not face any traffic jams at diversions & errant driving between Pune & Satara. After Belgaum NH4A starts which also is in good condition.

The route that I have mentioned is a shorter route between Khanapur & Anmod (Via Bhimgad). There is no time restriction on Khanapur- Londa-Ramanagar- Anmod (NH4A) road.
Hi, I am also driving to Margao from Delhi. The Bombay to Goa leg would be new for me. So, would it be advisable to do nights on that stretch? I am otherwise a night driver.

Also, I have the same question about the road from Belgaum to Margao. What would be the easiest and safest road to travel - the Chorla, or Mollem road? I do not want too much hill drive, given the fatigue factor of having driven from Delhi?
ashokbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 17:36   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokbh View Post
Hi, I am also driving to Margao from Delhi. The Bombay to Goa leg would be new for me.
Belgaum to Margao. What would be the easiest and safest road to travel - the Chorla, or Mollem road?
Till the Nippani turnoff for Ajra-Amboli ghat on NH4 the highway sees busy traffic.The stretch from NH4 (Uttur) till Sawantwadi NH17 the section is isolated at night.No security issues reported so far but it's just a state highway with hardly any night traffic nor facilities.
Belgaum to Madgaon the route via NH4A is the preferred route,road is bad at places but again night time vistas on Chorla can be scary with almost nil traffic and dense forests.
If coming from Kolhapur crossing over a ghat is inevitable

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 8th May 2016 at 17:38.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 17:48   #1887
Senior - BHPian

There is no way to avoid hill drives. Even if you use the Nh17 that goes from Bombay to Goa along the coast without getting over the Western Ghats, you still have a few hilly sections. But that is a very tiring road to drive on because it doesn't have a median strip divided road anywhere, while almost all of NH4 has that facility. I suggest planning out a drive that leaves you with a night halt in Kolhapur or Belgaum, leaving you to deal with a relatively short drive to Goa in the morning; just a few hours from Belgaum and about 90 minutes added to that if you overnight at Kolhapur. Or plan to drive in the night such that you are in Belgaum at about 6 am.

Last edited by Sawyer : 8th May 2016 at 17:49.
Old 8th May 2016, 18:33   #1888

Thank you RanjitP, and Sawyer. Having driven 1.5K from Del, I would not want to negotiate the single carriageway along NH17.

But on the NH4 route (subsequently NH4A as advised by the pros), where would I have to negotiate the ghats? I have no experience beyond the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (which also has some hilly terrain). I am ok with hills - do a lot of that in North India and the Northeast, but am factoring in the fatigue of 1.5 K before I hit the road to Goa.

Another question: Can I do Baroda to Margao in one day, bypassing Mumbai? Baroda will be my stopover on the way out from Delhi. I shall drive the night out from Del and reach Baroda around 10 in the morning. If I started around midnight or about 1 a.m. from Baroda, is it possible to reach Margaon by sundown the next day (having skipped Mumbai)?

Thanks much in anticipation.
Old 8th May 2016, 20:15   #1889
Senior - BHPian

The Baroda to Margao idea is perhaps a stretch, though Google maps will show you how to get on to the Mumbai Pune expressway, from the Baroda to Mumbai road.

If you are able to reach Belgaum by about 4 pm, proceed down across the ghats via Chorla, so you are past them in daylight. Reach much beyond that, and overnight in Belgaum is advisable. But I suspect that a midnight Baroda departure should get you to Belgaum comfortably by 4 pm.
Old 8th May 2016, 20:29   #1890
BHPian

If you start from Baroda at 1 am, you will reach Pune around 10 am, considering stops. From there, you can reach Goa in 7-8 hours, though at 10 am, you will encounter heavy traffic at Pune. So all will depend on when and how quickly you cross Pune. If you cross before 10, max by 11, you should be able to reach Goa comfortably. If much later than that, you risk going into the Ghats during the dark.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks