Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 17:48   #61
Team-BHP Support

nix1976in, I've merged your thread here. You'll get better informations from this thread.
Also please search before starting a new thread.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:47   #62
BHPian

Draft Travel Diary

Hi,

This is my draft travel diary with the convoy.

Few assumptions:
- I am banking on early permit being delivered to me in Manali
- Buffer days are there to make up for any incidents
- I am going through HVK's travel logs and feedbacks to tweak the plan where necessary. The distance I calculated from online guides are not trustworthy and wonky
- I have kept a few days in places which are quite not required. That is to make up for road blocks etc and to give flexible schedules to the plan
- Few "?" in places where I would like to make choices "as-is" basis
- I am once again going through all the travel logs posted in 2009 by everyone who made this trip. Will contact them and rectify my plans where needed

Souvik
Attached Files
File Type: xls Leh - Souvik - TBHP.xls (16.5 KB, 424 views)
Old 21st April 2010, 02:19   #63

Hi Souvik.. seems like a plan is coming together for you

I am doing a similar sort of a route on my '89 RoadKing over 25 days in June-July. Also leaving from Bangalore but the trip meter starts only from Delhi.
I was wondering if you could let me in on job with getting hold of the inner line permits in Manali or before as I would love to do Korzok and Tangste before I get into Leh.. BRO and weather gods permitting of course.
Old 21st April 2010, 10:45   #64
Team-BHP Support

Do not do early permit thing. Its always wise to reach leh, and rest for a day. Give your body some rest and you get more time for acclimatization.
I would recommend some changes to your plan
1. Udaipur - Chandigarh is a good 14-15 hours drive but doable, since roads are excellent. Make sure you start early
2. At chandigarh take one rest day for char checking
3. Chandigar - Manali - No go. Drive to keylong instead - 15 hours, but you would already have rested, right?
4. Keylong Leh - Sarchu is cold windy and expensive. Keylong is a better bet
After you reach leh, use one day for permits and resting
5. Next day head to Hunder(4-5 hours drive). Spend noon evening and night there
6. Drive to Pangong(8-9 hours drive)
7. Spend full day in pangong(worth it)
8. Drive to karu - get fuel, and drive to Tso Moriri, you will reach in evening
9. Next day noon you drive back to leh

Some distances so you can calculate fuel

Leh - Panamik Diskit = 200kms(including some driving in dune area blah blah). some people skip Panamik. Drive is nice, but nothing to do there. chumathang has better hot springs. However, if you want to see a volcanic lake and are game to mountain climb for 1km for it, go ahead. Remember, its a tough tough tek
Diskit - Tangste -Pangong = 220kms approx
Pangong to Karu = 120kms
So total fuel need = 200+220+120+50kms(local roaming in car around these places) = 600kms approx. At 10kmpl you would need 60 liters of fuel. Safari 4x4 gave 8.5 approx for this terrain. I carried around 30 liters extra in jerrycans + 65 liters in tank and I barely had enough due to Marisimik la.

All the best!
Old 21st April 2010, 13:33   #65
BHPian

Post TSK Feedback..

Hi TSK,

Thank you. So post your feedback on the plan and after reading through HVK's 09 diary (HVKumar_s_LEH_TOUR_SEP_09_Daily_Summary_Plans) I have made some changes.

Just so that I got that right, I have added an additional sheet with some tentative Kms. do let me know if that is right.

I will be traveling on my Swift. You have done Hundar to Pangong via the Wari La. In your post, you did have to use 4WD in certain places. Do you think Swift can do that via that route? Or do I have to play safe and go via Leh?

I have still kept a few "buffer" days, so that I can deal with the "uncertain things" if they happen.

Thank you TSK, HVK.

Note: I have taken some distances from Ramky's maps too.

Souvik
Attached Files
File Type: xls Leh - Souvik - TBHP.xls (21.0 KB, 391 views)
Old 21st April 2010, 13:36   #66
Team-BHP Support

There are a couple of streches which may be bothersome if there is water running through.
Then the stretch to Tso Moriri has a sandy section which can be troublesome(check out gama to lama travelogue).
Other than that you are good to go.
Anyways, from Hunder - Pangong, take Wari La if there haven't been any rains in recent days. Otherwise, go via leh(10 hours).
On the bright side, you won't have fuel issues.
Old 21st April 2010, 13:50   #67
Senior - BHPian

Some quick comments on your revised plan:

Day 6, driving from Delhi/Chandigarh to Keylong is as good as impossible. I would suggest you halt overnight at Manali for final vehicle checks, refuelling, etc. Leaving Manali anytime after 7 am is asking for trouble since the day-trippers to Rohtang Pass will be jamming the road. Hence, makes sense to leave Manali at 4-5 am. Drive till Keylong will depend on how bad the roads are descending Rohtang to Gramphoo, the mud stretches between Gramphoo and Khoksar, the water crossings at Khoksar. Remember you have to also refuel at Tandi before Keylong, these fuel pumps open at 6 am, close by 7 pm. I would drive beyond Rohtang Pass after it is dark.

Day 7, Driving Keylong to Leh is a very very long day. I would try to stay overnight at Sarchu the previous day, despite the risk of acclimatisation. If that is not possible, I would push onto either Jispa or Darcha.

Day 10, Panamik is not on the way from Khardung la to Deskit, you have to turn off near the Tirth Bridge 15 kms before Desikit town and go 40 kms to reach Panamik. Honestly, other than the hot springs (not great), I did not see anything of interest in Panamik.

Day 11, Reaching Pangoing Tso on the same day from Hundar calls for early morning starts (6 am at least), some zestful driving and luck with the state of the roads. I would not push onto Pangong beyond Tangtse if it is a hot day (because of the snow melt and river flows at Pagal Nullah). However, since you are going in September, river crossing issues are minimal.

Day 18, You could push on beyond Kargil till Sankoo/Panikkar/Purkichey to reduce the duration of the drive on Day 19, it being a very long and tough drive.

Day 22, You can easily drive from Kargil to Srinagar.
Old 21st April 2010, 13:55   #68
Team-BHP Support

Actually the traffic jam hours are from around 8am to 4pm.
As long as you don't come in at this window, you are okay.
Leaving from Manali at 7am will clear you from the jam comfortably

Regarding Panamik, I gave the distance for Leh-Panamik-turnback to diskit

Regarding Pagal Nallah, there is a bridge over it now. We started from diskit around 10am and were at Tangste around 5pm inspite of resting at Wari La, and a small brunch break.

I would not recommend Padum for a car. Risk of tire damage is high due to sharp stony track.
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:03   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvik View Post

I will be traveling on my Swift. You have done Hundar to Pangong via the Wari La. In your post, you did have to use 4WD in certain places. Do you think Swift can do that via that route? Or do I have to play safe and go via Leh?
You do not need 4WD anywhere in this route, but may be some 1st gear or 2nd gear driving at places.

And swift will do fine

Last edited by rkbharat : 22nd April 2010 at 15:04.
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:09   #70
Senior - BHPian

I second what rkbharat says, but bear in mind that conditions are not uniform thorughout the season. It is only by September that the road gets laid over Wari la and till then, driving conditions can be tough and unpredictable. You must be particularly wary of the river crossing after turning off the Khalasar-Khardung la road towards Agham, as well as the road leading to Agham after that. The climb up to Wari la also has some nasty sections that can pose problems for any vehicle. Keep an open mind on driving this section, take a view once you reach the area for actual conditions on day of drive, keep a buffer in case you have to go via Leh.
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
for Leh-Panamik-turnback to diskit

Regarding Pagal Nallah, there is a bridge over it now. We started from diskit around 10am and were at Tangste around 5pm inspite of resting at Wari La, and a small brunch break.
Pagal Nullah bridges keep coming and going, they get torn away by the torrential water flow from time to time, and conditions are totally unpredictable. During my previous trips - as also the latest one - I have been told stories of how the bridges have been violently thrust aside during the snow melt season in Apr-Jun.

To give you a comparative, we left Desikit at 630 am, crossed Wari la at 10 am, Chang la at 130 pm (with 30 minutes lunch break, no other), and in Tangtse at 300 pm.
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:25   #72
BHPian

Thank you HVK, rkbharat and TSK.

What I am doing is, I will make 2 plans for now. 1st being on how and if I get permits in advance and the 2nd being going to Leh and getting the permit. In either case, I have quite a few days of buffer built in so that we can take the drive based on existing situations and conditions.

Don't want to put in too many things or just long drives in everyday. Will space that out to accommodate uncertainties.

As you have said, this is no child's play. Once I have the spaced out plan (1st and 2nd option), I will repost.

Souvik
Old 27th April 2010, 01:10   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I would not recommend Padum for a car. Risk of tire damage is high due to sharp stony track.
What about a motorbike? I am considering Padum to be on my itinerary. I will be traveling in the month of June.
Old 27th April 2010, 10:43   #74
Team-BHP Support

Motorbikes are better than 4x4s up there. If you see a rock, you drive around it.
You can check out Yogesh Sarkars Padum log on his website(google it)
Old 29th April 2010, 10:53   #75
BHPian

Souvik -

Though not much researched, here is my plan, having done these routes before
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...eh-2010-a.html
Amended list
Plan: Hyderabad to Leh
When: Either July ( For Confluence) [not happening]or September (2nd Week)[Still on]
How: 1 Thunder Bird,[Dropping off] 1 Zen (could be replaced!!)[cant be replaced, if at all Zen'd to Leh]
Who: Team-member from office, Self, Dad (Will try to Coax him) [no one accompanying doing it alone]
Mode: Personal/Official (Adventure/Charity trip, trying to convince our PR Manager) [ more likely semi-official]
Stay: Mostly on my own
Closed Thread

Most Viewed