Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2012, 12:49   #4216
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Off to Udupi on Saturday morning. I have been a regular on the Hassan-Chickamaglur-Agumbe ghat route... but over the last few months, usually take the Shiradi ghats. But just curious about the Bangalore - Coorg - Mangalore route. How long is the route/condition? I may stay over at Madikeri if its a longer route.
Old 6th September 2012, 16:30   #4217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoner View Post
Off to Udupi on Saturday morning. I have been a regular on the Hassan-Chickamaglur-Agumbe ghat route... but over the last few months, usually take the Shiradi ghats. But just curious about the Bangalore - Coorg - Mangalore route. How long is the route/condition? I may stay over at Madikeri if its a longer route.
I recently did Mysuru-Madikeri-Mangalore. Not sure if all of that applies to you, but the route was very good all the way to Mangalore. Almost nil potlholes (only a few humongous unmarked speed breakers after mysore). Lots of mist near Madikeri since it was raining so you have to drive slow, otherwise very nice. Less traffic too!
shreeps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 18:14   #4218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
I recently did Mysuru-Madikeri-Mangalore. otherwise very nice. Less traffic too!
Thank you for the update, Shreeps

The roads inside Puttur town were in a mess a couple of months back. Hope it has been levelled. Puttur to Mani was also bad.
roamingrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 18:37   #4219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Thank you for the update, Shreeps

The roads inside Puttur town were in a mess a couple of months back. Hope it has been levelled. Puttur to Mani was also bad.
Well, I didn't actually go inside Puttur. If I remember correctly, the route was something like Mysore - Hunsur - Madikeri - Sampaje - Aranthodu - Subramanya - Kadaba - Uppinangadi - Mangalore (via Bangalore-Mangalore highway)
shreeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 19:40   #4220
Senior - BHPian

@Shreeps

I think you avoided Sullya-puttur-mani, that is why such good feedback I was wondering how

I hear Sullya to puttur is bad at few stretches and Puttur-mani is still messed up as you near mani.

Atleast people can avoid Puttur city by taking the Puttur bypass which is decent.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 20:39   #4221
BHPian

Thanks shreeps, roamingrao and rajshenoy for the feedback :-)
Old 7th September 2012, 09:44   #4222
BHPian

Hi Folks, I recently did a Bangalore - Mangalore round trip over the last weekend. We left Bangalore (Malleswaram) around 5.45AM stopped for breakfast @ Kamat Udaipura @ 7.45AM.Left from there @ 8.15AM and reached Mangalore @12.15PM. The roads were decent until a few kms after Sakleshpur. It was bad in patches for the stretch between Sakleshpur and Gundya. But it was doable with a bit of patience.

It rained cats and dogs over the weekend, On the return journey on Tuesday we left @ 12.30 PM and managed to reach Sakleshpur only by 3.30PM and to my surprise the road condition had deterioted significantly in a matter of couple of days on the Gundya to Sakleshpur stretch. But for folks who have seen Shiradi Ghat during the hay days of mining lobby it is still a 1000 Times better as the road is damaged only in patches and not throughout. During that time you would find bits of roads only in patches while it is not so now.

Left Sakleshpur only by 4.20PM and reached Nelmangla toll @ 7.15PM and finally Banneghatta road (Arekere) @ 7.50PM. I feel inspite of the bad patches Shiradi is still the best route to Mangalore and beyond for now.The scenic beauty of the western ghats covered with greenary is simply amazing!!

Below was the amount spent on tolls-
1) Nelmangla Express way - 20(One way)
2) Nelmangla to Bellur Cross,2 tolls of - 36 each (One way)
3) BC Road Bridge - 5 Bucks (one way)
4) Nice Road- Tumkur Road - Bannerghatta Road exit - 109 (One way - this one is a loot by Nice!!)

Last edited by VarunM : 7th September 2012 at 09:47. Reason: Changed the toll rate for Nelmangla Express way
VarunM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 12:33   #4223
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Kundapura

Guys,

Given the current state of roads, what would be the best option for a Bangalore-Kundapura drive?

Thanks in advance...
Old 11th September 2012, 15:01   #4224
BHPian

I'd still vouch for the Shiradi route rather than any other route to travel to the coastal side of our state.Yes,there are rough patches but these are driveable.
Old 11th September 2012, 15:05   #4225
BANNED

Somewhat OT:
My son drove Manipal to South Goa yesterday. It should be a five hour drive max. Took him over 6-1/2. He reports that there is no road (only potholes) for about 20km around Kundapur.
Old 11th September 2012, 15:10   #4226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Somewhat OT:
My son drove Manipal to South Goa yesterday. It should be a five hour drive max. Took him over 6-1/2. He reports that there is no road (only potholes) for about 20km around Kundapur.
Yes,this is on the fag end of the kundapur stretch(Place called hemmadi).That stretch on the NH is perpetually bad throughout the year
There are some heavy duty constructions activities in progress there and I am guessing that the lorries carring the materials could be the culprits.Even otherwise,traffic density on that NH is pretty high
Old 11th September 2012, 23:00   #4227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
If your travel is Anegudde temple, why not go via Shimoga, BLR-GUBBI-SHIMOGA-THIRTHAHALLI-AGUMBE-SOMESHWAR-HALADI-KOTESHWAR-ANEGUDDE(434~450)
did this route over the weekend, the roads are good all throughout- only 2 patches were not in good state
Thirthalli to agumbe - the second half of 15 kms was in real bad state..and raining heavily too.
Someshwar to koteshwar was rough road.. not good ..only for small stretches in between is in OK shape....
Old 12th September 2012, 09:59   #4228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Somewhat OT:
With so much of rains battering along the coast, i think coastal NH is in bad shape. One of my relative keeps travelling regularly to Mumbai on the multi-axle Volvo and he said the road is bad throughout and the bus literally halts at some place to negotiate these bad roads but they can still feel the "thud"
Old 12th September 2012, 12:21   #4229
Senior - BHPian

How about the following option:

Bangalore - Shimoga - Tirthahalli - Hulikal - Siddapura - Vandse

Anyone done this recently?
Old 12th September 2012, 12:58   #4230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Bangalore - Shimoga - Tirthahalli - Hulikal - Siddapura - Vandse
Hulikal is a nightmare right now. Three weeks back I almost took it on the way to Kodachadri, then locals told me to take Kollur route and avoid Hulikal. The road between Kollur-Kodachadri was no picnic, but better then Hulikal.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed