Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2019, 20:44   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
We would like to include trip to Kudajadiri (heard it takes 3.5 to 4 hours) , but not sure what is the best time to fit this into the overall plan.
I will skip the route part and concentrate on a serious issue that's been plaguing your intended route.

An epidemic called Kyasanur Forest Disease/KFD is troubling a few areas of Shimoga and surrounding areas. Also known as Monkey Disease (ಮಂಗನ ಖಾಯಿಲೆ), this has already taken a few lives. As on date, it is said to have spread to certain areas of Chikkamagaluru district too. Specific to your case, Kodachadri is also affected and as per Kannada newspapers, tourist activity has been banned there.

Please understand that I am not trying to create a scare here. Its just that precaution is better than cure and therefore, if you can avoid/postpone the trip, you will be doing yourself a lot of good.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 21:28   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I will skip the route part and concentrate on a serious issue that's been plaguing your intended route.

An epidemic called Kyasanur Forest Disease/KFD is troubling a few areas of Shimoga and surrounding areas. Also known as Monkey Disease (ಮಂಗನ ಖಾಯಿಲೆ), this has already taken a few lives.
There was a news that 2 monkeys were found dead in the forest yesterday in the affected area. This is not the best time to visit Kyasanur.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 17:51   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

Its just that precaution is better than cure and therefore, if you can avoid/postpone the trip, you will be doing yourself a lot of good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
There was a news that 2 monkeys were found dead in the forest yesterday in the affected area. This is not the best time to visit Kyasanur.
Thanks for the update. Considering this, we have dropped the Kudajadiri part. We also decided to cancel a trip that was planned to Tirunalli part of Wayanad for the same reason.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 16:12   #289
BHPian

We did this trip as a family (wifey and toddler daughter) last weekend on our Brio- the route taken on the onward journey was bangalore-tumkur-hiriyur-hosadurga-ajjampura-tarikere-bhadravati-shivamogga-arasalu-hosanagr-nittur-kollur. We returned via agumbe-hariharapura-balehonnur-chikmagalur-hassan-kunigal-bangalore.
Both routes took similar amounts of time (around 10hr30min to 11hr including three very relaxing breaks- we usually take breaks of 40-50 mins ) and the roads were mostly ranging from good to great. The only gripe we had was that the return route didn't have many good restaurants/toilets at least until chikmagalur.
vivek_lm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 22:49   #290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_lm View Post
The only gripe we had was that the return route didn't have many good restaurants/toilets at least until chikmagalur.
This is true. Only place we noticed is Bhadra Coffee Stop just after Balehonnur.

I also noted the Aldur-Chikkamgulur is far more twisty than Thirthahally-Shimoga.
Old 24th March 2019, 16:58   #291
BHPian

Update from my recent Bangalore - Kollur - Murudeshwar - Udupi - Dharmasthala - Bangalore trip.

Day 1: Bangalore - Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampura - Tarikere - Shimoga - Arasalu - Hosanagara - Nagara - Nittur - Kollur
Day 2: Kollur - Baindoor - Murudeshwar - Udupi
Day 3: Udupi - Katapady - Belman - Nitte - Bajegoli - Belthangady - Ujire - Dharmasthala - Shiradi - Bangalore

Route conditions:
Bangalore - Hiriyur: No special mention.
Hiriyur - Tarikere: A mix of good and patchy, wide-ish and not-so-wide-ish stretches. No major potholes but the patchy parts have broken top layer making the ride a bit bumpy.
Tarikere - Shimoga: Found it to be very busy. I, should've, maybe, tried the Chitradurga - Holakere - Channagiri option as it avoids this busy stretch.
Shimoga - Nagara: Good, smooth, curvy roads.
Nagara - Nittur - Kollur: Ghat section. Decent surface, part of it is white topped. As you approach Kollur, you'll find a pot hole or two at a few curves but nothing to trouble a watchful driver.
Kollur - Baindoor: Good, smooth, curvy roads.
Baindoor - Murudeshwar: 4-laning work in progress with partly complete sections, detours with heavy traffic. Partly complete sections pose some risk as you'll see both sides being used as 2-way.
Murudeshwar - Kundapur: Same story as Baindoor - Murudeshwar section (in the reverse direction).
Kundapur - Udupi: Completed 4-lane tolled stretch. Busy but easier drive.
Udupi - Bajegoli: Mostly good roads. Some patchy, narrow sections but not a big concern.
Bajegoli - Belthangady: Reasonable roads. Not very wide. Be cautious in overtaking slower vehicles.
Belthangady - Ujire: Wide but busy section.
Ujire - Dharmasthala: Good roads.
Shiradi ghats: White topped section is smooth. The section after the white topped part and Sakleshpur was a pain for me yesterday due to heavy traffic.
Sakleshpur - Hassan: Work in progress and associated pain but nothing more than that to mention.
Hassan - Bangalore: No special mention.

Stay:
Jyothis Residency at Kollur: Very close to the temple. Parking is limited but the staff will help with finding you a spot. Warm and friendly staff. Decent rooms and food.
Udupi Residency at Udupi: About 10 minute walking distance from the temple. Similar in service levels and quality to Jyothis Residency.
Mnjdnght is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 08:12   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have latest on this? I'm planning to visit Kollur this week. Should I defer my travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
Update from my recent Bangalore - Kollur - Murudeshwar - Udupi - Dharmasthala - Bangalore trip.

Day 1: Bangalore - Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampura - Tarikere - Shimoga - Arasalu - Hosanagara - Nagara - Nittur - Kollur
Day 2: Kollur - Baindoor - Murudeshwar - Udupi
Day 3: Udupi - Katapady - Belman - Nitte - Bajegoli - Belthangady - Ujire - Dharmasthala - Shiradi - Bangalore
I'll likely follow the same route. Plan to visit Anegudde/Kumbhashi along the way from Murudeshwara to Udupi. I presume the drive from Murudeshwara to Udupi will be along the scenic beach route (thru Maravanthe)? Since I'm planning to do a 4-day trip from Thu to Sun, I'd like to cover some more places/temples. Thinking of covering Dharmasthala & if possible, Kukke. At this point, itinerary looks as below:

1. Day-1: Bangalore-Kollur. Stay at Kollur.
2. Day-2: Kollur-Murudeshwara-Kumbhashi-Udupi. Stay at Udupi.
3. Day-3: Udupi-Kateel-Dharmashtala. Stay at Dharmasthala.
4. Day-4: Dharmasthala-Kukke-Bangalore. Home!

I'd also like to visit Manipal on Day-2 or Day-3, if possible. My father is an ex-Syndicate Bank employee, so want to go there just for nostalgia but don't know what to do/visit in town. I'm sure he'll hook me up with his contacts if I mention this idea to him. But, would like to know from you all if there are any must-see/do things in Manipal.

We'll be three of us (me, wife & 2.5 year old daughter) in a low-GC hatch. I'm a sedate driver, so no matter how good the roads are, I generally end up with 60km/hr avg speeds. So considering all this, is all this doable, or am I over-reaching?

TIA!
Old 26th March 2019, 11:10   #293
Senior - BHPian

There has been no report of new infections since February, also saw buses plying to Kollur as usual last Friday. It is safe now to travel to Kollur.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 11:20   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
Does anyone have latest on this? I'm planning to visit Kollur this week. Should I defer my travel?

We'll be three of us (me, wife & 2.5 year old daughter) in a low-GC hatch. I'm a sedate driver, so no matter how good the roads are, I generally end up with 60km/hr avg speeds. So considering all this, is all this doable, or am I over-reaching?

TIA!
I think it is now safe to travel (well, I hope it is so, since I just did!). There has been a case reported recently in northern Kerala. As general caution, as long as you are not venturing into the forest areas and stay within the main premises you should be ok.

I didn't find any stretch of the route to be a challenge for low GC vehicles and if you are keeping sedate speeds, which I think is a good idea and more comfortable, you won't encounter anything that poses a trouble. I didn't take the route via Kateel and hence can't comment on that.

I find your itinerary very much to be within the do-able realm. Enjoy your trip.
Mnjdnght is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 10:58   #295
Senior - BHPian

We are going to Kollur this weekend (Saturday out, Sunday return), in two cars - one Creta and one Endeavour. Our plan is to start from Bangalore is early morning (4 AM-ish). I need routing help - my only past trip to Kollur was from Mangalore.

Outbound: Looking at Bangalore-Hiriyur-Tarikere-Shimoga-Nagara-Kollur. OK for the two vehicles mentioned? I think problem will be with very narrow roads.

Return: Want to take a different route, preferably one that goes through Chikmagalur (and then onwards to Hassan-Channarayapatna-Nelamangala). How do I get to Chikmagalur from Kollur?

I expect the return to start mid-morning. We are travelling with children and elderly (people with diabetes/strict food timings) so restaurant recommendations will be helpful too.

Approximate driving duration would be helpful too. Google says 9 hours driving time for the outbound and 9.5 hours for the return via Nagara-Thirthahalli-Koppa.
Old 21st May 2019, 11:54   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Return: Want to take a different route, preferably one that goes through Chikmagalur (and then onwards to Hassan-Channarayapatna-Nelamangala). How do I get to Chikmagalur from Kollur?
I suggest the following for return leg:
Kollur-Vandse-Shankaranarayana-Agumbe-Sringeri-Chikmagalur-Bangalore

Just that Agumbe ghat will be a steep but short climb. Not sure about decent restaurants in this route.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 11:56   #297
Senior - BHPian

Is there any particular reason for taking Hiriyur-Tarikere route from Bangalore? Instead you can travel via Tumkur-Arsikere-Kadur-Tarikere-Shimoga. The latter route has good number of break points. The outward journey will take 9-10 hours, for return journey, you can reach Mudigere via Koppa and Balehonnur. Thereafter continue on Mudigere-Belur-Hassan road and join NH75 at Hassan.
I saw that you are traveling with elderly people and kids, hence asked you the question. I hope you have booked your accomodation in Kollur, it will be very humid in Kollur at this time of summer. Another suggestion is driving via Kunigal-Channarayapatna-Arsikere-Kadur-Shimoga route, this will give you ample break points with decent restrooms considering the 10 hours journey to Kollur.

Last edited by deehunk : 21st May 2019 at 12:21.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 12:09   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any particular reason for taking Hiriyur-Tarikere route from Bangalore?
Just that it is the route being recommended by Google Maps. If Tumkur-Arsikere-Tarikere is better I'm open to that.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 12:47   #299
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just that it is the route being recommended by Google Maps. If Tumkur-Arsikere-Tarikere is better I'm open to that.
With your 4am start, either route should be fine, just that local traffic, cattle, etc are more during day time on the Tumkur-Arsikere route. Break point options also won't be an advantage on this route with the early start (most eateries usually open 6:30 am or closer to 7am).

Last edited by NPV : 21st May 2019 at 12:49.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 19:13   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Outbound: Looking at Bangalore-Hiriyur-Tarikere-Shimoga-Nagara-Kollur. OK for the two vehicles mentioned? I think problem will be with very narrow roads.
Shimoga will be a point that you will have to cross whichever option you pick from the choices. The 2 most common routes are via Tumkur Tarikere (BH road) or the now popular Hiriyur - Ajjampura - Tarikere.

You are departing at 0400. This itself is a wonderful time that in a way spoils your choices when it comes to taking a pick. However my 2 cents:

Via Tumkur - Arasikere:
  • If you drive via Tumkur - Gubbi - Arasikere route, you will have to negotiate speed-breakers on this entire route along with return buses to Bangalore on a single carriageway originating from North Western KA destinations
  • Any delay in your departure timing will only mean further time consumption crossing multiple towns enroute - Tumkur, Gubbi, Arasikere, Banavara, Kadur, Birur & Tarikere
  • This route will mostly be single-carriageway, witness quite busy traffic as it is still one of the most important road connecting Bangalore to Shimoga and will have a mix of freight traffic along with KSRTC buses
  • Facilities wise, your best options are only at Birur and next one at Tarikere

Via Hiriyur - Ajjampura - Tarikere:
  • Faster progress due to dual carriageway for the first 160 kms till Hiriyur
  • Extremely thin traffic post Hiriyur via Hosadurga, Ajjampura till Tarikere with good roads and no speed-breakers and peaceful progress at good pace
  • Access to the same break point (at Tarikere) that would take around 3.5 Hours - Aramane Vaibhava
  • You only need to cross Tarikere town that you may have done if you chose any other route (apart from Channagiri route). All other town crossings post Hiriyur are cakewalks
Quote:
Via Chikmagalur will certainly be longer and an unwanted detour. I would not recommend this unless you want to simply experiment. I did Bangalore Shimoga via Chikmagalur recently via Lingadahalli Tarikere and the route is superior in terms of condition as well as traffic. However, it again makes no sense for you to divert all the way to Chikmagalur. A sensible alternate would be to reach Arasikere from Kollur via Teerthahalli - Managadde - Tarikere and then take Gandsi road to reach CR Patna and drive via the usual Mangalore- Bangalore highway.

Hope this helps.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks